• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 420 Views, 1 Comments

Hourglass - DuskPhoenix



An "automaton" resembling a pony made of living glass is accidentally freed from its prison deep in the Castle of the Two Sisters.

  • ...
 1
 420

3: Clear as Mud

Moments before Rarity, Starlight, and Spike burst through the door, the library had settled into a sense of relative peace. Null flipped through book after book at the table in a pattern so monotonous even Twilight had resigned to doing her own thing. She sat in a chair with full view of the library, perusing a new book on thermal magic she had been gifted. Fluttershy and Pinkie walked past every few minutes, dusting and returning the piles of books on the table to what was more-or-less their rightful places. Applejack and Rainbow were across the room running out of library-related things that they could turn into a contest and just slouching in chairs.

Moments after Rarity, Starlight, and Spike burst through the door, that relative peace may as well have never existed.

"Girls, Spike," Twilight called out, "you're back!"

"Finally, thank Celestia," Rainbow groaned as she let herself slide out of her chair completely.

"Ohh, ohh, what did Mayor Mare say? Is everypony panicking? Is the town on fire? Does Null legally count as a pony enough for me to throw them a party?"

Starlight raised an eyebrow at Pinkie. "Null? I thought we named it Nopony."

"Fluttershy thought that was a mite bit rude and confusing," Applejack explained, "so it got renamed."

"I still think Zipper Lips was perfect." Rainbow grumbled, earning herself a quiet sigh from Fluttershy.

"Well Mayor Mare was certainly grateful for an explanation, or as much of one as we could give." Rarity explained. "Apparently she was already getting worried comments from ponies who'd seen our, ah, guest." Everypony glanced over at Null, who was still flipping through books and accumulating pages of alphabet soup. "Speaking of," Rarity continued, "there isn't any reason to worry for us either, right?"

"As far as we can tell it just wants books," Rainbow sighed. "Lots and lots of really boring books about crops and history and stuff. It's not even really reading them!"

"Well, that's sure weird, but at least it's not doing anything dangerous," Starlight shrugged. Twilight nodded in agreement, and the group fell into deep thought.

"Well then, er, if there isn't any threat from it..." Rarity trailed off, not meeting Twilight's eyes.

"Can we go?" Rainbow finished. Rarity winced, shooting Rainbow a glare, but it fell into a sigh.

"I'm terribly sorry, darling, but I was already behind on orders and this is prime time for customers at the boutique." Rarity explained, fiddling with her mane.

"I've got a lotta work I should be doing as well if you don't need all of us here no more." Applejack added. Fluttershy and Pinkie nodded along.

Twilight smiled encouragingly. "Of course. Don't worry, I have Starlight and Spike with me in case anything does happen, and I promise to call you right away this time. Thank you for helping me."

The six mares joined together in a group hug, which parted for a moment as Pinkie pulled Starlight and Spike in as well. Rainbow was the first to leave, after which Twilight's other friends filtered out until Starlight, Twilight and Spike were left waving at a closing door. A page turned in the silence, reminding the three of the catalyst for all the day's events.

"So..." Starlight attempted to break the silence, but found herself just awkwardly trailing off. Clearing her throat, she tried again. "Have you figured out anything about what "the end" it was talking about was?"

Twilight just groaned. "No, nothing at all. It only talks if it can't find a book, and it just ignores most of what I ask!" She rubbed the bridge of her muzzle, sighing. "I swear, it almost feels like this thing is trying to drive me up the walls."

"Maybe it'll talk when it's done doing... Whatever it's doing." Spike suggested, just the slightest bit of hope in his voice. Behind him, Null robotically reached for another book without saying a word.

"I appreciate the optimism," Twilight said, "but it would be nice to know something solid about what's going on."

Almost before she was done speaking, Spike belched a fountain of green flame that curled up into a letter bearing Celestia's seal. Twilight caught it in her magic, eagerly opening it as Starlight looked on.

"Wow. The Princess really has great timing." Starlight said, getting a nod from Spike.

"Honestly? It's kinda weird." Spike whispered back when he thought Twilight wouldn't hear. Twilight was a bit too busy reading the letter to notice, a frown growing across her muzzle. After a moment of silence, she levitated the letter wordlessly towards Starlight, who read it with concern.

From the pen of Quick Quill, Royal Scribe
Addressing Princess Twilight,

I, Quick Quill, Royal Scribe, am most apologetic, but Princess Celestia is currently at a charity event and cannot respond to your missive. However, I, Quick Quill, Royal Scribe, would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the Princess' excitement for your tea tomorrow morning. She has been greatly looking forward to it, and you may receive a faster answer by reiterating your missive then.

Your Most Humble Servant Quick Quill, Royal Scribe

Starlight looked up in confusion. "I didn't know you had a tea with Princess Celestia planned."

Twilight shook her head, lowering her voice so only Starlight and Spike could hear. "That's just it, I didn't."

All three looked back down at the letter, a feeling of unease settling over them. Null closed another book somewhere behind them, and then stood up with their chair scraping the crystal floor. Twilight rolled up the letter and shoved it into Spike's claws as Null glanced over at her.

"Alright, I'm going to borrow your seismograph," Null droned, walking casually past the mares and dragon, "try not to tip any furniture."

Starlight was the first to react, reaching out a hoof. "Hey, you can't just take something from the castle without asking!"

"I'll give it back," came the flippant response.

Starlight groaned in frustration, flashing Twilight a look of annoyance. "Maybe ask Celestia if she can find anything about making this thing less rude." With that, Starlight bolted off to follow the glass pony, leaving Twilight and Spike with their growing confusion.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment