• Published 2nd Dec 2015
  • 409 Views, 0 Comments

A New Life for Bloodthirst - NgKQ



A side story from The Inheritors of Friendship, centering the vampire pony who had just lived in Ponyville.

  • ...
6
 0
 409

Chapter 13

The day of the ceremony arrived.

By evening, the ballroom was already packed with many of the ponies from Canterlot, with some other guests on their way.

Bloodthirst was with Melody Aurora. They were waiting for Shining Armor and his family to arrive from the Crystal Empire. She was tasked in ushering them.

“Excited in meeting them?” she asked him.

“Err, yeah, kinda,” he stammered. “Though I never actually met them in pony, although they came once for the decision for the Equestria Games…”

“Now that’s your chance. Feeling enthusiastic yet?”

“Yes, I’ll be, I’ll be.” He was quite worried. His late father had warned him in his dream, “On the night of the ceremony will be an intruder of unique strength, but will be powerless when an artifact of his is disorientated. The one who can defeat him is you yourself.” He wasn’t sure. What could possibly go wrong on such a grand celebration? And even if he didn’t know the strength of the enemy, how could he defeat him single-hoofedly?

His thoughts were immediately interrupted by the train’s whistle. The train from the Crystal Empire had arrived. Stepping out of the coach was Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, then their children, Flurry Heart, Paladin Knight and Mistral Violet.

“Glad to see you arrive in time, Uncle Shiny,” greeted Melody.

“I’m glad to see you here, too,” replied Shining Armor.

“Indeed it is a pleasure,” said Cadance. “I’m happy to see you again, Bloodthirst. I hope your relationship with everypony is going well, especially with Platinum Royale.”

“Yes, we are,” said Bloodthirst. Talking with the royals from the Crystal Empire momentarily made him forget about what would happen next.

“Our cousin Orion has written to us on your development,” Flurry Heart said to him. “I’m pretty interested to talk to you in pony. You’re indeed special.”

“He’s as special as Melody’s coltfriend, Sister,” said Mistral Violet.

“He’s my trainer,” Bloodthirst added.

“Whoa, cool! I should probably ask you to be my bodyguard or something. Just kidding, heh-heh,” said Paladin Knight jokingly.

“I would like to introduce to you our personal magic advisor,” Flurry Heart moved away to reveal the wizard Sunburst, along with his wife Starlight Glimmer, and a yellow, purple-haired stallion with orange hooves, who was their son.

“Hullo, Melody,” Starlight greeted. “I must say, congratulations on your brother’s engagement!”

“Thanks, Madam Starlight. Mom told me she was expecting you greatly.”

“Oh, that’s a pleasure,” replied Sunburst. He turned to Bloodthirst. “You’re Bloodthirst, aren’t you? Flurry Heart’s cousins have written to us about you.”

“He’s a nice gentlecolt, I must say,” complimented Starlight.

“Well, actually, I’m… still learning,” Bloodthirst replied.

“He’s still quite new to our community,” elaborated Melody.

“New, eh?” asked the stallion.

“Indeed he is, Solar Shine,” Starlight replied. “In fact Melody admits he looks scary, but he’s on the good side when you get to know him long enough.”

“Well anyway,” Shining Armor continued. “Care to show us to our seats?”

“Sure, no problem. Come with me!”

Together, they escorted the entire family to the ballroom. Twilight Sparkle was waiting.

“Good to see you in time, Shining Armor,” Twilight spoke.

“We are gladly,” replied Shining. “It’s good to see this family growing. Where’s my handsome nephew by the way?”

“Talking with Princess Celestia right now. He’ll be here shortly,” said Twilight.

“Perhaps we can talk to him,” said Cadance. “Twilight, will you take us to where he is? Kids, please follow Melody to your table.”

“Alright, Mom,” said Mistral.

“Well then, just follow me,” guided Melody, and they left, leaving Bloodthirst and Spike at the entrance.

“Why aren’t you following them?” Bloodthirst asked.

“Well, you know,” explained Spike. “I’m waiting for someone, some dragon.”

“Dragon? Who’s that?”

“Wait and see. She’s the ruler of all dragons! That’s called a Dragon Lord.”

“Did you say… she?”

“Yep, she’s different from the previous Dragon Lords. Wait and see.”

They waited for five minutes. Soon they could see several figures in the air, and they all touched down in front of the entrance. Standing in the middle was Dragon Lord Ember, clad in her formal attire. Despite her physically matured after many years, she still retained the personality she had ever since she met Spike.

“Phew!” she sighed after touching down. “Am I late?”

“Nope, you’re right on time,” said Spike as he approached her.

“Oh, Spike!” she exclaimed, hugging him. “I don’t always see you, but in my heart you’re a young little dragon growing every day!”

“Welp, you always say that,” he said embarrassingly.

“You two do know each other?” Bloodthirst asked.

“Oh, who are you?” Ember noticed Bloodthirst. “I’ve never seen a pony like you before.”

“Well, he’s different from the others,” said Spike.

“Lord Ember! There you are!” Twilight called, having returned from taking her brother to meet Orion Galaxy.

“Hi, Princess Twilight,” greeted Ember. “Congratulations on your son’s engagement! I’m here to send my regards, representing the dragons.”

“Thanks,” responded Twilight. “I know, you’re excited as I am for this ceremony.”

“Heh-heh, I know. Can you take me to my table by the way?”

“Sure, this way!”

“She’s so nice!” exclaimed Bloodthirst. “You know, I used to think many dragons are cruel, brutal creatures.”

“That’s the concept everyone used to think before Ember succeeded her father,” explained Melody as they walked back to the ballroom. “Mom told me that he and all dragons participated in a competition for the new Dragon Lord called the Gauntlet of Fire.”

“Technically I was supposed to be the Dragon Lord,” Spike continued. “I didn’t want any other dragons to pose a threat to my pony friends, that’s why I took part. Ember should be the true Dragon Lord, she’s a princess, after all.”

“The Gauntlet of Fire… what’s that all about?”

“We’ll tell you after the end of the party,” said Melody. “Right now I need to look for my friends from Canterlot…”

As they looked around, they noticed something.

“Hullo! Melody! Over here!” Star Dancer’s voice could be heard. As they turned around, they could see her waving her hoof. She was seated with Thunder Arc and the rest of her friends from Canterlot.

“Well, it’s about time I need to talk with them. In the meantime, enjoy the meal!” She said as she rushed off.

“Alright, take care,” said Bloodthirst.

“How about looking for your friends now?” asked Spike.

“Yeah, I was wondering where they could be…”

“There you are!” Beryl called, appearing in front of him. “We’ve been wondering where you’ve been!”

“I was with Melody,” he explained. “She err, introduced to me some royals.”

“Tell us about everything on our table, alright? Where’s Melody by the way?”

“Um, off to see her Canterlot friends.”

“Hmm, okay. Then come with me. Spike, can you go help Princess Twilight?”

“Alright, then. At least, I got nothing to do right now…”

In the next hour the dinner went underway. Guests gathered at tables, chatting and talking. Waiters served the meals at the tables. Everything ran like clockwork. However, throughout the dinner, Bloodthirst still felt uneasy. Despite telling everyone on his meetings with the royals, yet he was still worried on the arriving foe.

“Bloodthirst,” asked Prudence Aura halfway through their meal. “Are you alright? You don’t seem to have some appetite at all…”

“Err, yeah, I’m fine,” he said hastily. “I’m just enjoying the meal nicely, eh-heh-heh…”

“You don’t seem like to be the mood,” Beryl resumed. “Is it because we couldn’t find anything about your clan yesterday?”

“It’s not that, it’s…”

“Come on, tell us,” pleaded Platinum Royale. “We’re your friends, we trust you.”

“It’s… it’s just that… I have a bad feeling, something bad’s gonna happen.”

At once, everyone on the table went silent.

“Did you say… something bad?” Raisin Brandy asked.

“Bad? Pah,” snorted Thunder Clash. “What else could go wrong in this one?”

“That’s nonsense,” added Pizza Frenzy. “Parties usually go well. How can there be a catastrophe or something?”

“Uh, y’know, he may be right,” Pepper Flake interrupted.

“Say what?” asked Fiji Appleoak.

“My body’s shaaaaakiiiinng like craaaazzyyyyyy,” she stuttered. “That’s my Pepper Sense, something reeeaaaallll bad’s gonna happen.”

“Seriously?” asked Greenie Hats.

“Ain’t just bad, it’s waaayyyyy dooooozyyyyyyy…”

Before any one of them could answer, suddenly, there was a loud crash outdoors, followed by a few cries from the royal guards. It startled everypony inside.

A few booms followed, accompanied by slight tremors in the ballroom. The ballroom door then burst open, and to everyone’s horror, stood a tall, ferocious orange dragon, and he wore golden wristbands around his claws. He gave a loud roar.

“It’s Icarex the dragon bandit!” exclaimed Ember.

“What are you doing here gatecrashing my engagement dinner!?” thundered Orion Galaxy.

“You know what I am for,” came the reply. “I demand all of the castle’s valuables!”

“Seize him!” commanded Shining Armor to the guards.

At once, the guards flashed to apprehend the dragon bandit. But then, Icarex raised one of his arms, and without warning, all were suddenly raised upwards, and it was so violent that all hit the ceiling with a thud, and all fell to the floor, groaning.

All the guests watched and gasped in horror. The next moment, strange energy forces emerged from the floor, clutching and trapping their hooves like plunderseed vines from the Everfree Forest and they all couldn’t move.

The foals in the ballroom cried in fear. Their parents wondered desperately as they tried to comfort them.

“You cannot defeat the Great Icarex!” he roared. “Right now, I demand everything that’s valuable, from all those great jewels to your ancestors’ valuables!”

“All of these mean everything to the kingdom!” argued Princess Luna. “You cannot take them!” But then a magical force zapped her and the next thing everyone knew, her mouth was sealed shut by Icarex’s magic.

“No arguments, and no tricks,” warned Icarex. “I repeat, I demand EVERYTHING.”

“Y-yes, we know,” said Celestia fearfully. “We’ll give you everything, as long as you don’t harm my subjects…”

At once, the magical forces that trap them vanished, and like slaves, she and the royals seated headed to the treasure room.

“Hurry up!” Icarex commanded. “Don’t make me see you making an escape plan!”

He turned to the crowd as he spoke.

“Just to let you know, puny ponies,” he sniggered. “I have been planning on this grand robbery, after many years of being a bandit robbing anypony who passes. You may have forgotten who I am, but I am actually against this silly concept of being friends with ponies!”

Ember was enraged. She wanted to argue back, but was horrified by what Icarex had done to Princess Luna.

“I’ve been planning this intrusion for many months. I had many of my spies working for me, keeping track on the security…”

As Icarex continued his speech, Bloodthirst looked, and wondered. Then, he remembered his dream. His father’s predictions were right after all! Then he remembered what his father told him more about their clan…

“Ponies would use to think that we are like the vampire ponies from the traditional stories, in fact we are different from their concept. We are almost indestructible, physical attacks from ponies, including magic, or holy items, garlic or stakes, cannot harm and destroy us.”

“Then what else can?”

“Those from our own kind can only inflict injuries to us. For normal ponies and other beings, their method to destroy us is to cut our bodies up and burn them before the body parts reconnect back. Apart from this, one day, ponies will invent a potential weapon that can wipe us out…”

“That’s scary…”

“Well, in any case that won’t happen to you. Besides, these are the abilities that help you to survive any potential attack…”

Immediately Bloodthirst realized. If his father had told him that he had these traits, that could only mean one thing: he’s the only one who can face him!

“Bloodthirst,” Platinum Royale whispered to him. “What’s with that face? Aren’t you scared?”

“It’s not that I’m scared, it’s just…”

“What are you talking about?” Beryl asked.

“Beryl, I dreamt about my father two days ago!”

“Your father!?” blurted Chaos Control. “What did he tell you?”

“He told me some things about my clan, and what’s going to happen tonight, and I’m the only one who can beat him.”

“Really!?” cried Greenie Hats, but Platinum cautioned her. “Then why don’t you defeat that monster now?”

“I have to wait for the right moment! I mustn’t let hell break loose!”

Soon the royals laid a huge pile of treasures and valuables in front of Icarex. However, he seemed displeased.

“Just these? Anymore?”

“Th-this is all we had,” said Twilight. “The rest, w-we had to get to the main castle.”

“Then what are you doing? Go there now!”

“You really think we can give everything in this castle?” Melody asked suddenly.

“What?”

All of a sudden, Melody fired a magic blast straight towards Icarex in a vain attempt to take him down. But fast as lightning, he deflected the blast, and Melody ended up being knocked out cold.

As the royals looked at her aghast, the entire ballroom let out cries and gasps.

“Melody!” shouted Chaos.

“What have you done to our friend!?” growled Greenie.

“SILENCE!” roared Icarex. “As I said, those with tricks will end up like her!”

“Well you won’t do that to me!” declared Bloodthirst.

“What did you say!?” Icarex turned to Bloodthirst.

“You’re mine!” With all his might, Bloodthirst broke free from the energy forces, and charged towards him, dashing through the still-trapped guests.

Seeing one victim already free, Icarex tried to trap him back, but just moments Bloodthirst was trapped again, he broke free again. He rose into the air.

“You may be powerful,” challenged Bloodthirst. “But I doubt you’ve never faced an opponent like me!”

Icarex was startled at his little victim.

“Y-you…!” he stared at his enemy, and snarled. “Very well, let me see how powerful you are…”

“Bring it on!” accepted Bloodthirst as he charged straight towards him. He was about to punch Icarex but he grabbed his body and pounded him onto the floor.

The guests gasped, but before they knew it, Bloodthirst got up, recovered and charged back towards him, firing his eye lasers. Icarex blocked and deflected them back, but Bloodthirst swiftly avoided them. He levitated him and banged him sharply to the ground. Again, Bloodthirst quickly got up, and continued to battle. As many times as Icarex tried to defeat Bloodthirst, he still got up, and relentlessly tried to fight back.

The guests watched in awe. They have never seen somepony like him facing a ferocious being.

“Wow…” gasped Greenie. “He’s tough.”

“Does he have a lot of stamina or something?” asked Thunder Clash. “There doesn’t seem to be a scratch or bruise on his body.”

“I can’t even let go of my breath…” Platinum said worriedly.

“To think that he dreamt about his father two days ago,” said Chaos. “Telling him everything about his clan…”

“His father?” asked Prudence.

“Yeah, yesterday we couldn’t even find a single thing or clue in the castle library,” he continued. “He didn’t even tell us about his dream either.”

“Why didn’t he tell?” asked Beryl.

“That’s what I need ask him after this. For now I’m concerned about Melody.”

“She’s really hurt from that impact,” remarked Malinae.

“Apart from this I noticed something about Icarex.”

“What’s that?” asked Pepper.

“I’ve been observing those wristbands around his wrists. It looks like they give him the power to trap us and attack. And the way he crosses them together, he’s recharging them! I think Bloodthirst is trying to break the wristbands to capacitate him.”

“At this rate, I don’t think Bloodthirst can take him down. He’s a tough enemy,” said Fiji.

“He should, I trained him everything he needed.”

The battle raged on. The bearers of Harmony looked on, still worried.

At another side, Moon Dancer, her old friends and Lightning looked on, worried.

“I can’t believe he has such potential,” Moon Dancer murmured.

“Like, where did he get that power from?” inquired Minuette. “He seems superpony.”

Lightning silently watched, remembering what happened yesterday afternoon…

He was relaxing, reading his favorite novel in the garden, when suddenly, Thunder Arc called him.

“Dad!” he cried. “Bloodthirst is looking for you!”

“What?” He put down his book, and the next thing he knew, Bloodthirst had arrived.

“Bloodthirst? Why are you here for? Aren’t you supposed to help with the preparations?”

“Mr Lightning,” he said. “Please, shoot me.”

“What!?”

“Shoot you!?” exclaimed Thunder Arc. “Why?”

“Just shoot me already!” he demanded.

“Alright, here…” Lightning concentrated, while Bloodthirst shut his eyes, preparing to take the blow.

Thunder watched, and just as Lightning launched the shot, he shut his eyes, too. When he opened them, he was surprised to see Bloodthirst unhurt!

Lightning was shocked, too. “You’re… still standing!?”

Bloodthirst opened his eyes, and looked all around his body. “Gosh,” he cried. “I really am invincible to pony attack!”

“Bloodthirst, what are you talking about?” Lightning asked, confused.

“I-it’s a secret, please, don’t tell anypony else, even Melody or Orion…”

The flashback ended, and Lightning watched the battle rage on.

“He really is of a different kind!” he thought to himself. “I need to know more, but how?”

Soon, both of them grew tired. Bloodthirst’s smart dinner outfit was badly torn, but there was not even a wound on his body. They stared at each other, panting.

“Meh-heh-heh,” said Icarex. “You sure are a tough rival after all.”

“Nothing special,” Bloodthirst replied. “You’re just a fierce beast.”

“Aha,” he responded. “But I bet you’ve never seen my special move!”

But before he could act, something suddenly struck him from the back!

“Aargh! What was that!?”

The guests could see a figure appear and fly around.

Orion recognized the figure. “It’s Dad!” he exclaimed.

“Melody’s dad!?” Platinum cried.

“Horseapples! Didn’t think Melody’s father would come!” cried Chaos.

Flash Sentry perched in front of Bloodthirst.

“Battling hard, eh?” he asked him.

“I think I’m not. I must save this dinner!”

“Calm down, kid. You know, relying on your own abilities isn’t enough. You need to know one thing about him in this battle.”

“What is?”

“See those wristbands he’s wearing? If we can break these he’s defeated easily! I’m going to be your backup this time…”

“Wait, what, are you talking to somepony!?” Icarex exclaimed. Among everyone in the ballroom he could not see Flash.

“You’ll never see him, but you can feel him!” said Bloodthirst, as Flash began swift attacks. Icarex tried to find him, but to no avail.

“Why can’t I see him!? Is this meant to be a trick!?”

“Flash Sentry is somepony special who guides anypony he’s familiar with!” declared Twilight. “A bandit like you will never see him!”

“What!?”

Then, without warning, Flash shoved Icarex from behind, at the same time commanding Bloodthirst.

“In his face, now!”

Bloodthirst charged. Icarex saw him coming, and used his arm to shield his face, but it was too late.

With all his might, Bloodthirst gave a massive headbutt to his arm, and with a crack, the magical wristband he was wearing shattered. After the impact, Bloodthirst fell to the ground, sprawling. Icarex was thrown across the floor.

At once, the magical forces that trapped the guests disappeared, freeing them. While Chaos and Beryl rushed over to Melody’s aid, the rest went to check over Bloodthirst.

“Bloodthirst!” Platinum Royale cried as he struggled to get up. “Are you okay?”

“I’m… okay…” he replied as he felt his head.

“That headbutt was sure painful, wasn’t it?” asked Prudence Aura.

“I thought my head’s gonna burst,” he said, bearing the pain. “Anyhow, I must check on Melody.”

They all rushed over to where Melody was. She was still lying unconscious. Chaos was feeling her all over.

“How’s she doing?” Twilight asked, concerned.

“She’s okay, but I’m not sure how long will she be out cold,” deduced Chaos.

“I’ll check her out,” Flash volunteered, and everypony stepped aside. Gently, he held her head and stroked her. Soon, she slowly opened her eyes.

“… Dad?” she asked.

“Oh, Melody, glad you’re awake,” Twilight cried, hugging her.

“What… happened? Where’s Icarex?”

“Bloodthirst has saved the night for us again,” remarked Princess Celestia, looking at Icarex’s direction.

Icarex was trying to recover, and he was cross.

“Curses!” he groaned. “How… could I… lose… to… some… puny pony!? I’ve planned that all along! There’s no way some stupid pony can-”

Before he could finish his sentence, magical forces suddenly appeared and trapped his claws and legs.

Ember had used her scepter to trap down Icarex. “It’s no use complaining. It’s time for you to face for your actions.”

Icarex could only grunt as Ember’s followers led him away.

“I was quite surprised at your appearance, Sir!” Platinum Royale told Flash. “You know, I was holding my breath for him!”

“No big deal. I only wanted to help him quicker,” explained Flash. “Apart from this I know that Bloodthirst has been in deep thoughts for a long time, so I wanted to help.”

“Help him? How?” asked Chaos.

“I was the one who foresaw Icarex going to ruin the big night, and that I foresaw how Bloodthirst can fight him, so I found his parents in the afterlife, and told him everything. Marigold scent said that it’s time for her husband to see him now, so he offered to tell him what I’ve told him.”

“But how did you know Bloodthirst can fight him?” asked Beryl. “And his abilities and everything?”

“It seems that those who tried to search on the history of vampire ponies yesterday may have overlooked something.” He finished and produced an old book.

“A book on vampire ponies!?” blurted Melody. “Where did you find it?”

“Well I met a ghost named Silent Reader. She apparently followed you all to Canterlot to find books to read in the middle of the night. Also I know the dilemma Bloodthirst has been facing lately, so I wanted to help him.”

“So you asked her to help find the book?” asked Orion.

“Yep, and we found it underneath a tile under a bookshelf. Somepony appeared to hide it underneath as a prank long ago, but he or she never got to get it out.”

Everyone stood wide eyed on the trick the prankster made.

“I… don’t know whether to laugh at that…” murmured Peanut Butter.

“Ugh, that prankster,” said Celestia. “Anyway, I guess it’s time for a reprint of the book, I suppose.”

“Princess, can you lend it to us, first? Dad has found our ultimate answer that holds the origins to Bloodthirst’s family!” Melody pleaded.

“Of course I’m lending you!” approved Celestia. “For one month. It should be enough for you to get the main clues.”

“Bloodthirst,” approached Orion to him. “You really saved my day again. I just… don’t have the words to express my gratitude.”

“You basically saved the entire night for us,” congratulated Twilight.

“I really couldn’t expect more from you, pal,” added Discord.

“Bloodthirst is always everypony’s Number One!” chirped Novella Fantasy.

At once, everypony shouted their praises to Bloodthirst.

“No big deal,” Bloodthirst said as the cheers died down. “I must thank Chaos Control, he trained me. And if not for Melody and Orion’s dad to help it would’ve been endless.”

“You can join the royal guards!” suggested Princess Luna. “I’ve seen your brave spirit, good enough to defend the kingdom!”

“Thanks, but I don’t need to,” he turned down gracefully.

“Why not?” asked Cadance.

“Is it because of my story on being a royal guard?” asked Orion.

“I just need to learn more about friendship,” he explained. “There’s a lot more things I need to know, and be smart. I want to be the pony who I am.”

“What a modest answer,” said Starlight Glimmer. “Tell you a history, when Sunburst got his cutie mark I used to think cutie marks ruin friendship, so I founded a town where I unmarked everypony and made everypony equal, and I got beaten by Twilight, so I sought revenge on her. But now,” she paused as she turned to Twilight, who was smiling. “I know friendship is more important than any stupid cutie unmarking act.”

Bloodthirst was amazed.

“I… I never knew somepony who can unmark cutie marks!”

“I made sure she doesn’t do that again,” said Twilight. “Right now she’s happier than before.”

“You really gave us an amazing answer, Bloodthirst,” praised Celestia. “I hope you’ll learn more friendship nicely as Princess Twilight and Starlight does.”

“I’m honestly impressed by your courage in battle,” Meadow Charm said to him. “Princess Luna was right. We could’ve recruited you, but after all, you do have your own point.”

“My heart nearly skipped a beat watching your combat,” said Moon Dancer. “You really are splendid, as my children said.”

“You know, Thunder and I wondered, were you a superpony, resisting attacks?” Lightning told him. “After witnessing everything I really wanted to know more about you.”

“Lightning, my old friend!” called Flash. “You will soon, after one month!”

“Flash Sentry? Are you real?” Lightning approached, trying to feel him all over.

“I may not be, but I am!” he chuckled, holding his hoof. “It’s good to see you and your family well.”

“Aww, you never change,” he said, and hugged him.

Twilight and Moon Dancer looked embarrassingly at each other as the others stared.

“Wow, are they so close?” asked Ember.

“You’ll never know my dad. He’s the pony who appears to refresh for your next day,” said Orion. “Well, anyway, why don’t we finish celebrating the night?”

“Aaand another celebration for Bloodthirst the hero!” shouted Pepper Flake as she and her brothers popped party poppers around him, making him blush.

“B-but I’m not so quick to rise to the fame,” he said.

“You’ll do fine, darling,” Platinum assured him, kissing on his cheek. “This is just the beginning.”

The celebration resumed, with Bloodthirst treasuring his pride.

Author's Note:

Whee! More S6 references! Also dat Pepper Sense. She's Pinkie's daughter, after all! XD