• Published 19th May 2016
  • 4,799 Views, 126 Comments

Dragon Quarry - Mimkage



While visiting the Crystal Empire with Twilight, Spike finds an item that'll prompt him onto an adventure that'll unveil a simple question. "Where am I from?"

  • ...
8
 126
 4,799

Ch:7 Punchin

“An entire village just sitting a few hundred feet away from the empire, who would have guessed it!” Starburst looked at the structures with a magnified glass, geeking out about this new information at hoof. Shining and Twilight stayed a good distance behind with Shining eyeing the pulsing, black crystals dotting the area.

“Twilight, it doesn’t look like anyone’s been here. In fact, looks like nothing has lived here for years. Why do you think Spike would’ve even passed through here?” he asked, seeing a focused and intense look on his sister’s face.

“I just know he did. Spike just so happens to spot a strange, cloaked out in the snow the same day he finds out this place might exists and then follows that stranger out into the snow? That can’t be a coincidence, Shining! Spike HAS to be somewhere around here, he just HAS to.” He could hear it, the concern in her voice as she scanned the area for any clues.

“B-but Princes, this place is huge. Where do we start?” Asked Starburst, trotting back to the group. Twilight points off to the distance in the direction of the large building she saw before placed in the center of the Dragon Quarry.

“We should start there. That building looks important; maybe it’ll have some clues.” Shining nods, going on ahead to look for danger only to trip over a small black crystal poking from the ground.

“Ow! Stupid things…. What are those? They’re everywhere!” He stood, dusting himself off as Starburst took a closer look at the crystals with his magnified glass.

“They look to be magically erected, not at all natural.” He said, touching the crystal with his hoof. “I think they might be made of dark magic.”

“If they are then that’s more reason to find Spike as soon as we can!” Twilight said, looking at they crystals with a concerned look, “Those look so familiar… I don’t like it.”

Unknown to them Spike was nearby, right under their hooves, staring at a giant red, fierce dragon by the name of Sard. He could only stare at him with eyes of shock as the beast approached the teenaged dragons; they bowing to their majesty. He looked down at them and then spoke in a voice so powerful it made the crystal they sat in vibrate.

“My beloved subjects, how it brings me joy to see all here to witness these tyke’s journey from fledgling-hood to Dragonhood. May we all rejoice in their growth and progress!” the other dragons roared, showing they too were happy to be a part of this tradition. Emperor Sard’s noise flared, smelling something he seemed not to like as he looked around the area.

“J-join me now, bow to me my fledglings and accept the bright future that awaits you as I burn away the obstacles in your way. Remember, my fledglings, today may mark your passage into adulthood but never forget the prized times of your youth for they will be your fangs against the troublesome foe of life! Bow to me now, young ones!” The teenagers bow down, lowering their heads in respect. Suddenly, Sard released a powerful fire blast that engulfed all of them in flames. Spike stared, the heat making him sweat as if felt like the sun was in front of him. Splinter watched, seemly very excited but Spike only watched in fear.

The teenagers glowed, raising their heads up to their leader as some of their forms began to change. Some became slightly lengthier and others bulkier, their bodies developing slightly. Once the flames stop the looked up proudly at their king, new small changes made to them. Spike was still afraid but he noticed a look of pride in Sard’s face, gazing down at the dragons before him.

“Congratulations my subjects you may now take your place among the adults whom raised you! Roar for me, my subjects, show me the strength of your hearts!” The teenaged dragons roared, having much more strength to it than before. As they stop Sard nods, smiling at them. This seemed to install happiness in the teenagers, as they look at each other wit bright eyes.

“Now, bring to me the Whelps. It is their time to take your places as Fledglings. My fellow dragons, join your elders!” With that the baby dragons stood around Spike, prompting him to scramble up to his feet. Splinter glared at Spike, growling as the teenagers run back to the adults to sit with them.

“Spike, seriously. It’s not funny. Fa-… Emperor Sard doesn’t like it when you mess around during ceremonies!” He whispered yelled as he starts to walk towards the stage. Spike mumbled a quite ‘sorry’ and followed. Again, Sard’s nose flared as the smell assaulted his nose again. It made him growl a bit as he looked down at the baby dragons approaching him.

“Cease, my children! Stay where you are!” All the baby dragons stop in their tracks, looking at each other confused. The adults whispered, concerned, as Sard lowered his head down to the babies. Spike shivered, staring up at him as his eyes scanned the children.

Suddenly, his eyes locked on Spike, his growling growing louder.

“You! You are not one of my children! How dare you intrude on this ceremony!” Instantly, Splinter stood in front of Spike to protect him but also shivering.

“F-father please! Spike meant no disrespect! He was just playing around!” Sard growled more, moving closer to the two. His head was so large Spike could fit in Sard’s Nostril and still have stretch room. He was petrified with fear, staring up at the enraged dragon.

“Hey gramps, give him a break. Poor kid looks like he’s about to pee himself.” Everyone looked back at the stage, the pink dragon from before. She had a decorative robe on, her tail swaying side to side as she walks to the edge of the pedestal jumps down from it.

“Punchin! What did I tell you about referring to me as ‘gramps’ during a ceremony!” She just waved his angry comment off, going towards Spike. Splinter looked up at her, bowing a bit.

“It’s cool Splint, I got this.” She stood in front of Spike, standing between him and Sard.

“What is the meaning of this?! Who is that and why does he have the horrible stench of ponies!?” Punchin pats Sard’s nose, trying to calm him down.

“Just chill, gramps. Finish your little ceremony and I’ll explain everything okay later? I have my reasons so I’d prefer it if you didn’t crush him into a bloody pancake.” Sard growled a bit more, glaring at Spike before lifting his head up.

“Fine. You’d better have a very good reason for him Punchin. Take him back to my chambers and get him a bath. His stench insults me.” Punchin nods, seemly pleased with what he said.

“Aye aye Gramps.” She looks down at Spike, seeing him still shaking in his scales. “Come on pony pet.”

She walks off, heading back towards the pedestal. Spike lingered for a second, looking up as Sard who still looked like he was about to maul him, before running off after Punchin.

“W-wait for me!”

As they dip behind the curtains Spike looks back at the crowd, seeing every dragon staring at him with a look of fear and uncertainty. It made him feel a pit of guilt inside as he dipped behind the curtain after Punchin. He followed her through the emerald hallways, looking down at the smooth, stone floors in deep thought. Punchin looked back at him, sighing as she opened a small door that was attached to a much larger door.

“What’s wrong kid?” She asked as she walked in with Spike behind her.

“Well.. for starters I thought… he was going to eat me.” Hearing that made her burst out into laughter as she tossed her robe aside.

“Eat you? Please, you’re so small it wouldn’t even be worth his time. No, he’s harmless. The guy may look like the most terrifying beast this side of the continent but he’s just a big cinnamon bun.” She smacks her tail against the wall, making a waterfall open up and pour into a large, pond sized bath.

“But you’d better jump in and scrub those scales. Gramps hates the smell of ponies.” She said, tossing in some soap into the water to make it bubbly. Spike did as he was told, lowering into the bath.

“He’s not actually your grandpa is he?” He asks as he scrapes his scales with a rough stone that was on the side of tub.

“Na, I just call him that.” She took a bite of a ruby that laid in a bowl nearby, sitting on a pedestal. As she did there was a loud ‘thud’ coming from the hallway.

“Speaking of which, looks like he cut the ceremony early. Better scrub fast kid.”

With that Spike scrubbed harder and faster, making more and more bubbles flow into the bath as he bathed for his little life.

-----------------------------------
Hey, sorry for the late update, life and junk. To make it up to you tomorrow I will post two more chapters~ yay

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking so long, to make it up to you the next two chapters will be released tomorrow~