• Published 21st Dec 2016
  • 1,362 Views, 39 Comments

Cinnamon's Journal - Mocha Star



The portal to earth is open and culture has to be shared. Cinnamon and his family are one of the first to cross over and experience Earth.

  • ...
32
 39
 1,362

Traveling to Our New Home

I woke up in the hotel on the bed second, after Amber had gotten up to pee. I yawned a little too loud and woke Blueberry up then we started our day. Written Letter was the last up and she drooled a lot, it was funny to see. Timber made a child’s observation and it was a funny one about sleeping in water. After we’d all used the bathroom and helped each other get dressed in more casual traveling attire to stave the cold, we left the hotel after our Helpers had gotten the wagons ready.

The temperature had dropped overnight and while we were still warm our coats were still summer and not winter, but that’d change quick enough if it stayed cold. I didn’t want to have to shed when I moved into the new house, but it’d be okay because I wouldn’t be the only one. There’s a freshness to the air here that I can’t describe.

The planet is covered with water, unlike ours, so that may play a role in it. The children needed some time to play before we got into the wagon so while they played we went to our bags in the trunk of the wagon and that caused a stir. Our food and vegetables weren’t supposed to come over so the Helpers took them all and put them in a garbage bag before taking it into their wagon and scolding Written Letter for not asking us. I didn’t have to understand what was being said to know we’d gotten her in trouble.

She was almost ready to cry before I butted in and told him to be nice to our translator because she didn’t know and we didn’t either. The Helper stopped scolding and rubbed his head before turning away and mumbling something. Written Letter nuzzled me and thanked me, then told me to let her worry about human interactions. She’d be there for us when we got to our new house, it turns out.

There’s an office downtown that she will be at, with the Helpers, and anything my family needs they’ll help with. I thanked her and told her that we needed our pendants and we got them while the Helpers went through our other bags to make sure we didn’t smuggle anything else from Equestria.

I thought it was mean of them to think we were smugglers because it was an honest mistake and we didn’t know about trade not being negotiated yet between humans and Equestria. When we put the pendants they activated and it turns out I was wrong! The basic language was translated so when the Helpers were talking about what to do with the food we brought over Lilli said in human that we could share it.

The humans were startled that she could speak and understand at first then we told them about our pendants and that they were a gift from Princess Twilight Sparkle and maybe she didn’t know they’d be so effective. There were words that wouldn’t translate, of course. Like when I asked for a little time to groom my family before we began traveling they didn’t understand.

There’s no word for grooming to translate to because Written Letter said our word for grooming was a combination of four of their words, so there was going to be some learning that we’d still need to do. I made sure she translated that but we were told we’d have to groom in the wagon that they said was named Ford. It’s a nice name for a wagon, but I wouldn’t think to name a wagon. Humans.

We got into Ford and began the next leg of our trek and brushed and cleaned each other. We hadn’t taken a shower or bath yet on this earth so we were nervous about how it’d work since the toilet rooms were so small that we couldn’t all get in we didn’t think of how small the showers or baths were.

The one in the hotel wasn’t too small, but hotels always make things nicer than home so you’ll come back next time so the bathtubs might only be large enough for two of us at a time. That would be annoying because we can’t socialize as a family in the bath if we can’t all bathe together.

We rode inside Ford for another couple hours and talked with our driver, Carl, about earth and some of the stuff we’d see in our new home and city and he didn’t really know. He was just a driver and once we were dropped off we’d have to ask our Helpers. I forgot their names but I’ll ask again when we stop and eat.

It’ll be in a town called Fargo and that’ll be the last stop until we get to Grand Forks. I hope that we’ll be accepted quickly into human society. Amber is certain that we’ll have some challenges but I know that as long as we stay together there won’t be too much trouble.