• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 3,061 Views, 43 Comments

Backfire - Zoom zoom



Spike learns to be careful what you wish for.

  • ...
5
 43
 3,061

Dirt

“Look!” Wishful finally had to shout out to Rarity, “I told you to stay home for a reason. How is the hell do you expect to help me on a quest if you can’t even deal with this?” The act of shouting had hurt his wing a little but not enough to cut him off mid sentence. He was looking over a rather tall but easy enough to climb cliff face looking down as his white unicorn companion who was standing perfectly still.

“I told you,” called Rarity, “I simply refuse to climb up such a dirty mountain side. My mane would get all messy. Why can’t you just carry me up?” The orange pegasus just rolled his eyes and shook his hurt wing side back at the mare in an expression to show the obvious issue with that even if he didn’t have to fly her up. “Oh come now, your wing should be fine by now. Unicorn magic and natural healing should have it so you can at least move around a lot with it by now.”

“Firstly,” replied Wishful trying to hold back his contempt for the mare, “Flesh wings are very different from feather wings. Feather wings can regrow missing plums fast and heal much faster. That putting aside the point I should at least be glad I didn’t put holes in it as it would take months to repair that even with unicorn magic. Secondly, my case is so rare the doctor likely didn’t treat me correctly and just used magic like I was a normal pegasus. And lastly, get your butt up here or I’m leaving you!”

“You wouldn’t dare leave a lady is such a place,” called the white unicorn. “I thought you were the best friend of my little Spikey. He wouldn’t leave me here to fend for myself.”

At this Wishful just looked up and squinted. “We aren’t even out of eyeshot of Ponyville yet. You have magic and can fend for yourself just fine. I’m not Spike and you were the one that insisted on coming along.” Then he actually thought about this for a second. He was just bluffing but when he realized something he started backing up out of eyesight and proceeded to make smaller sounds to appear to have left Rarity.

As soon as he went quiet completly he heard a quick pace of hooves on dirt and Rarity appeared over the cliff calling out, “Wait for…“ She looked down at Wishful who gave her a grin. “…me”

“Glad you could finally join me up here,” he said with a laugh as he got up. “I figured you out already. You’re just faking me out to stall me so Spike and Twilight can catch up. Well if you do that again I will really leave you alone. Got it?”

Rarity did her best to giggle it off. “Oh I wouldn’t dream of such things. I’ll have you know I really do hate dirt very much and simply had to figure out a way up. It isn’t my fault it would have gone faster if you had carried me.”

“Uh huh,” commented Wishful looking Rarity over. “Is that why you have all that dirt under your hooves now then?” Rarity looked down and began to scream. Wishful immediately found out he was wrong about Rarity and took cover from the impending screech and the white unicorn tried desperately to take out the dirt but to no avail.

“Oh alright fine,” Wishful finally said holding out his good wing and holding one of Rarity’s hooves. It began to glow slowly and soon enough the dirt all fell out into a pile on the ground that Rarity immediately avoided as she went to her bag Wishful had carried up and pulled out her hiking boots to protect them from further dirt.

When she was finally calm she realized what Wishful had just done and turned to him in shock. “Why did you do that? You can only use magic once a day and you waste it on such a petty thing I didn’t even ask of you?”

At this Wishful wagged his flank, “It’s what I do. Besides you have magic enough for the both of us if you focus. Nightfall will be around soon enough. I shouldn’t need it that much. Besides once we get all these jewels I should be just as good as when I had a horn.”

Rarity swallowed back the notion of getting a rare gem from this quest as just asked exactly what it was about. Wishful explained, “Basically each of the Kingdoms used to have some stone that let none magic uses use magic. Works wonders for the Griffins but getting their help will be last on our list if we wanna live. So I figure of the ones my aunt told me about, the one the unicorns hid away somewhere in these caves long before she firs took power sounded promising. With just that one stone even you should be able to do basic magic Twilight does that you can’t every day. So with you Twilight or even me going out with all the stones I should be able to power an unwishing. But like I said with this kind of risk and likely long trek it would be WAY easier just to off Spike, and if it wasn’t for a few other friends I’d likely do so at some point.”

Rarity replied instantly, “I highly doubt that Wishful. I may not have known you long but you are not one to just betray a friend like that.”

“Maybe,” said Wishful simply, “but in one of my books I used to have there was a story where to save himself, a pony nearly killed his wife. In our darkest hours we come to know the real us. I’ve heard of Spike in such dangers before with his adventures with you and Twilight. I’ve had no such things. For all even I know, when the time comes and I have to pick…I may just be willing to sacrifice you, Twilight, and Spike to get what I want. It isn’t likely, but you never really know. I suggest you keep that in mind, it’s going to take a few days to get to this cave and I can’t have you trusting me too much. Otherwise my choices will be all the harder.”

Rarity didn’t follow but finally asked one last question, “Very well. But if I may ask, why do you even wish to go back to your normal life this badly? I mean it is noble to do this all for Peewee, but if the purpose of the quest is lost by betraying Spike why would you even go?”

“Cause while part of me wants to make sure we get back to where Peewee is okay,” said Wishful simply, “there is also a part in me that wishes to get back what I had lost. I can also use these magic stones to grant my own wishes for once if I get them Miss Rarity. For the first time in my life I could be selfish, and that scares me a little. If I didn’t have that part of me that wants a wish for himself I couldn’t even bring myself to go. And that part may be the end of you all. I hope you are satisfied with my answer, because this is your last chance to leave.” He began to look down, hoping this would finally get him alone. It was so much easier to have thoughts of just ending everything faster when he was alone with his own mind telling him how rational it would be to either get rid of Spike or himself and save everypony this useless and likely fruitless journey.

Rarity just strolled up to Wishful and gave him a little push to shake him out of his stupor. “Nope,” she said, “I think I’ll stick around. You are not the kind of pony to betray, this I’m sure. And to make sure of that fact I’ll follow you until you are at least ready to join up with my Spike again and have him help YOU for once.” Wishful said nothing and just looked down disappointed in himself as he and Rarity continued their trek.


(Author's Note): Since the next part is going to be long and I don't want too much of a cliffhanger if I stop in the middle when I do get to a spot. I decided to put this short part....holy hell how did that become average Backfire lenth? I did work one out now since I'm trying to get a few other stories done first. I plan to have the next chapter up by the end of the year but for now have fun with this if you can.

Best wishs MasterofLag