• Published 19th May 2016
  • 4,799 Views, 126 Comments

Dragon Quarry - Mimkage



While visiting the Crystal Empire with Twilight, Spike finds an item that'll prompt him onto an adventure that'll unveil a simple question. "Where am I from?"

  • ...
8
 126
 4,799

Ch 14 Eternal Friend

Using her enormous strength Crush pushed a giant boulder out of the way. It laid just behind the giant green crystals the other dragons were currently gathered in, concealing a tunnel beneath it. Spike looked down it, staring into the inky blackness below.

“Umm… That’s really dark…” He said, squinting his eyes to try and see what was in there.

“This tunnel’s been sealed off for many years. Very few dragons go in here as there is no reason for most to but down there might be the answers you’re looking for.” said Crush, Splinter sitting on her back with a curious look. “Shall we?”

Spike nodded, allowing Crush to pick him up and place him on her back next to splinter as she created a small fireball in her mouth, illuminating the way with the light coming from her mouth.

The tunnel went down a long way, seemly not being acess for a long time as moss and mushrooms dotted the walls of the tunnel and the floor. Thankfully Crush had a hard grip on the ground, preventing slipping. Soon, Spike noticed another light at the end of the tunnel, it seemed to open up to a large room. As they approached Crush extinguished the fireball, allowing the gemlight to light their way. As they entered the large cavern Spike’s eyes widened in amazement.

Five, different colored crystals magically float upon magical pedestals, each one accompanied by a painting of the past. All except two pedestals that held no crystal nor picture. The light in the room seemed to come from the pedestal, clearly each crystal they held were special.

“They’re just a bunch of gems and pictures.” Said Spike, glancing over the room to see there wasn’t much else.

“Oh no, these are not just any gems. Each one holds a moment in time, moments important to the history of Mother. The Remembrance records all, just choose one and see for yourself.” Explained Crush, laying down so Spike can slip off her easier.

He looked around, examining each crystal until the painting behind them attracted his attention. One had Jade and a pony holding up the crystal heart so he chose the crystal in front of that first. Gently he touches it, causing it to flare up it’s magic. The entire room was filled with light ,only to have the light fade into a memory from the past. He panicked at first, falling back in surprise as a pony appeared right where he stood but Crush caught him, reassuring him

There stood Jade, her head held high and clearly younger as she stood before a small group of Crystal ponies.

“Miss Jade, we owe you a lot. If it were not for you and your dragons the we would not be here” Said one of the ponies, equally as regal.

“That, believe it or not, was first Queen of the Crystal empire. Jade found and saved her small group of nomad ponies by providing them shelter from the storm. In return they used their magic to help find gemstones for us and we developed a tightly knitted relationship” Explained Crush, making Spike smile, clearly impressed.

“Oh no, think nothing of it friends. You have been of great help to my dragons. I hope the best for you in your future endeavors. We are always here if you are in need of us. Oh! And please, accept this gift as one leader to another.” One of Jade's guard, taking her que, presented the ponies with a very familiar, heart shaped crystal. Their leader levitated the heart in the air with her magic, she and her ponies staring at it in awe.

“J-jade! This is a solid, clear Taaffeite heart! Are you sure you want to give us such a rare gemstone?” Asked the leader of the crystal ponies, earning simply a smile back from Jade.

“Think of it as a token of our eternal friendship. May our friendship be more valued than any gemstone.” Jade walked down to the small group, extending her claw out to them. Her eyes sparkled like the heart, her gratitude clear upon her face. She reached out to shake Jade’s claws, the moment they touched a powerful light flooded from the bodies of the crystal ponies and from Jade and her dragons. The Crystal Heart spun around in the leader pony’s magic, soaking up that light and burst it out around them. The memory ended there, the magic of the crystal subduing until it returned back to the way it was before.

“W-wow… that was so cool!” Exclaimed Spike, a smile on his face.

“With the crystal heart the empire was built. The crystal ponies and earth dragons, while now distant, still had a close relationship.” Crush explained, pointing to a painting with Princess Celestia in it. “And had a close relationship with the royals.”

Seeing it instantly perked Spike’s attention as he ran over to the crystal in front of the painting, poking it.

The crystal flared, Jade stood nearby, holding a cake in her hands, watching as Celestia and Luna stood on a large pedestal. Between them stood Star Swirl the Bearded, two crowns floating above both the Princess’s heads. Well, the soon to be princess that is. This seemed to be their correlation, standing proud before a large crowd of ponies cheering for their soon to be rulers.

“Celestia, Luna, between the two of you the monstrous fiend Discord has been defeated and for that the ponies and other residents of Equestria owe you deeply. For your bravery it has been decided by I and the other pony tribes, that you two for now on will be crowned the Princess of Equestria. We shall look to you for guidance, we will look to you for strength!” Coming to the end of his speech, Star swirl lowered the two crowns to the sister’s heads. As he did he bowed slightly to the rest of the crowd did the same. The two princesses held their heads up high, looking with pride but on closer inspection Spike noticed Celestia smiling at Jade. Jade smiled back, smirking sneakily as she blew a light flame over the cake.

As StarSwirl lifted his head back up the cake fell straight on him, splattering cream and apple filling everywhere. Celestia snorted, then burst out laughing along with Jade followed by the crowd of ponies gathered around. Luna to giggled but tried to muffle it out of respect.

Jade made her way over to the three, a grumpy expression on Star Swirl’s face. She and Celestia gave each other a high five, still giggling. He sighs, brushing the cake frosting off his face with his hoof and gave it a taste.

“Mmm, apple, not bad.” He let off a soft chuckle, using his magic to clean himself off. The memory ended there, the magic of the crystal pittering out until it was back to normal but there was still a bit of laughter.

Spike and Splinter still giggled, the two trying to compose themselves.

“Man, I’ve never seen Celestia laugh like that. Those two were really close.” Said Spike, finally managing to stop his laughing.

“Indeed they were.” Added Crush, “Watching these memories, it’s clear that the two were very close. All of them were, Celestia, Luna, Amore and Jade. How they laughed, how they prospered. Most of these are moments Jade recorded as her most precious, moments with them.”

Spike looked up at Crush, noticing her expression of deep thought.

“That’s why I could never believe Sard, believe all ponies are indeed as bad as he says. All this, their friendship, everything Jade adored, this is real. There must be a reason for all that happened.” She continued, looking down at Spike who nodded in agreement.

“That’s right! Celestia must have her reasons.” Spike stood, his face becoming stern and determined. “I have to go back, I have to find out the truth!”

“Mommy, why are some the crystals missing?” Asked Splinter, pointing at the pedestals in the room without crystals.

“Well, one is still up on the surface. Sard left it up there, to grief stricken to bring it down here and the other.” Crush thought, “I don’t really know. It vanished around the same time as Jade’s fall according to Sard. No one knows where it is now.”

Crush stood, grabbing Spike from the tail and placing him on her back.

“We should go, I’d imagine the morning meeting is about done. Not a good idea to stick around in here much longer.” She said, carrying the two off back through the tunnel.

Meanwhile, back on the surface, as all the ponies searched for an access point to the underground Celestia sat before Jade, encrusted in her black, cold, crystal prison. She sobbed silently to herself, placing her head on Jade’s as she did with her hoof placed against the purple gem embedded in her neck piece.

“I’m so sorry, my friend. I’m so, so sorry….”

Author's Note:

Two chapters today, just to give ya guys a nice little welcome back :P