• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 1,755 Views, 6 Comments

Son of Sombra - Stargazer42



Lock Light is the adopted son of King Sombra, the one who has enslaved and ruled the Crystal Empire with an iron hoof. What will he do when he finds out his true destiny, and falls in love?

  • ...
6
 6
 1,755

King Slayer

Lock Light looked at White Lightning’s eyes “You knew,” he asked “you knew? And you never told me?”

“I did tell you brother,” White Lightning said “I told you that I could never be with you and free the slaves.”

“But it is for a nobler cause,” Lock Light said “than personal power?”

“And loyalty to father,” White Lightning retorted.

King Sombra watched the interchange down below, he was really enjoying this. He loved double crossing ponies no matter who was involved. The brothers bickered back and forth about meaningless things like freedom and equality, loyalty and trust. What did it matter to him? He was king, if his two sons wanted to kill each other off, one for freedom and the other for loyalty, who cared? He could always have more sons.

Suddenly, White Lightning darted up above Lock Light and thrusted downwards. Lock Light saw what was happening and he dodged, White Lightning following. Lock Light thrusted with his horn, Lightning parried. These weren’t just two ponies, but they were two ideas. On the one hoof, the idea that all ponies were created equal under the sun and that they deserved their freedom, on the other, centuries of traditions and direct political control and power of over their lives. Lock Light dodged to the right and avoided a kick from Lightning but returned the favor with a swift kick of his own. He clipped White Lightning’s wing and he grunted in pain, but he recovered and battered Lock Light’s head with two swift jabs from his hooves. They bit, kicked, lashed out with their horns at each other, sometimes striking, sometimes pinging off the floor or columns by the walls. The fight seemed to last forever. White Lightning spurred forward and leapt high into the air, slamming down hard with his horn and forcing Lock Light to his knees. He pushed upwards with all of his strength and used his magic to grip White Lightning’s hoof and pulled him under. White Lightning used his magic to push Lock Light forcefully off and slam into a column, causing him to slide to the floor. White Lightning redoubled his effort and fought like a dragon, Lock Light parried, dodged, and moved slowly up the steps of the throne room. When he got close to King Sombra, Sombra kicked him in the back and sent him sprawling to the ground. The king laughed like a foal as Lock Light struggled to get up. Leaping high again and using his wings for extra speed and momentum for the final blow White Lightning dove. Lock Light could hear him, but he was still too weak to get up and out of the way. Closer and closer White Lightning flew towards him, when, like spearmen lifting their pikes at the last moment, Lock Light turned around and pointed his spear at White Lightning’s stomach.

It was too late for White Lightning, having gone too fast, he couldn’t change direction, even though he saw and felt the horn pierce his side. A howl of agony and regret came from both his lips and that of King Sombra’s. Lock Light’s horn had stabbed straight through his chest and right through his rib cage. White Lightning was still on top of Lock Light, thick frothy blood oozing out of his mouth as his tongue lolled in exhaustion. He then closed his eyes.

Lock Light got up from the collapsed body. He withdrew his horn and fresh hot blood still dripped from nearly half the length of it. His eyes brimmed with tears as he whispered “I’m sorry brother.”

And then, in a dark cloud and a rushing onslaught of despair, King Sombra, in all of his fury leapt down from the throne and attacked Lock Light. He knew the game was up, if he could kill Lock Light he could end the rebellion in front of the eyes of the slave army which stood in front of him. Just as suddenly, from the west, two ponies, who looked like Pegasi, burst through the stained glass which sent millions of pieces everywhere. The slaves looked up and gasped. They had never seen two ponies who were more beautiful than this before. One was dazzling white with a flowing rainbow mane, her eyes a deep rich royal purple, the gold on her crown and on her chest gleamed in the sunlight and seemed to give radiance of its own. The other, a majestic midnight blue whose mane seemed to flow with the stars which twinkled brightly in the heavens, and whose eyes were a bright turquois. The darker one was also the fairer of the two, but the lighter one might as well have been a goddess for her regality. King Sombra stopped dead in his tracks and looked at them both. He laughed “Celestia and Luna of Equestria. I thought you two were behind all this.”

“Your reign of terror has come to an end King Sombra,” Princes Luna said “it is time that all of your subjects now be free.”

“Freedom,” King Sombra retorted “freedom, I’ve heard a lot about freedom these past couple of days, mostly from that wretched whelp.”

“You have lived on the sorrow and misery of those who serve you for far too long,” Princess Celestia said “and this day, we will defeat you King Sombra.”

“Oh how pray tell,” he said turning to face the new threat “are you going to cast a puny magic spell for love and hope? Don’t make me laugh fillies.”

Before all of their eyes, six orbs floated around Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. They spun faster and faster and faster, acting as a floating shield barrier of their own. King Sombra took a step back “What are you doing?” he asked.

“The doom of your time has come,” the two Princesses said together “your reign of terror shall come to an end!”

With that, the stone orbs light up, one red, one pink, one orange, one green, one sky blue, and one purple. They formed a glistening awe-inspiring rainbow of power which sped towards King Sombra. The two princesses eyes lit up with white fire and their horns glowed with palatial magic.

“Sombra,” they said with their voices united once more “we hereby exile you from the Crystal Empire and banish you to the cold north, never to return again!”

“Noooooooooooooooo!”

King Sombra was then hit squarely in the chest by the powerful magic and sent flying off into the nether space. From that day, for many years, Sombra was never seen or heard from again.

Lock Light rushed over to his brother’s side, White Lightning was groaning slightly and he looked up at Lock Light panting “Is it done?”

“It is finished,” Lock Light said weeping over his brother’s body “you can rest now, we’ll get you healed.”

“I can’t stay here brother,” he said struggling to his hooves.

“But your wound,” Lock Light said “please let me heal it.”

“Don’t touch me,” White Lightning said thrusting his hoof away “ever since you came into my life, it has been nothing but sadness for me. You took away everything I held dear, including my father, and now…I…I can’t live here.”

“Brother,” Lock Light pleaded “we can rule together though.”

“I’ve had enough of kings and rulers for one day,” White Lightning said “leave me.”

With that, he flared his wings for one last time, and sped off towards the mountains. Lock Light was about to go after him, when a dark hoof placed itself on his wings “Do not follow him Lock Light,” Princess Luna said.

“But why?” Lock Light asked “he’s my brother!”

“Look around you,” Princess Celestia said “do you not see the destruction which has come about this great palace and the city below it?”

“Well…”

“Your subjects will need food and shelter for the coming winter,” Princess Luna said “and you cannot let your personal emotions get in the way for the needs of the many.”

“But,” Lock Light said “I don’t want this power. I never asked for it, I never had a desire to exercise authority over ponies, I just…I wanted a simple life.”

“Sometimes,” Celestia said comfortingly “we must do that which we find uncomfortable.”

“But,” Lock Light said “we ALWAYS have a choice.”

Turning and facing his ponies, Lock Light said “Spread the word ponies. You are free!”

They cheered and erupted in a chorus of joy, dropping their weapons and hugging one another. Lock Light raised his hoof for silence “This means,” he said “that you have the right to choose for yourself. When you want to fight, whether your fight or not, what you can or can’t eat, when you sleep, when you wake up. You can do whatever pleases you.”

They cheered again, but Lock Light continued “But there are somethings which we cannot change. We can’t always have leaders and rulers who will ask you do to that which you don’t want to do. We can’t always have them in power, for as we’ve seen, a bad leader can only bring evil upon you and he will surround himself with his guards so that you cannot change what has been enacted in place. But a good ruler can bring happiness and joy…that is why, as of today, I am resigning from my office as your Prince and now your King.”

They were shocked, voices of outrage were heard and a chant of “We want Lock Light” began. Lock Light quieted them down “I know and have the feeling in my heart that you wish me to lead you,” he said “but within me, I carry a dark legacy and memory. For one cannot think of me, without thinking of King Sombra, and the evil which he brought on our great empire.”

The ponies were silent as they listened to Lock Light continuing his speech “We have fought, we have bled. We have lost friends in this great conflict…and I, have lost my brother. But we cannot let that which has been done, that which will happen, and that which is happening, determine who we are. There are something we cannot change, but there is always a choice that should be made. Is it better that I, who was given a birthright which was thrust upon me, rule over you? Or is it better that there is somepony more qualified than I? Somepony who has a great heart, who has compassion and love, who will cherish you as their children. Somepony who will do everything they can to protect you and to serve you. Somepony, who will let you be free?”

The ponies nodded and understood “That is why,” Lock Light continued “as of this day, I surrender my power and authority to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna of Equestria. They, who know what to do to bring about true happiness. They, who are compassionate and loving. They, who are the very essence of nobility itself. They will lead you to a greater and brighter future. They will lead you to one which will make the Crystal Empire shine throughout the centuries as a beacon of life and hope, light and knowledge. They will guide you through the dark times which will come many decades from now and they will lead you to victory, so that you can keep, your, freedom!”

The ponies cheered and stomped their hooves. There were chants of “We want Celestia, we want Luna” heard all throughout the room and the chant echoed loud and long, reverberating through the castle halls and across the streets of the Crystal Empire. Celestia looked at Lock Light and nodded. She turned to address her subjects, and though Lock Light wanted to listen, Princess Luna took him aside saying “That was very noble of you Lock Light.”

“Well,” Lock Light said “I’ve never been one for speeches. I always got nervous at public events.”

“Then,” she said “how about I give you an offer?”

“That depends on what it is.”

“How would you like to serve as a member of my guard?” Princess Luna suggested “I need a strong pony like you, and Celestia’s guard is all full. Mine isn’t. I need those who are brave and courageous enough to stand with me and protect the ponies of Equestria from the dangers of the night. Would you be willing?”

“Let me think about that for a little bit,” Lock Light said and turned and listened to the rest of Celestia’s speech.