• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 5,176 Views, 269 Comments

I'm no Mother, right? - Sense of Humor



In which Starlight discovers a filly taking shelter from a storm and changes her own life forever.

  • ...
12
 269
 5,176

Page 2

-2-

Starlight was there the next day, almost the exact same time as yesterday. She felt that she should check on the progress of the filly, to make sure that she'd made it through okay. She was probably suffering the cold for hours before the older pony arrived. Maybe she had pneumonia that the doctors discovered, or frostbite? That last one was a stretch, but she was too nervous to consider it as such. The mare patiently circled the waiting room in silence, just until the doctor she'd seen yesterday entered with a clipboard in hoof. That wasn't good; clipboards were needed to write down more than one thing...

"Good afternoon Starlight! It was very nice to come and check up on your little friend since yesterday!" The doctor exclaimed, and she nodded in response. He looked down at the clipboard for a nanosecond. "How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been alright. H-How is she?"

"Quite fine. Although we were lucky you brought her in when you did: she was on the brink of developing pneumonia, poor thing. We reduced the chance of that greatly of course, and she woke up a few minutes after. "

"N-No other sicknesses?"

"not technically..."

Glimmer raised an eyebrow, happy with the information but eager to know more. "That's great..uh, did you find out who's filly she was, by any chance?"

The doctor shook his head. "Nope. There weren't any blood type matches to be found here, so she doesn't belong to anyone in ponyville. We're waiting on word from other hospitals in Canterlot and Manehatten and other towns."

"She didn't mention any family or anyone else she might have...been with?"

"She didn't mention anything. After an examination on her was complete, we realized that she's... Mute. She can't speak at all." Starlight gasped and he grimly nodded. "Yes, it's unfortunate. On the bright side, she's not completely mute. Natural sounds, such as laughing or groans can be produced."

"It's still terrible." She muttered quietly and almost guiltily, as if she had something to do with it. She didn't, but it didn't make things better. "That explains why she didn't say anything when I asked for her name."

"It's ironic; she asked for you."

"...I thought you said she couldn't talk?"

"She can't. But she is quite the artist. She drew several pictures of you and gestured to them, Ms Glimmer. I believe she wanted to see you again."

That was a bit touching even if they didn't really know each other. Then again, if she had her life saved by a mysterious pony, she'd want to see them again too. "Oh. I see...Where is she now?"

The Doctor smiled and turned to lead her through the doors. "In her room for the moment, occupied with her new drawing pad. Follow me."

She followed quietly, curiously and anxious to see what the little filly looked like now. She and the Doctor passed by several other doors on the way there, and most of them were filled with cranky looking old ponies with a lot of missing teeth. They came to a door in the middle of a hallway, which was soon opened for them to walk inside. Sitting up on a bed that pretty much dwarfed her was the little filly, turquoise coat and all. She looked up from her drawing pad as soon as they neared and offered the unicorn the largest grin known to Ponyville.

"Hi to you too." Starlight smiled good naturedly, but her smile fell apart when the filly unexpectedly leaned out of bed and hugged her tightly. A faint tint of red glowed in the mare's cheeks. "W-Woah! Uh...thanks?"

The foal managed to pick up the drawing pad with her tiny little mouth and present a picture of Starlight herself, competely drawn in crayon. Large blue words in the corner of the page spelled out: 'Thank You'!

"She's been working on it for a while now, in case you ever came back." The Doctor added from behind. "Which, by the way, you did."

Glimmer didn't know what to say to the kind gestures from the foal, and actually felt that she didn't deserve them some reason. She didn't believe herself to be this important... Even so, she wasn't going to turn down the kindness from a sweet little thing like her. She raised a hoof with a blushing smile and patted the filly on the head. "Aw, thanks you! You're a really sweet kid!"

Before much more time could pass with the happy smiles, the Doctor coughed to get her attention and gestured towards the door with his head. She offered one last, shy grin at the filly and followed him out of the door slowly. He waited for the door to close behind him for some reason, and looked at her seriously. "She could have died out there, alone by herself."

The statement slightly surprised her a little. "I'm...aware of that."

"Good...She's still a filly, and you know as well as I do that she's not fit to take care of herself here or anywhere else." The Doctor began. "Which is why...I'm asking you to consider taking care of her."

THAT statement surprised her enough to draw an uneasy laugh from her. "You...You're asking me to adopt her?"

"No! Not if you don't want to. But she does need a caretaker at the moment."

"...I...F-Forgive me if I sound blunt, but do you have any idea who I am?"

"Princess Twilight Sparkle's student."

"Exactly." Starlight frowned, passing to swallow. "I'm not saying I don't want to help her, but a job like mine is a very busy job. I have many things to do in a day and many different ponies to..to meet the expectations of."

"And yet..." He pointed out casually. "You took time to visit her. Why is that?"

Starlight, despite not wanting to, looked through the door's windows. The little foal was drawing again, still bearing that grin from before on her face. "...I just wanted to check on her...she seems like a nice filly. I'd hate to know that anything bad happened to her."

"You care about her well being. The main reason I'd like you to consider caretaking."

"B-But...there's an orphanage here! I've passed by it several times." Glimmer pointed out desperately to him. "She can't stay there? Until someone else takes her in?"

He sighed. "The adoption rate for the orphanage has dropped to numbers you wouldn't believe. They're packed with foals from everywhere and still dealing with new arrivals. It could be months and maybe even several years of juggling with different orphanages, when the problem could be solved much more quickly here."

She opened her mouth to protest, but knew that his argument held a lot of truth. She didn't want to take on such a large responsibility, but realized that it would have consequences if she didn't take action. That filly had obviously been abandoned beforehand, somewhat like Starlight's own past. She didn't want the filly to grow up the way she did, or be abandoned twice.

"Not to mention, she already seems to like you." Starlight realized that he was still talking to her. " And you with her."

"Right, right..." The unicorn rubbed her forehead tiredly and sighed her quietest. "I...I-I think I can try...?"

He smiled and nodded at her. "Four days! You can see how things go within that time. If you know that you don't or do like it, you can tell me before the end of the four days. Okay?"

"...Yeah. Okay."

"Alright. If you want, I can give you a list of names that you can give her?"


"Are you ready, 'Aqua Sprinkle'?"

The little pegasus waddled after her excitedly, holding the drawing pad tightly in her tiny mouth as they both exited the hospital. It was odd to Starlight for a pony to be called Sprinkle at all, but it was the only name the filly liked. And she did look like a sprinkle of aqua anyways, right? Best to be named after what you look like.

This afternoon kinda counted as the first day of her caretaking, and just as she feared: she didn't know what to do with her now that she had her. She didn't know if they should read a book, or if she should buy her a toy or play a game or anything else. It frustrated her to no end; if only her mother had actually given Starlight an experience, then maybe things wouldn't be so difficult now. Maybe she'd have a single, stinkin' clue as to what anypony remotely close to a mother would do here. Perhap-

"Mmmmph!"

Starlight turned around and noticed that Sprinkle had fallen face first into the ground and was flailing her hind legs in an attempt to get back up. "Oh dear. Here, let me help you up."

She used her snout to push her back onto her tiny little legs again. Aqua immediately resumed her speedy waddling after the unicorn, but her focus suddenly turned to something to the right. She made a few squealing sounds and gestured with her hoof to a familiar building not too far away: Sugarcube Corner.

"...er...you w-want to go to that cool looking place over there? I think they have ice cream!" Starlight offered helplessly. Sprinkle blinked in pure, adorable confusion. "You don't know what Ice cream is...? Huh. Well, you're about to know now. Come on!"

Starlight used her magic to levitate the filly up onto her back, and her tiny little wings flailed a little during this. Content with her seat, Sprinkle waved her hooves in the air. "...Um, Hang on tight! We're, uh, a-about to take off!"

Aqua only grinned brightly while her caretaker began to trot at an even pace down to the front doors of Sugarcube Corner, home of one her friends and the best sweets in Ponyville. She would undoubtedly take Starlight's news in an interesting manner and provide ice cream with no hesitation.

"OH MY GOSH! Starliiiight!" She heard Pinkie's voice about two seconds before the door was even opened fully, which was greatly confusing. The pink earth pony was standing there before her with one of her signature grins. "Wasn't expecting you at all! Come on in! How ya been?"

"I've been pretty good actually! " Glimmer grinned slightly. "How have you been?"

"I've been as happy as a cat at a sardine convention! Oooooh!" She took notice of Aqua Sprinkle on her back, who was hiding behind the unicorn's mane shyly. "Is this the itty bitty, teeny meeny, itsy bitsy filly you saved yesterday?"

"...yes. How did you know...?"

"Oh pfft! Twilight told me all about it! That was soooo nice of you, Starry!" Pinkie patted Sprinkle on her head, baring down on her with a cheesy grin. "I hope you feel happy, cutie! Because you've got Glimmer watching your back! And you're ON her back! Ha Ha!"

Aqua giggled a few times at the little joke, and Starlight smirked while shaking her head. "Very funny. I was going to ask for two ice cream cones? One regular sized for me and a baby sized for my little friend here. She's never tasted ice cream before."

"GASP! You've never tasted Icecream before?! I gotta fix this pronto!" The pony bounced off the ground and behind the counter harmlessly, before rummaging in a separate toom for half a minute. Soon, she came back out balancing two icecream cones in the 'palm' of her hoof like she'd practiced or something. "Here! Two ice cream cones on the house!"

"Oh Pinkie, you didn't have to! I would've paid for them!"

"Noooo need! Her first day here is free!" Pinkie somehow stretched her head over the counter to nuzzle the filly's nose, much to Sprinkle's amusement." So whatcha gonna do now?"

"Not too sure...Hmm." Starlight looked as if had an idea. Not an awful idea, just another idea. It might benefit her by the end of it too. "I think I'm going to head back to Twilight's now, actually. Get her accustomed to her temporary home."

"Temporary home?" Pinkie frowned.

"Oops...uh...Did I say Temporary?" Starlight nervously glanced at the confused face of the foal. "No, I meant just a home. Nothing else...I'll have to explain later, Pinkie."

Pinkie saluted her seriously...at least as seriously as she could. "Understood, ma'am! You two have a nice rest -of-your-daaaay!"


"So, my friend is...She's a very important pony here!" Starlight explained, and practically all of Sprinkle's attention was placed on her. "She's actually The Princess, so yeah. Big deal."

"Ooooooh!" She voiced with deep interest and a tilt of her head.

"Yep. This is where I live." Starlight pushed open the doors with a hoof and stalked inside the lobby. She heard Aqua's sounds of amazement from how big the place was, and smirked a little. The unicorn detected sounds coming from the meeting room and trotted inside after a few turns to find out what was going on. "Hey, Twilight I...WOAH!"

She had to duck to avoid being smacked in the head by a flying spike and the soaked mop in his claws. It didn't take her long to notice Twilight using her magic to Carey him around the room, watching as he swiped at the crystal walls with the mop. The way Spike was smiling, he apparently enjoyed flying around.

Eventually he was set down near Twilight and the two finally met Starlight at the room's entrance. "Hi Starlight! And hi to you too, little cutie!"

Aqua giggled nervously under the friendly gaze of the Alicorn princess and waved once or twice. Glimmer shrugged at her teacher. "Well, this is Aqua Sprinkle! I'll be taking care of her for the next four days at least."

"That's GREAT!" Twilight squealed excitedly, much to Starlight's surprise. The Princess coughed to cover it up. "I mean, yeah! That's amazing. Good for both of you."

"Hey! She's a pegasus!" Spike pointed out jokingly. "Ya gonna teach her to fly?"

The unicorn rolled her eyes while smirking. "Sounds like a nice idea, but I think I'll pass on it."

"It's nice she'll be staying for a few days. I think I can have a room arranged for her, what with all the space in this castle." Twilight offered politely, then gasped. "Saaay. Maybe she could visit Applebloom or Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle! Play with them a little?"

"Maybe..." Starlight placed Sprinkle on the floor in front Spike and grinned cheesily. "Why don't you get to know Spike a little bit more, hmm?"

She raced to another corner of the room and gestured for her teacher to join her. Twilight sent her a quizzical look the whole seven trots over. "Uh, are things going alright for you today? Why do you want to talk to me over here?"

"I just didn't want her overhearing." Starlight glanced behind the Alicorn. Spike was doing some sort of disappearing claw trick to entertain Aqua Sprinkle. "See, there's a problem here with this whole caretaking thing...I don't have a clue how to do any caretaking! No idea, I tell you!"

"Um, Okay? You don't have any experience taking care of fillies? You don't remember your mom...oh...uh, sorry about that. I forgot for a moment that you..."

"Yes, I understand...Anyways, I'm too inexperienced for a job like this. What am I supposed to do with her?" She frowned in an exhausted manner. "It's the question like that...that makes me wonder if you have a book or two on caretaking? Even babysitting books would be nice!"

A lavender hoof tapped a lavender chin in thought. "Well, I know I've got a few books in the library under those kinds of titles. Maybe we can pick out a small number of them for you to look through?"

"*sigh*...Yes...That'd be nice."

She felt Twilight place a hoof on her shoulder, and she looked up to see an encouraging smile. "It's okay! You'll find out soon that this isn't as hard as it looks and it's really fun too! Trust me, if you think this'll be tough then you haven't been told about Spike and I."

"I heard that!"

The two ponies held in soft giggles. Well, almost.


Starlight finally pulled the small blanket over the foal's shoulders, watching as she snuggled into the fluffy blanket without hesitation. The moon illuminated the dark room with a calm blue glow and cast nonthreatening shadows from the bed that Aqua Sprinkle was nestled in. Ironically, her room was right next to Starlight's in case the unicorn would be needed. She wasn't sure if she would knock on the wall to get her attention or just walk into Starlight's room, but she pushed those questions out of her head. She wouldn't need anything; she looked almost asleep as it was.

"Well, I can see you're snuggled in pretty nicely!" She offered as warmly as she could, stroking the dark blue mane of her 'child'. "And pretty soon I'm gonna do the same! "

Sleepily, Aqua smiled.

"...okay then! Um, Goodnight. I hope you have pleasant dreams." Starlight stated before turning to walk off. A tiny hoof on her shoulder stopped her and directed her back to the filly. She waved in a timid manner while yawning loudly; Glimmer had a pretty good feeling that her all too adorable gestures wished her a good night too.

Her heart felt warm again, like when the filly had slept against her just yesterday. Starlight wasn't very sure what this warm feeling in her heart was or why she was experiencing it so much with Aqua Sprinkle, but she knew one thing for certain: she liked the feeling. It made her feel pretty good about herself, as If she were important.

She also knew that Aqua was starting to grow on her.

Author's Note:

Ooooh! A lot of reviews and likes and tips and statements and favorites and adding to different areas and stuff! I like it! Thanks for the things you all have said for this story and I hope to write a lot more chapters! Thanks again!