• Published 28th Jul 2016
  • 990 Views, 8 Comments

The Life and Times of Benjamin Inventor (Part 1) - Bsherrin



Wherein Benjamin Inventor finds himself in the MLP world and what he does his first three years there.

  • ...
7
 8
 990

Harvest Festival

I Prove My Worth A Final Time

When served, do not wait until all the others are helped, but as soon as your plate is placed before you, take up your knife and fork, help yourself to salt, first arranging your napkin to shield your attire, but not wearing it like a bib about your neck. And, of course, you will never commit the solecism of putting your knife into your mouth.

This last is a rule which should never be deviated from, and the almost universal custom of using four-tined forks, makes it quite as easy to eat with a fork as a knife. We have heard this custom denounced as "absurd and ridiculous" -- as "similar to eating soup with a knitting-needle," or "sipping tea with a hair-pin" -- but still must mention that the taste of a steel knife is very obnoxious, no matter how high its polish, and even a silver knife is better for dividing the food into portions, than for carrying it to the mouth.

“Table Manners in Polite Society”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

I woke up on 2nd as the Fall Sun rose. I was tingling with new magic as I ran through my usual stretches and T’ai Chi katas, then headed downstairs for breakfast. I’d just finished eating when I heard a light tapping at the kitchen door. Most of my clients came to the front of the workshop, but a few who knew me well came to the kitchen for a quick visit and a bite before getting down to business. Technically it was an hour before I opened the shop, but business was business and I didn’t mind.

I opened the door and said, “Good morn…” That was as far as I got.

A grey streak slammed into me and together we somersaulted twice before I found myself on my back on my kitchen floor. I looked up into the clear and very normal yellow eyes of Derpy as she sat on my chest.

“Looklooklooklooklooklook!!” she yelled happily. Even when she yelled, her voice was pleasant.

“Derpy!” I answered, tilting my head up and gazing at her. “What in Equestria are you doing!?!” I knew perfectly well but wanted to see what she’d say.

“My eyes! Look at my eyes!” Derpy rolled her eyes up, down and then back and forth. “I can see, I can see, I can seeeeee! Ahhhhhhh!” Derpy tilted her muzzle up to the ceiling and yelled with joy, then looked down at me again, eyes wide.

“By the Magic of Equestria! Your eyes, Derpy! They’re…they’re normal!” She doesn’t know it was me, I thought. That’s fine.

“I know, I know, right?” Derpy said, finally jumping off of me and taking a quick flight around the room. “It’s a miracle! I can’t wait to show everypony.” Derpy’s normally sweet expression became fierce. “And some ponies more than others.”

“Well now, how about that?” I said as I got to my hooves, dusting hoofprints off of my chest.

“Ben,” Derpy said, turning to me.

“Go ahead.”

“Ben…” Derpy said again, this time looking down and scuffing her right hoof on the floor.

“Go ahead, Derpy.”

“I can’t thank you enough for yesterday. It was one of the best days of my entire life.” Derpy raised her right hoof and laid it gently on my chest. “Could we…do it again sometime? I mean, I know you’re with Applejack and all, but…”

“Of course we can, Derpy; it would be my pleasure to preen you whenever you like.” I took Derpy’s right hoof in both of my front hooves. “One among many of Applejack’s excellent qualities is she isn’t the jealous type. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind but we can keep it to ourselves for now if you’d like. And I daresay you’ll soon have any number of other invitations to preen from pegasus ponies. You’re very fit and pretty, you know.”

Derpy blushed slightly, a delightful light pink shade which complimented her grey. And she did look wonderful with her hide shining and wings freshly preened. I released her hoof.

“Thank you, Ben. Oh, thank you! After 5th I’m going to take a few days off and head to Cloudsdale to see my mother. I’ll see you when I get back?”

“I look forward to it, Derpy. Enjoy your visit and please give your mother my best.”

Derpy waved, and then headed for the door. She got halfway out, then turned around and ran back to me. She stood on her rear hooves, put both front hooves on my chest, kissed me on both cheeks and touched my nose with hers. She gave me a quick kiss on the lips, too, which I returned; I wouldn’t want to be rude, after all.

She stretched a little higher, held her muzzle next to my ear and whispered, “If you weren’t with Applejack...”

“…then you would grace my skies, Ditzy Doo,” I murmured back.

Derpy hopped down and gave me that beautiful smile of hers, waved, raced out the door and zoomed away.

Thank you, Ben, said Lady Magic.

You’re welcome, my Lady. As always, I am at Your service.

My gallant Guardian! She’s special to me, that one. I’ll take over from here.

Lady Magic’s tone changed to one of mischief. I didn’t see you protest kissing her, Guardian.

Haven’t You heard, my Lady? I’m irresistible. Wouldn’t want to disappoint a mare, either.

My answer was my Lady’s laughter.

I put the “Closed” sign on the shop’s door and headed for Sweet Apple Acres. My hooves crunched through frost as I breathed in the cold air. I passed a Northern cardinal on a fence post.

“Beautiful day,” said the redbird.

I stopped with one hoof in the air, my expression no doubt completely slack.

“I said, ‘Beautiful day’,” said the cardinal, sounding slightly put out.

“Ahem…it is, at that. You are ready for Winter, Handsome Songbird?” I wasn’t sure where that honorific came from, but it seemed natural so I used it.

“Almost,” said the redbird, then waved a wing and flew off.

Apparently my growing more powerful wasn’t the only change from yesterday, I thought as I kept trotting. I suppose this is what it’s like for Fluttershy. I’ll have to have a talk with her soon. Very soon. Soonest.

I got to Sweet Apple Acres as the Sun was half up. I walked into the kitchen to find Applejack surrounded by platter after platter of food. She’d just set aside a stack of hotcakes and wasn’t wearing her usual ribbons. Her mane and tail flowed loose, rippling as she moved.

Applejack looked around as I came in and her expression changed to one of pure joy. She raced over, picked me up and twirled me around the kitchen a few times, somehow managing not to knock over a single plate.

“Hiya, Partner, hiya, hiya, hiya! Oh, I’m so glad to see you today!”

Applejack put me down and it took me a moment to catch my breath. Earth ponies were strong, stronger than most other ponies realized.

“Ah…ah…whooo…*gasp*…and a good morning to you, too, fiancée. I see the rest has done you some good.”

I wasn’t exaggerating, either. Applejack’s green eyes, always clear, positively glowed. Her hide gleamed like polished wood and her blonde mane crackled with energy.

“Yep, feeling good. Always do after harvest and during Spring Plantin’.”

Yes, I’d read about Earth ponies during Spring Planting in the Equestrian Encyclopedia. They became quite…raucous, apparently, which was why there were a number of foals born during Twelfth. I had to admit, I was looking forward to it.

I started to answer when Apple Bloom came racing into the kitchen and slammed into me. We somersaulted twice and once again I ended up starting at the ceiling with a pony on my chest. That was me, the Tumbling Pony, one night only. Thanks, ponies, you’ve been a great crowd.

“Apple Bloom!!” said Applejack, appalled and completely ignoring squeezing me half to death a minute or so earlier.

“Yee-hah!” yelled Apple Bloom. She was sans ribbon as well and her naturally curly brown mane bounced up and down. She leaned over and kissed my nose. “Morning, future brother-in-law!”

“Morning, Pest,” I said, not even bothering to raise my head off of the floor. I’d nicknamed her “Pest #1” when she and her two friends got into the workshop one day and almost caused a boiler to explode. I’d kicked them out most soundly but didn’t tell anypony else, so the nickname was just between us.

Applejack walked over and lifted Apple Bloom off of me. “Quit jumpin’ on Ben, Sugarcube. You interrupted our talking.”

I stood up and once again brushed off hoofprints. Big Mac walked into the kitchen without his usual horse collar and I had to stop and stare. There was an Ancient Equestrian statue in the Canterlot Museum of a stallion with a plaque which said, “Idealized Stallion #2.” Here before me was a living example of that with rippling muscles and perfect proportions. No wonder all the mares vied for his attention. He was completely unconscious of it as usual.

“Morning, Sisters, Ben,” he said and started to serve himself breakfast.

“Brother,” said Applejack as she handed me a plate. I greeted him at the same time.

“Brother!,” said Apple Bloom, jumping up and swinging on his left front leg. Big Mac pretended not to notice and just kept serving himself.

Granny came in last, her beautiful white mane flowing half way down her back. I had no idea her mane was so long since I’d only seen it in a bun before this. She looked 10 years younger, too, and sharp as a whip.

“Morning, Family,” she said and sat at the table. “Thank you, Hon,” she said as Apple Bloom served her a plate full of apples, pears, cucumbers and blueberry pancakes. We all sat at the large kitchen table and for a good many minutes there was only the sound of chewing. The Earth ponies ate even more than usual since they’d skipped a few meals during harvest and had slept for a full day.

Soon enough there were only leftovers and not many of those. Apple Bloom and I cleaned up the kitchen, then the Apples went upstairs to finish dressing. When they came back down a few minutes later, ribbons, bun and horse collar in place, they still looked more vibrant and alive than I’d ever seen them.

We settled in the parlor, Granny in her usual chair and Applejack next to me. Granny pulled out a sheaf of papers, took the last one and said, “This here was our best harvest yet, Family. After expenses we cleared 4,123 bits.” That sounded a little low to me, but I didn’t keep the books so I kept quiet. “I’ve deposited your salaries in your bank accounts and that should last you for a good while. Ben, what should I do with your salary? Ya want it in a separate account?”

My salary was 300 bits which was quite generous. I’d thought about what to do with it already. “I’d like to reinvest my salary in the farm, Granny, hopefully to upgrade the cider making equipment. What you do with it I’ll leave up to you, though.”

Applejack looked startled, then looked at me like I was dropped from above. The others just stared. “Why…why, Youngster! I don’t know what to say,” said Granny. “We was going to wait ‘til next year to upgrade the cider mill, but if you give the farm your salary, we can do it this Winter before we start a’pressin’.”

“That’s fine, Granny. If I had no other source of income I’d keep it but since I have my own business, I’d rather improve the farm.”

Granny looked very satisfied. “Thank you, Youngster, thank you. Mighty generous, that.” Granny made a note on the paper, then set the sheaf aside. “We’ll go over the plan for planting the Winter crops tomorrow. Now then, on to new business. Benjamin, you have somethin’ to bring to the family?”

I stepped forward slightly. “Thank you, Granny. As you know, the Brickles have an automatic hay baler and their baled hay provides the bulk of their income. The baler itself is in poor shape, though, and won’t last another season.” Granny and the others looked shocked at that.

“Is it that bad?” asked AJ.

“Mmm, it is, indeed, AJ. However, I have a solution. I made pact with Ma Brickle after I fixed the baler during harvest. In exchange for paying off her mortgage, she’ll sell me the baler. I’ll replicate it (with some improvements) and make two balers, one of which we’ll keep here at Sweet Apple Acres; Brickleback Farm will get the other. That will let us bale the hay we stack now and sell it to the Hoofington market while Brickleback will sell to the Manehatten market as usual. If we share the steam tractor, I estimate we’ll have more than enough time to harvest the Brickle’s hay and our hay as well.”

“I also offered the Brickles a new hay barn to store the bulk of their hay so they could sell it for far more during the Winter months instead of selling it all at once at harvest. I haven’t worked out the figures yet but that should double their farm’s revenue at least. We’d need two new hay barns as well which I’ll pay for myself. Finally, the baler and the two hay barns will be my Courting Gift to Applejack so the cost won’t come out of the farm accounts.”

I took a breath and finished. “I paid off the Brickleback Farm mortgage yesterday and the Post Office will deliver the farm’s title to Ma today. I’ll take the steam truck and pick up the baler this morning. I’ll make the two balers this Winter after I get some more steel bar stock, then deliver them before Spring Planting. We can build the barns next Summer after the Spring lumber harvest when prices are low.”

I’d been concentrating on what I was saying, so I hadn’t paid much attention to my audience’s reaction. I looked up to see Granny, Big Mac and Apple Bloom with their mouths open in astonishment. I looked over at AJ and she looked poleaxed as well.

Finally Bic Mac swallowed and said, “That’s…that’s brilliant!”

As if that was a signal, I found myself surrounded by my new family, all talking at the same time.

“I knew you was clever, but I had no idea…” said Granny.

“My future brother-in-law is a genius!” said Apple Bloom, hugging me around the waist.

“Why didn’t we think of this before?” said Big Mac as he pounded me on the shoulder.

Applejack grabbed me from behind. “You did it again, you did it again!” she yelled as she squeezed my chest.

“Heh, ah, well, yes, I thought it a good plan,” I said as two Earth mares tried to squeeze me into thirds. “I’m very glad you all approve since I made the pact without asking the family first.”

“You keep thinking like that, Youngster, and you can make any pacts you please,” said Granny, sliding under my left leg and hugging my left side. “And it’s wonderful for Ma and the fillies, too! The fillies can go t’ school now if they want.”

“I do have t’ wonder, though,” said Granny as the family pulled away from me and went back to their usual positions, “how in Equestria did you get the Brickleback deed from that horrible mare? She’d take the coins from your eyes.”

I had no doubt Granny meant Lady Silver. The Equestria 10 bit coin had a unicorn stallion rampant on one side. I turned sideways, struck that pose, lit my horn and said, “Charisma!” That got a general round of laughter and applause, particularly from Granny and Apple Bloom who always loved a good show.

After a pause, Granny clapped her front hooves together. “C’mon, Family, like we practiced.” The Apples lined up on the far side of the room, Granny Smith first, then Big Mac, AJ and Apple Bloom. I had no idea what they were doing but knew it was something momentous.

“Ready?” said Granny, after taking a deep breath and looking over at the other Apples. She then turned to me.

“Amaryllis,” said Granny.

“William,” said Big Mac.

“Heather,” said my AJ.

“Fiorella,” finished Apple Bloom.

Their Private Names! The Apple Family was giving me their Private Names all at once, the ultimate expression of trust. I was deeply moved and felt a pair of tears track down my muzzle. I gave a full bow. “You do me a tremendous honor, Apples. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Each one of my family smiled at me as I raised from the bow.

I wiped my eyes and nose and thought it was a good thing I owned more than one clean handkerchief after the last few days. I wasn’t finished, though.

“Apples, I have no Private Name. I would ask you, my new family, to give me one.”

Granny, AJ and Big Mac looked surprised, but Apple Bloom just looked eager. Apple Bloom stood on her rear hooves, tugged on AJ’s left front leg and whispered something in her ear when AJ bent over. AJ’s expression showed she liked it, so she pulled Granny and Big Mac into another huddle. I could hear murmuring and then saw nods all around.

The Apples turned back around and Apple Bloom stepped forward. “Maker,” she said.

Ponies had a vast collection of what they called “mare’s tales” and what in my prior life we called “fairy stories.” A goodly number of them were about Maker Jack, a unicorn stallion mage and something of a Trickster similar to the American Indian Coyote. Maker Jack always made money no matter what he did, built strange contraptions from almost nothing and came up with convoluted schemes (which always worked) to punish the rude or the wicked. Sometimes he teased or fooled his friends as well just because he could. He also was a libertine with many mare conquests, none of which got him into trouble. “Maker” was an outstanding choice. I didn’t know until much later Apple Bloom and her friends called me that already.

I made a full bow again, then rose. “Thank you. From this day forth, my Private Name is Maker Ben.” I stood straighter. “And know this, Apples…no, know this, Family: I pledge my Life, my Fortune and my Sacred Honor to you and yours and swear I will never bring shame upon this house.” While I was talking, my horn started to glow, and when I finished a wave of magic spread out in a dark blue circle to envelope the Apples. It kept going until it reached the borders of the farm, then reflected back to return to me. The oath was a strong enough one the Magic Herself honored it. When a mage as powerful as I takes an oath, duck and cover, I tell you what. That was why mages almost never swore, even in jest.

My family watched in astonishment, then when they felt my love and sincerity, started laughing and crying at the same time. Before I knew it, I was buried in another Earth pony pile. I didn’t mind, though, since they were…family.

Harvest Festival

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

“Poems for Mages and Mechanics”, The Equestrian Encyclopedia of General Knowledge

After a few minutes, we sorted ourselves out and planned the rest of our day. AJ would go with me to pick up the baler while Apple Bloom wanted to spend time with her friends at the Festival. Granny was more than happy to stay at home and go over the accounts one more time while Big Mac said he was going into town. He and I shared a meaningful look since “town” for Big Mac meant either the tavern or the spa. He and I were on an extremely short list of Very Important Ponies and the spa ponies treated us well. Very, very well. I went on occasion when I’d first moved to Ponyville but hadn’t been since I started Courting AJ. The mares didn’t know, of course, but I was sure Granny suspected. She never said a word about it, though.

AJ and I waved as we left the house, and then trotted toward the workshop. We traveled in a companionable silence, something I loved about AJ; she wasn’t a talker and knew the value of not saying anything most of the time. We stopped by the telegraph office first and I sent a telegram to Shining Armor while AJ waited outside:

NEED TO SEE YOU AND COUNCIL STOP ARRIVE ON AFTERNOON OF THIRD QUESTION MARK

BI

That done, we headed out of town.

We were almost to the workshop when I stopped a moment to listen to a groundhog cursing the hard ground as he tried to dig. I turned from listening and watched AJ walk away from me for a few strides. She looked back, saw what I was doing and twitched her tail back and forth as she shifted from hoof to hoof.

“Like what you see, Partner?” she said, batting her eyelashes.

In answer, I leapt forward and nipped her left croup. She squealed in surprise and kicked out, her hoof just missing the side of my head since I’d already dodged. I tore off down the road as fast as I could run and I could hear AJ’s hooves pounding behind me. I’d forgotten it was only two days after harvest, though, and AJ passed me like I was standing still. She jumped and turned in mid-air, landed facing me and then charged back in my direction. I just had time to slam to a stop when she tackled me.

For the third time today I somersaulted backwards twice and ended up with a mare on my chest.

“I’ll teach you to bite me in the butt, ya masher,” AJ said and started chewing on my neck. I wasn’t about to take that, so I locked my hooves behind her back and neck, then rolled her over and over until we were in a meadow next to the road. I ended up on top and we were both panting and laughing at the same time. As I stared down at her, I loved her more then than I thought it possible to love anypony. Not a One True Love, no, but a good, solid love. I kissed her as passionately as I could and put some of my new magic behind it; when a high-level mage kisses you, you know it, if I do say so myself.

AJ moaned and wrapped her front hooves around my neck. I didn’t want to get too chummy by the side of the road, so I broke it off. I hoped we could have some time together later, though.

“I love you, Heather,” I said, meaning every word.

“I love you, too, Maker Ben,” AJ answered, then kissed me on the nose. “Come on, Studly, let’s go get that baler.”

We got up and dusted ourselves off. AJ found that absurd hat of hers and we trotted on to the workshop. We refreshed ourselves, then I fired up the steam truck and hitched the flatbed to it. I asked AJ if she wanted to drive and when she agreed, I had her practice backing and parking the flatbed. She soon got the hang of turning the front wheels the opposite way she wanted to the flatbed to turn, so I hopped into the cab and we were on our way.

Brickleback Farm was about half an hour from the workshop when I took the steam vehicles, so it came into sight about an hour before noon. We steamed into the barnyard and there sat the baler, waiting for us to load it. AJ backed the flatbed expertly and I unwound the winch so I could hook it to the baler. I’d just hooked it up when out of the house burst the Brickle fillies with Ma Brickle right behind them. I thought they’d be in town by now for the Harvest Festival else I’d have knocked on the door first.

I had a few seconds to study the mares as they galloped toward me. The harvest had done the Brickle fillies as much good as the Apples and each had flowing manes and shining hides. Each wore a bow in their manes and tails, too, a different color for each filly.

“Greetings, Brick…” and once again I didn’t get to finish a sentence. Spring made it to me first and, just like Applejack this morning, picked me up and twirled me around. Spring was one sturdy mare, too, and could almost match Big Mac for strength but at least she didn’t squeeze like AJ. Fall made it to me next and, when Spring put me down, inserted herself under my right front leg even though she had to push since Spring still had both front hooves wrapped around me. Summer and little Winter piled on, Summer on the left and Winter on my back. I looked over and saw AJ grinning as she leaned against the flatbed.

All the Brickles were talking at once:

“Mr. Wizard, Mr. Wizard, Ma says you saved our farm…!!!”

“…can’t thank you enough, Mr. Inventor, Ma says the new baler…”

“…can I come visit you at the workshop? I want to watch you fix somethin’ with magic again…”

“…know Rarity? Oh, her dresses are so pretty. Ma says I can have one next year if the harvest…”

Ma Brickle trotted up a little more sedately but still moving faster than usual. “Fillies, fillies! Let the poor stallion get a word in edgewise! Fillies!!”

The Brickle fillies all broke off and lined up in front of me in age order. Ma raised a hoof, and then lowered it. “Thank you, Mr. Inventor,” they all said, except Winter, who said, “Thank you, Mr. Wizard!!” as loudly as she could yell.

How wonderful, I thought, how Alive these beautiful, splendid mares are. I shifted into healer mode for a moment so I could actually See their robust, glowing health. I thought for a split second of Lady Silver’s “filthy Earth ponies” comment, and then put her out of my mind.

“You’re welcome, Beautiful Young Mares. It has been my pleasure,” I answered and gave a half bow.

Ma came up next to me and put a hoof on my right shoulder. “I want t’ thank you too, Ben,” she said, looking at her fillies. “Thank you so much for everything you’ve done.”

I covered her hoof with my left one. “Not at all, Ma. As your new partner, I believe I got the best part of this deal, I tell you what.” I looked at the fillies as I said it and out of the corner of my eye saw Ma wipe away a couple of tears. I guessed she didn’t cry easily and when she did it was alone where nopony could see.

Ma snapped out of it and clapped both her front hooves together. “Who’s for lunch? Ben and Applejack, please join us.”

“The moment we have the baler secure, Ma. Five minutes, perhaps?”

“That’ll give us just enough time to get ready,” said Ma as she turned toward the house. The fillies shot forward at once and galloped toward the house after waving good-bye to me and AJ. I enjoyed their youthful exuberance.

“You got a way with th’ fillies, you surely do,” said AJ as she came up beside me.

“Haven’t you heard, fiancée? I’m irresistible.”

AJ just rolled her eyes and took her position at the winch.

We loaded the baler and chained down the wheels so it wouldn’t roll, then trotted to the house. Ma did indeed have lunch ready and a feast it was. Turnips, of course, but also carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, some late pumpkins and on and on. She must have traded for it since she was too proud to take any donations. As always, I enjoyed watching the Earth ponies eat. The fillies had excellent table manners, actually better than my new family’s, so I hoped AJ was paying attention. The fillies chatted a mile a minute about the Festival while AJ, Ma and I just listened.

We finished soon enough since Earth ponies don’t leave food around for very long.

“Now, then,” I said as we all walked back to the baler. “Who would like a ride to the workshop?”

All the fillies did, of course, and even sedate Spring reared a little at the idea.

“Very good. Up, if you please, and make sure you don’t fall under the wheels. Ma? Are you not going into town?”

“No, thanks,” said Ma. “Let the young’uns enjoy themselves. They’ll spend the night with Widow Grass and walk back day after tomorrow.”

“Hmm, Widow Grass. We have to clean her flue later since somepony scheduled work for this afternoon,” I said, looking at Applejack pointedly. AJ just pretended to whistle and looked up at the sky. “So, Ma, what will you do?”

“Something I haven’t done in years, Ben, not since Jedidiah died.”

“And what, if I may ask, is that?”

Ma Brickle laughed a loud, long laugh and I could see the filly she once was. “Nothing! Nothing at all! Put up my hooves and just sit!”

AJ and I both grinned along with her. “Sounds very fine to me, Ma. Well, we’re off. Brickle fillies? All set?”

Spring, Summer and Fall were in place around the baler with their rear hooves hanging off the edge and waved their readiness to leave. Winter came up to me and wrapped her little front hooves around my left front leg.

“Can I ride with you and Miss Apple in th’ front? I’m scared I’ll fall and get squished.”

“May I ride…?” I corrected.

“May I ride…?”

“Of course, Winter,” I said as Spring and Fall rolled their eyes and Summer stuck out her tongue. “You can sit on my lap while Miss Apple drives.”

We all waved to Ma as we pulled away and headed for the workshop. I had Winter on my lap and she talked and talked and talked. AJ loved foals and knew exactly what to do, asking an occasional question and inviting Winter to spend some time with Apple Bloom at Sweet Apple Acres.

We were at the workshop by 12:30. The fillies hopped off the flatbed and AJ backed it next to the workshop loading dock. I used a touch of magic to roll the baler onto the dock and then into the back storage area. Most likely I’d work on it there since I had just enough room to take it apart and build another. I waved to AJ and she pulled around to the side and backed the flatbed into its garage, then parked the truck. The Brickles watched all of this avidly.

“I’ll finish up here, AJ. Would you show the fillies around and let them refresh themselves before they head into town?”

“Sure,” said the ever-agreeable AJ. She picked up Winter, called to the fillies and they all headed inside. I turned off the magical fire on the steam truck, vented the excess steam and oiled the piston rods and a few other moving parts. I was almost finished then I heard a TWEEEEEET. It was unmistakably a steam whistle and I thought for a moment I’d somehow set off the truck’s. Right away I realized the only thing it could be was the hot water heater. I’d adapted one of my old steam truck boilers as a magic fired hot water heater and left the steam whistle in place as a safety valve. If it was going off and the fillies were inside…

I dropped the oil can and raced to the front of the shop. I burst in through the front door only to find a very angry Spring and Summer glaring at Fall. Fall had withered under their stares and her whole body drooped. Tears were dripping down her muzzle onto my Baltimare carpet. Winter clung to Applejack and even AJ looked slightly annoyed.

“Oh, Fall!” yelled Spring. “I’ve a good mind to send you home right now!”

“Yeah!” said Summer. “Wait’ll Ma hears what you did. She’ll wear you out!”

“What happened, what happened?” I said, panting from my run. “Is anypony hurt?”

“No, Mr. Inventor, it was just Fall getting into her usual trouble,” said Summer, whacking Fall on the head with her hoof.

Fall looked up at me, her ears drooping, tears streaming down her muzzle and her nose running. “I didn’t mean to! I didn’t mean to do anything! Please don’t send me home!”

“You never mean to do anything, Fall, and still you wreck stuff,” said Summer. “Remember that punkin’ thrower you made?” Summer turned to me. “Fall pulled the whistle on your boiler, Mr. Inventor.” Poor Fall just sobbed louder and looked at the floor.

I somehow managed not to laugh and pulled yet another handkerchief out of my pouch. I was thankful I’d put in two clean ones before AJ and I left.

I tucked my legs under and knelt in front of Fall. I held her head in one hoof and wiped her eyes and nose with the handkerchief in the other. “Fall, that will do. You’re not hurt and neither are any of us.”

Fall looked up at me with those gorgeous amber eyes of hers as her sobs turned into sniffles. She’ll be a real beauty, this one, I thought. I held her under her chin and kept wiping. “It was just a safety valve for the water heater. Actually, I hadn’t tested it in some time, so you’ve done me quite the favor. Good to know it will work in case of a real emergency”

Fall finally stopped crying and her ears perked a little. “Yeah?” she sniffed.

“Yes, indeed. Testing is most important for a mechanic, you know. You always test your designs and your safety features. If they don’t work, you try something else.”

“Now, then, that’s over,” I said as gave Fall one final wipe. “Perhaps you’d like to clean up a bit in the bathroom?”

Fall nodded and trotted up the steps.

“I’m so sorry, Mr. Inventor,” said Spring. “We’ll go home now.” Spring looked disappointed and then angry. “Fall’s managed to ruin the fun for everypony.”

Apprentice her, said my Lady Magic.

My thoughts exactly, my Lady.

I’d stood and had one hoof against my mouth as if I were deep in thought.

“’Pumpkin thrower’, you say?” I asked Summer.

Summer nodded. “Made it out of some parts she found in the barn and tossed a punkin’ right through one of the parlor windows. I thought Ma would never stop fuming, she was so mad.”

Fall had come back from the bathroom and was doing the best she could to shrink into the floor.

“Ah, Fall, here you are. I’m going to ask you some questions and I want you to answer as best as you can, all right?”

“Uh…okay,” said Fall, still looking miserable.

“Here we go,” said AJ. “He’s got another one of his ideas.”

“A young filly buys 10 notebooks and 5 pens costing 2 bits each. How much did the filly pay?”

Fall’s eyes glazed for a moment. “Uh…30 bits?”

“More decisively, please.”

“30 bits,” said Fall without hesitation.

“Correct. The area of a rectangle is 24 square feet. The width is two less than the length. What is the length and width of the rectangle?”

“The length is 6 and the width is…ah, 4?”

“Good. A train leaves Canterlot at 7AM moving at 15 miles per hour, while a second train…” I asked Fall various questions for another 10 minutes or so. She was as brilliant as I expected, only missing a few. She was weak on metallurgy but it was just a lack of knowledge. She also had an instinctive grasp of torque, force and tensile strength which surpassed mine. Her sisters just stood and listened, wide-eyed, while AJ did the same with a slight smile.

When I finished, Fall had regained her usual slightly manic enthusiasm. I pretended to ponder again.

“Fall?”

“Yeah?”

“’Yes, sir,’” I corrected.

“Yes, sir?”

“Fall, how would you like to work here in the shop with me this Winter? We’ll make our first project building the two balers. We’ll have to get permission from your mother first, of course, but…”

Fall leapt forward and grabbed me around the waist. “YES! Yesyesyesyes! I’ll do it!”

“What?” said Spring. “You mean you actually want to have Fall around?”

I’d wrapped both front hooves around Fall since she didn’t seem likely to let go anytime soon. I could love this one like a daughter, I thought. To Spring I said, “Fall is a mechanical engineer, Spring. She has to build, experiment and create, else she’s miserable. I’d like to teach her.”

“She won’t blow up the farm or anythin’, will she?” said a dubious Summer.

I laughed as Fall pulled away. “No, Summer, just the opposite. A trained mechanic is invaluable on a farm. It’s only the untrained ones who get into trouble.”

“Well, I’ll be,” said Spring.

“And Ma must approve, or no apprenticeship no matter how much you may want it, Fall.”

Fall nodded frantically.

“Oh, she’ll approve,” said Spring, wryly. “She most certainly will.”

“Well, as soon as she does, we’ll work out the details, work hours, pay and so on,” I said.

“I get paid, too?” said an ecstatic Fall.

“You’re working, young mare, and providing a service, so yes, Not a great deal, but something.”

Fall stuck out her tongue at Spring and Summer.

“Young mare engineer apprentices do not stick out their tongues at others, Miss Brickle tertius,” I said sternly.

“Sorry, Mr. Inventor,” although Fall looked anything but.

“Well, that’s settled. Now, then, off you fillies go to town. It would be a nice gesture if you stopped in to see the Widow Grass first to let her know you’re here.”

Spring and Summer both nodded.

“Hmm, do you have enough money?” I asked, trying to think of anything else the mares might need.

Spring and Summer looked at one another, then reached into their pouches. They each held out a 1 bit coin. Fall held out a ½ bit coin, a denomination I’d rarely seen. Winter just held out two empty hooves.

I cleared my throat. “Yes, well. I had a bit of a windfall the other day. Why don’t you take it?” I reached into my pouch and handed Spring and Summer a 10 bit coin each, then gave Fall and Winter a 5 bit coin each. Each filly looked as if I’d given them one of the Crown Jewels.

After a pause, Spring and Summer stepped to either side of me and kissed me on the muzzle at the same time. Fall pulled my head down for a kiss as well and Winter held up her front hooves until I lifted her up so she could kiss my nose.

“Thank you, Mr. Inventor,” Spring said, speaking for all the fillies. “You’re so good to us.”

“You’ve earned it, my hard-working mares. Now, as for you two,” I said, nodding to Spring and Summer, “take this to Rarity’s boutique.” I pulled out an index card and wrote a quick note. “She’ll take your measurements in case you want to order a dress from her later. You can talk fabrics and styles with her as well.” I looked at my curled right hoof. “I may have some influence with the dressmaker, by the way.”

The two mares looked at each other and squeed like schoolfillies, then started to giggle.

“Enough! Go!” I said, shooing them out the door.

“’Bye! Thank you again! ‘Bye, Mr. Inventor.” And away they galloped, AJ and I waving to them from the kitchen porch.

“And what was the ‘windfall’ you had the other day, Partner?” AJ asked as we came back inside.

“I don’t need one, AJ; I have you and that’s the only windfall I’ll ever need.”

“So sweeeet!” said AJ and, dewy eyed, kissed me on the muzzle.

On a streak today, I thought, pleased. “Let’s go get the wagon so we can start on those flues. Do you have any old burlap bags?”

“Hundreds,” said AJ, “and some new ones, too.”

“Old works since it’s just for the ash. We’ll take the sacks to City Hall so they can spread ash on the sidewalks when it snows. And we’ll charge them 2 bits per sack, too,” I said, rubbing my hooves together. “Here, let me get us some goggles and we’ll be on our way.”

And so we were. We headed to the first house from Sweet Apple Acres and started right in, AJ at the fireplace catching the ash and me on the roof, then switching off every other house. Even using magic, cleaning flues is a dirty business and by mid afternoon we were both as black as the Headless Horse except for our eyes where the goggles fit.