• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 2,394 Views, 80 Comments

Turn Cruel - Gpizano



What turns a good girl cruel?

  • ...
13
 80
 2,394

Cruel?

A Changeling's entire life was based on survival solely because of the one flaw in their biology, their need to consume an abstract concept known as love. They went from civilization to civilization, infiltrating, feeding, and at times even destroying so that the ashes faded away in the winds of time, forgotten. A single Changeling could face many threats, magical ponies, ferocious minotaurs, deadly dragons as they lived and searched for the source that would give them life and energy. Together, a hive of Changelings would fight and die for their queen.

Alone, however, and they could be made to cower in fear.

The fake Filthy Rich was doing just that, torn between loyalty to his queen and terror as he watched the horde of Changeling fall. In this new form that used dark magic, Sunset Shimmer blew through them like a raging storm, magic like a dark fire washing over the Changelings. Wherever Sunset Shimmer fired her magic, Changelings fell, alive but out of commission and helpless. She held back... he knew she was holding back. With that much power coming off of her, it seemed to fill the air with a sort of static that all in the area could feel.

When the last Changeling had fallen, Sunset Shimmer turned her attention to him, black and blue eyes fixing a hard glare onto him as she slowly approached, stepping over the prone bodies of his fallen comrades. For a moment it felt like he couldn't move, couldn't breath as she stalked closer, prey to a more powerful predator. When he could finally move his legs, the Changeling turned to run but froze before even taking a single step as someone appeared from the shadows.

"M-My queen... Queen Chrysalis."

The woman stood tall but with a thin body, covered by a long dress that started off a teal green at the top and ended in a sickly, harlequin green at the bottom with holes and tears. Her skin had a dark, black tone to it and her long hair a slightly lighter teal blue compared to her dress. Bright green eyes stared at the scene in disgust, displeased to see her children having fallen so easily... and that one had been about to run away.

"You sniveling coward... go to those guarding Sunset Shimmer's friends, tell them to be ready. I will deal with our guest."

With a nod, the fake Filthy Rich turned and ran off, Sunset Shimmer keeping an eye on him and noting where exactly he was heading into the woods before looking back to Queen Chrysalis.

"Hmm, I had not expected you to embrace dark magic, Sunset Shimmer. Oh what your friends would think. How disappointed Princess Celestia would be."

To Chrysalis's satisfaction she had managed to elicit a small response from the other, a small clench in the fists as Sunset Shimmer's glare intensified.

"But where she would be so naively judgmental, I, however, am more open to opportunities. Which is why I will give you one last chance to-"

In the blink of an eye Sunset Shimmer was in front of her in a flash of light, her magically enhanced fist colliding with Chrysalis's mouth with enough force to send the Changeling queen flying back. Luckily the woman managed to roll back onto her feet after hitting the ground, hissing at Sunset Shimmer and wiping the trickle of blood from the corner of her mouth.

"I really have no patience for this Chrysalis. This will end in one of two ways... either you will step aside, take your Changelings and go back through the portal. Or, as I become more in tune with my power, I will beat you into the ground and break your legs so that you will have to crawl back."

Continuing to glare at the other, Sunset watched as the queen of Changeling slowly pushed herself back up onto her feet, dusting off her dress before looking up with a smirk to Sunset Shimmer.

"An interesting thing we have learned about the magic in this world. There is magic, but it's so foreign compared to our own that it is hard to tap into. And it takes time for Equestrian magic to convert into human magic. Yet even while not working at it's full potential, I would say even having the fraction of the power of a god will be more than enough for you!"

It happened too fast for Sunset Shimmer to react as Chrysalis held up a necklace... with a grey and red amulet with the shape of an alicorn at the top. It was around Chrysalis's neck just as the high schooler began to move to stop her, soon blinded by a flash of sinister red light to the point that she had to raise an arm to shield her eyes. Then she felt long, slender fingers wrapped around her throat as she was lifted off of her feet and into the air.

Sunset grabbed onto the wrist, eyes opening and shocked to see the new form of Chrysalis. While the same as before, her pupils were slit, the canines of her teeth were sharp fangs, insect-like wings were on her back and a crooked, wicked looking black horn had sprouted from her head as red aura seemed to seep from her eyes.

"Now... what was that before? About beating me into the ground?"


"Hurry up you idiots! We have to be ready for anything!"

The fake Filthy Rich was extremely nervous as he watched the dozen Changelings guarding the six pods move about, getting their weapons at the ready and forming a tight perimeter around their prizes. Six glowing green pods stood in the center of a clearing in the fortress, containing six girls that all appeared to be fast asleep inside. The five human elements of harmony and this world's Twilight Sparkle. They all had been touched by magic, they had it within them as part of their very beings. It had made studying this world's magic so much easier and had helped to speed up the process of returning some of the alicorn amulet's power.

However there came loud sounds in the distance, almost like explosions and they appeared to be drawing nearer. The faker had only a split second to jump out of the way as two bodies flew by, one covered in an ominous red aura and the other in a blue and black one. They had miraculously managed to miss the pods but the resulting debris from the trees they plowed through embedded themselves deep, with one pod having a very large tear in it.

"G-Get the pods out of here! We can't lose-"

The Changeling was put down by a blast of magic from Sunset Shimmer, losing his form and collapsing to the ground. Those that had not been wounded or knocked out by Sunset Shimmer and Chrysalis plowing through immediately fled to safer areas, leaving the two beings to battle without distraction.

While they seemed evenly matched, Chrysalis was slowly gaining the upper hand, pushing Sunset Shimmer back until finally an explosion of magic knocked the girl off her feet, leaving an opening for the Changeling queen to grab the other with her magic and begin throwing her about like a rag doll.

"You should have joined me Sunset Shimmer! We could have ruled this pathetic world together! But instead you chose your friends."

The final toss sent Sunset Shimmer through another tree before Chrysalis levitated a dozen more into the air and brought them down on top of the red head. When the smoke finally cleared, a large pile of broken trees covered the area where Sunset Shimmer had been. Chrysalis approached cautiously but with confidence that she had finally won, a sneer on her face as she looked to the pile where underneath she assumed Sunset's broken body lie.

"Such weakness..."

Suddenly Sunset shot out of the pile, looking battered but fine as she grabbed the front of Chrysalis's dress. Wings of black light appeared on her back and with a mighty flap she shot them into the air, climbing higher despite the battering that the queen started to give her, one hand reaching to grab the alicorn amulet.

"You fool! Only I can remove it!"

"Maybe... but I'm willing to bet such a powerful magic item is unstable from such a different magic! If I work my own magic just right, I bet I could get this thing to malfunction so badly that it blows up!"

"You wouldn't! It'll kill us both!"

"Do I look afraid to die?!"

Fearful green eyes stared back into determined teal blue, quickly losing in the game of chicken as she felt a magical pulse emit from the amulet as Sunset Shimmer's began pumping her magic into it. With a frustrated cry, Chrysalis took the amulet off and tossed it, teleporting away with Sunset Shimmer just in time as the explosion rocked the sky.

They reappeared back on the ground, this time with Sunset Shimmer's hand wrapped around the queen's throat, her fist raised as if ready to strike the woman before her. This pest had caused so much suffering... she could hear a small voice in the back of her head tell her it was best to just end this being's miserable life now. But...

"S-Sunset?"

Slowly looking over her shoulder, she saw that one of the pods had been opened enough that Fluttershy had woken up and crawled out. The pink haired girl's whole body looked like it had seized up in fear, eyes wide as she stared back at Sunset.

"S-Sunset... don't..."

Looking away and back down at Chrysalis, the woman trying to look stoic but her eyes betraying the fear she truly felt. Sunset tried to ignore Fluttershy up until she felt a part of arms around her mid-section as the kind girl wrapped her up in a hug, sounding as if she were crying. It made Sunset all the more conflicted about what to do as she heard Fluttershy plead to her.

"P-Please... don't. Don't kill!"

Author's Note:

This will probably piss off some people...

But hey, my story and I say it end here. Cliff hanger with Sunset Shimmer's future ambiguous now that the law is after her for that chase through the streets and such.

ENJOY! :trollestia:

Comments ( 49 )

Definitely an alright story. drawn in broad, emotional strokes. Respect you for the cliffhanger.

7496594 Thank ya' kindly. :twilightsmile:

Cliffhangers this big usually do more than just annoy me, but the rest of the story was done well enough that I don't really mind. I liked this a lot. Moustaches all around! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

7531521 I know right? I can't believe I've never run into a story where Sunset Shimmer uses her dark powers for the sake of saving her friends.

And yeah, if I'm being honest, I wasn't sure how to end it in any other way than a cliff hanger.

7531528 The two tropes I hate more than anything else are 'Dark is Evil. 'Light is Good'. I understand that even when played morally gray, the Dark is...well, dark. It's hard and cold, but I find it comforting.
Just because ponies like Sombra are associated with dark magic, doesn't mean that all of Dark Magic is used for nefarious purposes or has to be seen as an all corrupting evil. It can be used for good. I tend to see it more as addictive, but controllable and to be fair, Sunset's introduction to it was...well, let's say 'skewed'.
And then there's light. Just cause it's called that doesn't make it good. In fact, Trixie may be the prime example. She used only light magic in her first appearance, and the Alicorn Amulet was never stated to use Dark Magic in the canon, so...
In my own headcanons, I like to see the Element magic, Omnimagic, Harmony magic, whatever its actually called, as a fusion of all three. Dark, Light, and Chaos. You can't have light without dark, order without chaos, day without night. Without another side, nothing has balance, the definition of Harmony. Dark Magic can be used righteously as much as Light Magic can be used nefariously, and I wish that was expressed more often, ESPECIALLY with Sunset.

7531539 You don't have to tell me, I played the games when you WANTED the black magic user on your team in Final Fantasy since he had the best damage spells. XD

But yeah, this started with the intention of just being a one shot and then I just kinda went along with extending it. If I was going to give a proper treatment of Sunset using her demon powers for good despite the stigma attached to it, it'd be longer than five pages and such.

7531596 I feel you.
This has certainly given me a few new ideas for the Sunset I tend to use in my various RPs. :yay:


Why do i have the urge to finally pick up FF7?...it's probably nothing. :twilightblush:

7531601 Glad I could inspire ya'. But yeah, it would be awesome to see a Sunset Shimmer more in this treatment. Getting over feeling guilty and afraid of dark magic and using it for good and such. Also where she's a bit like Ghost Rider. XD

Suuuuure, it's a totally innocent thought brought on by nothing. *cough*playfinalfantasy7*cough* :twilightsheepish:

Edit: BUT OH YEAH! You like to rp ponies too?!

7531611
Sunset Shimmer, Spirit of Friendship Vengence. I like it. :pinkiecrazy:

...that's strange, when did I open Steam? :rainbowlaugh:

7531614 Right?! Also in terms of opening Steam...

7531624 Okay, firstly, I've been wondering where the hell that song was from for a few months now ever since:

(2:28)
Its been driving me nuts.

And yeah, my GF and I have been RPing since 2014 I think. Its funny what you can be convinced to do in a Skype call. It started as one simple little test RP and now we have a whole damned AU spanning 1000+ years, at least two dimensions, and at least 100 OCs. :applejackconfused:

7531632 JESUS CHRIST MAN! I can't even make MY rps last for a few months! :applejackconfused:

7531685 I dunno how it happened. We'll start one and set it down for a while and come back. We have like...what, 40 docs total? Lost track, only maybe 8 are done completely. We try to limit it to no longer than 100 pages. Think the first ones were around 120-150-ish.
/shrug/ It happens.

On 'Easily Amused' by the way. Jackie's making me split my sides with the BS she's pulling on Chryssie :rainbowlaugh:

7531689 I wish I had someone so dedicated to rping ponies with me. :fluttercry:

And LOL, I know right? I love when I make Jackie a spaz. XD

7531693 I think the only reason we keep each other on it as much as we can is that we can bug each other in person if one goes too long without replying.
I think the three we're focusing on right now are 'Stuck Between Night and Day', basically my main OC is stuck in Twilight's body and has to find a way back without drawing suspicion, hard for debatably sociopathic, insomniac unicorn, to pull off; Overblown Nightmare, an alternate take on IDW's Nightmare Rarity; and Homecoming, a collection of one-shots focused on returns, starting with Sunset and Celestia. Outside of that, we're playing with SoarinXSpitfire, my GF's newest OTP.
Interesting things come about from all of them, be them new OCs, headcanons, or the like. I'd try posting one to the site, but between all the interconnected world we have and the fact that a lot of BS you can get away with in RPs usually doesn't fly on this tends be riddled within...eh.
But it's a lot of fun!
...I kinda wanna offer if you wanna give it a shot, but I'm worried if it'll come off as weird...is it weird? I dunno. :applejackunsure:

7531708 Eh, I'd be more worried that I'd come off as weird if I ask if there could be an Applejack in the rp (don't you judge my love for my apple waifu!). :rainbowlaugh:

7531711 As long as you don't judge that my AU has her shipped with a changeling :ajsmug:
Ah, good ol' Sim! (Its actually Caramel)

7531714 I am... conflicted, but I shall respect the AU!

Also I never understood the shipping with Caramel. Was it cause he's like... one of the only few male in Ponyville? XD

7531720 My GF came across a Fanfic where he was a changeling in disguise, AJ got pissed because lies and the story focuses on him trying to win back her love and she was basically 'yus' over the fic and we rolled with it. I try not to ship characters too often but it kinda just happens. I have a whole fucking navy at this point.

Edit: This one

7531722 Ah, I gotcha'.

But yeah, rps are fun. XD

7531724 Agreed!
And for the record, if you wanna give it a shot at some point, the invitation is open :heart:

7531726 Eh, what the hell? I can give it a trial run. Plus...

I FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE TO RP PONIES! XD

7531729 WOOOOO!

.... what now? XD

7531732 ...I dunno. Never gotten this far :applejackunsure:

7531733 Hmmm, should we consult the manual?

7531734 Or perhaps run a tutorial program. That'd be nice for certain. Hell, I need a manual for interaction with other humans, I'm not very good at it most the time. :twilightsheepish:

7531737 Yeah, I fall prey to social ineptitude myself. XD

But either way,I have a skype, although I don't do calls, just text. I haven't tried the google doc thing before for rps

7531739 Recently fell out of Skype myself, found Discord to be more reliable, especially with dubious internet...that sounds so strange when MLP is in context. :rainbowlaugh:

But yeah, GDocs works really well, what with multi-person editing. Don't blame you for text only, I'd prefer to go the same way...besides, mic's packed away somewhere.

7531742 I did download Discord for like.. this one stream. But I have no mics so all text. XD

7531746 That's fine. text is good, text is better. :pinkiecrazy:

7531747 Excellent. Then I guess I should see if I remember how to get into Discord if that will so be where this shall take place.

7531749 I have it pinned to taskbar. I think a friend request needs either an email or a Tag number

Comment posted by Gpizano deleted Sep 2nd, 2016

7531755 Looks right, btw, I'd probably not leave that on a public comment section XD

Sent request, hope it worked.

7531756 Well comment deleted so easy peasy.

7531758 Well i sent it to the number supplied, so hopefully it went through

7531761 I... have no idea how to check that. XP

7531767 Hmm. Try looking under 'Pending'. If not, I sent you my number over PM, you can try sending a request too if needed.

so thye story has no ending thats stupid

8270938
*shrugs* It's how I chose to end it.

YOU FILTHY SON OF A COCKATRIECE!! XDXD That was so awesome and I NEED a resolution! Clever job sequel-baiting us for what might never come!

8617620
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD

Yeah this was one of my early stories, I hadn't thought about any sequel. XD

8618582
Like, the part I care about is the fallout of Sunny’s decision. I don’t care whether or not Chrysalis escapes, I just want to know how the group reacts after the fact. And that’s the brilliant part of this evil scheme.

8618596
Yeah I can see that.

It will just have to be left up to your imagination. XD

derpicdn.net/img/2018/9/3/1823536/medium.jpeg
My take on Sunset's demon form in the game WWE 2K18

Make a sequel.

8618582
Make a sequel. This story is good.

Comment posted by Car_go_room_room deleted Sep 10th, 2023
Login or register to comment