• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 227 Views, 13 Comments

The Rise of the New Elements - FirestarPhoenixwing



Firestar Pheonixwing is one of the six elements of the world. Follow her as she tries to regain her memory after a tragic accident, battles evil creatures, and saves Equestria

  • ...
 13
 227

Introduction and A New life

Introduction

I guess I never realized how normal my life was with my parents. I didn’t have fire powers at that time; much less know about them. I never wanted to live in a rich community. I think that I would've felt much more comfortable in a country like community. They always spoiled me, my parents, and were always concerned about my safety. Not that every parent shouldn’t care for their children’s safety, but my parents were over the top. I was not allowed to fly because I could fall and might hurt myself, I couldn’t even go anywhere without supervision from my parents and to make matters worse my parents made the teacher supervise me at every recess and P.E. class. I didn’t learn to fly until about a few years ago when the other fillies and colts were bullying me, not only for not being able to fly but I was the only filly in class who was a Pegasi who couldn’t fly, I got really mad at them after several days went by and I shot up like an arrow. But I lost my anger when I saw myself in the air flying like I had done it everyday. That night at dinner the family conversation wasn’t that fun. My parents made sure I didn’t fly anymore by strapping my wings to my body with a belt. I’m not saying I don’t love them, I did, but I was unhappy and I guess a little depressed in that life. Sorry, I should probably introduce myself…

A New life

Hi, i’m Firestar Phoenixwing, I was an only child until a little incident happened. I'm a pegasus filly with a special talent. You see, I can control fire, and even though my fire is magic it still has a hard time burning in wet places and in the cold. Princess Celestia told me to write down any event that happens to me. So this is my story…

A unicorn pony escaped from the Canterlot prison. As she is casting a spell to get away she is startled by me, Firestar Phoenixwing; “What are you doing,” I asked?

The spell, being interrupted explodes dissolving the criminal in glowing dust. The blast pushes me back knocking me out, the last thing I saw was my room on fire. When I awoke the house was burnt down. It was just me alone in the ashes, but unhurt. At first I didn’t know where I was; I felt as if I were missing something, like it was there on the tip of my tongue, I could only remember my name, Firestar Phoenixwing, and were I was born… Ponyville. Something told me ‘Yes go there, go to Ponyville.

But how I thought, “Hmm… there's a library in every city right, and every city has maps, so… there's a probably a library here that has a map but where.” I flew above the buildings and saw a castle, “Every castle has a library.” I said to myself

As I approached the building I saw an open window and went through it. Down the hall I saw a light and followed it until I found it’s source, the library. As I looked through books I pulled one off the shelf and saw a face on the other side.
“Hi”, said the new pony!

“Ahh” ,I shrieked!

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you, I’m Twilight Sparkle. Who are you” ,asked Twilight?

“Umm.. I’m, I’m Firestar Phoenixwing,” I said.

“Are you doing research too,” asks Twilight?

“Yeah, sort of, I need a map, can you help me,” I asked?

She pondered for a moment. “Maps? Maps? Oh yeah I saw some over here, this way,” declares Twilight,”Ah, here we are.” She pulls out a map of Equestria and unrolls it on a table.
“Where’s Ponyville,” I asked?

“Right... here. Why,” asks twilight?

“Well, It's the only place I remember. Besides my name, I can’t seem to remember anything and something tells me I need to go there, tonight, if I can and maybe I might remember some things,” I said.

“Oh, if you're going tonight you’ll want a cloak to keep you warm, here take this one, it’s mine but I can just always get a new one. It's supposed to rain pretty hard out tonight so be careful, and good luck with getting your memory back,” says Twilight.

“Thanks”, I said, “For helping me. Oh, and don’t tell anypony I was here ok?”

“I promise, not a soul,” promised Twilight.

“Bye, thanks again,” I said.

“Bye”, says Twilight.

-

Later that night, I started getting tired. I saw a tree that would provide shelter from the rain so I flew to a high branch. In the morning I continued my journey in the warm sun, but I was hungry and I had no idea if I was on the right path to ponyville. A few hours later I found a patch of wild berries. I ate every berry on the bush. Then I saw other bushes and put the berries in my cloak pocket for lunch and dinner and I was hoping for breakfast too. I hide to the side of the road once or twice to avoid anypony that might know I am missing from the fire. 3 days later I was starving. All of a sudden I could smell the fresh scent of picked apples.

‘Apples’ I thought. In a minute I’d eaten five of them and was about to eat a six one when I heard a voice, “What in tarnation? Why are you eating our apples? You didn’t even pay for them! Big Mac, I found a thief,” said a young looking earth pony, possible a little older than me. She had three apples for her cutie mark.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know this was a farm! L-Look I can’t pay for the apples I ate but I can work for them, then I’ll move on,” I said. Just then a large red earth pony, I could only presume was Big Mac, came around a tree.

“This pony here, she says she’ll work for them apples she ate,” says the pony called AJ, “You think it's a good idea?”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac declared.

“How ‘bout five apples for five days,” says AJ, “Deal?”

“Deal,” I said.

“You’ll get food and a bed,” said AJ, “By the way what's your name?”
“I’m Firestar Phoenixwing and I’m guessing your AJ and your Big Mac”, I pointed to each pony as I said there name.

“Thats right, but you can call me Applejack,” says Applejack “Now normally you’d buck the apples off the tree but, since you're a pegasus, I was thinking you could pick them out the air instead. We might get less bruised apples that way.”
“Ok let's get started,” I said. Five days went by, I ate the same food as everyone else, my bed was nice, and their granny Granny Smith is a very great cook, the foal Applebloom just stared at me the whole time. The morning of the sixth day I got ready to leave Sweet Apple Acres when I wondered about something, “Oh yeah, I almost forgot to ask, but, could you tell me which way it is to Ponyville?”

“Well, on maps and such, Ponyville is about a mile or so down that road, but we think of Sweet Apple Acres as part of Ponyville. Why’d you want to know,” asked Applejack?

“I lost my memory and I only know that I was born here so I thought I could recall some of my memories by going there,” I said.

“I’m sorry about that, good luck getting it back. Oh, and I may see you in town sometimes if you decide to stay. Bye,” said Applejack. “Come back and visit us again. Hopefully you won’t be working the farm next time *giggle*.”

“Cool, bye,” I said giggling to myself.

After a few minutes of flying I saw the tops of the buildings and houses. In a minute I could see and hear the town life. In another 10 minutes I was in Ponyville when all of a sudden I heard my name.

“... Firestar Phoenixwing, if you see her tell me straight away. One of my guards will pass out fliers of her. She is a filly without parents or a home, without food and water,” I heard the announcer say. I saw that it was Princess Celestia talking so I walked up to her.

“Well no need to go through all the trouble,” I said, “Excuse me, excuse me, thank you, Princess Celestia were you looking for me?”

“Firestar Phoenixwing I’m glad that you are safe, but what are you doing here,” asks Princess Celestia as the crowd started to disperse?
“This is where I was born,” I said, “I lost my memory so I thought I could find my parents here, that is what you meant by ‘without parents’ right? Are they back at Canterlot?”

“Firestar I’m sorry but your family is dead, they died in a freak fire that burnt your house down. Somehow you survived miraculously.”

“N-nooo, they can’t be dead, noooo, I know they're still alive. I-I can’t be an orphan,” I whimpered with tears in my eyes; but deep down I knew it was true my whole family was dead. I had nopony left. I started crying with big tears and quiet sobs.

“I see you earned your cutie mark sometime in the last couple of days, may i see it,” asks the Princess? I nodded as the Princess approached me. The Princess took off my cloak and looked at my mysterious cutie mark. I had not even noticed my mark at the time. “This is very interesting.”

*Sniff* “Why,” I asked?

“Well your cutie mark is a flame, and what looks like magical sparks,” said the Princess, “This can explain why you survived the fire. Which means you could have a special talent. Maybe some talent over fire. Maybe it’s magically involved.”

“ Control over fire and a magic.” I asked a bit confused? “Not to be rude but if you haven’t noticed I’m not a unicorn, or a alicorn princess like you, I’m just a regular old pegasus. There is nothing magical or special about me.”

“Yes, well, you may be more magical and special than you realized. There’s some sort of magic I can sense on you,” said Princess Celestia.

“But Princess Celestia I lost my memory, how am I supposed to learn magic,” I asked still sobbing?
“I can heal your memories, but only if you allow me to, and in the process, I can activate your magic ability,” said Princess Celestia.

“ Really you can restore my memory, yes, I allow you to restore my memory,” I declared a little less depressed.

The Princess touched her horn to my forehead and a flashing pulse travels from her horn into me restoring my memory; then the Princess looks for the source of my magic-to-be. She found it and activated it.

“Its is done, I’ll be staying here the rest of the week so I can help you develop your magic. I’ve read one of your papers from school. You said you did not like living in Canterlot. Does this still stand,” asks Princess Celestia?

“Yes it does”, I said remembering the paper she was talking about.

“Why? All your parents money is yours to live off of it. All 900 million bits and counting. Would you like to stay here?” , offered the Princess.

“I just didn’t like the whole rich business. I mean, I felt like I was spoiled. I didn’t want that, I don’t want that. I just wanted to live like a normal filly. In a town like this. Also the kids, they would bully me because I couldn’t and wasn’t allowed to fly. Then once I learned to fly I was bullied because I was one of the only pegasi in the school now if my classmates found out I am an orphan, I would be bullied even more than I was before. Yes I would love to stay here. Thank you, Princess Celestia,” I said.

“Your welcome, now, can you remember the events that started the fire and your journey to Ponyville,” asks Princess Celestia?

“Yes,” I said.

“Good, you can tell me all about it during lunch,” said Princess Celestia.

Me and the princess went to the local cafe’ and I told Princess Celestia about the start of the fire over hay burgers and fries. She listened to my story, without interrupting a word. If I paused she would nod for me to continue. I didn’t mention Twilight Sparkle to her. After I finished she shook her head,” I don’t know how she could have gotten ahold of such a powerful teleportation spell. I will have the police investigate into this. So we know who really killed your parents.”
“Who”, I asked.

“A mare crazy enough to unleash every villian me and my sister banished long ago.”
After lunch we started my training.
“First you must know how to cast and control your magic”, said Princess Celestia. I struggled a day trying to start a flame. Eventually I made one.

On the second day I learned to control the fire. On the third I could cast fire. On the fourth and fifth day I learned I could burst into flames and eventually mastered this move as well. I trained in aerial acrobatics and trained in jumping building to building just in case something happens to my wings. On the sixth day a dark mass loomed over Ponyville ,when, all of a sudden a cylinder of shadows was cast from the sky.

“Princess what’s going on? Is this a test of my ability,” I asked.

“No, it can’t be. Firestar this is not a test, this is an evil giant pony from the shadow. That prisoner that killed your parents must have unleash him. He extinguishes all light and absorbs all magic. Nothing escapes this creature without consequences, he only leaves death and destruction behind. Beware Firestar for Clytius has come. I can not face him down single handedly and there is not enough time to get other alicorns help and I can’t control the Elements of Harmony. You and I are the world's only hope. Only we can defeat him”, warns the Princess.
“I’m scared,” I whimpered.

“Me too young one, but we must not show our fear to him it will only make him stronger,” reassures Princess Celestia.

“YOU FOOLS WILL DIE BEFORE ME”, shouts Clytius. He was at least 20 feet tall with eyes the color of diamonds. His hair was long and his form was shadowy. Worst of all were his legs. They looked like they were dragon scales. I bursted into flames.

“Not today not ever again,” says the Princess.

“HAHAHA, IT’S TOO LATE TO STOP ME. A FRIEND OF MINE UNLEASH ME AT FULL POWER. I’LL ABSORB YOUR MAGIC AND EXTINGUISH THAT FILLY’S FLAME. I AM TOO POWERFUL FOR YOU PRINCESS”, shouts Clytius!

My fire suddenly went out and dark tendrils flew at me and the Princess. “What - what happened” I asked?

“Stay away from the tendrils, they will suck the life out of you,” said the Princess.
I dodged the shadow tendrils as Princess Celestia shouted to me, “You can relight the fire he only put it out for a second.”

“Ok,” I said as I threw a rock at Clytius. “Hey you, yeah you, take this. Hi-yaw!”
I threw another rock that burst into flames as it flew at Clytius. “You aren’t immune to rocks now are you.” I burst into flames and flew around Clytius and started bombarding him with fire. The Princess starts shooting magic bolts at Clytius but both of our attacks seemed to not affect him. He swiped at me with his hooves. but I dodged them and threw more fireballs at him. He slapped them away and punched me into a building. I heard a crunch as my left wing hit the wall wrong. My vision was blurry and there was a small ring in my ear. Dust circled around me.
“YOU HAVE COURAGE”, shouts Clytius! “TO TAKE ME ON LIKE THAT MY LITTLE PONY! BRAVO, BRAVO!” Dark shadows started flowing around him. He turned to Princess Celestia, “REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I SHOWED UP SILLY PRINCESS? YOU AND YOUR SISTER COULD BARELY DEFEAT ME! IT WAS ONLY AFTER THAT UMBRA PONY ABSORBED MOST OF MY SHADOWS THAT YOU COULD DEFEAT ME. AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM? HE BECAME THE CORRUPT KING OF A LONG AND FORGOTTEN EMPIRE! YOUR SISTER TURNED EVIL AFTER SHE ABSORBED WHAT WAS LEFT OF MY SHADOWS. THAT DROVE HER OVER THE EDGE! REMEMBER THAT? YOU HAD TO BANISH HER TO THE MOON! OR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR OLD FRIENDS?”
“SILENCE,” shouted the Princess. “I Have not forgotten them. It is only too painful to remember the old days of Equestria.”

I got up painfully. and made my way back to the princess trying to ignore the throbbing pain in my left wing. “King Umbra was a gentlecolt. It was your shadows that made him evil. Me and Luna had to banish him in the ice of the Frozen North. It is what he would have wanted us to do. As for my beloved sister, do not even mention her. Her memory burns painfully for me every time I raise the moon. I stood by the princess's side.

I looked over at the Princess and realized she was crying.
“HAHAHA BRAVELY SPOKEN. IN THOSE DARK DAYS MANY SACRIFICES WERE MADE. PONIES DIED. ALL THESE YEARS I BUILT UP MY ALLIES IN TARTARUS! BEHOLD THE ARMY OF THE DEAD!”

The ground shot up as skeleton ponies rose from the ground. The only other ponies around us were the four drivers of the chariot. They grabbed their spears and made a formation as they occupied some of the skeleton ponies. I blasted one with fire. Another one leaped on to me. My wing burned with pain as I hit the ground hard with the skeleton pony on top of me. The princess was dealing with Clytius. Protecting me from the shadows. The skeleton pony started choking me.

I don’t know if I was hallucinating from the pain and being choked but I thought I heard it say in a raspy voice. Now die ancestor of the fire princess. Die as the ancestor of the follower of the Lunar Crusade and of spirits.WAHAWAHA! My vision started to blur again and I couldn’t breathe. The pain in my wing was unbearable. I blasted its face with a fireball and kicked it off of me and it melted into the ground. I could breathe again.
“It's useless,” I declared. “We can’t stop him.”

“It’s not useless, not unless we combine our power. Stand next to me and start building up your firepower,” said Celestia. “On my mark release all your built up fire power at Clytius.”

“Ok I’ll try,” I said. I was scared for the life of me. I think the first battles are the hardest.

“OH”, shouted Clytius! “YOU ARE GOING TO TRY THAT ON ME NOW?! HAHAHA. AMUSING.” Moments passed and I could hear random explosions not to close by from where we were standing and ponies screaming in the background as there life was sucked out of them.

I thought to myself, ‘Why isn’t he killing us? He certainly has had the chance to do so by now. Or maybe he did. I got crushed, the Princess, maybe she took most of the blow and she's dead, now and I’m dying.’

Then I heard the Princess’s voice shout, “NOW”!

I thought ‘I am alive so is the Princess! What does ‘now’ mean? Oh, Yeah.’ I releases my fire and opens my eyes. I saw my fire combined around Princess Celestia’s magic. I was momentarily blinded by the light and the heat was intense, almost as if I were next to a miniature sun. When the light cleared a less giant Clytius stood before us. I thought, ‘Oh no it didn’t work. All that work for nothing.’

“A CLEVER TRICK BUT I AM STILL THE STRONGEST BEING ON THIS WORLD. NOPONY SHALL DEFEAT ME”, shouts Clytius.

“Not without your shadow mist your not,” countered Princess Celestia, “And now I banish your form from Equestria and send you back to Tartarus from whence you came.” The Princess shot a beam of energy at Clytius as he disappears with a mighty scream, “NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

“Good job Firestar”, exclaimed the Princess as she looked over at me, “Firestar are you ok?” My fire flickered around me. My vision blurred,then, suddenly I was out in a flash and collapsed. (After I collapsed I don’t know what happened, but this is what the Princess told me.) Princess Celestia felt my forehead. “Clytius must have put a curse on Firestar while we were channeling our energy. Somepony get a doctor quickly! Don’t worry brave one you’ll be alright I won’t let you die today,” says Celestia as she strokes my head.

A nurse runs up to Princess Celestia’s side, “Excuse me Princess Celestia but you called for a doctor, what is it, what's -- oh, oh no. We must get her to a hospital now. I’ll cast a spell to keep her alive until we get her to a doctor.” The nurse casted her spell. “Ok let's go!” They carried me to a small tent where a doctor was wrapping bandages around a pony's leg.
“Doctor you have to help this one quickly,” says the nurse.

“Stay off it for two weeks,” says the doctor to the patient. The doctor then turns around. “Oh my, what happened?”
“She has been cast with a death curse, upon using any magic the spell will activate and kill the victim depending on how powerful a spell they cast. In Firestar's case she and I just cast a spell powerful enough to send any being to Tartarus and most likely never return to Equestria and the enemy only had time to cast it on one of us. Using a spell like that while having a death curse will most likely kill you. Firestar is strong but she doesn’t have a lot of time left. I should have planned for this to happen, I don’t have the energy left to cure her with my magic,” explains Princess Celestia as she cursed herself (with words not magic).

“Don’t worry says the doctor I know the healing spell, but she will be in a comma for a few hours,” the doctor reassures the Princess.

The Princess nods, “Cast it then, quickly.”

The doctor casts the spell but then almost passes out after casting itl. The spell worked its way into my system and the curse started to leave my body in dark wisps.
“Thank you doctor how much is the treatment,” asked the Princess?

“No no, its free for you Princess Celestia,” says the doctor.

“Please I want to. After all you nearly passed out yourself casting it. Now how much”, insists the Princess?

The doctor gave in, “Fine, its 20 bits.”

The Princess pays the doctor 20 bits and waits outside. Two hours later she heard my confused voice as to where I was. “Huh? Where am I? Hello, where am I, anyone there?”
“Your safe,” says Princess Celestia as she walks in.

“Hi Princess Celestia,” I said.

“Hello yourself little one. Welcome back to the land of the living,” jokes the Princess. “Hey, since tomorrow is my last day I thought we could try to find you a new home here.”
“Wow cool, yes I would like that,” I said accepting the gift.

The next day me and the Princess help rebuild some of the destroyed Ponyville buildings; and we asked the families if they would adopt me but they had to decline because they couldn’t afford another pony in their family. I felt a little unwanted, but I didn’t resent them for not letting them join their family. I knew they already had a hard enough time paying to get their houses and shops fixed.

“I’m sorry Firestar,” said Princess Celestia, “but we have to go to the orphanage. Maybe somepony there will take you.”

“It's ok, thank you for everything Princess. I’m sure somepony will adopt me eventually,” I said.
At sunset the Princess and I said our goodbyes. “Firestar keep practicing your magic whenever you can. I’m sure Equestria will come to need your power in due time,” said Celestia.
I created a small flame in front of her. “I will.” I hugged Princess Celestia in a final goodbye.

“Oh, yes, I almost forgot to give you this,” the Princess pulled out a journal from the chariot,

“Write down any events down in this journal. “I recommend you write the events from the past few days up to this time. I must go now, goodbye firestar.”

“Goodbye Princess Celestia. I will write down any event that happens to me. I will never forget you,” I said.
“And I won’t forget you little one,” says the Princess.

-

The next day I started school and everypony there was talking about the past few days events, ‘Did you see it? It was huge!’ and ‘The princess totally destroyed it that's why she came to Ponyville, because she knew it would be there.’ I laughed inside. They knew nothing of the little filly that helped Princess Celestia defeat the giant.

I found out that Applejack and I are in the same class. “Cool, I feel more comfortable here already,” I said.

“Yeah, hey, I’m glad you're alright,” said Applejack. “We saw a giant shadow of a pony, then a big light and then the thing was gone, like it was never there.”

“Well, I was partly responsible for part of the light,” I told her.
“How,” asked Applejack?

“Me and the princess fought it with her magic and my fire powers which is how I broke my wing,” I said gesturing to my wing in its cast.

“Fire powers? What the hay are you talking about,” asked Applejack?

“Watch,” I said. I maked a small ball of fire, which made Applejack jump. “Sorry.” I put out the fire.

“No,no it’s fine, it's just, I didn’t expect you to mean it literally, after all you are a Pegasus,” said Applejack. “And pegasi don’t usually have the power to start a fire. That is really cool though.”

“Thanks, I also got my memory back,” I said.

“Cool how’d you do that,” asked Applejack?

“Princess Celestia healed my memory which is how I got my fire power,” I explained.

“So, you were hanging out with Princess Celestia pretty much the whole week,” asked Applejack?

“Yeah, pretty much,” I said.

“You should invite me next time,” said Applejack. Then we both started laughing.
So me and Applejack became great friends. I practiced my fire power an hour after school each day. Applejack watched me practice, applauding me when I succeeded in what I was trying to do and encouraging me when I messed up saying “Good try. You’ll get it next time.”


*Note to Self*
This is my story so far.
The princess said Equestria
will need my talent soon.
How soon is soon?
Tomorrow? Next week?
Ten years from now?
I hope I won’t have to bare
the weight of equestria on
my wings. I don’t know if
I can take that responsibility.

Author's Note:

If you find any grammar errors please let me know and I will fix them.

This is chapter one of my first story. I am planning 4 more of these fan fictions plus some shorter stories that will be related to these.