• Published 20th Jun 2016
  • 566 Views, 16 Comments

Hard To Say Good Bye - BellChime



Pinkie Pie wishes Rainbow Dash would wake up.

  • ...
4
 16
 566

Chapter 5

The Next Day
Twilight had been reduced to looking through old Cloudsdale yearbooks. The instructors at Rainbow’s old flight school had been of barely any use. Most had arrived a few years after she’d left, and the older ones only had hazy memories of an older cream colored mare who brought Rainbow Dash to lessons. Twilight had found a few pictures of Rainbow, but none had any clues that might make her search easier.

Twilight sighed and was about to turn another page when she heard a very soft knock-knock on the door.

“Hello?” Fluttershy whispered softly. “Twilight, are you in?”

“Come in, Fluttershy.” Twilight called to her. “How are you? What’s the latest on Rainbow Dash?”

“Well, you see, that’s what I wanted to see you about,” Fluttershy whispered. “That is...if it’s not a bad time...see...Twilight...one of Rainbow Dash’s wounds is infected. They’re treating her with antibiotics, but they aren’t working as well as they’d like.”

Twilight dropped the yearbook. “Oh, Celestia,” She murmured. “Should I-” She glanced at the door.

“I think so.” Fluttershy whimpered.

Twilight nodded, gulped, and followed Fluttershy out the door.


“Well, she’s hanging in there.” Said Nurse Red Heart, when Fluttershy and Twilight arrived.
Twilight settled next to Pinkie. The earth pony’s mane was still flat, never a good sign. Twilight wondered if she’d left her position at all since arriving at the hospital.

“The one right there is what’s scaring us.” explained the nurse, indicating the bandaged area near Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “It developed very quickly and it’s being very stubborn.”

Twilight sighed. “Poor Rainbow Dash.”

“Indeed,” Agreed Nurse Red Heart. She lowered her voice. “How long are you going to keep her like this?”

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know.” She admitted. “I’m trying to find her family. It’s only fair that they should get a chance to say good bye, but at the same time I’m positive they wouldn’t want her to suffer...”

Pinkie sat bold upright. “Wait a second, what are you talking about?” She looked confused. “What do you mean, 'Goodbye' ?”

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat. “Pinkie,” She said gently, regaining her composure, “You’ve seen how Rainbow’s been going on a downhill slide, right?”

Pinkie looked to her right at the comatose mare. “Yes…” She said slowly.

“Well…” Twilight’s eyes darted to the ground before meeting Pinkie’s, “Um...I told you that there was a very slim chance of Rainbow making a come back, right?”

“Y-Yes,” Pinkie answered.

“Well…” Twilight said, “Pinkie...It’s been...it’s been a day or so, and, wh-what with the infection and all, that chance has become...slimmmer…”
Pinkie stared at her.

“So…” Twilight stumbled on. “We really shouldn’t...well...drag this out.”

Understanding flashed through Pinkie’s eyes, followed by horror and disbelief. “So you’re going to kill her?!” She hissed.

“No!” Twilight recoiled. “No! No! Oh, Celestia, no…Pinkie, you don’t understand, I’m just saying Rainbow’s too far gone.”

“You’ve given up on her.” Pinkie whispered, voice heavy with accusation.

“Pinkie, look,” Said Twilight desperately. “Nobody wants this. But this isn’t fair to Rainbow.”

I’m not being fair to Rainbow?!” Pinkie demanded. “What about you?! You’re the one who wants her to die!”

“What are you talking about?! I don’t want Rainbow to die!” Twilight shouted, growing angry. “Try to look at the bigger picture here!”

“What are you talking about?! At least I can see the possibility of Rainbow Dash being just fine! Right, Fluttershy?” Pinkie turned to Fluttershy, desperation creeping under her tone.

Fluttershy shrunk back. “W-Well,” she whispered, “It certainly would be nice if Rainbow got a second chance...r-right?”

“Yes!” Exclaimed Twilight. “Of course! But...I just don’t think that’s the way it’ll be.”

Pinkie glowered at her silently.

“Pinkie, you don’t understand-”

“I do too understand!” Pinkie insisted. “You don’t understand!” She told Twilight.

For a few seconds, the two mares glared at each other.

Twilight finally dropped her gaze and and rushed out of the room without a word.

Fluttershy looked at Pinkie Pie, then the door, then Twilight, then Rainbow Dash, then the door.

“Tell me if there’s any change.” She finally whispered. With that, she slowly backed out and away.