• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 1,755 Views, 6 Comments

Son of Sombra - Stargazer42



Lock Light is the adopted son of King Sombra, the one who has enslaved and ruled the Crystal Empire with an iron hoof. What will he do when he finds out his true destiny, and falls in love?

  • ...
6
 6
 1,755

Lock Light is Called

The next morning Lock Light woke up with a sore headache. He stood up, and reeled back from a looking glass. On his head was…a…horn. He poked at it, it was his bones alright. But what could he do with it?

“You can cast magic spells now,” White Lightning said sounding annoyed “you’re the King’s favorite, you have to now learn magic. It’s part of being royal.”

“What do you mean?”

“You don’t remember last night?” White Lightning said “you REALLY don’t remember?”

“I…” Lock Light began but White Lightning slammed him on the floor and pressed hard with one hoof down on his chest.

“The night you ruined, my life?” he asked his voice oozing in loathing and contempt.

“White Lightning,” Lock Light said “I never meant.”

“Never meant?” White Lightning retorted “after all I did for you? Convincing father to let you live with us? Being your friend? Of being your BROTHER?!”

“I never meant…”

“What?” White Lightning “you mean, you never WANTED any of this to happen? Don’t make me laugh brother.”

“I swear by anything that I didn’t,” Lock Light said pleading “I just wanted to see how well I’d do in the tournament that’s all.”

“Your highness,” a stern voice from behind them called “unhand the Heir to the Crystal Empire at once or be thrown into prison on your father’s orders.”

“Father can go boil in a pit of lava,” White Lightning said.

“Lightning,” Lock Light said “father’s always been fair with us…”

“With YOU,” White Lightning said “you’ve always been his favorite, he even TOLD me so after the tournament yesterday. He said he was glad for an excuse to get RID of me.”

“But that’s not how I feel brother,” Lock Light said getting up “please understand…”

“I’ll never understand snakes like you,” White Lightning said stomping out of Lock Light’s bedroom “never in a thousand years.”
As he left, Lock Light said “I hope we’re around for much longer than that.”

The guard faced Lock Light and said “Prince Lock Light, if you would please accompany us to the Royal Study where your father sits and is awaiting you…”

“Very well,” Lock Light said and followed them. King Sombra was waiting for him and ordered the guards to leave. Facing Lock Light he stopped pacing and stood before him saying
“So, you are to be my new heir are you?”

“Yes, Lord King,” Lock Light said bowing.

“You have no need to do that now my son,” King Sombra said “I will teach you everything I know, from the deepest magic arts, to how to rule your subjects through fear.”

“And why must I learn that?”

“Because you will be in my place one day,” King Sombra said “and I wish for you to rule as I have ruled. That you maintain the status quo and the iron grip which we have here.”

“Yes father,” Lock Light said.

“Very well,” King Sombra said “let us begin.”
====================================================================================================

Over the next several months Sombra taught Lock Light the basics of using magic. He taught him to teleport and to lift objects, to fight with magic and to control one’s environment. He said one day “You are already a good flyer Lock Light, that was something White Lightning was never good at, you were always better, since when White Lightning was born he was a unicorn and not a Pegasus. You will be much better than he will ever be.”

Ignoring Sombra’s compliments and being ignored and avoided by White Lightning gave Lock Light a growing feeling of shame and guilt. He never wanted to be Prince, let alone king, he was fine being a friend to White Lightning, but will he ever see them as friends ever again? He hoped so. He never wanted any of this, but it happened and so he had to do it.

Sombra continued then with leadership skills and how to command armies and the tactics that were involved. Sombra was a good but harsh teacher, any mistakes which Lock Light made were punished severely and immediately. But as time passed, he grew stronger and more noble. He became handsome too, the mares of the Crystal Empire were falling in love with him. One day, as scores of mares were falling over in love, and he strode by King Sombra the king grinned at him and said “See son, it’s not bad to be one of us.”

He and White Lightning eventually got back to their old terms, but things were never quite the same between them forever. A deep underlying jealousy reigned White Lightning’s ever waking consciousness, and his one thought was to get back into his true father’s favor.

Then one day, while Lock Light was alone by himself in the Crystal Mountains, an extraordinary messenger appeared. Lock Light had often rode by himself into the Crystal Mountains, usually to ponder or to get out of the capital, but while he was resting by a pool in the forest, a tall pony with a flowing rainbow mane and large bright purple eyes with a magnificent horn walked up to him. Lock Light blinked and shook his head, but the pony kept coming towards him. Her body, wings and legs were white as ivory, and on her upper rear leg was a bright yellow sun. She wore a crown and chest piece of gold and in the center of each was a large gemstone of the most luscious and elegant purple, and her hooves were shod in gold. The light of the sun emanated from her body as her glory swept over him and a wave of love and instant trust came over him.

She looked at him and said “Hello Lock Light. It has been many years.”

“Who are you?”

“Perhaps you do not remember me,” she said “I am Princess Celestia of Equestria.”

“My lady,” he said getting up and bowing.

“Arise young prince,” she said smiling in compassion.

“I am no prince your grace,” he said stammering “merely, an accident.”

“I know,” she said “I remember when you became heir, Lock Light.”

“I see,” Lock Light said “then why are you here?”

“I understand your father has taught you many things,” she said “of what has he taught you?”

“How to rule,” Lock Light began “how to fight, how to use magic. What works and what doesn’t when governing your subjects, the various dignitaries and important ponies of our society and others and…”

“I understand,” Celestia said “But I wish to show you something which your father has not.”

“What is that?” Lock Light asked.

“Will you trust me?”

“How can I not fairest of all mares?” Lock Light said. Celestia giggled and said “Do not trust on appearances alone dear prince. I ask again, will you trust me?”

Lock Light thought for a moment “What will you show me?”

“I wish to show you what your father has created,” Celestia said “and what your real father help build. A kingdom of sadness and of slaves, a society of darkness and evil power.”

“Why do you want to show me that?”

“Because you deserve to know the truth,” she said “a good ruler always acts on the truth.”

In his mind Celestia showed him the Crystal Empire, the conditions of the slaves which worked in the mines beneath the palace, the poor and the hungry, the wretched and the weak. She showed him Equestria, how all the ponies were hardworking but happy, how they provided for themselves in a society where they truly were striving for equality and happiness. Lock Light’s heart swelled with grief and sadness as he saw foals separated from their parents, as he saw the old whipped and beaten with the young as the fires belched forth from the smelters and as black smoke choked them from the coal pits. He saw another young filly, barely out of her diapers, scrabbling around the kitchen from scraps and crumbs of food begging for the position of a scullery maid because she had brothers and sisters to care for. When the vision was over, his eyes swelled with tears and he faced Princess Celestia saying “Is it truly this evil? Or do my eyes deceive me though your magic?”

“They do not deceive you,” Celestia said “your father has built an empire on the backs of slaves and sorrow. He has either already happened, or is happening. He destroys families, he murders those who do not agree with him, all for his own power and control.”

“But he took me in,” Lock Light said “that must count for something surely.”

“He saw the incompetence of his only son,” Celestia said “everything he saw and did for you was pre-planned. Nothing was by chance. Not even the death of your father.”

“You mean,” Lock Light said “he murdered my father?”

“Not personally no,” Celestia said “but he created the circumstances in which your father died. Many predators have been forced to move south and downwards from the mountains because their prey was driven in that direction. The Chimera which killed your father, was actually being hunted by Sombra’s nobles that day, and they drove it in that direction. It was already in a maddened and wounded state when it confronted your father.”

Lock Light couldn’t believe all he was hearing, his entire life, was a mere dream. Lock Light looked at Celestia’s divine radiance and asked her “Does he love no one then?”

“None but himself,” Celestia declared “Sombra is only pure evil and will do nothing to achieve his own glory and his own ends. None but him shall have true power. Did you not see how he set your brother against you?”

“He MEANT to do that?” Lock Light exclaimed “surely not!”

“He did,” Celestia said “King Sombra saw you grow into a strong and powerful pony, a fast flyer, and an intelligent and creative thinker. All of the attributes of a real king. The tournament was a means to an end, he knew that when it came down to it, that his son would lose to you. However, he also saw and sees that your bond with each other is close, too close, for his comfort, and so he created this environment to separate you two. The more you keep fighting, the more he can wield his control over you.”

“But this can’t be,” Lock Light said walking towards Celestia “I still don’t believe it.”

“Lock Light,” Celestia said “that is why I asked you to trust me. I knew your father well, even from the time he was a foal. He was brave and courageous, and would want you to do the right thing.”

“How could you POSSIBLY have known my father? And what does HE have to do with it?” Lock Light raged.

“I am old as time itself,” Celestia said “from the time before the dawning of the sun for which I am named after, from the time before King Sombra I have lived and still live. I knew your father, for I am immortal, as you are now.”

“What do you mean?”

“You became immortal when you became an Alicorn,” Celestia said “whether willingly or unwillingly, you can now never die. There is deep magic flowing within you which you must learn to control, but a teacher such as King Sombra can only teach you the wrong lessons and what NOT to do.”

“How do you know?” Lock Light said furiously “you WILLINGLY became an Alicorn. This magic was forced upon me.”

“Yes,” Celestia said “but you can still learn to control it. Think of all of the good you could do. Think of the freedom of the slaves, the equality for all ponies in the Empire. Surely, that is a more noble cause than any personal power which Sombra could give you?”

“But he’s MY father,” Lock Light said “he took me in and raised me, even if it WAS planned. I was able to HAVE a life because of him, and not die in despair and grief.”

“I know Lock Light,” Celestia said “but you can give happiness to others. What good is personal happiness if you steal it from others, when it is something to be shared? My sister and I rule together, and not only are we happy, but our subjects are also happy. The Crystal Empire can be the same, but only if you will it so.”

“Wishing won’t bring us anything,” Lock Light said pacing “wishing only gives us dreams which cannot be achieved.”

“All dreams are possible,” Celestia said.

“Not the ones which I have,” Lock Light said as he stopped pacing “of seeing my mother, my father again. Of getting rid of this stupid horn which has ruined my life.”

“Use your power for good Lock Light,” Celestia said “it can be done, for I will help you.”

“How?”

“First you must try and convince your brother,” Celestia said “and then, my sister and I will show you.”

Lock Light saw the sun begin to fade and Celestia ascended with several strokes of her powerful wings “Meet me in Canterlot dear prince,” she said “and I will show you more.”

Lock Light watched her go, until she was merely a bright speck, as if the first star of the morning had appeared. He decided that he must go back. When he arrived at the Crystal Castle it was night time and the torches of the guards were lit.

He bumped into White Lightning who was watching the stars. Lock Light looked at him and asked “Brother, may I speak with you?”
“Surely,” he said and Lock Light proceeded to tell White Lightning everything he’d seen and heard.

“Come with me brother,” Lock Light pleaded “you and I, we are both Alicorns like Celestia and Luna, surely we, as they rule as sisters over Equestria can rule together here as brothers?”

“But wouldn’t that be betraying the memory of father?” White Lightning said “He gave me life and you a new one. If we betray him now, we’d be giving up everything he’s built, both the great as well as the evil. Apart from that, we are already conspiring against the king.”

“But brother,” Lock Light interjected “what good is great or even good if your subjects are unhappy? I used to not see it, and I understand that you don’t know as well for I didn’t know, but Celestia has shown me the hearts and minds of our subjects in a way that I’ve never seen them before. I wish to bring smiles to their faces, and warm their hearts. This cannot be if their necks are tethered by chains.”

“Surely brother,” White Lightning said “you are a sentimentalist, how can one show you the heart and mind of another?”

“As certain as I know that both you and I are good,” Lock Light said “I have seen it. I know that you are doubting merely because you have not seen what I have been shown. I wish I had her power to show you as well.”

“Perhaps she has deceived you brother,” White Lightning said.

“I believe her brother,” Lock Light “as assuredly as I see you standing before me right at this moment.”

“But,” White Lightning interjected “father has said that all civilizations, all kingdoms, all powers, are built on the backs of others, why should ours not be any different?”

“Is it better,” Lock Light asked rhetorically “that a kingdom be built on the cracking of whips and the groaning of slaves than to be built together with all subjects as equals?”

“Even in the eyes of a king?”

“Yes brother,” Lock Light said “even if that means giving up being or ever becoming a king, is not the happiness of others greater than any power that you or I could ever hold by sitting on…on…a decorated chair?”

“The throne represents more than just power brother,” White Lightning said “as does our scepter and our justice. We, who have governed this kingdom..”

“Have governed it too harshly,” Lock Light interrupted

“…Have actually done rather well,” White Lightning said “these…all of these our subjects, are nothing but the grass which we tread beneath our hooves.”

“Yet it IS upon the grass that we feed upon,” Lock Light said “without the grass we cannot survive.”

“So you are suggesting brother,” White Lightning “that we let the grass grow over the streets and cobblestones?”

“No brother,” Lock Light said “not to let the grass grow wild beneath our hooves, for that is anarchy, and without order, one cannot have freedom. But what I am saying is that we let the grass grow, and then we trim, we make things beautiful and expand. Certainly, this is a better dream than anything which we can achieve by force?”

“But it is a dream brother,” White Lightning interjected.

“But it is happening in Equestria brother,” Lock Light said “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have achieved what we can do as well. What we can dream!”

White Lightning stopped pacing and faced Lock Light “Brother,” he said “you know I love you right?”

“Of course,” Lock Light said “I know that with all my heart.”

“Then brother,” White Lightning said “I must let you know. I can’t side with you.”

“But why?”

“Because,” White Lightning said “regardless of what happens between us, I’ll always love you. But…I can’t be with you on this. I…I can’t fight against father.”

“But it’s the right thing to do,” Lock Light pleaded “I know it is in my heart. YOU’VE always have said that I had a good disposition on situational awareness. I know that this is the right thing to do.”

“Brother,” White Lightning his eyes watering with tears “I just…can’t.”

Lock Light walked up to him to try and embrace him, but White Lightning pushed him away “Go brother,” he said “go now and I won’t tell father.”

Lock Light opened his mouth to speak, but White Lightning turned away and walked back towards the Crystal Castle. With that, Lock Light hung his head, flared his wings, and flew off into the night.

King Sombra looked down and glowered at the courtyard where White Lightning and Lock Light met. He pondered over the words he heard. So, he thought Lock Light wants a rebellion does he? Well, we’ll see about that. He stepped back and into the palace out of sight. He’d let Lock Light go, oh yes, he’d let him go and raise an army, let him think that he could win, and then he, King Sombra, would bash his skull in and it’ll be the last thing he ever saw.
===================================================================================================

Lock Light’s eyes watered up with tears as he sped off into the night. Celestia was right, White Lightning’s heart was turned to stone as was his fathers. He didn’t know what to do, but he knew that whatever he did, it would have to be the right one. On and on he flew, southward, over the Crystal Mountains, over the waterfalls of Rainbow Falls, through the mists of Cloudsdale and upwards onto the top spire of Canterlot. Princess Luna was asleep, but Princess Luna was watching the night. He landed and she greeted him “Lock Light,” she said surprise “I didn’t expect to see you here. It’s rather dangerous.”

Panting Lock Light spoke “I know princess, but I had to see you and your sister, immediately.”

“Of course,” Princess Celestia said stepping out into the night “what is it son of Sombra?”

“I’ve agreed to your plans,” Lock Light said “the reign of King Sombra must end, and it is for the good of the Crystal Empire.”

He prostrated himself before them “I offer my services to you as your slave.”

Celestia raised him to his feet “You are a Prince, Lock Light,” she said “you were never a slave and shall never be a slave. Your father is the only one who brought slavery to the Crystal Empire. He became corrupt and let his power consume him. The same won’t happen to you.”
“But my lady,” he began.

Princess Luna interrupted him “You are equal to us Lock Light, both in magic and in influence. But unlike your father and unfortunately your brother, you can now use that influence and magic for the good of your subjects, as we do.”

“I see princess,” he said “what will you have me do?”

“I will give you insight into what your subjects truly feel,” Princess Celestia said “I will have you live for a while with their pain.”

“And I,” Princess Luna said “will haunt your dreams with theirs, so that you may feel the sting of the whips and the pain which Sombra causes your subjects.”

“But,” Lock Light said “why lady?”

“For it is expedient that you,” Princess Luna said “should understand completely as we understand, so that the choice to do what’s right, will come easy to you.”

The next day the slaves were back to work. Groaning under their loads and the cracks of whips could be heard. Lock Light awoke in his bedroom, feeling strangely exhausted, as if everything from the night before was a dream. The wagons creaked and the wheels rattled over the cobblestones built over the centuries. White Lightning knocked and entered, Lock Light grinned up at him “Hello,” he said cheerily.

“Do you not remember last night?” White Lightning asked.

“Was it how I think it went?”

“Unfortunately yes,” White Lightning said sitting down at the foot of his bed “and I’ve rethought what I said.”

“You have?” Lock Light said sitting bolt upright.

“Yes,” White Lightning said resolutely “I will not have our kingdom suffer any longer under father. If Princess Celestia and Luna can do it, than so can you and I. We can erase the memory of Sombra forever from these halls. We can make them once more a place of life, and music, of laughter and when the minstrels sang the poems and sagas of olden times. We can make this a hall of feasting, a castle of celebration and happiness. No more will our subjects be given chains, nor will they be given heavy loads. They will not be given more than they can bare, and you and I brother, together, we will work beside them. We’ll show our ponies that we are two Princes who can make change.”

Lock Light got up, and embraced White Lightning, weeping silently “Brother,” he said “I had feared the worse when you first came in here. I love you dearly, and would never have raised a hoof against you, even in battle.”

“And neither would I to you dear brother,” White Lightning said “shall we break our fast?”

“Yes,” Lock Light said and they both got up and went to breakfast.

Servant mares dressed and prepared the tables, serving food for the noble ponies of the court. Lock Light looked at one, a pretty young pony who was giving wine to the goblets they were drinking out of. One of the Dukes trips her and makes her trip, spilling the wine everywhere. The Duke got a little splash on his coat and stood bolt up right shouting “You clumsy fool!” and looked as if he were about to lay out a vicious kick at her. In Lock Light’s heart swelled terror, sadness, and a thousand different emotions which he had never felt before. A deep, deep sadness, as her emotions were torn asunder. He reached over with his magic, and held back the hoof that was prepared to strike, the Duke looked around and back at the young prince. White Lightning stood up “Lock Light,” he asked “what are you doing?”

“I won’t let you hit her,” he replied grinding his teeth “I won’t let you harm a slave just because your joke went badly and you’re a sore loser.”
“Unhoof me this instant!” the Duke bellowed “King Sombra, your son is being insulant to me!”

King Sombra merely laughed uproariously as the rest of the court joined in. Wiping some tears from his eyes and slamming his hoof on the table he said “And rightly so Duke Swift Chaser. He IS my son after all, and well, you must admit, HIS joke was certainly better than YOURS.”
Furious, Duke Chaser turned around and faced Prince Lock Light “Your highness,” he said “I must insist that you unhoof me this very instant!”
“Only,” Lock Light said “if you apologize to the mare.”

“Apologize?” Duke Chaser indignantly exclaimed “apologize? Are you serious? To…to…a slave?”

“Either apologize to her,” Lock Light said “or never eat properly again.”

There was a moment’s pause, and then reluctantly, Duke Chaser spat “I’m sorry girl.”

She had been wiping up the wine, curtsied, and dashed out of the room weeping down the passage way. Lock Light glowered at Duke Chaser “Shame,” he said “for shame your grace, to use such authority so as to pick on a lowly slave. Surely you are better than that?”

“Your highness,” Duke Chaser said “I will NOT be lectured by YOU.”

“Surely,” White Lightning said standing by his brother “you would not insult the HEIR to the throne would you not? After all, even without father’s permission, YOU can be removed from office Duke Chaser.”

Spluttering Duke Chaser spoke impeaching the king “But your grace?”

“My sons have all the authority that I do,” King Sombra retorted “ever since they became Alicorns and you did not your grace. They ARE the very essence of royalty and are my sons. If they wish to remove you from office, then they have the power to do so.”

Duke Chaser glared from one to the other, and then lowered his eyes and sank to one knee “My apologize your highness,” he said to Lock Light pleading “the wine had gotten to me, and I was out of turn.”

Once again, Lock Light, strangely, could feel remorse, drunken remorse, but all the same, it was genuine. He looked at the Duke “Your eminence,” he said “you and I need not quarrel in the future over a silly thing as apologizing to a slave girl. Do you swear by your allegiance to my father and your allegiance to the Crystal Empire, that you will never harm another slave again?”

“I…,” Duke Chaser began, and then seeing the look from White Lightning he finished “I swear.”

“Good,” Lock Light said “then rise and continue to break your fast with us your grace.”

King Sombra laughed loud and long again, slapping his thighs so hard that they clanged off his armor. He looked at Lock Light “You did well my son,” he said “you did very well. All though, I have the final say in this matter don’t you forget.”

“Father?”

“I have full authority here, at this table, and at any other table within the boundaries of the Crystal Empire,” King Sombra said “your judgement was just, but his grace the Duke Chaser disturbed my breakfast. Therefore, your eminence, I hereby remove you from your office and make you a common slave. Guards, strip him of his symbols of office and give him the symbols of his new one.”

He laughed again and Lock Light turned furiously on the king when the door was shut “Why did you do that father?”

“Did what?”

“What do you mean did what?” Lock Light said disgruntled “the Duke posed no threat to us anymore.”

“Answer me this,” King Sombra said “and I’ll answer your question. Why did you all of a sudden take an interest in a puny little slave girl?”

“I don’t know father,” Lock Light said “I…I suddenly just feel things. The mare, for example, her sadness and her terror when she looked into my eyes, the fear and…passionate loathing she had for me…for us, all of us. It swelled in my heart to where I couldn’t just sit by and do nothing.”

“Your heart?” King Sombra said laughing again and standing up he continued “Learn this lesson early my son for when you finally become king yourself. A good king mustn’t ever let his emotions get in the way or cloud his judgement. The Duke I dismissed was dismissed of course for disturbing my breakfast, but more importantly, his region of my empire has been slack of late in the production of the raw materials needed to make the slave wagons and clothing for my soldiers. How can my army face down the winter without proper clothing? Without our army, we are nothing, and you ALWAYS, must take care of your soldiers first before anyone else.”

“What about your family father?” Lock Light interjected.

“Family is always taken care of,” King Sombra continued “family, and then your army. If you lead them right, your army is like your family. Everything about it is an interworking clock, when a cog breaks in the mechanism, the whole thing stops working until it’s repaired.”

“And is it better,” Lock Light interrupted “that the whole clock be polished and respected? That every gear and cog is maintained and if possible strengthened? Just like the stones which protect us in this wall, if they were not all working together and supporting one another, do you not think that it would be better and support everyone?”

“What are you saying Lock Light?”

“I’m saying,” Lock Light began but he realized he’d gone to far but had to continue “why not free all the slaves father. Think of it, the more freed slaves you have, the more soldiers you have for our army, the more conquests and lands we can add to our great empire. The more the ponies are free, then the less we have to worry about them uprising against us.”

“Do you fear the slaves my son?”

“I fear many things father,” Lock Light said “but one thing I do fear most above all else, is losing everything I know and love. You, my brother, this Empire, this castle. Everything can be lost in a single moment if we do not lead by a better example and do what is right.”

“Who has been feeding you these lies?”

“No one father,” Lock Light said, wishing desperately to protect Celestia and Luna’s names from King Sombra “I came up with these ideas.”

“No you didn’t,” King Sombra shouted “I desire to know the names prince! Who told you these things?”

“I thought them myself,” Lock Light said stamping firmly. White Lighting, always a cooler head and often a mediator between the two, then stepped in.

“Father,” White Lightning said placing a hoof on Lock Light’s shoulder “what brother is perhaps desiring would be very simple and logical. I say this not because I am merely his brother, but I do see the wisdom in treating our slaves better.”

“What wisdom is that first son?”

“Father,” White Lightning said “our forces are spread thin throughout the Empire and are stationed on the border lands. If the slaves were to revolt, and that is a large if, then we would be in a too weakened state to strike back. May I suggest something?”

“What?”

“How about we either do one of two things,” White Lightning said “I understand that we can’t simply free all of the slaves. They wouldn’t know what to do with their freedom. How about we gradually give them their freedom? Or allow them to win it in some way?”

“Such as?”

“May I humbly suggest that the slaves be allowed to enter into the Imperial Army for a term of service,” White Lightning continued “to be determined by you and upon completion of that service, to be granted their freedom or, we could simply have them work less, but over a longer period of time.”

“They already work for a long time,” King Sombra said “they work for life!”

“Yes,” White Lightning said “but if we were to perhaps shorten their day, but maybe double their loads, or lighten their loads and have them work longer, possibly, even pay them in some way, double rations for the work load, or maybe even a coin or two. That would encourage them to work even more because they are getting rewarded for their service.”

“That is indeed wishful thinking son,” King Sombra said “anyways, HOW in the Crystal Empire did we get on this subject?”

“You made the former Duke Chaser a slave father,” Lock Light reminded him “for disturbing your breakfast.”

“Ah,” King Sombra said “yes. Well, perhaps that WAS a bit too irrational for a consequence for the Duke. I do believe that the punishment will suffice, but I will make it temporary. Scribe!”

A scribe near galloped into the court room and skidded to a halt before Sombra’s throne saying “Yes sire?”

“Take this note down to my dictation,” King Sombra said “firstly, I decree that from hence forth, all slaves shall have to be given double the
work load, but given half of the work time. And secondly, after a fortnight of slave labor, the Duke Chaser may regain his title and his office.”

He looked at Lock Light and White Lightning “Are you satisfied now my sons?”

“Only one more thing father,” Lock Light said “I desire to not only know the name of the slave girl who was humiliated today, but I also want her as my own personal slave.”

“Very well,” King Sombra “now go away, I’ve had enough politics that I’m not hungry anymore and want to be left alone.”

With that, everyone in the banquet hall left and the servant girls cleaned up everything as the two princes also left.

There’s too much going on between those two, King Sombra thought far too much.