• Published 29th Nov 2015
  • 446 Views, 3 Comments

By Definition - BlaappyMLP



Sweetie Belle struggles to define herself and the role she plays as Equestria crumbles before a new and malevolent evil.

  • ...
 3
 446

Chapter 2: Magic Trick

Sweetie Belle stared up at the simple wooden door, suddenly nervous. It was fairly new, and it was painted a pleasing shade of light blue. A small wreath hung cheerfully from the door.

Rarity nodded her head towards the door. "Go on, Sweetie Belle," she encouraged, "knock on the door."

"I don't know..." Sweetie said, clearly feeling uncomfortable.

Rarity raised a delicate eyebrow. "Whatever is the matter, dear?"

"It's just..." the anxious filly shifted in place. She looked up at her sister. "I just don't know if I'm ready for this. I barely know Lyra. What if she's super strict? What if I can't learn magic? Will she get super mad at me if I can't perform a spell?" Sweetie Belle gasped. "What if she bans me from using magic?!"

Rarity smiled reassuringly. "It's ok, Sweetie. You'll like Lyra. In fact, she almost reminds me of you..."

Sweetie tilted her head. "Really?"

"She's a very kind and..." Rarity paused, "oh, how to put this... enthusiastic pony. She's a very talented mare, to say the least. In Ponyville, I'd go as far as to say that she's really the only other unicorn besides Twilight who is interested in magic itself. She was sort of the unofficial Twilight before Twilight arrived, if you will."

At this, Sweetie visibly relaxed. "Ok, Rarity. I guess if you like her, it won't be so bad."

Rarity patted her little sister on the head. "That's the spirit. Now go ahead and knock on the door, all right? I need to get back to the boutique."

Despite her sister's support, Sweetie gulped as she trotted up to the door. She breathed and quickly rapped on the door. Almost immediately, Sweetie whipped around and shrugged. "Oh well... I guess nopony's ho-"

"I'll be right there!" called a cheerful voice from somewhere in the house. Muffled hoofsteps could be heard hurrying toward the door. The door swung open, revealing a cream-coloured earth pony with large curls bouncing in her blue and fuchsia mane. Three candies decorated her flank. Sweetie Belle recognized her as Ponyville's resident pastry connoisseur. She ran her own candy shop across town from Sugarcube Corner. What was her name?

"Bon Bon!" Rarity exclaimed. "Oh, it's been ages! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever! I mean, I've seen you around, but I just haven't had the time... it's been very busy at the boutique lately," the fashionista explained, "what with Princess Celestia visiting tomorrow."

Bon Bon said it was all right before doing a double take. "Wait. The Princess is coming... here? Tomorrow?"

Rarity gasped dramatically. "You mean to say you don't know? Foalhardy is hosting a once-in-a-lifetime concert here in Ponyville, and Celestia is coming to watch! They even hired me to design their costumes for the performance!"

Bon Bon gasped. "Wow! They're actually performing here, of all places? That's amazing, Rarity!" Rarity and Bon Bon squealed and hugged each other, prancing excitedly. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes.

Bon Bon pulled herself away, suddenly lost in thought. "Huh. I didn't know the Princess was a fan of rock. I always assumed she was into classical music and the like, you know? I figured she would go to one of Octavia's performances," the mare shrugged. "Learn something new every day, I guess."

Rarity sighed dreamily, eyes half-lidded. "I wouldn't be surprised if she were going to see the lead singer, Bass Clef. He's just so handsome and... and rugged. And his singing! He has the most passionate voice I've ever heard. I would shirk my royal duties to see him."

Sweetie and Bon Bon started. Rarity blushed, coughing into her hoof. "Ahem. Sorry, I didn't mean to get so worked up. You know how I am." The dress designer flipped her mane. "Anyways, where was I...? Oh, yes. Sweetie Belle?" Rarity looked around. She spotted her little sister hiding behind her. "Do come out from behind me and say hello to Bon Bon, please." Rarity turned back to Bon Bon. "My apologies. My sister is a bit nervous about her magic lessons."

Sweetie Belle edged out from behind Rarity and mumbled a hello.

"Oh, so that's why you're here," Bon Bon realized, "yes, I believe Lyra mentioned that to me." She smiled warmly at Sweetie and motioned for her to come inside. "It's all right, Sweetie," Bon Bon laughed, "I won't bite; come on in." She then hugged Rarity again. "It was lovely to catch up, Rarity. We'll have to do it again sometime."

"Oh, let's," Rarity agreed, "I know this lovely restaurant just down the street called-"

Sweetie Belle cleared her throat before speaking up. "Uh, Rarity? Aren't you supposed to get the costumes ready?"

Rarity's eyes widened. "Oh, my goodness, I totally forgot! I've got to hurry!" The fashion-centric pony gave her sister a flustered hug. "Good-bye, Sweetie Belle. Be good!" The panicked mare turned and ran off towards the boutique, screaming about deadlines and time constraints.

Bon Bon chuckled. "Classic Rarity." She noticed Sweetie Belle was still standing uncomfortably outside the house. "Don't be shy, Sweetie. Lyra's excited to teach you."

Sweetie reluctantly stepped into the house. Looking around, Sweetie took in the homely feel of the abode. She was standing in a small entryway with a squat coat hanger next to the door, decorated with several brimmed hats for the summer season. The entryway opened up into a pleasant sitting room, which was painted a relaxing yellow. A attractive aureate table with rounded edges was the focal point of the room, surrounded by several chairs sporting intricate designs in their fabric. At the far end of the room a tarnished lyre stood proudly on a custom stand next to a sparkling harp that gleamed vividly with the sun's rays. There was a carpeted staircase situated next to the stands. A door opposite the stairs appeared to lead to a small kitchen. A simple dining room blended into the kitchen. The house smelled of candy and sweets.

"Make yourself at home in the living room, Sweetie, and I'll fetch some tea for you," Bon Bon trotted toward the kitchen, humming a tune. "Afterward, I'll track down Lyra." The sound of a teapot being set on the oven chimed in Sweetie's ears.

Sweetie took this lull in activity to imagine her tutor. Like Bon Bon, she had noticed Lyra around town before, but she had never really bothered to get friendly. She knew that Lyra had intelligent golden-brown eyes, and was pretty slim as mares went. Her cyan mane was littered with streaks of white, and her well-kept coat was a memorable aquamarine. Sweetie Belle recalled another distinguishing feature about her future mentor that wasn't related to physical appearance. Thinking, Sweetie remembered that whenever she saw Lyra, Bon Bon seemed to accompany her. In fact, as hard as she tried, Sweetie couldn't recall ever seeing the two apart. She gasped as something clicked in her head. What if Lyra and Bon Bon were in lo-?

"Hey, Sweetie Belle! What's up?"

Sweetie Belle yelped, jumping in her seat. She whirled around to find Lyra standing behind her, grinning from ear to ear. Sweetie Belle blushed furiously, partly from guilt and partly from embarrassment. Lyra laughed good-naturedly. "Gotcha! You shoulda seen the look on your face! Priceless!"

"Lyra! What did I say about treating guests respectfully?" Bon Bon walked in from the kitchen, holding a tray with a steaming teapot and several cups. Setting it down on the table, she shot Lyra an exasperated look.

Lyra walked around the table and sat in a chair across from Sweetie. She assumed her unique position on the chair, back legs dangling idly over the edge, and pouted. "Aww, but Bonnie..." whined the unicorn melodramatically. "You know I like to keep things interesting. You don't want our visitors getting bored and leaving, do you?"

Bon Bon sighed, defeated. This was clearly a common occurrence. "What am I going to do with you, Lyra?"

Lyra's eyes gleamed wickedly. "How about you give me a kis-"

"LYRA!" Bon Bon screeched, voice shifting an octave higher, "please! Not now!" The mare's cheeks were a brilliant shade of red. "You need to make a good first impression for your student and a young filly! You need to act your age!"

Lyra winked conspiratorially at Sweetie Belle. "She loves it when I tease her like that."

"I do not," Bon Bon retorted self-consciously, her deep blush belying her denial. Lyra raised a doubtful eyebrow. "I- I have to a- attend to something in the kitchen. I forgot the... the tea on the oven. I'll be right back, Sweetie," the embarrassed mare stuttered, turning and hurrying into the kitchen, temporarily forgetting that she had just set said tea on the table.

Sweetie Belle sat awkwardly through the exchange between the two possible lovers, wondering if these magic lessons were actually a good idea.

When Bon Bon had left the room, Lyra looked at Sweetie Belle eagerly. "So? Are you ready to learn magic?"

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

Celestia took hold of her own cup with her soft yellow aura and levitated it in front of her muzzle, inhaling its warmth. Tipping the cup and closing her eyes, Celestia partook in a long, slow sip, relishing in the bitter taste. After she drank, she carefully set the cup back on the table before looking at her sister.

Luna stared forlornly at her tea, it's warm steam juxtaposing the demigoddess' icy demeanor.

Celestia sighed. "Luna, what's wrong?"

Luna glanced up from her drink, briefly making eye contact. Looking away, Luna spoke. "I apologize, sister. I have just been deprived of sleep these past couple weeks, and I grow tired of being tired." The deep blue alicorn closed her eyes, breathing slowly. "You understand, sister."

Celestia studied her sister closely for a moment, noting the bags under her eyes before replying, "No, Luna, I'm afraid I do not understand. You are the Keeper of Dreams, Mistress of the Night. What could hinder you from your slumber? I daresay it would take considerable power to wake you unwillingly. You are hiding something from me, Luna."

Luna cringed. "You see right through me, sister," she relented, messaging her temples. "I will admit, I have been experiencing the most terrible visions, and they have been troubling me."

The Ruler of the Sun nodded. "Would you mind describing these dreams that ail your conscience? I feel that they may relate to our discussion."

Luna thought for a moment. "Very well. I will tell you." She paused to drink from her cup. Inhaling deeply, she looked directly at her sister, face grim and mouth drawn. "I'm afraid that a certain body has been present in all of my dreams for three weeks now. One creature I hoped I would never see again."

"Dominus de Peccatum."

"The very same. Every time I close my eyes, I see him lurking in my dreams, darkening the fringes, the edges of my visions are dark, blurry." Luna shivered. "I fear he may be close to breaking free from his prison in Tartarus."

"You worries are not unfounded, Luna. He has been gathering strength and power, and continues to become stronger as we speak. He may have already resurrected one of his sins."

"Are you quite sure, Celestia?" Luna asked nervously, "how could he already be powerful enough to bring one of his sins back?"

Celestia shook her head. "I am sure of it. The Light of Peace had been thrown off-balance by the rising of his child. The solar chains must have weakened, allowing him to regain some degree of strength."

"But how? How could he weaken the restraints you forged in the Sun?"

Frowning, the Princess of the Sun pondered the question. "Well, there are several possibilities. One, something is influencing our subjects in a negative manner, and he has been feeding off of the negative thoughts and feelings. Two, something, or someone, has made a deal with Dominus, agreeing to free him in exchange for something else. Three, the Tome of Tartarus has been unearthed by somepony, who may have accidentally released a Sin."

"All of those seem highly unlikely." Luna commented.

"I agree, but something had awakened him, and it is imperative that we find out what it was."

Luna sagged, the chandelier on the ceiling casting tired shadows on her eyes. "You are right. I do not believe we can afford to let out guard down. But, regrettably, I do not think I will be any help, sister. I am exhausted, and my power is drained due to my lack of sleep." she sighed. "As usual, I am more akin to a hindrance than a help."

"Nonsense," Celestia's voice carried authority, "you are the Princess of the Night, and my sister. You are a valuable asset and trusted friend, Luna. I will not tolerate self-loathing from a goddess." Hey voice rang with regal finality.

Luna smiled half-heartedly. "Thank you, sister. I will help in any way I can."

"Excellent. I would expect no less. Now, I will need to journey to Tartarus to confront Dominus. I might be able to reinforce his bonds. I need you to contact Twilight and her friends. Tell them they are needed at in Canterlot immediately."

Luna pushed away from the table and stood up. "It shall be done."

Celestia followed suit, beginning to walk back towards the hallway. "Thank you, Luna. We need to be quick. I am leaving immediately, and I will be occupied in Tartarus for about a week. You will act as ruler during my absence. I will also notify Cadence to come and assist you."

"Of course." Luna said, trailing her sister. "And thank you, Celestia. For giving me a chance."

Celestia smiled. "Anything for my little sis. Try not to let the power go to your head." Their hoofsteps echoed quietly off of the stone walls as they reached the door.

Luna smirked at Celestia's jab. "And I hope you don't get too hot down in Tartaru-"

The door exploded.

Celestia, reacting quickly, leaped forward and whipped her wings forward with a powerful flap, pushing back some of the heat and repelling some of the resulting shrapnel. She also cast a shield spell that enveloped herself and Luna. After the initial blast subsided, Celestia cancelled her shield and glanced back at Luna. "Are you all right, Luna?"

Luna nodded. "Yes, I am fine. But what of the door?"

Celestia turned back to the wall, a smoldering hole occupying the space where the door had been. The jagged edges of the wall near the hole glowed dangerously, simmering with heat. Smoke billowed through the doorway, obscuring the hallway behind it. Luna trotted to her sister's side. "What could've done this?"

Suddenly, a wavering figure, about the size of a pony, materialized in the smoke.

Celestia held her hoof out protectively, warning her sister to stay back.

The smoky character stood still in the hole. It was deathly quiet for several seemingly endless minutes. Finally, the smoke cleared, revealing a cloaked figure standing menacingly in the aftermath of the explosion.

Luna and Celestia assumed defensive positions, horns flaring with magic. "I will give you one warning," Celestia's voice was quiet, but laden with power. "Reveal yourself, and do not attempt any sort of trickery. I will not hesitate to engage."

A small laugh sounded, coming from everywhere and nowhere.

"Hello, Celestia."

Celestia's eyes narrowed. "Ira."

The shrouded figure wavered, and the cloak melted from existence. Luna gasped. The creature before her was a pony, but at the same time it wasn't. It was the about the same size, maybe a little bigger. It's form resembled that of a unicorn's. The creature's body wavered unnaturally, making the creature appear as a liquid, constantly flowing and transforming. Its coat was blacker than the Night itself. Its mane and tail held the appearance of molten lava, sizzling, popping with vibrant heat. Remarkably, through some arcane power, the mane and tail only flowed within a certain boundary, allowing it to hold the shape of a neat, close-cut mane. The eyes, equal in size and shape to an average pony's, were perhaps the most frightening feature. The pupils glowed a deep, bloody red, and were filled with such intense hate, such utter wrath, that Luna was hard-pressed to look away. The creature had no mouth.

"Miss me, Celestia?" Ira spoke, or, rather, thought. Her distinctly feminine voice seemed to speak directly into their minds. "Because I sure as hell didn't miss you." Ira's voice dripped with hatred. "I've been waiting for this moment for a while now. Almost four thousand years, in fact. It's very boring down in Tartarus." Her eyes narrowed and she pointed an accusatory hoof at Celestia. "And I look forward to exacting my revenge. And, as a plus, I'll make Father proud in the process." Ira lowered her head and a red light began to coalesce on her horn.

Celestia turned back to her sister. "Flee, Luna. Get Twilight. I will hold Ira off." she whispered.

Luna's eyes widened. "No, sister. I must stay and fight-"

"Go." There was no argument.

Luna nodded reluctantly, eyes still wide. She disappeared in a bright flash of blue light.

Celestia turned back to the angry demon. "I'm sorry, Ira, but you will not be enjoying your freedom for long. You cannot be allowed to roam free." Her horn charged with a intense yellow aura.

Ira roared incoherently, and she burst into a sprint towards Celestia, horn flashing a gory red. The Sun Goddess flapped her wings powerfully, propelling her toward Ira at incredible speed. Magic enveloped Celestia's horn as she closed the distance between her and the raging demon. Like two angry stars, they collided.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment