• Published 20th Jun 2016
  • 566 Views, 16 Comments

Hard To Say Good Bye - BellChime



Pinkie Pie wishes Rainbow Dash would wake up.

  • ...
4
 16
 566

Chapter 2

Pinkie and Twilight had barely talked since they got off the train. The normally energetic earth pony felt like her hooves were made of stone.
She followed Twilight to the hospital as if in a trance.

“We’re back!” Twilight said urgently to Nurse Red Heart as they arrived. “Has there been any change?”


“None whatsoever.” The white earth pony answered with a sigh. She yawned loudly. “Excuse me. The staff have had a rather busy shift, what with the tornado and all.”


Twilight’s hoof flew to her mouth. “Oh my goodness...I was so busy thinking about Rainbow Dash...I just…How is everypony else?”


Nurse Red Heart smiled weakly. “They’re mostly just tired and cold from spending the better part of the night on the town outskirts. A few cuts and bruises and such...one poor pony got a concussion, I believe…your friend truly got the worst of this…”

“Can we see her now?” Pinkie asked quietly.

“Of course.” Said Red Heart, leading them down the hospital corridor.


Pinkie grew more and more nervous by the second. Easy Pinkie, it’s just Rainbow Dash...She told herself repeated, but it was no comfort.

“Well, here we are.” Red Heart announced, intruding on Pinkie’s thoughts, slowly pushing the door open.

The room was quiet. Pinkie could see Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy surrounding a hospital bed. They all turned around to see her.


“I’m here!” Pinkie shouted. “I came as soon as Twilight..."

" 'Bout time, sugarcube." Said Applejack quietly, stepping back so Pinkie could get a better view of the hospital bed.

It was indeed Rainbow Dash, but not as Pinkie had remembered her. The pegasus was motionless on the hospital bed. Her body was covered with gauze patches covering cuts where the cyclone had ruthlessly battered her. A slash here, a bump there, what seemed to be a nasty gash on the head.

She made no sound, save for the long, labored breaths, amplified by an oxygen mask positioned over her face.

Pinkie was speechless. “I-I-” She whispered, stepping closer to her friend. “Rainbow...How long will it take? For her to wake up, I mean?” She asked desperately. “She can’t be like this forever...C-can she?”


Red Heart shot Twilight a helpless look.

“I tried to tell her on the train.” Twilight whispered.

The nurse pony sighed and turned to Pinkie.


Ms. Pie.” She said. “Rainbow Dash’s body took a lot of damage in the tornado. And when somepony takes that much trauma, And even if she does awaken, she may never be the same. Too much damage,” She repeated, staring at the ground. “Too much damage...”


“Everypony,” Fluttershy squeaked through tears streaming down her face, “There’s something I’d like to-”
Knock. Knock.

Red Heart went to open the door. “Who are you?” Pinkie heard her say.

“I’m sorry to bother you but I believe my sister Pinkie is in here.”


Pinkie turned around slowly. “Maud?”

“Never mind.” Said Fluttershy softly.

“I came as soon as I heard. I’m sorry about Rainbow Dash.” Maud said. “We were never good friends but she didn’t deserve something like this. I just wanted to send my sympathy. Are you alright, Pinkie?”


“Yes-” Pinkie began, but then- “No. No, Maud, I'm not.” The next thing she knew she was in her sister’s embrace, and the tears began to fall. She hated making a scene in front of her friends, but she couldn’t hold it in any longer.

Applejack mumbled something about needing to tend the orchards and left hastily.

Rarity turned to Pinkie. “Oh, dearest, this just-I-I-” She hung her head. “I honestly hope this all passes over quickly. That nurse-” Rarity checked the nurse, who was checking Rainbow’s heart monitor. “Such a pessimist.”

Pinkie looked up from Maud's hold. “Yeah. That nurse is such a frowney-wowney, I b-bet she wouldn’t know hope if it bit her in the flank.”


Twilight gave them both a sad look. “I think she knows what she’s doing, guys.”


“Cheer up, Twi. Rainbow’s real tough.” Pinkie said. “She’ll wake up. She has to. Right, Maud?”


“She seems badly hurt.” Said Maud, looking over Rainbow Dash. “I don’t know. My specialty is rocks, not injured ponies. Boulder sends his condolences.”


“But-But she’s alive, isn’t she?” Rarity asked, grasping at straws. “I mean, that’s what’s important, right?”


“I-I need to go, girls. I-I have something in my eye. And th-the animals, they’ll probably wondering where I am-if-if it’s OK. Isn’t it, girls?”

“Of course, Fluttershy,” Said Rarity. “I’d better be going myself, Sweetie Belle will be wondering why I haven’t met her at the boutique yet.”

“Does Sweetie know?” Twilight asked.

“No,” Rarity said swiftly as she hurried out the door.

“I’m going to keep trying to get in touch with Rainbow Dash’s family.” Twilight announced, exiting as well.

“I have about an hour. They gave me some time to leave but then I need to get back to do make up work. I’ll be right outside if you need me.” Said Maud, quietly stepping out the door, leaving Pinkie alone with her sleeping friend.