• Published 28th Jul 2016
  • 990 Views, 8 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 1) - Bsherrin



Wherein Benjamin Inventor finds himself in the MLP world and what he does his first three years there.

  • ...
7
 8
 990

The Magic Council

Work and Relaxation

Roquet any other ball in play, but no more than once each a turn - unless your rover ball passes through a wicket (any wicket). Your rover, however, cannot roquet the same ball twice in succession, even if it passes through a wicket.

It is generally the misfortune of musical ponies to be such enthusiasts that they seldom know when to leave off. The listeners get fidgety and tired, although they are usually too polite to say so. A song now and then is very desirable, as it is a relief to conversation, but half a dozen consecutively becomes most tiresome.

“Country Festival Games & Activities”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

The Harvest Festival was in full swing and laughing ponies kept coming up to us to rub our flanks or shake our hooves so the good luck of a chimney sweep would rub off. In time-honored tradition, I chased down a few shrieking fillies and smothered them with kisses which of course covered them in soot, their grinning stallion escorts helping to rub it in after I finished. I looked very deliberately for Rarity so I could do the same to her but she never showed herself; I finally decided she’d gotten wind of what I was doing and stayed out of sight.

Our last stop was the Widow Grass, an old Earth mare around Granny’s age with exquisite manners who used to teach deportment. We cleaned her flue which certainly needed it and she gave us two jars of her wonderful sour pickles in payment. I thanked her as we rolled up the long cloth we carried so we wouldn’t track soot in our customers houses. A smiling Widow Grass gently touched both our flanks for luck as we were leaving and that woke my healer sense. I was shocked when I checked her and had trouble holding my own smile as we waved good-bye.

We dropped the bags at City Hall, then used the spa’s outdoor shower to get off the worst of the soot. The spa ponies Lotus Blossom and Aloe both came out and enjoyed hosing us down, taking particular and I thought unnecessary pleasure in turning the hose on my nose, ears, bottom and underside. When they finished, they led us inside so we wouldn’t freeze, soaped us up again, rinsed us and then toweled us off. AJ and I both spoke their language and we had an enjoyable talk as they dried us. When I’d first come to Ponyville, the spa was about to go under. I’d invested 3,000 bits for improvements and remained a very silent partner; not even AJ knew. I kept reinvesting the dividends and was proud of what the diligent spa ponies had accomplished. During the final drying, I thought I saw Big Mac in one of the back rooms but it was just a glimpse so I wasn’t sure.

Clean and dry, we dropped off the wagon at Sweet Apple Acres, had a quick bite to eat and then trotted back to the workshop. I’d gotten a taste of the festival and didn’t need to go and AJ said she didn’t need to go, either. I was glad since I wanted to spend some time with just her, particularly after the last few days.

“AJ?” I said about 10 minutes from the shop. We had some of our best talks walking back and forth from the farm to the shop.

“Hmm?” AJ was watching the Sun set.

“The Widow Grass is dying.”

“What!?!” said AJ, astonished. “Why, she looked fine to me if a little thin.”

“No, she’s failing. She’s not eating enough. At this rate, she won’t last the Winter.”

AJ looked grim and became grimmer still when she pulled one of the jars of pickles out of her pouch. “And here she is, a’givin’ away food. Granny’s tried to give her food before, but she won’t take anything.”

“It’s not that she doesn’t have the food, AJ, she’s just not eating it. She doesn’t see the point any longer. She’s alone and has no purpose.”

AJ looked surprised, then nodded sadly.

“As you said, the Brickles don’t have much, but they do have each other. And even the Brickles…” and I stopped dead.

“Here we go again,” said AJ, smiling.

“Let me think on it a few minutes, AJ. Say, want a massage?”

“Sure!”

We’d just reached the kitchen door when a little pony wearing a messenger uniform raced up. His hide was covered with brown spots and he had a shock of brown mane.

“Telegram for Mr. Inventor,” he said, handing me an envelope.

I handed him a 2 bit coin. “Thank you…Pippin, isn’t it?”

“You can call me ‘Pip’, sir. And thank you!” Away he raced. For such a little pony, he was as fast as the Wind. No wonder the telegraph office used him for deliveries.

I opened the telegram as AJ lighted the gas lamps in the kitchen and study.

COUNCIL MEETS AT 3 STOP TAKE FIRST TRAIN WILL MEET YOU AT STATION 1:30 STOP

SA

I put the telegram in my pouch, then took the pouch off and set it by the door on a table I had just for that. To AJ’s questioning look, I said, “I have to make a quick trip to Canterlot. I’ll stay the night and be back on 4th.” If I survive, I thought to myself.

AJ just nodded. She’d already learned when not to ask questions which I certainly appreciated. AJ pulled an old blanket out of a cedar chest, lit the gas logs and settled in front of the fireplace. I rarely used the fireplace since the heated floors kept the whole place warm but sometimes like now I enjoyed a fire.

I got the massage oil, sweat scraper and some old towels, then undid AJ’s ribbons and started on her muscular back and rear legs. I used magic along with my hooves and the combination was very effective. I leaned over and nibbled her left ear every once and awhile, too, and soon AJ was making that purring hum of hers. It was similar to the sound a pegasus made but subtly different. I’d wondered if all Earth ponies did it and decided I’d have to find out.

“Flip,” I said when I finished her back.

AJ turned over and I worked on her front and rear leg muscles. She was in superb shape but had pulled both rear inner thigh muscles bucking so many apples, so I checked those, then massaged out a couple of knots. I indulged in some long, open-mouthed kisses as well and soon we were both covered in massage oil. Very sensual, that was.

I finished up and while AJ showered off, I put the towels and old blanket in the laundry hamper with all the dirty handkerchiefs. I made a note on my chalk board to drop off all of it at the laundry tomorrow and then showered myself.

I came back downstairs to the study. AJ had turned off the gas lamps and was facing the fire. I joined her and she settled against my right side which was fast becoming our favorite position. We rubbed noses, and then went back to staring at the fire. Earth ponies didn’t have active magic but I had a theory they were inherently magical, hence the glowing health after harvest and their ability to grow almost anything. Whatever it was, my magic reveled in it and I felt as close to AJ as it was possible for anypony to get to another. I could even Feel when she was happy, sad, annoyed and so on. She was certainly happy now, I tell you what.

“Fall will be a fine apprentice,” I said. “I’d planned to have her come a few days a week and take her home each day, but it would be far more efficient to have her live here most of the Winter. Naturally, Ma would let her but some other ponies might raise their eyebrows at a young filly living with a vibrant, handsome and extremely appealing bachelor unicorn whether he was Courting or no.”

AJ gave a small chuckle at my description of myself.

I went on. “Fall needs constant attention which, through no fault of her own, Ma couldn’t give her. Hard to raise a filly when you’re trying not to starve, after all. And since I’ve needed a housekeeper for quite some time…”

“You keep house better than I do,” said AJ sleepily.

“…for quite some time,” I repeated firmly, “I’m going to ask Emerald Grass to come and live here for the Winter. As you’ve seen, Fall could use some refinement and a calm gentlemare like Widow Grass is just the teacher Fall needs. Widow Grass will act as chaperone and companion to Fall, too. They can each have their own bedroom since I have the two spares. And Widow Grass will have a purpose again as well as the company. What do you think?”

My answer was a light snore.

As fascinating as I am, I thought, when the Sun goes down my farmer fiancée falls asleep. Eh, well. I hope she’ll stay awake a little longer on our wedding night.

I tied AJ’s ribbons back on her mane and tail, lifted her onto my back, put her pouch around my neck, put her hat on my head and headed back to Sweet Apple Acres.

I trotted through the crisp Fall night, my breath steaming. I was almost to Sweet Apple Acres when I heard laughter above me. I looked up to see a great horned owl circling overhead.

“And what, may I ask, is so funny, Silent Hunter of the Night?” Those honorifics were really something.

“Whoo-hooo,” he laughed. “Yooou look like you’re wearing a pony as a coat.”

I laughed myself and started to answer but he had had flown silently away. I’d never noticed just how many animals were around me every day until I could understand them.

I quietly opened the kitchen door and crept through the parlor. Granny who had been asleep in her rocker heard me, though.

“Whaazzat? Who’s there?”

“It’s just me, Granny. I’m going to put AJ to bed.”

“Oh, how precious!” Granny said, wide awake now and looking at the sleeping Applejack. “She always was a sound sleeper. Her Daddy used to carry her up to bed just like that.” Granny sighed, then laughed a little. “Oh, to be young and in love again. The times Seed Starter and I had!”

Hmm, Seed Starter must have been her husband. “Now, Granny, that’s no way to talk. I know two stallions of a certain age in the Stable of Commerce who’d love to spend time with you, particularly during Spring Planting.”

“Oh, pshaw, Youngster, how you do go on!” Granny said. The light was dim since Granny hadn’t lit a lantern yet but I thought she was blushing. “Now, go on, put her to bed.”

I grinned at Granny, put AJ to bed just like before and then came back downstairs. Granny had a couple of lanterns lit and they gave a warm glow to the parlor.

“Granny, I have to go to Canterlot tomorrow for the day but will return on 4th. I’ve already told Applejack.”

“Sure, Son, do what’s needed.” Granny paused for a moment, then got out of her rocker, came over to me and took my left hoof in her right. “I want to thank you, Maker, for bein’ so good to Applejack. She’s happier than I’ve ever seen her. And I know it’s a strain on a stallion, a’waitin’ for the wedding to be together. I was young once, too, you know, and some ponies nowadays don’t follow the Old Ways. It’s important, though, I can tell you that. Not sure why, exactly, but magic A is magic A, you know? Besides,” Granny said, smiling that gentle smile of hers, “I waited and it didn’t kill me.”

I felt a rush of love for the sweet old mare. I took Granny’s right hoof in both of mine and kissed it. She tasted like root cellar apples which was certainly far better than Lady Silver’s moldy taste.

“Granny, there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you and the family,” I said, “and AJ is most certainly worth the wait.”

“Thank you, Maker, thank you so much.”

“Well, Granny, I’m off.” I released Granny’s hoof, stepped forward, kissed either cheek and touched her nose with mine.

“Been around a pegasus, lately, have you?” she said, patting my muzzle.

“Yes, ahem, well… I’ll see everyone on 4th.” Maybe.

“We’ll see you then, Youngster,” Granny said, waving me out the door.

I waved back and headed to the workshop. As I trotted through the perfect, glorious, wonderful Fall evening, I sang at the top of my lungs:

Largo al factotum della città, largo!

La la la, la la la, la la la, laaaaa!

Presto a bottega, che l'alba è già, presto!

La la la, la la la, la la la, laaaaa!

Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere… che bel piacereeee

Per un barbiere…di qualità! di qualità!

Ah, bravo Figaro! Bravo, bravissimo, bravo!

La la la, la la la, la la la, laaaaa!

Fortunatissimo per verità, bravo!

La la la, la la la, la la la, laaaaa!

I passed a couple of foxes who were well enough hidden I couldn’t see them.

“Ponies certainly are loud, aren’t they?”

“Yes, but at least this one can carry a tune.”

I laughed out loud. Everypony’s a critic, I thought, and then headed home.

The Magic Council

Artificers & Ponies of low Degree ought not to use many ceremonies to Lords, or Others of high Degree but Respect and highly Honor them, and those of high Degree ought to treat them with affability & Courtesy, without Arrogance.

“Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation”, Appendix A, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

I woke up at Sunrise on the 3rd, ran through a couple of katas, played through scales on the piano, had a bite to eat and put an “Out of Town, Back 4th” sign on the front door. I packed my saddlebags, made sure I had some cash, then gathered up my dirty laundry and headed into town. On the way, I talked to my Lady Magic.

My Lady?

Guardian?

I have to go before the Council, my Lady.

I know, Guardian. But if they try and kill you, I will intervene.

My Lady, You mustn’t. If You interfere, You’ll break the Arch of Time (I wasn’t sure how I knew that, but I was certain of it). Besides, if You destroy the Council, the alicorns will come for me and I could not win. They would destroy the World to stop a rogue mage. Either way, this World would end.

Lady Magic went quiet but didn’t leave me, not quite yet.

I won’t tell them about You, my Lady, but if the Baroness does a Reading, she’ll see You in my memories.

Lady Magic gave a sort of sigh. Very well, but only she must know, Guardian.

Yes, my Lady. I believe I’ll survive, but if the Council decides otherwise, You must accept it.

Very well, She said, and She was gone.

I stopped by the laundry and tossed my bag to the waiting mare who waved as she tossed it further into the steam. I waved back, then headed for the station. The first train out was at 7 which gave me about 20 minutes.

I got to the platform with 15 minutes to spare and went to look at the waiting engine. It was another 4-4-0 but this one was from the Fillydelphia Iron Works. It wasn’t quite as good a quality as the Hoofington engine I ridden to the Gala and I guessed it would need new fire tubes in a couple of months.

“Hey! You! Unicorn! What’re you doin’?”

I turned to see a stocky Earth pony in blue striped coveralls wearing an engineer’s hat. Unlike most engineers, his coveralls fit perfectly and were even starched. He was carrying a good size open-ended wrench.

“Are you the engineer? I was just noticing the differences between this and…”

“Well, notice somewhere else! This is my engine and I want you to stay away from it!”

A very young Earth pony stuck his head out of the cab. “Uh, Mr. O’Malley…?”

“Shaddap!” the engineer snapped at the firepony. He turned back to me. “And you, unicorn, mind your own business!”

Hmm. I nodded and said, “I meant no offense. Please excuse me.” I took a step back, then started to walk around the fuming engineer.

As I passed on his left, he muttered, “Stupid unicorns, always nosin’ around.” I just kept walking but smelled a strong scent of ale. Had a few, I thought. I felt a rather sharp poke in my side.

“Hey! Tell me you’re sorry for botherin’ me,” said the angry engineer.

I turned around to face him. “My apologies, Mr…O’Malley, is it?”

“Who said you could use my name!! Did I say you could use my name?!? You unicorns think ‘cause you’re magic you can just do anything to anypony. Well, not today, pal!!”

O’Malley stepped toward me, raising the wrench over his head. I taught my students if you’re unarmed and faced with an armed opponent, even if all they have is a stick, you have three choices:

1) Leave
2) Leave and
3) Get out of the way and leave

I started to do just that when my Lady Magic said, Stay! Oh, swell, I thought, but I stayed.

O’Malley brought the wrench down and I stepped a half step to the side. I felt the wrench clip my ear which stung like the Lord of Hel. O’Malley, off balance to start with, stumbled and fell flat. The wrench clanged on the concrete and skittered away.

I waited as O’Malley slowly got to his hooves. He turned around and was in a blind fury. Another couple of rules I’d taught my students were “Never fight angry since you’ll lose” and “Never fight intoxicated since you’ll lose.”

“I’ll kill you,” roared O’Malley and charged with both hooves raised.

The engineer was left hooved, so as he swung I shifted my body back and to the left, deflected his punch with the back of my left hoof, grabbed his left leg with my left and right hoof and, using his own momentum, twisted from the waist and tossed him away from me (Grasping the Sparrow's Tail, I thought). He sailed through the air, his face a study in surprise, and slammed into one of the platform’s wooden columns. He slowly slid down it and then was still.

I let out a breath and heard running hooves behind me. I turned to find the station master and a burly Earth pony conductor who would have given Big Mac a run for his money racing around the side of the station. Both were carrying stout clubs and looked like they meant business.

“Here, now, what’s all this, then?” said the station master, looking at his unconscious engineer. The conductor, meanwhile, kept a close eye on me.

“Uh…Uncle Seamus?” It was the firepony who was trembling. “Mr. O’Malley, he just…he tried to kill this unicorn,” he said, pointing a shaking hoof at me. The station master, whose name I remembered was Seamus Martin, just huffed out a breath and lowered his club. The conductor did the same.

“You all right, Mr. Inventor?” the station master asked, rather sadly.

“I’m fine, Station Master. Unfortunately I had no choice.”

“I know, I know. Tomas, here,” and he pointed his club at the engineer, “well, his daughter ran off with a couple of unicorn traveling salesponies on 1st and hasn’t been heard from since. He’s all tore up about it an’ likely tried to take it out on you.”

Unicorn traveling salesponies? Odd there were two. And here I was working day and night to make ponies less fearful of magic users. Most annoying, I thought.

Seamus gestured with his club again and the conductor picked up O’Malley like he weighed nothing at all, put him on his back, picked up the wrench and headed back to the station house.

“You...wanna file a complaint, Mr. Inventor?” asked the station master rather tentatively. He also looked around nervously to make sure none of the passengers saw the dust-up. We were far enough ahead of the passenger cars I doubted they’d even noticed.

“About what, Station Master?”

That earned me a quick grin and Seamus visibly relaxed. Then he gritted his teeth. “Shoot! This means I’ll hafta get another engineer from Canterlot to run the 7 o’clock. That’ll put us almost seven hours behind schedule.”

“I can run her up, Mr. Martin, if you like.”

“Say, that’s right! You’re kinda mechanical-like, aren’t you, Mr. Inventor?”

“Kinda,” I answered.

“Uh…I really should tell Head Office…shouldn’t I?”

“Now, now, no need to bother them about this,” I said, waving a hoof. “Is Roundhouse on duty? I got to know him going back and forth to the Gala and he’s very good. He lives in Canterlot, I think.”

“You just wait one minute and I’ll check!”, said the station master. He raced off to the office to check the work schedule and was back a couple of minutes later. “It’s Roundhouse’s day off but I’ll send him a telegram to meet you at the station to take her on t’ Baltimare.”

“That’s settled, then. Time?”

The station master checked his watch. “6:56. Leave in four.”

“On it, Station Master,” I said and headed for the hog.

“Oh, and Mr. Inventor,” Seamus said. I turned back. “Thank you, sir. You’ve saved a good railroader’s livelihood. And maybe mine, too.”

I waved my hoof again and jumped into the cab. The poor firepony was still shaking.

“M..m..mm…mr. O’Malley, he..e’s not like that, sir, he’s really not…”

I put my hoof on his shoulder and used a touch of calming magic. “It’s fine, son, it’s over now. He was upset and I was closest. Happens in families, too, yes?”

The young Earth pony stopped shaking and gave me a tentative smile.

“Now, then, let’s see what we have here,” I said, as I looked over the controls. Yes, standard layout: steam chest pressure gauge, manifold isolation valve, boiler pressure gauge, Johnson bar, brakes, throttle. I could drive this. “And who may I ask is my firepony?” I asked as I looked over the engine.

“Timothy Martin, sir.”

“Very good, Timothy. I’m Benjamin Inventor,” I said as I stuck my head out of the cab and saw the huge conductor wave as the station clock struck 7. “’Board!” he called, then hopped on the last car.

“Here we go!” I said.

I pushed the Johnson bar forward, opened the cylinder cocks, turned on the headlight, gave two toots on the whistle, released the brake and then slowly inched the throttle forward. My firepony knew his business and kept stoking the boiler until the steam pressure leveled off. The engine gave a slight lurch as it picked up the load and then huffed out of the station. I kept adjusting the throttle, leaning out to watch the track. I was pretty sure I knew where the crossings were, but I didn’t want to miss any this close to town. There were no water stops, so at least I didn’t have to worry about that.

After several miles, I moved the Johnson bar to the company notch and relaxed a little; she’d run to Canterlot on her own, now. I adjusted the throttle to 30 mph which Roundhouse had told me was the safest track speed between Ponyville and Canterlot. Different from running freight since you were responsible for passengers and their welfare. I sat back in the engineer’s chair with a sigh of relief.

“Mr. Inventor?”

“Timothy?”

“You coulda killed Mr. O’Malley, couldn’t you?”

Still on that, were we? “Yes, Timothy, I could have.”

“And you didn’t even use magic. You coulda used magic, couldn’t you?”

“Yes, according to the First Law, I could have. And injured or killed Mr. O’Malley that way as well since he attacked with a weapon and I was unarmed.”

“Gosh.” Timothy pondered a moment. “Why didn’t you, then? Kill him, I mean?”

One pony at a time, I thought. “Timothy, mages or trained martial artists protect and serve the non-magical and those ponies who are weaker than they.” I went on to give the standard lecture I gave my students in the Guard about judicious use of force and their responsibility; the more skilled they became, the more responsibility they had to protect others. Wolves, sheep and sheepdogs. My students were the sheepdogs. Part of the price and if they wouldn’t pay it, then they had no place in my class. I never had a student refuse, though, which gave me great pride. They lived it outside of class, too.

Timothy asked a few more questions, then wanted to talk about mares which was a less weighty and far more lively topic. He was a good listener and after the usual “what type do you like” questions, I found myself going on and on about the Courtship, the various Rules and following the Old Ways. Before I knew it, Canterlot came into sight. I brought the train into the station at 1:26, easing back on the throttle and then slowly setting the brake as the passenger cars aligned with the depot markings. She glided to a stop as I blew steam out the front cylinders. Very smooth, I thought, and let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding.

After the train stopped, I turned to my firepony.

“Timothy, it’s been a pleasure,” I said, shaking the young stallion’s hoof.

“Thanks, Mr. Inventor, for talking to me. Most of the other railroaders treat me like a foal.”

“Not after this run, they won’t!” I said, laughing.

I waved goodbye and hopped down from the cab. There stood Roundhouse, grinning like a possum.

“Not bad, not bad, Mr. Wizard,” he said as he shook my hoof. “Not bad for a newbie hogger. We’ll hafta promote you from piglet now.”

I laughed along with him. “I’ll let you take it from here, Roundhouse, shall I? You’ve got a first rate firepony, too,” I said as Timothy waved from the cab. “By the way, do you know a place nearby where I can stay? I want to catch an early train in the morning.”

“Shooooot, you can stay at my place, Mr. Inventor. Th’ key is under the mat and food is in the icebox.” Roundhouse gave me directions. “If you throw a party with a bunch of mares, just clean up after yourself, alright?” he said, roaring with laughter and pounding me on the back.

Heh, Earth ponies, I thought. “Thank you, Roundhouse, I accept your offer. And no, no parties, just sleep and I’m on my way.”

I’d noticed Shining Armor further down the platform watching the passengers getting off. “I see my friend, so I’d best go meet him. She’s all yours,” I said, pointing to the hog.

Roundhouse became serious and gripped my left shoulder with his right hoof. “Us railroaders can’t thank you enough, Mr. Wizard. You saved Tomas’ job and maybe the station manager’s, too. HO don’t take too well to engineers beatin’ on paying passengers.”

“But, Roundhouse, you said it yourself. I’m a hogger now, not a passenger.”

“Hah, so you are, so you are!” he said, grinning. “Well, I’m almost watered up and we’re gone at 1:45. Thanks again, Mr. Wizard.”

“Keep it in the eighth notch, Roundhouse.”

He waved and headed for the cab while I walked toward Shining Armor. He hadn’t seen me yet and I got to look him over before he saw me. My friend looked very good, fit and healthy. Being engaged had been as good for him as it was for me and I planned to tell him so.

I stopped a few feet from Shining Armor, braced and saluted just as he saw me.

“General,” I said. Shining Armor got his first Sun a couple of weeks ago.

Shining Armor turned to me and returned the salute. “Lieutenant.”

I lowered my salute, stepped forward and shook hooves. Our magical fields intertwined and melded, glad to see one another again. It had been months and I’d missed Carl more than I thought.

“How are you, Ben?” said Shining Armor, releasing my hoof.

“Pretty good. Looks like getting engaged to the Princess of Love agrees with you.”

“Yeah, she’s alright,” Shining Armor said as we turned and walked toward the city. “You’ve gotten yourself engaged, too, I hear.”

“Yeah, she’s alright,” I said and we both had a good, long laugh.

“Hey, could we stop by the Department of Commerce before we have a visit?” I asked.

“The what?”

“The Department of Commerce.”

“I guess. What do you want to do there?”

“I’m going to submit a petition for a charter to open a bank in Ponyville.”

“Well, aren’t you the wheeler-dealer? Sure, it’s this way.”

Fortunately dropping off the petition only took a few minutes. Shining Armor and I trotted on, catching up, talking about the Guard and of course the various merits of our mares. I proudly told him my new Private Name and he was delighted with it. We ended up in this out-of-the-way park I knew about where the Guard used to take mares on a second or third date. There was nopony there this time of day which was what I wanted.

Shining Armor stopped and sat on a bench. “So, what’s this all about?” he asked.

“Watch,” I said, and called up my magic ball.

Shining Armor was off the bench faster than I could see and the dirk he always carried appeared in his right hoof. “By the Lord of Hel’s minions!” he yelled. He was shaking, too, and he wasn’t an easy pony to rattle.

I doused my magic, then sat down on the bench. Shining Armor took several deep breaths, then looked down at the dirk in his hoof.

“Sorry,” he said, putting it back in the sheath. He sat down next to me and took a few minutes to settle. “’Maker Ben’, indeed,” he finally said. “Ben, you’re more powerful than Cadence and almost as powerful as Herself. How in the name of the Magic did you end up like this?”

“I’m sorry, Carl, I’m really sorry. I can’t tell you, at least, not yet. As soon as I can, I will, I promise. I’m still me, though.”

Shining Armor blew out a breath. “I know, but that won’t satisfy Lady Dragon.” “Lady Dragon” was the Baroness Astrid Gräfin von Horsenberg, E.O.M., lieutenant general of the Royal Guard and second in command of the entire country. She was the one who ran the place when Tia and I highed off to Stableside. She came up with some very innovative punishments for a couple of misbehaving Guards as well, hence the unflattering nickname. Respected, feared, even trusted but not much liked. I’d never met her, only heard the stories.

“Mmm.”

“Maker, I’ll stick by you no matter what, you know that, right?”

I reached out and gripped his right hoof with mine. “I know,” I said, letting go and facing forward again.

“But, Maker…I…well, if the Council…” Carl looked miserable while he was talking and finally just stopped. I knew what he meant, though. If the Council decided to slit my throat, he’d have to help.

“Carl, you’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had. I also know you’re a decent and honorable stallion. That’s the main reason Herself trusts you with Cadence.”

Shining Armor reached out a hoof and put it against my right shoulder. I could feel his anger and divided loyalties, his love for me and his love for the Guard, all mixed together. And ponies wonder why unicorns bow all the time without touching, I thought.

“I won’t do it, I won’t! I won’t kill you, I won’t, I don’t care if it is the Council!”

Without looking at him, I put my left hoof over his right. “Yes, you will,” I said. “And if they demand it, I’ll let you. Better you than some stranger.”

“Maker, I swear,” he said, blowing out a breath and taking his hoof down. Carl gave me that famous half grin of his. “Why it is you always put my tail in a knot?”

I laughed, relieved to have my friend with me. “Me? Who rescued whom when Cadence almost caught him with that little waitress filly?”

“Hahahahah! She never did find out about that. Whew, if she did…” Carl stopped and looked thoughtful, then perked his ears at a nearby clock tower. “It’s 2:30. Are you ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” I said and we headed for the Magic Council Chambers.

The Council had its own imposing building which had stood for centuries. One of Equestria’s oldest institutions, unicorns founded the Magic Council after the first treaty negotiations. The Council’s job was to punish magic users who violated the Four Mage Laws. In a more benign role, the Council also tested young unicorns for magic and occasionally gave out awards to good students. Twilight had something or other but I couldn’t remember what; almost no one other than relatives attended the awards ceremonies.

Violate the First Law and you’d end up magicless for three months. Do it again and it was six months. There was no third time. And that was for mares; stallions got zero chances. It had been twenty years since the Council had executed a unicorn but it wouldn’t hesitate if it thought a magic user could go rogue. Most stallions weren’t powerful enough for the Council to notice.

Until now.

We walked up the guarded front and stopped at a gated reception desk. I handed over my saddlebags and pouch since the Council forbad petitioners from wearing anything at all. Carl got to keep his dirk which was a high honor.

We walked up the marble steps together, hooves echoing against the vaulted ceiling. The architecture was severe on purpose to intimidate those who had the see the council. I admired the workmanship and wondered if the mare who had fixed the pillars after the Gala had worked on any supports here. We stopped in front of the Council chamber which was behind these enormous bronze doors. We waited a few minutes until the Council clock chimed a doleful 3 and the doors opened slowly by themselves. Beautiful balance, I thought, since I estimated the doors weighed two tons each. I’d like to talk to the pony who set those hinges.

We walked into a circular room with a dozen floor-to-ceiling windows, bare except for a raised dais against the far wall. Three mare unicorns were seated there, Lady Dragon in the slightly raised center seat. The other two mares I didn’t know but they looked like they were used to giving commands.

Shining Armor and I gave a full bow in perfect unison.

“Rise,” said Lady Astrid.

We stood.

“Who would seek the wisdom of the Council?” said the mare on the right.

I stepped forward. “Lieutenant Second Class Benjamin Maker Inventor of the Royal Guard and Servant of the Crown.” I still got a thrill out of using my new Private Name, even in this place.

“Who stands as witness to this unicorn?” said the mare on the left.

“I do,” said Shining Armor.

“The Council acknowledges Benjamin Inventor and his witness, Shining Armor, Brigadier General of the Royal Guard. What say ye?” said the mare on the right again.

Built by unicorns, staffed by unicorns and with magic worked within its walls each day, the Council building was steeped in magic. Ordinary unicorns could cast spells in the Chamber which were beyond them most other places. I looked back at Carl and he nodded. I took a deep breath and called up my magic ball, only this time I didn’t hold back anything.

CRAAACKHUMMMMMM!! My magic filled the Council chamber, resonating off the walls and setting up a faint, keening vibration in the windows. I felt my eyes go white, too, and my mane flowed out on either side of me. I had no doubt I looked like I came straight from the Lord of Hel himself.

The mare on the right knocked over her chair, splayed herself against the wall and started to scream. The other mare ducked down underneath the council bench and all I could see of her was her horn sticking up. Lady Dragon was made of sterner stuff but even she pushed herself back from the council bench and kept both her front legs straight out in front of her. Well, that’s done it, I thought.

Lady Astrid yelled something but the hum made it too loud to hear. I decided to err on the side of caution and cut off my magic as if I’d thrown a switch. That showed good control, at least. I saw Carl shivering out of the corner of my eye but he’d stood by me just like he said.

The silence was deafening, an expression I’d always heard but never understood until just that moment. I did some T’ai Chi breathing and waited. The mare on the right was still giving gasping little screams, but soon caught her breath, picked up her chair and sat down. The one on the left peered over the edge of the council bench, then slowly emerged and sat down as well. Lady Dragon very deliberately dragged her wheeled chair forward until she could prop her chin on her hooves.

“So, Lieutenant,” she said, her clear, icy blue eyes boring a hole in me, “how did this happen?”

I stood and said nothing.

“Lieutenant, that was not a rhetorical question. How did you gain this much power? You will explain yourself to this Council at once.”

“My Lady, I cannot,” I said.

“’Can not’ or ‘will not’?” asked Lady Astrid.

I nodded at the correction. “Will not, my Lady.”

I thought Lady Astrid was fierce before but it was nothing compared to her expression now. “Oh, you will, Lieutenant, and at once or you won’t see outside of this chamber ever again.” Lady Astrid lit her horn, and her eyes glowed a beautiful sky blue. The other two mages lit theirs and a low hum filled the chamber. I looked around at Carl. He’d lit his horn, too, and I saw the familiar color I knew so well. He also had his dirk out and the point was against my side; one wrong move from me and he’d gut me like a griffon guts a steer. His ears were flat to his skull, tears were running down his muzzle and pooling on the marble floor but his dirk was as solid as a rock as his anguished eyes looked into mine.

Lady Astrid’s magic was as perfect and precise as a sword blade. Exquisite, I thought. I’m stronger, yes, but her years of practice would overcome me eventually. Amazing. Well, nothing for it.

“My Lady,” I said, raising my voice so everypony could hear it over the hum, “I humbly petition the Council’s forbearance and ask for a Private Reading.”

Lady Astrid snapped off her magic and stared at me again. The other unicorns followed and it was quiet enough I heard Carl slide his dirk back into its sheath. She could see I meant it, too; I’d take her down and the entire building with me if I must but I hoped it wouldn’t come to that.

“Very well. Council and witness will please clear the chamber,” said Lady Dragon and stood.

“My Lady, no!” “It’s too dangerous, My Lady! He could kill you.” Both of the other unicorns spoke at once.

“Council and witness will please clear the chamber. I will not ask again,” said Lady Astrid, looking from side to side.

The two mares reluctantly left the dais and walked out the bronze doors which again opened silently by themselves. Carl put a hoof on my shoulder as he turned (a slight breach of protocol) and then left as well. The bronze doors shut with a faint boom and it was just me and Lady Astrid. She came around from behind the dais and I got my first good look at her. She was as exquisite as her magic, slightly taller than most unicorns and in outstanding physical shape. She was a 20 years or so younger than Granny and her mane had silvered slightly but you could still see the red amongst the grey. Her coat was the lightest possible tan and her cutie mark was one of those abstract ones I’d never seen before. Most decidedly one of a kind all the way around, I thought. Just gorgeous.

Lady Astrid touched the seal in the room’s center and a magical field snapped into place. Until she and only she released it, nothing could get in or out.

“Thank you, my Lady,” I said, giving a full bow as she stopped in front of me. “I would also ask for your personal seal as well.”

“Do not push me any further this day, young stallion,” Lady Dragon snapped. “I’ve half a mind to censure you right now.”

“Forgive my impertinence, my Lady, but some of the secrets I know are not mine to tell; they are under the Royal Seal.”

Lady Astrid didn’t look happy, but finally said, “Oh, very well. You have my personal seal.” That meant Lady Astrid could only give her opinion to the Council but couldn’t tell them anything else about our Reading.

“Thank you, my Lady,” and rose from my bow.

“You are ready?” she asked me, those eyes boring into my skull again.

“My Lady, I am.”

With no further ceremony, Lady Astrid reached out her right hoof and, more gently than I expected, put it against the left side of my head.

“My magic to your magic, my thoughts to your thoughts, my mind to your mind,” she said, using a Most Secret and the most dangerous of spells. If I were malicious, I could have killed her at any time unless she was very careful indeed. The spell worked both ways, too, so she not only saw my inner self but I got to see hers. Even the most intimate of unicorn lovers would never cast this spell; it was simply too invasive and could break your mind if you used it improperly.