• Published 4th May 2016
  • 1,594 Views, 33 Comments

Knights of Harmony, Episode I: Rise of the Elements - bahatumay



Young Harmonist Padawan Twilight Sparkle is sent to the small moon of Elfaus 2, on a mission to find Harmony-sensitive individuals. Little does she know, the moon has much more in store for her.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,594

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

A small transport vessel flew through the vast expanse of space, its flight path serene and focused.

This was in stark contrast to the young Harmonist it was carrying. Twilight Sparkle exhaled slowly and sporadically twirled a finger around her Padawan braid, a nervous habit she had not been able to break throughout her years of training.

Trespic, her draconian companion, glanced up from his datapad game and noticed her action. He paused it and hissed gently at her.

Though to a casual observer it might have sounded like nothing more than air escaping, Twilight had understood perfectly. “Nervous? A little bit,” she admitted. “It’s a big assignment.”

Trespic nodded and hissed again, another question.

“No, I can’t think of any other times Padawans got solo missions,” Twilight answered, “and especially not one this big. That’s what’s got me so nervous.” Her voice quieted. “I kinda wish Master Cadence were here,” she confessed. “She’s always so good with talking to new people.”

Trespic hissed again, this time wiggling his eyebrows.

Twilight snorted. “Flattery will get you nowhere, Spike,” she said, though one side of her mouth did pull up in a little smile. “You’re right, though. If Master Celestia gave me this assignment personally, then the least I can do is go; even if it is to a backrocket moon settlement in a backrocket system. I mean, there’s not even a spaceport; we were given coordinates to a landing field.” She exhaled. “I’ll be honest, Spike, I don’t think I’ll find any Harmony-sensitives out there. And then saying that I might want to stay?” Twilight shook her head. “I mean, I’d trust Master Celestia with my life, but this seems a little odd, even for her.”

Spike shrugged, but cracked a toothy smile and hissed once more.

“Oh, I couldn’t believe that,” Twilight chuckled dryly. “I never thought I’d hear her say I should stop researching something; but…” She sighed. “The prophecies are coming true, Spike. The Nightmares are coming back.”

Spike hissed, an offhand comment.

“I know you’re not one for prophecies and such, and maybe they are being misinterpreted,” Twilight conceded. Draconians like Spike were not known for being Harmony-sensitive, and Spike definitely put more stock in what he could see and touch himself. In his defense, though, his keen sight and heightened ability to detect vibrations had kept him and his species pretty safe on their own without Harmony’s assistance. “But then again, I don’t believe in coincidences.” She stood up. “I’m going to review the data from that log I found,” she announced. “Maybe I’ll find something new this time.”

Spike hissed.

“Yes, again,” Twilight said.

Spike rolled his eyes and hissed once more, then returned to his game.

“Twelfth,” Twilight corrected irritably as she left.

* * *

In the back of the ship, Twilight Sparkle held up a hand and Harmony-pulled her datapad over. She started it up and reviewed the information she’d copied from the log for the twelfth time. It had been a passing reference, but it still intrigued her.

Many years ago, there had been two Master Harmonists, wise beyond their already many years. The elder, Celestia, carried a weapon of bright yellow; the younger, Luna, carried one of midnight blue. These colors were often imitated, but even today none seem to possess the ability in Harmony enough to form their kyber crystals as perfectly as they.

They divided the labor between them. Celestia, older and wiser, led with a gentle hand, preferring politics and persuasion over brute force. In contrast, Luna preferred more action, often subjugating rebellions and uprisings through sheer force and her skill with the protosaber.

Over time, the younger grew discontent. How could her sister not see? Talking only covered the problem superficially; it festered discontent. Action preserved peace, she believed; preserved Harmony. She sought out the old ways, took strength from the Dark Side of Harmony, and was reborn as Nightmare Moon.

Her first action was to lay waste to the Harmonist temple, and Celestia was forced to take up her weapon and duel her own sister. Witness accounts say that the battle lasted many hours, and it was so destructive and so unbalancing to Harmony that the temple was of necessity abandoned afterwards. Its location has been lost with time, though some have said that it was on a small, forested moon of a planet in the Micrakn system.

Since then, Master Celestia has remained mostly silent on the subject of the battle, and has even gone so far as to restrict access to records of the time leading up to the battle. However, she has gone on record on attributing the victory to the Elements of Harmony.

Twilight shook her head as she turned her datapad off and tossed it aside. Harmony had not seen fit to give her any new insights this time. She may have learned nothing new, but the question burned even brighter in her mind. The Elements of Harmony. What were they? She knew she'd read about those somewhere. But where? This was the only reference she’d found.

Then again, there was plenty more information in the libraries of the Harmonist Temple of Canterlot; but Master Celestia had not seen fit that she should study there. It almost seemed like she was sending her away, so she wouldn’t discover more.

Or maybe it was part of a trial. Twilight brightened. She was getting to that age, wasn’t she? Cadence had implied that she would be ready for her Trials soon. Yes. Maybe that was it. Maybe this was just a delay Celestia had given her to see if her determination would waver.

It would not. She would complete her assignment, and when she found no Harmony-sensitive individuals, she’d go right back to searching for more information on these Elements of Harmony.

* * *

The ship touched down gently. Twilight sat up and cracked a smile as she undid her safety restraints. “Perfect landing as usual, Si,” she called to the pilot.

Trooper C-Six Six Five looked back and touched his helmet respectfully. “I do my best, Miss Sparkle.”

“And call me Twilight!”

“Yes, Miss Sparkle,” he said, his playful smile evident even through the helmet he wore.

Twilight walked towards the back of the ship. The gangplank slowly lowered, giving Twilight her first unfettered view of the planet. “Well, here we are,” she said. “Elfaus 2.” Her voice dropped back into the sarcastic register. “This is gonna be great.”

Spike looked out the opening and commented.

“Yes, it looks peaceful; but looks can be deceiving,” Twilight said, taking a moment and adjusting her uniform with a few quick tugs. She pulled once on her lightsaber to make sure it was still securely fastened to her belt, and then she turned around to head down the gangplank.

With a polite, “thank you, sirs” to the troopers, she stepped off and headed out into the unknown, with Spike at her side.