• Published 4th May 2016
  • 1,592 Views, 33 Comments

Knights of Harmony, Episode I: Rise of the Elements - bahatumay



Young Harmonist Padawan Twilight Sparkle is sent to the small moon of Elfaus 2, on a mission to find Harmony-sensitive individuals. Little does she know, the moon has much more in store for her.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,592

Chapter 18

Twilight watched as Celestia introduced Luna to the clones, and Luna, her head bowed, was explaining what she had done. It was clear that the clones weren't sure if they should trust her; but she seemed to be understanding of that, even accepting. She kept her head somewhat bowed… only to suddenly shoot up again with a squeal when Celestia gently tickled her under her ribs.

Twilight cracked a smile and glanced back at her Harmonists. Rainbow Dash was describing their exploits (and probably aggrandizing her own contributions), gesticulating wildly to Fluttershy, who was paying rapt attention despite having been part of the adventure. Pinkie Pie was leaning on Applejack’s head, bobbing her own head as Applejack and Rarity chatted about their experiences, and what Luna's return could mean.

She became aware of a presence behind her, and she glanced behind her to see Celestia, her hands folded and resting in front of her. She inclined her head. “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle,” she said softly. “You have done more for me than you could ever know.”

“Master Celestia, it was…” She gave a shaky smile. “It was completely worth it.” She flexed her left hand. “All of it.”

“I am glad you have such a perspective,” Celestia said. “I am truly grateful for what you have done.”

Twilight nodded, then hesitated. “You were right,” she blurted.

Celestia cocked her head. “About what, Twilight?”

“I did come to enjoy my time here. So much so that I'd… I’d like to stay here.”

Celestia nodded, silently inviting a little more clarification.

“Permanently.”

Celestia nodded again. “And what led you to make that decision?”

“I'm not really sure,” Twilight admitted. “I mean, I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to communicate with them, and making sure they didn't cut one another’s limbs off with their lightsabers…”

Celestia cracked a knowing smile.

“But when I was with them, I felt… complete. Like with them, I could accomplish more than I could ever do on my own.” She glanced up. “That is true Harmony, isn’t it?”

Celestia nodded. “It is one of its manifestations, yes. One of the strongest, in my opinion.”

“So you don't mind if I stay?” Twilight asked hopefully.

Celestia pursed her lips, as if thinking how to best word her next statement.

Twilight bowed her head and exhaled, resigned. “I understand. I mean, I'm technically still in training.”

“As am I,” Celestia smiled. She rested a comforting hand on Twilight's shoulder, making her look up. “We all have much to learn, and much to learn from each other. They will make fine Padawans… provided they have a good teacher.” She squeezed Twilight’s shoulder gently.

Twilight’s eyes widened. “You mean…?”

Celestia took a tiny step back and made a flicking motion with two fingers, and her lightsaber unclipped itself from her belt and gracefully arced through the air into her waiting hand. “Kneel, Twilight Sparkle,” she ordered.

As if in a daze, Twilight slowly sank to her knees. Was she really…?

“With your skill, you fought a Nightmare twice and survived. With your courage, you did not retreat from that which you knew to be right, regardless of the grave danger posed to you. Though you lost your hand, your determination did not waver; nor did your spirit break under the dark visions imposed by Nightmare Moon.” Celestia ignited her lightsaber, gleaming brightly and shimmering golden even in the bright sunlight, and brought it down over her shoulders. “By the right of the Council, by the will of Harmony, I dub thee a Knight of Harmony.” With a tiny flick of her wrist, Twilight’s small braid was cleanly severed by Celestia’s lightsaber and fell to the ground.

Twilight looked up, still in shock and barely registering her friends clapping around her. “Thank you, Master Celestia,” she said dumbly. “I- I won’t let you down.”

Celestia smiled. “Of that, I have no doubt. But as for right now, my fellow Harmonist, I believe you have a ceremony to attend.”

Twilight started. “A ceremony?”

“It seems Elfaus 2 likes rewarding people who save their settlements from crazed Nightmares. Who knew?” Celestia joked.


The door swung open, and the six Harmonists stepped forward. Twilight inhaled slowly through her teeth. It seemed like the entire town had turned out for this event; the town hall seemed almost completely filled, save for a narrow aisle down the center.

She heard a squeak behind her, and knew without looking that Fluttershy had ducked behind Rainbow Dash. Rainbow exhaled sharply through her nose, and ignoring the squeaks of protest, pulled Fluttershy forward. She adapted to this by hiding behind Rarity, instead.

That didn't stop the applause from coming. Twilight grinned and stepped forward. Beside her, Rainbow Dash strutted, her head up in the air, only breaking stride long enough to give the little purple-haired girl cheering excitedly right next to the aisle a high five of power. Beside her, Applejack walked, blushing slightly. Apparently, she wasn't used to being the center of all this attention, and she reached up to adjust her hat to shade a bit more of her face.

On her other side, Pinkie Pie skipped blissfully down the aisle, and Twilight would have given her a look had it not been so in-character for her. Next to her, Rarity strutted, her lekku swishing behind her, walking as though this were a fashion show; and Twilight was fairly certain that some of the cheers directed at her were more catcalls than anything else.

Behind her, Fluttershy shuffled forward. The longer she was out there, the further she retracted into herself; but the more determined she seemed to be to get to the end.

At the front of the aisle, the mayor stood. She stood in a solid stance, feet shoulder-width apart, and she held her hands clasped professionally behind her back. Next to her, Spike stood, holding an ornate black box. He looked over and gave her an encouraging hand gesture with the hand supporting the box. Twilight couldn't help but grin.

They soon came to the front of the hall and stopped, standing all in a straight line at attention (some more than others). The mayor opened the box and retrieved a medal. She pinned it on Fluttershy (who only flinched a little bit), and worked her way down the line, pinning a medal on each Harmonist.

After the last medal was pinned to Rainbow Dash’s chest, they all turned around, and once more applause rang through the hall.

Twilight smiled as she bowed in respect for the honor she was being given.

She was home.

Comments ( 4 )

Why is nightmares in all capital letters?

8780048
For the same reason DEATH STAR is in all caps in the crawl for A New Hope. Just to stress their importance to the story.

8782404
Yes!
...eventually. I’ve got six more episodes sketched out, but they’ll need work before they’re ready.

I had thought this fic was dead and didn't realize you had updated it until I checked my favorites shelf about a month ago. :facehoof: Now I've finally finished reading it and there's a lot to like about it. RD's character arc was good, and it actually makes the Nightmare Moon storyline work better if the Mane 6 have time to bond first before they go into the Everfree Forest to stop NMM. It makes more sense than if they just met less than 24 hours prior like in the original pilot.

The final fight scene was a little hard for me to follow, but I doubt I could write a coherent fight scene with seven characters at once. :applejackunsure:

Login or register to comment