• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 5,183 Views, 269 Comments

I'm no Mother, right? - Sense of Humor



In which Starlight discovers a filly taking shelter from a storm and changes her own life forever.

  • ...
12
 269
 5,183

Page 3

-3-

Morning came fast and with it, sunlight rays that somehow managed to blast through her window drapes and onto her eyelid. She blinked and groaned in protest of the stupid light, trying in vain to go back to sleep after covering her eyes with an arm. Once a good ten minutes had passed, she slowly let her arm fall and blinked blearily. As evidenced, last night hadn't brought her much sleep.

It wasn't because of Aqua so much, but more of a random headache that had pressed on for much of her night. It one point it was pounding pain that had her wincing and turning about under her covers. Now it was mysteriously gone and all that was left was a sleep deprived mare. She reluctantly got out of bed and stood in front of her dresser to view herself in front of the mirror.

Her hair looked something akin to a mishappen porcupine with severe mange, tufts and strands going I'm every direction of Equestrian and then some. Bags hung limply under her tired eyes and her mouth was drawn into a grim looking line. The word 'Natural beauty' could sum it all up of course, but Starlight wouldn't be satisfied with it. She levitated a brush and decided to get to work on her hair at least, since it was the worst.

After that bit of fun, she trotted out her room and immediately turned the nextdoor room's door to open it...only, it was already open. She peeked inside and gasped: there was no filly in the unmade bed. Swallowing, the unicorn turned and trotted a little faster towards the stairs.

"Aqua? Aaaaqua?" Starlight coughed slightly; it was a weird name to be saying just after waking up. "Hey! Where are you? Aqua?"

It didn't take very long for her to get to the bottom of the stairs and Aqua revealed herself in a friendly, calm greeting just as she was about to pass under the second floor.


"RAAAAAAAAAAAAR!"

In the middle of making a soprano mouse impression, Starlight fell onto her back from the sudden leap in her chest. A small, familiar body lept from the balcony railing and within seconds landed softly enough on the unicorn's belly. Aqua sat up in an instant and presented a practiced grin filled with pearly teeth.

"That," Starlight's eyes narrowed. "Was not funny."

"Teeheehee!" Sprinkle snickered into her hoof and caused her caretaker to roll her eyes sarcastically. Then she hugged the bigger pony tightly for a few moments, obviously giving a physical greeting.

Starlight sat up slowly, allowing the filly to slide off harmlessly. "Good morning to you too. I was just about to make breakfast, but you went and scared me! That was mean."

Aqua shook her head.

"Yuh-huh."

She shook her head again.

"Yuh-huh." Starlight finished playfully and began to lead her into the kitchen. "But lucky for you, I'm forgiving!"

Once Aqua giggled again, it sparked a small smile from Starlight. Perhaps things weren't going to be as hard as she originally thought between them? In any case, she had three more days to decide on that one. Speaking of decisions, a note on the oven described that some decisions had been made for her previously:

Dear Starlight,

Hope you have a great day with little Aqua! Spike and I are gonna be handling your problems for the day! You should visit the other girls or parts of ponyville to show her around!

One your best Pals, Twilight Sparkle

P.S., that book on the counter made my mouth water. I hope Aqua Sprinkle likes what's in it!

Starlight raised an eyebrow as she finished reading the note, noticing a slightly thin hardcover book sitting on the counter not far away. It read: 'Breakfast meals that your young ones will love'.

"A bad, cliche title maybe..." She shrugged and briefly glanced at Aqua waddling up to her. "I guess you'll be eating whatever's in this book. I just hope we have the ingredients for anything in here."

And I hope everything tastes like Ice Cream!

The sentence was exclaimed within her head somehow, she felt the light vibration in her brain and the slight echo that came with the strange voice. She shrieked in surprise and lept around to find the source of the voice but aside from Sprinkle, there was nopony there to have made that statement. But that was impossible: someone would have to be really close for it sound like they were talking in her head.

Starlight frowned, confused and a little worried during her second glance at the confused filly. "You heard that voice, right? Did you see anypony in the room?"

Aqua Sprinkle blinked a few times. Noooo, I've been here with you the whole time. Remember?

"AAAAAAAUGH!" Starlight schreeched again, flinging herself away from the filly thanks to reflexes. She didn't have much experience with suddenly strange things happening (especially this) but whenever something sudden did happen, she was quick to get out of the way. " YOU'RE TALKING IN MY HEAD!"

Wow, really? That's cool! Auqa started to walked forward towards her. Can you hear my thoughts too? What kind of animal am I thinking about right now?

"NO!" She grabbed the nearest object and held in front of herself with both hooves, scooting back as quick as a frantic flash. "YOU KEEP AWAY FROM ME, YOU...uh...YOU!"

The filly sent her an unimpressed look. Or else you'll attack me with a napkin?

Starlight stared pitifully at her weapon of choice, before returning her attention to the pegasus."Stop doing that, it's weird!"

Sorry! Sorry! I didn't mean to!

"You're still doing it!"

I'm not trying to!

Starlight half groaned and half sighed. "How are you doing that, anyway?! You're not supposed to be able to talk up here!"


I dunno... Aqua Sprinkle fiddled with her hoof nervously. I've been thinking all kinds a'stuff 'fore I got here...so I don't know why you can hear me now instead of 'fore.

"That makes two of us..." The unicorn agreed and got up carefully, eyeing the filly along the way. She wasn't very used to this new development, but she'd seen weirder things...most of which she had caused. " How long have you...done this?"


I dunno...I'm only nine. I don't remember anything weird like this happening before...

Starlight eventually managed to stand near the oven again, looking down on her. "Do you remember how you got under that tree?"

Sprinkle's shoulders sank in disappointment. No...All I remember was waking up and seeing you.

"Then...How do you know what words to say? Grammar and all that?"

She shrugged pitifully as a response. The gesture came just before Starlight hesitantly sat next to the smaller pony and sighed aloud. She felt that she'd asked too many questions and was probably embarrassing Aqua in some way. "...I'm sorry about the reaction I had to...you know. It's just...very unusual to have someone talking in your head. Sure, I've had a few strange adventures and all, but this a new kind of strange. You do understand, right?"

She nodded slowly to confirm it.

"And I didn't make you sad by accident? You're alright?"

Yes, Mommy...

"That's great! I,uh, guess I'll get back to..." Starlight's cheeks glowed a bit red. "Wait, did you just call me 'Mommy'?"

Uhuh! Cuz yur my Mommy! Aqua exclaimed through an innocently adorable grin.

"Oh no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no noooo...I am not your Mother. Nuh uh. No way."

But yur taking care of me! I heard so! And yur a girl!

"Well, that's all true...but I haven't ado...I haven't taken you here in an official way, so I'm not your actual mother!" Starlight nervously smirked. " Just a caretaker, okay?"

Okay Mommy!

"...You know what? I think I'm gonna make you some blueberry pancakes."


The Applefarm stood high up even as the distance was growing shorter with each step. The two of them had decided to visit Applejack and her family after Starlight suggested it, mostly after she realized that new guests to the Applefarm got free food samplings. Not to mention Applebloom would most likely be there for the weekend and they might be good friends...if they got past the speech issue. In fact, Starlight was currently discussing things with the filly now. "So yeah, don't do any head-talking if it's possible for them to hear it. "

She furrowed her brow adorably. Why?

"Because if we give Applejack a heart attack, then it wouldn't be very nice. I'll explain that you, er, can't talk. Like the Doctor said and maybe later, when all my friends are around I'll explain your unique ability."

Why can't I talk? Aqua Sprinkle questioned and stopped walking, causing Starlight turn and hesitantly sit in front of her. I try to a lot...but nothing comes out. It's like it's trapped. But why?

"...Life's just like that sometimes. You can't explain why something happens," Starlight offered in the most sympathetic way she could manage. "It just does. Maybe you'll get better when you're older...or maybe really soon."

The child shrugged and began to walk again, which signaled her to do the same thing . I really hope I can talk someday...

"Me and you both." Starlight smirked softly. "I think I'd like you better moving your mouth than your mind...No offense."

"Teeheehee!" Sprinkle's laugh trailed off into silence that wasn't awkward, the best kind, just as they walked under the sign holding the title of the many acres. Who better to coincidentally be waiting for them in front of the barn than Applejack herself, leather hat and all. Almost as usual, she had a straw between her teeth just like those old western movie characters.

"Howdy y'all! Ain't you a sight for sore eyes!" Applejack beamed proudly. "And ya brought a lil somepony new!"

Aqua was surprisingly not shy in greeting Applejack, and showed this by waving enthusiastically at her. The country mare still grinned, but was obviously a bit confused about her not speaking. When she looked up at Starlight, the unicorn briefly stated: "I-I'll explain later."

Applejack shrugged it off. "Well, y'all have good timin'- comin' over here when ya did! There's a few hay bales I need to get up on the indoor balcony as fast as possible, an' I could use her help!"

Before any response could even be thought up, a small yellow filly with red hair screeched to a halt next to the orange earth pony. "I finished picking up th' leaves, Sis! Now let's go!"

"Not yet, Applebloom!" She explained. "I still gotta pick up the hay bales! But it won't take long...You remember Starlight Glimmer, raght?"

"Howdy Ma'am!" Applebloom greeted.

"Hello!"

"She's taking care of this here filly for now, until things get sorted out an' all!" Applejack finished by gesturing to the opposite filly majestically. "Name's Aqua Sprinkle, I think."

"Howdy, Aqua! Nice ta meet you!" Her little sister introduced herself happily. "I'm Applebloom!"

Starlight cringed from the awkward silence and hoofshakes that followed. "Actually, she's...got a condition, Applebloom. She can't really talk. It's something she'll most likely grow out of, though."

"Oh. Okay!" Applebloom didn't look deterred by this news in the slightest. If she really didn't judge ponies this way, then Starlight was even more thankful that these two fillies met. "That's alright!"

Applejack looked as if she remembered something important and looked down st her sister. "I just remembered! Since she's new to ponyville, she gets the free food sampling! Why don't you take her down 'Edible Lane'?"

"I still think we should have called it 'Appleville'." Applebloom muttered under her breath and gestured for her new friend to follow her. "Come on! It's inside the house!"

With one last look back at her caretaker, Aqua Sprinkle galloped after her towards the Apple home. Pretty soon, Starlight was effortlessly stacking the hay bales around the top of the inner barn as requested and Applejack 'supervised' the whole thing. "Sooo, I think it's pretty nice that yer adopting that cute little kid."

"I'm not really adopting her. I'm still sorting things out right now, so...I'm just taking care of her."

"Sure ya are."

Starlight paused to look at her friends confident smirk and rolled her eyes. "I'm going to ignore that and ask a few questions while I'm here...How was handling Applebloom like?"

The orange grin fell. "Beg yer pardon?"

"Y'know, How was raising up Applebloom like? Was of difficult, was it easy? Did things go wrong?" She questioned carefully, since a hay bale had come close to falling off. "I'd like to hear from personally. It might help me out here."

"Well...I'm not gonna say it was easy. There was a lot of work put into making sure she never got sick, or being taught right from wrong and all that." Applejack shrugged. "But it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. For every argument that eventually stirs between us, there's more moments where we both have a good laugh. She was always interested in learning, so teaching her was easy. All me or Big Mac needed was patience."

"Is that what it takes to be a...Mother?"

"Well, I'm no Mother of Applebloom. Let her tell ya, and maybe I am. Though in truth, I suppose I'm closest thing to a mother right about now. So yeah. Patience, I'd say!"

"Huh." Starlight considered asking about Applejack's mother and if she remembered anything vital that could help her. But she slowly refused the idea: she always had a feeling that something awful had happened in the Apple past, and digging up those memories would be bad. "Patience..."

"...I know yer stressing about this 'caretaking' thing and if you're actually going to do things right or not, cuz you don't know a thing about mothers." Applejack placed a gentle hoof on the unicorn's shoulder. "But don't worry! It's not as hard as you reckon it is."

"*sigh*...If you say so." She plopped the last bale on the last space left available to her and turned to Applejack. "How is BigMac anyways? Has he forgiven me for the whole 'Motormouth issue'?"

"He says the next time he sees you he's going to pour liquid rubber on yer horn."

"...I'll take that as a maybe!" Starlight grinned hopefully and started towards the barn's entrance. "Whatcha gonna do now?"

"Applebloom really wants me ta take her to this fancy carnival in Ponyville hosted near the theater. Supposed to be all kinda food and games and rides and entertainment stuff. " The earth pony explained, aloof in her sentences.

"That was today?!Oh, I feel simply awful!" Starlight asked in mock horror. "Must've slipped my mind, what with everything I've been thinking about!"

"You wanted to go too?"

"Uh-YES! I haven't been to a carnival in years! This one has some totally cool animal attractions and this new thing called funnel cake! I heard that the theater's involved in it too, and is playing this new movie called 'Frozen'."

"Oh yeeeeah, that one with Adele Nazeem?" Applejack trick questioned. "Rarity told me it wuz a pretty good movie. Y'know, y'all can come along if ya want! It won't cost us too many bits."

"Are you sure?"

"Positively!"


The carnival was about as lively and action packed as one would expect, right down to the last random clown on a huge unicycle. Thanks to the big open space in downtown ponyville, the creators of the carnival had more than enough space for the elephant rides and the mechanical ones that circled a radius of twelve feet. They had entire aisles of popcorn carts, cotton candy makers and grills for hayburgers or oatdogs. It was a day of fun just ready for the taking.

And they started it out with a line-long wait to get face painting.

Starlight wouldn't have had a problem with it if it weren't for the fact that it was an hour long and her legs were aching. Things would be great if she could at least sit down for a minute or two, instead of break her leg bones. She glanced at Applejack beside her, and then at the two fillies just in front of her. "You girls sure you don't want to try something else? The ride lines are smaller..."

"No thanks! "

Yeah! We're almost near the front anyways!

"Okay then." Starlight relented reluctantly, and waited another thirty minutes to finally get to the front of the line. It took five minutes, but Applebloom eventually got a raccoon styled face and Aqua got a giant butterfly on her face. "You girls look amazing with those styles!"

While Applebloom beamed, Aqua responded with: Thanks, Mommy! Do you want one?

"No thanks. I'll be fine looking the way I usually do." Starlight told her politely, much to the confusion of the earth ponies. She coughed to cover it up. "Um, what are we going to do next?"

"Well, I wanted to take Aqua on a few of the rides and maybe try a few of those oatdogs!" Applebloom explained, then turned to her sister worriedly. "They're not made of real dogs, right?"

"Heh heh! Nope!"

"Phew!" She wiped imaginary sweat from her forehead. "Winona would never forgive me!"

"Be careful, please." Starlight instructed cautiously, to the both of them before they could scamper off. "Once you're finished, just meet us at the Theater. We'll watch a movie for a while. Applejack and I can see what it's like riding an elephant."

"Like a big bloated leather seat, maybe!" Applejack snickered to herself.

"We'll be careful, ma'am! And have fun at the same time!" Applebloom reassured her and led Aqua Sprinkle away to a ride involving a loop. Starlight would have found the time to look after them in a worried way if weren't for her orange pal shoving her in the side with an elbow.

"What happened to me saying 'no stressing'? They'll be fine."

"Hmmph. Well I won't. You could've broken my rib there!" Starlight groaned and turned to face her, her peripheral vision catching something dodging behind the corner of a building. She peered in that direction a bit more closely, but she didn't spot anypony there. Maybe it was a trick of the light? "If I have to go to the hospital..."

"I didn't shove ya that hard ya sissy! And don't try ta change the' subject either. Today is a day for you ta relax! And yer gunna do it!" Applejack smirked and pointed her hoof at the grey skinned pachyderms in a nearby pen. "Now get yer keister on wonna those, so I kin laugh when ya fall off!"

Starlight smiled right back, but reluctantly began her trip towards the short line. "Best Friend Ever."


"...HERE I STAAAAAAAAAND!" Everypony watched the screen in awe. The fictional Alicorn's wings gradually came to her sides as the music around her bellowed in time with her well sung declaration. "IN THE LIII~IIGHT OF DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!"

Elsa took one final step, feeling as proud, confident and more free than ever before.

"Let the storm RAGE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~OOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!"The pony quieted down to the last verse of the song. " The cold never bothered me anyway."

Applejack blinked a few times, turning to look at Starlight. "Woah."

"Yeah..." She didn't look away for quite some time. "Adele Nazeem is really good."

The slackjawed, wide eyed faces of Applebloom and Aqua Sprinkle seemed to agree with that. Two hours had passed since everyone had their introduction to the carnival; which was spent to the fullest. Rides that went as fast as lightning were enjoyed(and a bit feared), animal shows were watched eagerly and food had been eaten...Applejack unfortunately ate one too many funnel cakes before a ride and suffered the consequences much later. Now they were thirty or so minutes through the surprisingly good movie, munching on the popcorn box that was passed around and becoming entranced by the screen. Well, almost entranced.

Starlight had felt a little strange since before riding the elephant, specifically when she saw that figure hide behind the wall. Ever since that, she'd received a strange sense of uneasiness; she felt that eyes were always watching her from afar and coldly calculating some plan. But every time she looked around to find those eyes, she was met with empty space or too many suspects. Starlight couldn't ignore the feeling either because it made her heart race too much for her to be calm about it.

Starlight looked at the seat in front of her, where Aqua was and reviewed a theory she'd been thinking over for some time. The unicorn swallowed and thought a sentence within her mind. Can you hear me Aqua...?

The filly's ear twitched, but noting happened for a long time. ...Mommy? Am I hearing your thoughts too? That's so cool!

Um yes, yes it is. Starlight agreed hastily. I need to ask you something...Did you see anything unusual before we came in here?

Uh...No...Wait! Maybe. I thought I saw someone watching me a few times earlier, but I didn't see anyone after the...fourth time that I spotted them. Did you see somepony?

Once before, Yes...

I hope they aren't mean. The filly's ears drooped a little.

Hmm? Starlight frowned.

Whoever's been watching us. I hope they aren't mean.

A frown settled with Starlight as Aqua refocused her attention on the screen. She didn't like that the little thing had been worried thanks to this mysterious figure one bit. She was determined to make sure that her 'child' regained her sense of security because her personality thus far had been very enjoyable, in some ways adorable too. So whoever had sucessfuly dampened her spirit the tiniest bit had now earned the tiniest bit of her anger. She was the one who volunteered, more or less, to take care of Aqua and protect her. This figure was possibly more interested in Aqua due to her having spotted them more than once.

But if they wanted her, they would have to go through Starlight Glimmer to do it.

Author's Note:

-Insert Batman Vs. Superman music-

Anyways, Sixty comments, 837 views over the course of two days, 124 likes and actually featured! This story must be really great for you guys! I hope I can continue to make it great too. I took inspiration from Baby Dory in Finding Dory for Aqua and then one or two references. Cookies for the one who spots them all or gets them!

If you guys have suggestions, want to help me make this better or just talk about how nice this story is for you, then do so in the comments!

Not sure soon the next page will be up, because I'm currently constructing another story involving The CMC, Pinkie Pie, multiple universes and one of her many new, mysteriously empowered cupcakes. Should be funny and enjoyable too!

See ya! :pinkiehappy: