• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 1,526 Views, 30 Comments

Red Heart Checkout: Autobiography Of A Disturbed Patient - ShadowSteed



A patient from Ponyville Hospital tells his story

  • ...
0
 30
 1,526

Pieces to the puzzle.

This stallion..... He bore almost EVERY resemblance to me. How could this be? I had so many questions flying around my head that it nearly brought back the pain in my head wound. I wasn't sure what to think. Was this more smoke and mirrors to confuse me? Was I simply dreaming and only seeing a rendition of a subconscious fantasy? I had to know for the sight of that picture opened a thick hole within my heart.

At this point, I began to think the diary could hold some more answers. Maybe reading more of it could bring back forgotten memories if this really was me. I walked to the location where I had tossed the diary and opened it, once again, to a random page. My heart was beating like a drum; I wasn't sure if I was anxious or terrified to figure out the truth. I decided to read farther back from the page that opened earlier. This page read:

January 1st, 2006,

Another orbit around Celestia's bright, beautiful sun has passed, and another fantastic year with my adoring husband. Next month will be our 2 year anniversary and I have something very special planned for him. Oh ever since the day we met I have been head over hooves in love with him. He treats me so well; he's so loving, so caring, so indescribably wonderful. I can't imagine living a day without his warm embrace, the soft, tender feel of his hooves as he brushes it across my mane, but the very best thing about him that I adore the most is the very special ways he tells me he loves me. He would always make such a speech telling me how much I mean to him and how much he cares for me and everything move I make. It brings me to tears every time to know that he puts so much effort into this marriage. I honestly don't know where I would be without him.

Reading this one entry brought me to tears. This stallion, or me, was clearly a commendable pony if he was able to make Nurse Redheart feel such a way. It brought no memories though. I couldn't remember doing anything like this, but I surely would never forget a pony as wonderful as Nurse Redheart. What caused him to leave? The first entry said something about going out to sea so I looked around the diary some more. In my search, I found a page with ink all around it making the words almost unreadable, clearly the work of tears while the the entry was being written, but most of it was legible and I was able to piece it together.

[Date illegible by ink smudge]

Today I recieved the most horrible news. I woke up this morning ready to see my husband's bright, smiling face, but his face was not there, nor his body, nor his warm loving embrace to greet me to a brand new day. In his place instead was a letter and a note. As I read it, my tears could not hold themselves in, and my sobs could not keep quiet. The letter was a letter from the Equestrian Navy with a list of reserves' names needed to go out to seas. When I looked through the names, there was his. [Name illegible by ink smudge]. My heart sank to the very pits of my despair as I read the note that my husband left. He told me that he had been called to duty and rushed out of the house as I slept. His generals wouldn't even give him the time to say goodbye to me, but they let him write me a note. It said that he didn't know how long he would be gone, but he will keep me in his thoughts every moment and he guarantees his safe return one day. I am overtaken with many conflicted emotions. I don't know what dangers he's being brought into, or what time to expect his return, but I will keep his bedside warm every night and hold his memory dear to my heart. I can only hope he returns soon unharmed and with open arms to embrace me once more.

I closed the diary for I could bear to read no more. This wonderful stallion was clearly one for very many words of honor. I have no recollection of being called to duty within the Equestrian Navy, though I did sign up for it. This answered so few questions though. I still had to know more. I decided to read one more entry and than I would put down this accursed book whether I got my answers or not. As I turned pages in the diary once more, I found the date I checked into the hospital whilst still in my coma. This was sure to give me the answers I needed.

September 1-

Before I could read the next page, I heard a voice behind me that broke the silence of the room say "Hello Honey."

I fumbled with the book in surprise and quickly turned around hiding it behind my back. Before me stood Nurse Redheart, bloody, breathing heavily, and a look in her eves that still give me nightmares to this day. Aside from being started by her appearance, I played it off as if nothing unusual was happening.

"Oh! Nurse Redheart!" I said, "When did you get here?"

"I just walked in." She replied, "I see you're reading a book from my shelf?"

I tried to sound as nonchalant as possible "Oh yeah! You were gone so long that I decided to just grab one of the books. You know, to pass the time."

"Oh? Which one dear?"

"I......I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure yet! I just picked it up." At this moment, I tucked the diary into a convenient pocket in my hospital clothes, and grabbed another random book.

"Hmm..... Okay dear. Well you said you wanted to know about me?"

"Yeah! You know, about that, I DID want to get to know you, but my head wound is starting to act up again" I lied. "So i'm afraid we're gonna have to reschedule."

Nurse Redheart just put on her warm loving smile. "Okay dear, well let me help you back to your room so I can give you some medicine for your head."

"Nurse Redheart? Why are you all bloody? Did somepony try to hurt you?"

"Oh no dear. I'm fine. It's just that the receptionist called at a rather bad time and that was very rude. So I just wanted to make sure she..... wouldn't do it again."

Nurse Redheart gave a giggle unlike her usual kind. It was more insane and less cute. I thought little of it as hr beauty once again blinded me from seeing the truth. She than escorted me to my room. Along the way, I saw some of the doctors' faces and they seemed terrified at Nurse Redheart's very presence. I than laid down on my bed once more and took a small headache pill Nurse Redheart gave me and began to doze to sleep. As I slept, the pieces of the puzzle started to come together. The murder, the strange behavior, the unusual treatment. It all began to make sense. My heart started to fill with dread as the realizations started to come to me, but this still doesn't answer the main question: Is the stallion in the wedding photo really me?

I would achieve my answer sooner than I expected.

There was a sudden buzz that awoken me. The buzz was the usual one to signal the door was opening. A few seconds later the door clicked shut and I heard hoofsteps walking towards me. I turned around to see who it was and the sight could not have been more confusing. In walked a strange, gruff-looking stallion with a scar & stitches on his face. He seemed to look at me with pleasure as if he knew me, yet I had no idea who he was.

"Ah!" The strange stallion said, "It's good to see you after all these years."

I looked at him more confused than ever. ANOTHER pony claiming to know me yet i've never seen before in my life. I could swear this time I was dreaming.

The strange stallion's smile faded from his face as he said, "What's wrong? You look as if you don't recognize me."

"Well..." I replied, "That's because I don't."

The stallion pondered on my response for a while. Than responded,

"Oh forgive me. I almost forgot that mother never introduced us before splitting us up."

I never looked more confused in my life.

"Split up? What are you talking about?"

The stallion just chuckled. "Allow me to introduce myself, I am..... Your twin brother.