• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 610 Views, 6 Comments

This looked easier on paper. - TheOctoWriter



Spike has always dreamed of becoming a badass warrior that fights monsters and saves princesses... but can he really do it?

  • ...
1
 6
 610

Chapter 2- Adjusting to life at the academy.

"This room is our weapons room." Celestia said.
Spike stared in awe at all the different types of weapons lining the walls.
There were crossbows and swords.
Staffs and axes.
Even daggers and maces.
Spike then noticed some glass displays.
"Princess Celestia, if you don't mind me asking, what are in those display cases?" Spike asked politely.
"Excellent question Spike." Celestia said.
"Those display cases house powerful enchanted gems." Celestia explained.
"Gems?!..." Spike said trying not to drool.
"Yes Spike but don't worry. We have more than enough food to satisfy your hunger." Celestia said with a chuckle.
"But I wasn't going to eat them." Spike said.
"Of course you weren't going to... you would never." Celestia said failing to contain her laughter.
"Princess..." Spike said embarrassed.
"Only teasing Spike. Only teasing..." Celestia reassured.
"But I digress..." Celestia said.
"You will learn to use those gems too. They will help in the battles ahead." Celestia said knowingly.
"Battles?!"
"I'm gonna have to fight for real?" Spike said slightly sweaty.
"Yes Spike, and I'm afraid to say there may be a good chance of you dying out there." Celestia said bluntly.
"Dying?!!" Spike exclaimed in panic, sweat pouring out of him.
"But do not fret young Spike, if you follow our teachings here. It will prepare you for the trails ahead."
"Although, you must remember one important thing when you are out there." Celestia said.
"What is it?" Spike asked.
"Have faith in your own judgement." Celestia replied.
"No amount of teaching can prepare a knight who only relies on book theory."
"You must practice! And take action!" Celestia said enthusiastically as she pulled a sword off the wall and swung it downwards.
"WAH!" Spike cried out as he was almost struck by the blade.
Celestia's cheeks turned read.
"Sorry about that Spike, I guess I got a little too excited." Celestia said embarrassed.
"And clumsy..."
"It was unprofessional."
"It's okay Princess, I've still got all my limbs." Spike said with a laugh.
"Alright then, let's leave before I accidentally chop when I should have sheathed." Celestia said with worry.
"Y-you're only joking right?" Spike asked slightly sweating.
"Nope, after what almost happened back in the weapons room I don't want to take any chances." Celestia said.
Spike swallowed and followed Celestia nervously.
"Up ahead, we have our alchemy room." Celestia said.
"Cool..." Spike said as he looked inside.
There were various potion making stations, test tubes, and beakers.
"What's this do?" Spike said as he reached for a bubbling beaker.
"Don't touch that!" Celestia said in a worried voice.
"You could have cause a chemical meltdown if you weren't careful."
"Sorry, I was just curious." Spike said.
"Well, there will be more time to experiment with those chemicals, but for now we have to finish the tour." Celestia said.
Spike nodded and followed Celestia.
"This room is our weapon tech room." Celestia said.
"Whoa... that's awesome!" Spike said as he saw scientists debating which weapon design blueprint they would use.
"So, I won't use the same weapons over and over again." Spike asked.
"Correct, our weapon specialists and scientists are always looking for ways to improve their designs and functions." Celestia said.
"C'mon Spike, you'll have more time to explore after the tour." Celestia said as she saw him pressed up against the glass.
"Sorry about that, I just can't help but get excited! This is so awesome!" Spike said happily.
"I'm glad you're enthusiastic." Celestia said.
"I remember that one of our new students didn't share the same amount of joy in coming here."
"What happened?" Spike asked curious.
"He was a black and red unicorn, called himself raven darkblood moon, something of that sort." Celestia said shuttering.
"Anyway, on a brighter note, look! We've arrived at the mess hall!" Celestia announced.
Spike's stomach growled.
"I see someone's hungry..." Celestia said giggling.
"Yup, a growing dragon's gotta eat." Spike said with a big smile.
"C'mon let's get something in your stomach..." Celestia said as they sat down to eat some lunch.
Spike ordered a big bowl of gems of varying color.
While Celestia just ate a simple salad.
"Spike, I'm curious as to why you volunteered to become a knight?" Celestia asked nibbling on a leaf.
"Well..." Spike said as he swallowed.
" I wanna protect others." Spike replied bluntly.
"Is that really the reason why?" Celestia asked.
"Yeah!" Spike said smiling.
How interesting... in all my years this is the first time I've had a student tell me this. Celestia thought.
They usually become knights become they wanted some type of fame or glory.
Some did it for the bits.
Others didn't have a choice in the matter.
They were there because of conscription.
"Spike are you finished with your meal?" Celestia asked.
"Yup!" Spike said.
"That was some good grub!"
"I'm glad you enjoyed it, shall we continue the tour?" Celestia asked.
"Lead the way Princess!" Spike said.
"And as you can see, we have our student housing over here." Celestia said as she rounded a corner.
"Whoa!" Spike said as he stared at all the designs of the doors.
"And if you'll follow me Spike I'll show you to your room." Celestia said as she waited for Spike.
Celestia opened the door to a room with a shield surrounded by green flame.
The name Spike was carved below the emblem.
Spike walked inside and looked around his room.
There was a writing desk.
A closet.
And a medium sized bed.
He even saw a bathroom as well.
What was unusual was the weapon rack on the side of the wall.
"Um... is that suppose to be there?" Spike asked pointing to the weapon rack.
"Of course! Where else would you put your training weapons?" Celestia questioned.
"Oh... heh heh! Just wondering..." Spike said clearly still confused.
"Haha! You're quite the joker Spike!" Celestia said with a smile.
" I'm I forgetting something?,,, oh yes! Here is your uniform." Celestia said as she opened up the closet.
A plain white shirt, blue pants, brown finger-less gloves greeted him.
"Heh... this is awesome." Spike said trying not to said disappointed.
"Great! Welcome to the academy Spike!" Celestia said with a big smile.
"I'm glad you've chose to stay with us."
"Thank you Princess." Spike said.
"If you'll excuse me, I have some princess duties to attend to." Celestia said as she excused herself.
"Wait princess! What about classes or training?! Where do I go?!!" Spike asked.
"Check you schedule! It will have all the information and times there!" Celestia said as she hurried off.
Spike took a look at the schedule.
Spike A. Sparkle
DOB: 7/10/1845
ID#: A058948
Classes: Instructor: Location:
Weapons. A study of practice and theory. Gray D. Steel Courtyard
Magic Theory 101 Twilight A. Sparkle Science Building D-32
Sparring. Spit T. Fire GYM
Chivalry Studies. Luna P. Comet English Building A-14
Dragon Fighting Tactics and Theory. Flutter L. Shy Courtyard
Battle Tactics. Tirek O. Lord Courtyard
Social Etiquette Rarity T. Diamond English Building A-18

In good standing.