• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 5,183 Views, 269 Comments

I'm no Mother, right? - Sense of Humor



In which Starlight discovers a filly taking shelter from a storm and changes her own life forever.

  • ...
12
 269
 5,183

Page 7

Aqua wouldn't deny being cross with her mother.

The filly was pouty-glaring up at the ceiling, which was barely bathed in moonlight and crossed her forearms under the blankets. Her distantly rumbling stomach only made her glare more; how was she supposed to know that she'd made too many bubbles in the bath? It didn't look likeep a lot to her...and even if it was a lot, it was no excuse for depriving her of any cupcakes for the night! That just wasn't fair, and she knew it.

The filly lamented that her mother had been a bit cranky with her today altogether, over things that counted as rules. She touched something that wasn't in the cart and was scolded for, and tonight the same had happened in the bathroom. Was Aqua not understanding the rules that Starlight gave? Was Starlight actually unfair? Should she get a cupcake anyways? She obviously answered that last one in her mind.

Maybe I could sneak one from the Kitchen? She asked herself, before recalling that her mom hadn't gone into the next door room after sending her to bed. She was probably patrolling the halls right now, waiting to catch Aqua in the act.

Cupcakes aren't exactly the best midnight snack anyways.

Aqua agreed with this statement halfheartedly, only to jolt upright in bed when she realized that someone had said that. She looked around the room but didn't make out any shapes in the darkness. The young pony didn't seem to notice that the room was much darker than before. W-Who said that? Who's there?

Silence filled her ears for a moment or four, before she heard the voice again. A friend, of course. No need to be afraid, Aqua. It was hard to describe the voice; it was obviously male and yet not so baritone as other ponies.

I'm not scared. Aqua puffed out her chest a little more, wings bristling softly to try and intimidate the source of the voice. I'm not scared of anything. I'm just...uh...curious. How do you know my name?

The voice chuckled, sending a strange feeling into the filly. She didn't know what it was, but it caused her to shudder even though it wasn't cold. I may or may not have been watching you and your...mother for some time. Overheard your name.

Auqa frowned a bit deeper, a bit more suspiciously. Are you the pony that's been watching me and mommy?

I'll admit that I am that pony, you might say. But I assure you that I'm not trying to be mean to you. I'd never try that against someone who looks as strong as you do.

Aqua, unfortunately, did not understand sarcasm and didn't detect the hint of hidden in his sentence...or the strange tone of interest it had. The filly believed she had actually intimidated the voice, and proudly pretended to inspect her hoof in the darkness.Yep. You'd better not try a thing...uh...what's your name?

The voice laughed again. You may call me Mast, little one. I must say that's nice to meet you in person...to help you.

Help me? Aqua inquired curiously, softly smiling at random places, even though she gave up on trying to find who was talking to her. That's...nice of you, but help me with what, Mast?

Well, he began with a cough. Your dearest mother has been quite the punisher lately, hasn't she?

Yeah...I don't why though. I do what she asks me to and I still got in trouble.

Perhaps you're looking at this all wrong, hmm? Perhaps she doesn't really want you to follow her orders.

Aqua raised an eyebrow at his words. What do you mean?

Allow me to explain...

Author's Note:

Shortest chapter award goes to me. I'm so thrilled. :applecry:

Our mysterious, evil friend is about to give some advice to our little pony that won't go so well the next day. ):-)