• Published 4th Apr 2016
  • 1,739 Views, 20 Comments

So this is what it's like to be a member of a long lost civilization. - Moofrog 3



You know when you wake up as a member of the living dead you don't usually tend to take it well. It's a good thing for John Greywood that he happened to wake up a future with such nice inhabitents eh?

  • ...
6
 20
 1,739

Meeting Applejack

Applejack's spare barn​

When we get back to the barn the first thing we see is Rose eating some chicken snake thing.

“Leave it to Rose to kill something before a single day has passed.” I deadpan before I notice that my three companions are silently staring in shock at the sight. “Uuuuu girls is something wrong?”

“John.” Rainbow Dash rubbed her eyes as if she didn’t believe what she was seeing. “How did your cat do that?”

“I's say that it’s because the cat's evil.” Pinkie Pie recovers from the shock first. “In fact she may be the most evil being we’ve ever encountered.”

“Twilight” I turn to the purple pony and raise an eyebrow. “Do you mind explaining, because I’m a little lost?”

“Your cat just killed a Cockatrice.” Twilight Sparkle said clearly in shock. “A monster capable of turning something into stone with a glance…that’s insane.”

I shrug. “Eh Rose was always a mean cat, although I’ll admit that mythical creatures are new, the meanest thing she’d ever killed before this was a weasel.”

Twilight Sparkle just continues to stare at the dead Cockatrice. “I’m starting to think Pinkie Pie might be right about your cat being evil.”

Before I can say anything in response the orange pony of the group comes running up to me with a yellow pony in tow.

“Twilight!” She calls in in surprise “We lost the undead human and one of his cats just killed a...oh seems ya already found him.”

“Heh” Twilight chuckled nervously. “Sorry Applejack we probably should have told you before we ran off to go get lunch.”

“It would definitely have helped things.” Applejack said glancing at the orange zombie cat as it devoured its prey. “So I take it our undead fellows the friendly sort then?”

“Yep!” Pinkie Pie pats me on the back with her hoof. “John here’s about as nice as the living dead can get!”

“Well if Pinkie's vouching for ya I’ll have to have her word for it.” Applejack turns to me “It’s nice to meet ya John, I’m Applejack and this is me lil sister Applebloom.”

“It’s nice to meet you both.” I smile “Sorry about the dead Cockatrice, I didn’t think Rose would get back to killing things quite so soon.”

“So soon?” Applejack looked confused “You mean that’s normal for your cats?”

“It is.” I rub the back of my head “That isn’t a problem is it?”

“Not really” Applejack glances back at Rose “As long as it only kills small varmints and stays away from Fluttershy’s cabin it should be fine.”

“Well” I say “I haven’t seen her killing anything too big so it shouldn’t be too much a problem so long as the spare barn's a good distance from the cabin.”

“It should be.” Twilight mentions as she uses her TK to take out some notes “Fluttershy’s cabin is on the other side of town, so it’s not like it be easy for a cat to get over there.”

“Well then I guess everything’s good then.” Applejack smiles. “Ah think I’m going to keep my distance from that cat of yers all the same though.”

“I wouldn’t blame you in the least.” I smile “One of her favorite things to do when we were alive was follow people around the yard and bite them until they’d stay still and pet her.”

“Mister John.” Applebloom looks up at me. “How did ancient humans meet cats anyway?”

“I’m not sure of that myself.” I say rubbing my chin. “But if I remember right they basically moved in during ancient times and started killing pests like rats and mice before they could decimate our food supply so we never really tried to kick them out.”

“It does make some logical sense.” Twilight says as she writes down some more notes. “You’ve mentioned that humans don’t control the weather so it’s not like you’d be able to call off a winter if you start to run out. The ability to keep pests from ruining your food was probably a very good thing to have.

I open my mouth to agree before I hear panting and turn to the source.

Oh my goodness it’s a tiny dog! She's just like a puppy! So adorable! My teeth are going to rot and fall out just from looking at her!

The dog runs up to me wagging her tail happily as she sets herself down right in from of me.

“She OK to pet?” I ask Applejack who gives a positive nod in response.

I immediately lean down and pet the dog on her head.

“Who’s a good girl?” I coo happily “Who’s a good girl? You are! Yes you are!”

In response, the dog rolls over and looks at me expectantly.

"D'awww.” I fail to resist her cuteness and start rubbing her belly. “You’re a sweetie pie aren’t you? How could anyone ever resist such an adorable little thing?”

“Wow.” Apple Bloom comments “Humans seem ta really like dogs don’t they?”

“Of course we do.” I say happily, still petting the concentration of adorableness in front of me. “We didn’t declare dogs "man’s best friend" back in the day for nothing after all.”

I here Twilight scribble on her note pad in the background.

“So John” I here he ask behind me. “How did humans meet up with dogs?”

“We don’t have much idea ourselves, actually.” I say as I stand up and turn towards Apple Bloom, allowing the puppy to roll over onto her feet. “Heck, I’m pretty sure dogs were around before humanity even had recorded history. One of the theories I read is that at some point in our early history some wolves moved in with some human tribes and those wolves eventually became dogs as we know them today.”

“So what were human dogs like?” Apple Bloom says as she sits down next to me. “Were they like the ones we have here, or were they really weird looking?”

“Well...” I begin. “The really small ones were more or less close to a cat in size, but the bigger ones could get about this big.” I say moving my hand to my waistline.

“Wow.” Applebloom says as she looks at my hands. “Those must have been some big dogs.”

“Well they are related to wolves.” I comment “So there is precedent for them to be that big.”

“Wolves are extinct on Equestria.” Twilight comments as she looks up from her notes. “Aside from the Diamond Dogs and other magical beasts, the dogs you described would be some of the largest canines on record.”

“I’ll say.” Rainbow Dash hovers at the same height I’m holding my hand. “I know ponies that are smaller than these dogs… I bet Fluttershy would be all over this if she found out.”

“Sounds like going to a dog kennel in your time would have been like taking a trip to Jurassic Bark.” Pinkie Pie says happily.

“Pinkie Pie.” I say smiling slightly. “That was a bad pun, a very bad pun.”

Pinkie Pie just gives me the widest smile in response.

“Wait?” Twilight Sparkle raises an eyebrow at me. “You actually got that?”

“Yep” I say flatly “She’s referencing a rather well know element of my culture.”

Twilight Sparkle just looks at me with a confused expression. “And you aren’t at all curious why a magical pony from the future is making references to your culture? “

“Oh right, you weren’t here for my little speech earlier.” I say stretching my arms out. “Well let’s just say I’ve pretty much just stopped caring about weird behavior. If Pinkie Pie wants to make puns based off of my now ancient culture I don’t see any reason to complain. You could say I’m a glutton for punishment like that.”

Pinkie Pie elbows me before smirking. “Now who’s making bad puns mister human?”

“I am.” I smile “And I’m completely unrepentant over it too.”

“More like, unrepuntant.” Pinkie Pie laughs before winking at me.

“Oh my.” I fake a horrified look. “That was just a punch to the gut.”

Several Bad Puns later

“Please.” Rainbow Dash holds one of her hooves up to her face “Please stop with the puns! I can’t take any more of it.”

I shrug. “Ok.”

“Awww.” Pinkie actually looks a little disappointed “And I was having such fun too.”

“Don’t worry Pinkie.” I chuckle “I have a feeling you’ll find something else fun to do."

“I know.” Pinkie says giving me a smile “Say, did you have parties in your time?”

“Yes.” I nod my head in the affirmative. “But I’ve always been of the…shy persuasion myself so I tended to avoid social gatherings.”

“Ah.” Rainbow Dash says hovering next to me. “We have a friend like that.”

“Yeah.” Pinkie Pie smiles “I guess that makes you kind of like a zombie Fluttershy!”

I rub the back of my head “Well I don’t know who Fluttershy is so I’ll just take your word for it.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt your conversation John.” Twilight Sparkle steps forward. “But would you mind if I run some quick tests on you? I just want to make sure the magic keeping you alive won’t spontaneously fail or have some other unforeseen side-effects.”

I gulp “Yeah that sounds like a good idea."

The rest of the day is spent on a variety of tests that I don’t quite understand, mostly because the majority of them involve some really esoteric magical physics, I can barely understand a lot of elements of normal physics so almost all of it went over my head.

Apparently it’s complicated for ponies too, so I’m not going to be getting any real concrete results for a good while.

Still, the tests burn much of the day and by the time they are all done it’s time for everyone to head home and go to sleep.

I don’t need to sleep, but one of the things we discovered from the tests was that I could sleep anyway if I wished.

Needless to say I took advantage of that fact.

Author's Note:

I would just like to give a special thanks to my proofread, goodness knows I'm bad at trying to make corrections myself.

Comments ( 11 )

7155668
The beginning of what?

oh oh oh what if he sucks up residual magic in the air to stay together

“Yep!” Pinkie Pie pats me on the back with her hoof. “John here’s about as nice as the living dead can get!”

Oh my now that’s a horse pun.

What? How was that a horse pun? :rainbowhuh:

7179994 Uhh... Maybe the fact that The Living Tombstone made some Pony Remixes is relevant?

7626420
I'm sorry but that doesn't qualify it as a horse pun.

7626631 I know, but that's likely the closest reasoning I can come up with.

7627538
Yeah, no one wins when you have to reach that far for a joke to even make joke sense. Especially if it is a pun.

That wasn't bad and it definitely is not a copy paste of Mogworld. Felt more like a Prachett storyline just without all the extra side stuff he puts in.

Not that that is bad. The story seems fine.

Oh the rage I’m out of chapters :twilightangry2::flutterrage:

Login or register to comment