• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 230 Views, 13 Comments

The Rise of the New Elements - FirestarPhoenixwing



Firestar Pheonixwing is one of the six elements of the world. Follow her as she tries to regain her memory after a tragic accident, battles evil creatures, and saves Equestria

  • ...
 13
 230

Royal Guard


I got the letter from the Princess a few days after I was old enough to go out on my own and had a nice little house near the edge of Ponyville. Derpy dropped it off on my way home from the market.

She said, “Hi Firestar, I got a letter for you!” She handed me a letter.


“Thank you derpy,” I said. “Here I have something for you too.” I gave her a box. She took it gingerly.


“What’s in it,” she asked?


“Open up and see,” I told her. She gasped a she opened the box up.


“Muffins, for me,” she said excitedly?


“Yep, you told me how you loved them so I bought some,” I said as she gave me a big huge.


“Thank you. See yah tomorrow Firestar,” Derpy said as she flew away!


“ No problem. See yah,” I said.


When I got home I put everything away then I got the letter Derpy gave me. It was addressed from the Princess. You see a few months ago Nightmare Moon had shown back up in Ponyville. So I tried one of the new fire abilities I had been working on, sending messages to Princess Celestia by setting the paper on fire. The trick was not to physical burn the paper but to send it in a magical fire that would reform it once it gets to the pony you send it to. Unfortunately I only works one way for me, so I get my letters of reply back via mailmare.


So anyway when NightMare Moon came back I sent a letter to Princess Celestia to tell her about it. I knew if I tried taking her on alone it would prove to be impossible. It was hard enough even for Princess celestia to cast her to the moon, but I guess if you're related to anypony it is hard enough to send them away anywhere by force. So I waited until I saw somepony flying towards the Everfree forest. So as fast as I could fly I chased after the figure. That was a mistake for me as it turned out to be Nightmare Moon.


“Go away and do not mention thou saw me to anypony, and maybe I’ll let thou go safety,” hissed Nightmare Moon.


Feeling a little brave I said, “Why? If I turn and go back home what’s to stop you from casting a spell on me or killing me?”


“Thou questions the position of Royalty,” said Nightmare Moon shocked? “How dare thou… Wait We must save our energy for the others. I will give thee another chance to walk away. Thou knows you can not defeat me on your own.”


“You're right I can’t stop you on my own, in fact I made a mistake by coming up here to think I could take you on alone; but i can buy time for whoever is trying to stop you.” I said in a reasonable voice.


“Fool,” said Nightmare Moon! In a wave of darkness she was gone and in her place were some small but terrifying looking dragon things. They were pure black with silver outlining on their scales and looked to be the size of a large Stallion. They were skinny but they looked fast. I was lucky Nightmare Moon didn’t know I had fire powers because they took one look at me and they spewed silver fire at me. When they stopped they looked a bit confused that I was still standing, well Flying in my case. I threw two fireballs at them but they just dissolved into the dark of night.


I had know idea where Nightmare Moon had gone into the forest and i had heard stories of terrible creatures like the Timberwolves and even a Cockatrice that could turn anything that looked at it in the eyes to stone. I had to go back home.


Once I got back to my house I opened the letter. It said:


Dear Firestar Phoenixwing,


I promised you would have an important role in Equestria one day. So in order for you to do this I thought we could give you the proper training to help you with this. You have been invited to join the Royal Guards. The initiation will be held two days after the Summer Sun Celebration with the graduating class. You have already proven to me you are capable of joining the Royal guard when we battled Clytius. I would love for you to come.

A chariot will arrive the day after the Summer Sun Celebration.


-Princess Celestia


The the day after the Summer Sun Celebration was tomorrow. Since the chariot was supposed to come I decided to call it a day. In the Morning everything seemed normal. I had a strange dream that night, that the lost Elements of Harmony were found and used against Nightmare Moon. Nothing was destroyed from Nightmare Moons Arrival last night, so I thought maybe the ones who were sent to defeat her must have done it. I wrote a letter for Derpy that morning during Breakfast. It read:


Hi Derpy,

I’m going to be gone for a couple days. The door will be unlocked, so let yourself in and drop the mail off on the table. Also there are some Muffins on the counter. Remember only take one a day otherwise I’ll run out.


Thanks see you in a couple days,

Firestar


I had just finished writing the letter when I heard the thump of a chariot landing. I grabbed the note and a packed satchel with my initiation letter and ran out the door. I grabbed a rock from outside and stuck the note to Derpy underneath it and put it by my door when I noticed that Princess Celestia and a young looking mare in the chariot.


“Princess Celestia,” I said bowing down. “What are you doing here? Who's that in the Chariot?”


“Firestar I received your letter about the appearance of Nightmare Moon as well as another letter from the one who defeated her. As for who this is, she is my sister Princess Luna,” said Princess Celestia.


“But that means--How,” I asked? “I encountered Nightmare Moon last night, but she got away.”


“She has been reformed. Please don’t call her nightmare Moon anymore,” said the Princess. “She’s still a little shaken up about last night. Please if you're ready I would like you to meet her.”


“Princess Luna,” I said bowing to her, “ I am Firestar Phoenixwing. I have been invited to join the Royal guard. it’s an honor to meet you.”


Princess Luna seemed to be a little shocked at this. “It’s an honor to meet me? Even after what happened last night?”


“All is forgiven,” I said.


“Oh. Ok, well... good, thank you. It is an honor to have thee serve Equestria. Thou looks to be a good soldier,” Princess Luna said. “I- i’m sorry for putting you in danger last night I- I was not myself.”


“No need to apologize Princess, all is forgiven. Forget about it, please it will make you feel better,” I said and Princess Luna noded. “Wait you said thou was a Phoenixwing?”


“Yes Princess,” I said.


“A phoenixwing served me as a follower of the night millennia ago she was a good soldier.”


“Really, what was she like?”


“Oh, a little shy at first. She was so sweet and gentle, but loyal. When I became Ni- my other self she stood with me in trying to rule with endless night. She married a good colt. They had a filly.”


“That’s um… interesting.”


“Firestar,” said Princess Celestia, “if you're ready we must depart.”


We got on Princess celestia’s chariot, which was quite comfy, and at about lunch time we arrived in Canterlot. We had some Daisy sandwiches and Hay fries. On our walk to the castle I said to myself, “I thought I’d never come back here, to canterlot.”


When we reached the castle Princess Celestia gave me and Princess Luna the tour of the castle. She showed us our rooms near the end of the tour and then showed her room if we needed anything. We thanked her and by the time the tour was done it was dinner. We had Sunflower salads for dinner.


The next morning it was the day of the initiation. I found that during the night my clothes that I was to wear during the ceremony were folded on the trunk at the foot off my bed. It was a simple blue cloak with some gold colored greaves for my front legs, and a helmet with a blue hair piece on top I put on the cloak and greaves.


Someone knocked on the door. “Come in,” I called.Both princesses came in.


“Ah, I see you already have your uniform for the graduation on already. Good the Ceremony is about to begin in a few hours,” said Princess Celestia. “I would like to walk you down with the rest of the guards. I hope you understand there has never been a mare in the Royal Guard. It has never happened and you maybe the only mare to join.”


“Are mares not allowed to join,” I asked as we made our to the rest of the guards to be.


“No,” said Princess Celestia. “Mares could join but they just choose not to.”


We finally reached the other guards and Princess Celestia and Princess Luna told me good luck and took their places on their thrones, although Princess Luna had a chair because she didn’t have her thrown yet.


The Guards started whispering when I stood among them asking them what I was supposed to do.Finally one of them told me what to do, “Well the princesses will call us up one at a time in alphabetical order to be given a blue star symbolizing our graduation. What's your first name?”


“Firestar,” I told him.


“Your Firestar? I was told there would be a Firestar behind me but I had never heard of you. I guess you're behind me,” he said.


“Thanks,” I told him.


Suddenly trumpets sounded and Princess Celestia called out the first name. Armored Cadet. Then Bronze Day. An hour later it was my turn. Firestar Phoenixwing.


“Congratulations. I Princess Celestia declare you--” KABOOM!


One of the guards yelled, “there's been an explosion. Protect the princesses.”


I grabbed a spear from a nearby rack and ran up to the princesses “Don’t worry Princess Luna,” I said guarding her, “We Will be safe.”


She nodded nervously.


“Whats wrong,” I asked.


“I’m worried that I may turn into Night- my other self,” said Princess Luna.


“Don’t worry Princess I’m sure your other form will never come back. You’ll be the best Princess of the Night ever,” I reassured her.


Suddenly the doors bulged on their hinges. Luna said, “Firestar the door, thou must help the others guard it. I will be fine on my own.” I looked at Princess Luna one last time then I ran to the door when I suddenly hear the bang of a cannon. The doors burst open and I was knocked back from the shrapnel. Ponies dressed in ragged clothing gallop through the doors. My ears rang. Then a pirate saw I was alive and charged me with a sword.


I Threw him off me with my back legs and flipped on to my feet again in the process. I grabbed a sword on the floor. Suddenly a pony who I could only imagine was the captain came through the shattered doors. We both made eye contact and I knew that this was a legitimate pirate operation. He dressed in a captains jacket and pirate hat. He even had an eye patch and of course had two swords and a couple of flintlocks. He was a unicorn pony.


He unsheathed both his swords. We fought until he knocked my sword on to the ground and shattered the blade. He knocked me on to the ground and raised his sword to finish me. Instinctively I raised a hoof to block him from striking me. Suddenly a blade springed out of my greaves as I made contact with his chest. “AAARGG!” he cried aloud taking shaky steps backward until he came to a column. He took out one of his Flintlocks out as I stood up still shock at my astonishing discovery of my, I decided they were hoof blades. I looked up to the sound of the hammer clicking back. Before I blacked out I heard *click* BANG as he pulled the trigger.


I woke up a few days later in the medical wing. “Uhg. I have to stop getting myself nearly killed.”


“I agree,” said Princess Celestia as she came out behind a curtain. “You were lucky the bullet only went through your wing.”


“What, happened after I passed out,” I asked.


“Well, the guards made a phalanx formation and drew the pirates back and made them retreat. You were all alone in the mass of pirates. We were surprised to find you still breathing. You're tougher than you look,” said the Princess. “Anyway, you should be able to go back to Ponyville when you want. Oh, yes I almost forgot why you're here, I Princess Celestia declare you Private Firestar Phoenixwing. Soldier in training.”

Anyway to sum up this story I became a special unit in the royal guard for Ponyville. This unit only consisted of me as the first mare and pegasus in the royal guard. I’ve protected Ponyville from some chaotic creatures so far and have become known by the ponies here as the Protector of Ponyville. Only time will tell what is in store for me. I talked about Nightmare Moon with Applejack she told me she defeated Nightmare Moon with the help of some friends she made on that night and that she was the bearer of Honesty. She introduced me to them. Rainbow Dash, bearer of Loyalty; Pinkie Pie, bearer of Laughter; Fluttershy, bearer of Kindness; Rarity, bearer of Generosity; and Twilight Sparkle, bearer of Magic.


“Twilight, good to see you again. I never thought I’d see you again since that night in the library,” I said!

“Hi Firestar,” said Twilight!


“Hang on,” said Applejack! “You two know each other already?”


“Yeah,” I said, “She was the first pony to help me when I lost my memory.”

“Cool, Let's go into town and celebrate,” said Applejack.