• Published 17th May 2016
  • 2,910 Views, 75 Comments

The Raiders and The Princess - FIRE FLASH 3



Twilight Sparkle, finds herself lost in an unknown Jungle because of a failed experiment and an ancient Evil that time forgot. She will now need to find a way to return home and fight for the freedom of Equus, with a little help of course.

  • ...
14
 75
 2,910

Chapter XIII: Stories

Author's Note:

I'm terribly sorry about the tardiness of this chapter. As of late I have been really busy with writing my new Star Trek series and my end of year film at school. This chapter is still rather short despite the long pause, but I hope to get going again. :twilightsmile:

Chapter XIII

'This better not become a common thing'


I pretty sure that no one could ever say that they've travelled by portal magic. Well, let me tell you, it certainly wasn't the most pleasant thing I've experienced during my time in the service.


I'm kinda gettin' the feeling that I was lied to when I enlisted... The sergeant told me that it was nothing more than adventure and action. There was nothing about getting thrown around in someone else's mind! Opening my eyes rather carefully, my vision was assaulted by a rising sun, shinning through the open flaps of the Post OP. Squinting slightly, I lifted my head from my arms until I was upright. Tearing my gaze from the near blinding light, my gaze fell upon Twilight. Violet eyes stared into mine for the longest of moments.



As we continued to stare at each other, I suddenly became aware of us both holding hands. Her small hands were set inside my grasp. Looking down, she blushed slightly before looking back up at me. No words were said for those first few minutes, well... not until her eyes drifted onto the rest of my body.


For a princess, there was no gasp of shock or a scream of terror like in all those fairy tales. No she only starred intensely at the blood before tearing her gaze back to me.


“Is that Tomy's?” She asked, her voice never faltering. Looking down at my bloody shirt, I reached a hand up and began my right hand across it.


“I don't know...” I whispered, looking back up into her deep violet eyes. “I don't know...” I repeated louder. Looking back at it, I'd killed so many people last night, I didn't know what was what.



Nothing more was said after that... well... not until Twilight nudged me with her hand. When I looked at her, she was smiling! A nice, sweet, kind and caring smile. Anyone could see the sadness behind it, but just by looking at her, I could tell what her unspoken words were trying to say.


Looking up at the clock on the wall, I decided that now would be a good time to check on the rest of the guys. Sure, in my heart I wanted to stay with Twilight and never leave her side, but sadly, as a commander I have a report to hand in.

Leaning down, I whispered into Twilight's ear what I had to do. Though she was reluctant, she finally let go of my arm. Standing up I walked towards the door, looking back over my shoulder, I watched sadly as Twilight waved at me, lifting a hand, I waved back before taking my first steps out into the morning air.



I'd only made it a few steps before I stopped, lifting my head and closing my eyes, I took in ragged breaths. I was trying desperately to hold back tears. Everyone knows that if you allow your emotions to get control, then your moral sanity and innocence would be erased.

Sadly, I think that mine have already gone.




I couldn't find anyone of my platoon nor that of my company. With no where else to go, I wondered off back towards the CP. If I were lucky, Lieutenant Stone would be there... as usual.


Approaching the Command Post, I noticed that the flaps were open and already I could see Stone and the colonel talking near a large table, both pointing at something on it, occasionally. Entering the tent, I cleared my throat to get their attention.


Turning slowly, they both gave me weary looks. They said something to but I was too shocked. Unlike what I was used to, unlike how I usually see them both were filthy dirty. The colonel seemed to have been absolutely soaked in blood then covered in ash. Lieutenant Stone was also covered in blood... his blond hair turned crimson red from human life source.


“Yes sergeant?” The colonel asked.


“S-sorry sir...” I began, never leaving eye contact. “I-I came to give in a status report, sir.”


“Alright, let it be good news.” He said, his voice hinting that bad news was the only thing he'd heard since this morning. He turned back towards a map situated on the table, staring at it intently, while Stone sat down on a barrel in the far corner of the room.



“Tomy's dead.”




Those two words seemed to echo around the room, hanging in the air as the both the colonel and the lieutenant's head seemed to drop down solemnly. The colonel bumping his fist down against the table in 'held within anger'.


“Damn.” Came the lieutenants reply. The colonel on the other hand was still looking down at the table, and during the entire conversation, he never moved.


“And what is your combat efficiency?” He asked. This wasn't what I was expecting from him. I was expecting a 'I'm sorry, I know he was a good friend' kindda stuff, but instead, just like me, he jumps directly to the combat efficiency of the group.


“I-” I stopped, remembering what happened last night between me and my friends. Taking in a deep breath, I continued. “I don't know sir... We were a ten man squad and I'm now down to four.”


“Don't you mean three?” asked Stone.


“Four.” I answered, never faltering my gaze. “Twilight's part of the team too.” I pointed out, a small amount of pride building up within me whenever I thought of Twilight. Turning my attention back to the Colonel, I continued my answer. “Though I would hate to admit it sir, I think we've reached the end of our limit. I would like permission to disband 2nd squad to join other squads, sir!” I said, standing at attention.


I knew exactly what I was doing. I knew that if we were disbanded, then Twilight wouldn't be able to stay with us. But I knew within me that there was nothing I could do for her now, especially with so few resources. I might have been breaking the promise that I told Twilight about last night, but in the end, I'd come to this conclusion way before Tomy's death. And though it broke my heart to have to say that, I knew that it would be the right thing to do. All I waited for now was the Colonel permission.









“Denied”





My eyes flew open and I inhaled sharply, the colonel was staring at me with his arms folded. Stepping towards me, he reached out and placed reassuring hand on my left shoulder. He gave me what seemed like a genuine smile.


“Denied sergeant, I know all about your squads little family bond, and I know that sergeant Kramer wouldn't be pleased if he finds out that you broke your promise. Or that the promises that you made to all your team mates.” He said, never breaking eye contact with me. “Also, I would normally disband you if it were possible, sadly I have no reinforcements to give to you or relieve you. Disbanding you is out of the question since you are such an effective team! I can't go breaking you up when you're so good at what you do.”


“What team?!” I scoffed.


“Just go with it, sergeant. I might have some news for you tomorrow. For now, let's rest up. You can spend the day with your girlfriend if you like. Just make sure that you stay together, cause no hardship should break a team spirit.”

'What is this?! Since when did the Colonel start to talk like Twilight?'



“She's not my--” I began, before being cut off by a slap on the back of the head. Looking at Sanders in shock, I saw that he was sporting a cocky and yet, sad smile.


“Just... get some rest, sergeant. I don't know if you know where Tom's body is. But I think a decent burial would be a nice way to respect his passing, wouldn't you agree?” He said, cocking an eye brow at the last part.


“How the hell am I suppose to give him a decent burial in this... in this Hell hole!” I asked, well, more like demanded. “Sir.”


“Improvise” I was about to retort, but Sanders beat me too it. “ And what do you mean 'I', where's Mark and Jack?” He asked, this was something to try and forget about.


“We... had a little falling out, sir.” I replied. “That's why I was asking for reassignment within another squad. Sir.”


“Then you better get out there and find them. Do something that will bring back your old team spirit!” Colonel Sanders suggested, giving me a somewhat surprised look.


“I can't see burying Tomy will bring the old team back together.” Grumbling I looked back at Sanders. He on the other hand, only gave me another sad smile before turning back towards his desk. Thinking that the conversation was over, I turned and made my way towards the Exit.




“How... should a man die better, than facing fearful odds...” He trailed off, Me... stopped in my tracks but those words, a tremble ran through me. Moving slowly, I exited the CP and made my way into Hell.

XXXXXXXXX

I searched high and low for my two best friends. I searched the shelter. I searched the Mess Hall. I searched the supply store. I even searched the damn latrines! Yet... no sign.


This sort of thing usually happened whenever someone close to us died. We would simply run away, or at least try and run away from the terrors of the world. Maybe that's what I did last night... Maybe I tried to escape my fate by letting it fall into the hands of others.


Even though, I knew that if they didn't want to be found, then I should wait for them to make themselves known. I began heading back towards the MASH before something crossed my mind. Turning around I ran back towards the shelter. Upon entering, I began rummaging through my foot locker, I finally found what I was looking for.

As I made my way to exit my home, small rain drops began to fall on my head. Looking up, dark clouds had gathered overhead. I was about to go back in to grab my rain coat, when I suddenly remembered: 'Twilight's got my rain coat'.


Though it was only spittle, I hurried back to the MASH only to find Twilight, out of bed, and sitting next to a man on the left of her bed, rain coat still on. The doctor and medics were standing around them, leaving a few meters distance as Twilight kept talking to this young man.


Approaching, McCarter turned his head to me, a sad look on his face.


“What's going on?” I whispered as Twilight continued to talk to the unresponsive man who had a large bandage around his head.


“She's ah... she's telling him about her adventures of her Utopia like world.” He answered, returning his gaze back towards the two patients. I didn't say anything else, I just watched and listened as Twilight explained everything about her world just like she had told me. I wasn't worried, even after what her friend had said last night, I knew that only few would ever believe her.


Tearing my gaze from the two, my eyes wandered over the medics that were surrounding them. All had sad looks on their faces, all seemed to be at a loss of sorrow. It was only as McCarter continued to explain that I finally caught on to their sorrow.


“We don't know his name. The guys who brought him in found no dog tags. Removing the bandages from his head we were about to operate when...” He trailed off, a sob catching up in his throat. I turned my gaze towards him, raising a brow. “... when a problem arose. His head wounds were severe, and in this case, irreparable. That guy over there--” Shifting his head towards a pilot, in the same condition. “He came in with a massive hole in his abdominal region. He needed a transplant, to survive, but we needed a volunteer...” He trailed off again, bringing my attention back to the man in front of me.







“He's brain dead...” He croaked, his throat dry and rusty. “His heart is still beating but without a reason. He's a dead man with a beating heart... The choice was simple.” He continued. “We now have to wait for him to die.” He said, solemnly. Twilight never faltering in her story even when McCarter spoke up.




“We brought him out here, but your girlfriend soon caught on. She accused us of murder. We explained to her that he was already dead and that it was only a matter of time before the man's heart figured it out too.” He started again, his eyes never leaving his dying patient.









“But she had already understood that.”




“She said that we were murdering him if we were to let him die alone.” I could see the tears welling up in his eyes, a look of failure within. “She told us that a passing soul should always be accompanied by someone. That we should stay with him, care for him until the end.” Straight river trails running down his cheeks, I finally understood what had gotten to him.



Failure... Failure to rest a passing soul into the heavens. Just like with Tomy.





Pushing my way past the medical orderlies, I knelt down beside Twilight. She paused as she watched me kneel down before picking back up on her story.

“... and the Foal Mountains! Ponies said that foals inhabited those mountains, and only foals. Adults weren't allowed. And then there's the fields! Long, endless, green fields! Full of happiness and laughter. You could walk them for days! It's like a desert of beautiful green fields, and when you got to the third day, you could see in Celestia's setting sun, just over the horizon. There stood Ponyville! And beyond that the mountain of Solitude, and rested near its summit, the Capital: Canterlot. A city of pure white marble and...”


Her voice turned to whispers as I closed my eyes and began to dream of Equestria! The land that I have already visited in Twilight's head. My train of thought was broken when Twilight let out a small chuckle.


“... The streets are flanked by white houses and shops and stores and cafés, oh it's wonderful...” She trailed off, her gaze returning from the ceiling back to the young man. Her smile faltered slightly, but never faded. A look of recognition was dawning on her.





I could see it in her eyes.




McCarter bent down on the other side of the bed, lifted his stethoscope to the man's chest before giving a sad tearful nod.

“His gone.” The only words he said, before getting up and returning to his original spot.


Twilight gave a sad sniff, a chocked sob before resting her head against the man's chest. After a few moments, she lifted her head and concluded her tale.




“May your dreams be peaceful. And may those green fields, those golden stone paths, those winding rivers lead you to the life you never got to live.”














I placed my hand on her shoulder as I stood up. Hoping to console her. I was therefore shocked when she stood up and gave me a sad smile.


“You alright?” I asked, wondering if it might have been shock. I was then baffled when she nodded her head to respond.


“Yes... Yes I think so.” She said, watching as the medics carried the life saving corpse back into OP. “I don't think that I should feel sad for something as natural as Death.”


“But it wasn't a natural death, Twilight! He was killed by another man!”


“I never said 'natural death'” She replied, moving back to her bed.



She was right! I've been thinking that being killed by another human isn't a natural death! And its true, but Twilight didn't mean that. She felt that Death was natural, not the form, not the how or the why, but the passing itself.





Watching her lie back down on her bunk, I made my way to her side, took a stool of some kind and sat down. Twilight never took her eyes off of me, she just laid there... watching me. Leaning backwards, I reached into my inner right pocket of my combat jacket. Through the note books and pencils, I finally pulled out what I was looking for.

When Twilight saw what was in my hand, she immediately sat up, a look of amazement on her face. Leaning forward, I placed the book on the bed.


“Is that...” Twilight began, before trailing off when she finally saw the look on my face.


“It's one of my favourite books... one that me and my brother enjoyed reading a lot. This one he bought me before my deployment...” Memories of that day came rushing back to me. The platform, the mass of troops standing there, waiting to board. White steam from the locomotive and the teary eyed faces of my family, hugging me. My brother stepped forward and gave me the book, wished me the best of luck, and just like that I was back here.


Though my journey didn't start there! Oh no... My journey started like everyone else's, at Pearl Harbor. I was there, on station as an observer.


“He... He's routing up for the Air corps, at least... that's the last I heard...”


“I'm sure he's alright Lou, like you said, there's no magic here so you can't send or receive messages almost instantaneously like we ponies do.” She said, resting a reassuring hand on my shoulder. A kind smile morphing her features. I could only respond in kind.




This is starting to sound awfully like a bad romance novel, or film.



“Anyway---” I began, taking in a deep breath and putting on a somewhat real smile on my face. “I've spoken to the Colonel, I've been given a day off. Soooo...” I trailed off, a slight blush on my face as I thought about what I was going to say. But I didn't need to finish my sentence cause Twilight decided to play off a bit.


“You wanted to spend the day with me.” She interjected, and in a way, she was right. Something told me that she could read me as easily as I could read a book.


“As long as you don't mind, I kinda wanted to make sure you got the rest you needed, especially after last night.” I explained, but Twilight didn't seem to be bothered.


“I don't mind in fact, I can't wait to go back there tonight, I'm sure we and the Doctor can discuss about a plan of escape to get back to Equestria!” She exclaimed, almost yelling.


“Oh... it wasn't exactly a pleasant feeling being pulled into your head like that.”


“Well, I'll go alone and when I wake up, I'll tell you all about okay?” She asked. I nodded, and left the conversation there.


Turning my attention back to the book, I smiled at Twilight and opened to the first page and began the story to its famous words: “No man would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that Human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinised as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely they drew their plans against us.”

XXXXXXXXX

I don't know how long I'd been reading... must have been more than a three hours. What started off as a quiet reading with Twilight, soon became a group thing! By the time I decided to end the story, the whole of Post-OP had joined in, either standing or lying down, everyone had been ensnared by the story.

As I was reading, Mark and Jack dropped in. I stood up immediately, an eerie silence fell over the room. I was about to speak, but they both beat me to it.


“We know Lou.” Jack said.


“Lets just get over it, okay?” Mark explained, my mouth was somewhat hanging open at what I was hearing. “Forgive and... not forget?” He asked, both of 'em had their hands outstretched towards me. Slowly, I reached out... and we shook hands. Tearful smiles were exchanged before they suggested that I continue with the story.


When I finally reached the 'Spirit of Man' I decided to hold off any more reading. Though most gave grunts of displeasure, all slowly but surely, returned to their bunks to rest. Putting the book away in my pack, my two friends sat down around Twilight.


“So... How are you feeling Sparky?” Asked Jack.


“Alright, just a slight headache but I should be fine.” She replied with a small smile.


“Where have you been this past morning?” I asked, wanting an answer clear and precise. They both dropped their gazes to the ground.


“We ahh... We went find Tomy...” Mark replied, I was about to ask something else but Mark hadn't quite finished. “We took him to the padre, asked him when the next burial service would take place... He said this afternoon as long as the Japs don't try and strafe us again.”


“And? Are we gonna do it or is the place full...”


“The padre said yes, but he said that he can't be there to do everyone, soo...” Jack trailed off, head slunk forward.


“Well... Its early afternoon.” I commented, consulting my watch at the same time. “Do you guys want to do this now?”


“I'd rather... When we found him... I... I never thought it was possible to...” He trailed off, no eye contact was made at any moment. I looked at both of them before placing my hands on my knees and forced myself up. Nodding to both of them, we were about to leave when something soft and warm latched itself to my hand. Twilight was looking at us with a pleading look.


Normally, most people would try and explain what that look was. To open up a conversation and try and make that look justified. Sadly... in the real world, there are no words to say. When you see that look and you are conscious of what you've been talking about. No one in their right mind would ask why someone was giving them that look.


I turned to Jack, he who only nodded without saying a single word. He walked back over to Twilight and grasped her in his arms jolting her upper body up and down a bit to get her wings in a comfortable position under her rain coat before taking her outside into the sunlight.




What most people would have trouble understanding is that there were no words exchanged between any of us during that entire sequence. Its a kind of disturbing feeling that you sometimes get when you're watching a motion picture. Something that makes you want to go on until the end. Like something happening outside the screen that sounds really important and you hope that you'll see before the end of the film.


We all left together... the whole squad back together for the short amount of time that remained. The cemetery was on the outskirts of the camp. The road ahead was covered in a mist of drizzling rain, though it began to lift by the time we entered the cross filled field by the sea.


Me and Mark carried Tomy over to a quiet spot on the field. Twilight and jack stayed to the side to keep Twilight from getting even a glimpse of the inhuman remains of one of her newest friends.


We dug... We didn't stop for a single moment, the sun was heading for a setting phase as we finally finished. Covering the last of his tomb, we all gathered around the pile of sand, all of us standing up straight.


Removing our helmets, we pressed them against our chests and stood there for a minute of silence. As it passed, we each said our farewells before a final salute to which I concluded Sander's sentence.

“ How... could a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers... and the temples of his gods.”

XXXXXXXXX

Upon returning to camp, I told Mark and Jack to take twilight back to our shelter while I go get our orders for the following morning. The camp was, as usual, immersed in complete darkness. I knew that the OP tent was gonna be empty. Staff normally clear out around 1945hrs. So I made my way to what is known as Shelter 001, inside Sanders was working with a few others on what looked like photographs.


The colonel greeted me and brought me over to the table. He then ordered everyone in the room to close all open slits. Blankets and covers were pulled over every opening. Two lanterns were then light on the ceiling, and allowed me to see what was on the photographs.


“How was your day off?” Sanders asked from beside me.


“Useful... The guys needed a small rest.” I replied, still looking at the photos. These black and white images seemed to show a the jungle around us with a few clear patches here and there.


“Well I'm sorry it couldn't be any longer but I... I need your team on a new mission.” He said, placing both hands on the table and then leaning forward. “You remember your mission from two weeks ago right? The one where you found her.”


“Yeah errr... Hoshinita?” I asked, he nodded. “ I thought someone else was taking them on.”


“Not possible I'm afraid, all other raider teams are on active duty with other missions. Hoshinita was left specifically for you.” He replied, pulling some pictures towards me.


“Why us, sir?”


“Because your team are weapons experts in high explosives on Makin. I needed someone with the same skills.” He said, giving me a half hearted smile. “Here are your orders Sargent. These clear patches are what we believe to be air defence batteries protecting Hoshinita's position.” He traced the areas with his index finger. “ Your job, is to destroy these batteries so that bombers from the naval strike group can blast it to Kingdom Come. And you...” He continued, turning to look at me. “ You get the hell outta dodge.”


“What's our time window here sir?” Sanders turned away from me and stared intently at the maps and photographs on the table.


“Five days” He said, raising a hand quickly when I was about to protest. “And I have a reason for that Sargent.” He continued. “As I was saying, there is a naval strike group approaching, bringing reinforcements and supplies. You have five days to reach and destroy those AA batteries before the sixth day where the strike group's bombers will attack.”


“Well it isn't much time but we'll get the job done, sir.” I replied, standing to attention before saluting and turning around to leave.





“There's something else...” He trailed off. “I've spoken to command about your latest squad mate. They weren't happy.” At this point a sinking feeling began to make its way to my stomach. “They told about all the political complications, public reaction and all that. They said that if the press were to find out about her, there could be mass riots. The American people would be outraged to hear of a girl on a battle field. The people will lose all faith in the Army and Marine Corps and will no longer support our actions in the war.”


That sinking feeling sure was setting in, and I still wasn't preparing myself for what he was about to say.


“Can you imagine what it would be like if the entire country stopped supporting us during our fight here, moral would plummet. We would be forced to make peace with the Japanese and the Germans. We would lose our very first large scale war. And all that because of a girl with no clear memory of where she came from and how she got here.” Silence filled the now empty room, only me and the colonel were standing there.





“What am I to do.” A feeling of realisation dawning on me. He wanted me to...




“Kill her. Bury her. And make sure no one can ever find her.”

XXXXXXXXX

I ran into the shelter, Mark and Jack both jumped and grabbed their weapons, but I wasn't focused on them. Twilight, who was sat in the far corner with her rain coat off but her wings tense as if trying to hide behind her back.


I fell right in front of her clawing at her jacket.


“Lou what the Hell is going on?” Jack hissed as they both, somewhat, lowered their weapons.


“No time.” I told them, never taking my eyes from Twilight. She looked rather nervous, maybe because I was holding her rather tightly! No! I wasn't holding her! I was hugging her, what had just transpired made me feel insecure. They told me to kill Twilight! How could they! After all that she has done for us and more! She had shown me more kindness than anyone I'd ever met before! She opened my eyes... Our eyes to the true nature of our existence and proved to me that there were things worth dying for! Damn it they knew that their teasing would get to me. They knew that I would fall... that I... I would...







That I would fall in love with her...










Yes, I do love her. So very much.



“Twilight I need you to do that magic mind link thing again, now!”


“What?! I thought tha--” I cut her off.


“Twilight!” I pleaded her. Mark and Jack were rather disturbed and confused.


“Lou what are you talking about?” Jack asked. I didn't answer, my mind was fixed on only one thing right now! I needed to talk to Twilight's pony friend. If I was to get Twilight out of here alive, I will need outside help.