• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 610 Views, 6 Comments

This looked easier on paper. - TheOctoWriter



Spike has always dreamed of becoming a badass warrior that fights monsters and saves princesses... but can he really do it?

  • ...
1
 6
 610

Chapter 5- The end of the first day.

Spitfire paused for a few minutes.

Just when Spike had started to get a little time to plan, Spitfire gave the signal to begin.

"Alright. Begin!" Spitfire yelled out.

Gummy dashed towards Spike.

He was so fast that Spike had little time to react when he saw Gummy swing his sword at him.

Spike still managed to barely block it.

"Good... Spike." Gummy said as he kept slashing at Spike.

"You're actually not dying yet!"

Spike tried to reply but he was too busy trying to get Gummy away from him.

He decided to attack.

Spike started to swing his blade at Gummy too.

The clash of metal and heavy breathing of the two fighters were heard.

"Enough games! Let's end this!" Gummy said as he jumped in the air for an aerial blitz.

All Spike could do was try to block this flurry of sword slashes.

Unfortunately Spike lost his footing due to a particularly heavy downwards sword smash.

Spike started to stumble and the crowd gasped.

Sunset started biting her lip.

"You can do it Spike I believe in you!" Sunset yelled, surprising everyone in the room. Especially Spike.

Spike then rolled out of the way as Gummy came down with another leaping slash.

He then sprinted towards Gummy.

Spike raised his sword in preparation to swing when suddenly.

"STOP!" Spitfire yelled.

"That's enough!"

"This is a sparring match not a death battle!"

Spike lowered his sword and put it away. it was dangerously close to Gummy's neck.

Gummy on the other hand got up off the ground, he was getting ready to block Spike's attack.

He sheathed his sword as well.

"Good job everypony!" Spitfire said.

"Come back tomorrow to spar some more!"

Gummy held out his claw.

Spike shook it.

"Good match Spike."

"You too Gummy."

"But mark my words Spike, next time I won't let you win that easily..." Gummy said coldly.

Oh man... if that was him showing mercy. I don't want to see him when he's serious. Spike thought both in shock and anger.

"You're just joking right?" Spike said with a nervous laugh.

He started sweating a little when he saw Gummy just stare back at him.

Gummy then walked away.

Sunset raced down the bleachers to congratulate Spike.

"Good job Spike!" Sunset said happily.

"Thanks Sunset." Spike said with a sheepish smile.

"Well Sunset I gotta go to my next class." Spike said.

"Ok Spike, see you later." Sunset said with a smile as she waved goodbye.

"Bye Sunset." Spike said as he walked out of the gym.

He walked to the English building, noticing the rather interesting castle tower like design.

Spike walked into the class and took a seat.

"Good evening everyone, I am Luna P. Comet. But all of you will refer to me as Princess Luna."

"IS THAT MADE CLEAR?!" Luna said addressing her students with the royal canterlot voice.

"YES PRINCESS LUNA." The class shouted back.

"Good!" Luna said happily.

"Now can anyone explain to me what they think Chivalry is?" Luna asked.

"Anyone at all?"

The class just looked around and shrugged.

"That's okay. Chivalry is a special code for Knights."

"It dictates how they act in social situations, their morals, and even their religion."

"Now knowing that there is a variety of ponies and even a dragon here. I won't force you to follow the religious part."

"But you will learn about the moral and social norms."

Luna then cleared her throat.

"Chivalry is when a knight helps those in need."

"For example, when you see a young mare get harassed. What do you do?"

"You help her out?" A unicorn answered not really sure of his answer.

"Yes! That's correct." Luna said with a smile.

"But what about the social aspects? Well a knight must show manners to whoever he is addressing."

"Whether it be royalty or not."

"Unless it's a monster or dragon or even some supernatural abomination."

"Then you can call it whatever you want."

"But princess, isn't that contradicting the first rule of the social code?" A pegasus asked, clearly confused.

"Shut up! I know these things!" Luna shouted.

"I mean, hush now, who's the teacher here?"

"You are?" The pegasus answered uneasily.

"Yes, I am." Luna said calming down again.

"Alright, class dismissed."

"Already?! But we've barely been here for 5 minutes!" One student complained.

"You'll learn more from actual experience. Trust me on this." Luna said as she waved goodbye to the students and left.

Spike gave a unamused look and continued to his next class.

He walked into the classroom to find Fluttershy there.

"Hi Fluttershy." Spike said smiling as he saw yet another familiar face.

"Oh hello Spike. How have you been?" Fluttershy asked.

"I've been doing well." Spike said.

"That's wonderful Spike. I hope you enjoy my class." Fluttershy said a bit nervous.

"It's taught by Ponyville's residential dragon expert, how could I not enjoy it?" Spike said with a sheepish grin.

"I don't know that much about dragons..." Fluttershy said.

"Heh, you're just being modest."

"No spike, I don't..." Fluttershy started to say, looking rather distressed.

"Sorry about that, I shouldn't have say that." Spike said looking guilty.

"Oh no Spike, it's okay." Fluttershy said smiling.

Then students started coming into the classroom.

"Please take a seat Spike. Class will begin shortly." Fluttershy said motioning to the seats.

"Ok, I'll talk to you later then Fluttershy." Spike said as he went to go sit down.

"hi.. everypony I'm fluttershy and I'll be your teacher today." Fluttershy said quietly.

No one really paid attention to her except for Spike.

The rest of the class continued to talk amongst themselves.

"Quiet down now students and pay attention." Fluttershy said a bit louder.

The students still didn't pay attention.

Finally, Fluttershy sighed and then yelled. "HEY PAY ATTENTION! I'M YOUR TEACHER!"

Everypony turned towards Fluttershy's direction, immediately paying attention to her.

"Good now that I have your attention welcome to dragon fighting class." Fluttershy said reverting back to her quiet self.

"What did she say?" One unicorn said.

"I dunno." Another unicorn said.

"Professor, please speak up." A pegasus say politely.

"Welcome to Dragon Fighting class. I'm your instructor Flutter L Shy. But all of you can call me Miss Shy if you want." Fluttershy said speaking louder.

She then paused for a few minutes before she drew a dragon on the board.

"Can anypony tell me what this is?" Fluttershy asked.

"It looks like a dragon." One pony said.

"That's right."

"Now can anypony tell me how to fight one?" Fluttershy then asked.

"Anypony have any tactics or strategies?"

When she was met with blank stares and shrugs she continued.

"You strike at the one place they are most vulnerable at, the heart..."

"So we stab at their heart and rip it out! right?" One enthusiastic pegasus said.

"Goodness, no." Fluttershy replied with a shocked look.

"You get the dragon to experience extreme emotion, like sadness, grief, or depression. Then you run away."

"Wait, but what about killing it?" The pegasus asked still confused.

"I've never done that, in fact no pony has. So you'll have to figure that out on your own."

"What?! Are you serious?" A earth pony asked in disbelief.

"I'm very serious." Fluttershy replied with a stern look.

"Class is dismissed." Fluttershy said as the still very confused class exited the classroom.

Spike left feeling somewhat disappointed.

Well, it is the first day. Spike thought.

Can't expect too much.

Spike made his way to the courtyard for his next class.

He then saw someone that made him almost have a heart attack.

Is that Tirek?! Spike thought in a mild panic.

I gotta warn the princesses. Spike thought as he began to run off.

"Wait dragon, don't be afraid. I mean you no harm." Tirek said, his voice sounding a lot less gravelly.

"You're not gonna hurt me?" Spike asked, still afraid.

"No."

"But why?"

"When I was imprisoned in Tartarus, Celestia decide to give me a choice.

"Either finish my sentence or promise to reform myself and teach at this academy."

"I certain you know which one I chose."

"And everypony is ok with this?" Spike asked confused.

"Yes, Celestia has promised to tell all the ponies that stay here of my new status."

"So what class do you teach?" Spike asked somewhat curious.

"You'll find out in a few minutes."

Just then the rest of the class arrived.

"Welcome to Battle Tactics, I'm Tirek. I'll be your instructor." Tirek said smiling.

Excited cheers and some nervous chatter were heard.

"Would anyone like to start?" Tirke asked.

"Anypony at all?"

"Hmm... how about you?" Tirek said pointing to Spike.

"Me?!" Spike said sounding nervous.

"Yes you."

"Come up here." Tirek said as he motioned for Spike to come to the front and face him.

"Ok, when I give the signal we will begin sparring." Tirek said.

Spike drew his sword and prepared himself.

"3, 2, 1... Begin!" Tirek said as he sprinted towards Spike.

Tirek started swinging his big meat clubs at Spike furiously.

Spike was slashing at his arms trying to get him to stop.

"Class, the first rule of Battle Tactics is to find a weakness in your opponent." Tirek said as he continued trying to punch Spike.

Spike jumped in the air and tried to slash at Tirek's face.

Tirek blocked his slashes and tried to grab Spike.

Spike managed to get away and land on the ground safety.

He then went for Tirek's legs when Tirek started pounding the ground in a attempt to make Spike lose his balance.

"Be careful not to left yourself open." Tirek said.

Spike staggered a little but didn't stumble.

However due to the shaking ground, Tirek had managed to grab Spike while he was distracted.

"When you have your opponent at your mercy finish the fight!" Tirek said as he faked the motion of slamming Spike onto the ground.

He then let Spike hop back onto the ground.

"Come back next time!" Tirek said after he dismissed the class.

Spike then walked to his final class of the day.

It would be a challenge for him to pay attention, because his instructor is Rarity.

"Good evening everyone I'm Rarity T. Diamond."

"But you can all call me Miss. Diamond."

"Welcome to your Social Etiquette class." She said smiling.

Everypony smiled back at her.

"Can anypony tell me what social etiquette is?" Rarity asked as she looked around.

"Anyone?"

"It's how you're suppose to act in social situations right?" A unicorn sitting up front said.

"Correct!" Rarity said.

"It is everything from eating properly to showing respect when speaking with others."

Rarity then listed various examples of proper tableware adjustment to how a pony should chew in the company of others.

It confused everypony that saw these diagrams.

But they decided to smile and nod politely as not to offend their professor.

The biggest pet peeve as Rarity put, is when a lady got all dirty and covered in muck and grime.

She pointed out the correct way a lady would clean the type of dress or shoe she was wearing.

And she pointed out how the stallions would behave on dates and what they should and shouldn't pay for.

Eventually it started to get boring to everypony, but Rarity continued to ramble on.

Then she said.

"Okay class! It's time to go! Class is dismissed!" Rarity said to the sounds of various cheers.

Spike snapped out of his daze.

He had heard something about being proper then nothing, he just daydreamed about Rarity the entire time of the class.

Spike got up and left the classroom in guilt for not actually paying attention to what Rarity taught.

He then went back to his room.

Spike showered and lay on his bed.

He decided to sleep.

Hopefully it will get better. Spike said to himself as he drifted off.