• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 15,933 Views, 963 Comments

Hollow Shades - Dilos1



Something new lurks within the wilds of Equestria. Something monstrous.

  • ...
54
 963
 15,933

Epilogue

Horizon raised her hoof tentatively, hesitant to go through with with what she was about to do as anxiety kept her from knocking on the polished wood of the grand oaken door. Multiple times she came close to closing the gap, but each time her fear of what would happen should the news she had was not satisfactory kept her from knocking.

Finally, after taking one more deep breath to steady her nerves, she knocked on the door three times, wincing with every hollow thud it produced. Horizon waited for what seemed like an eternity, wondering if it was not too late to simply leave and come back later. Her hope for that was dashed however when a voice echoed from the other side of the door, slightly muffled behind the wood.

"Enter."

When she heard it, Horizon almost jumped as her heart rate increased slightly. Swallowing a large lump that had accumulated in her throat, the mare took another deep breath, she twisted the ornate knob with her magic before pushing the heavy door open, mindful of the deep groan the hinges produced. Nervously, like a foal about to receive punishment, she stepped inside. The door seemed to close behind her of its own accord with a dull boom that startled her more than she would care to admit.

The interior was dim, although there was just enough ambient light from the fixtures hanging above her head that she was able to make out the various objects that were neatly arranged about the long hallway she found herself in. Oil paintings spaced evenly apart hung from the walls, depicted various ponies, mares and stallions alike, that had been rendered to be so lifelike Horizon would have thought they were real as they stared at her judgmentally while she slowly trotted past them. Eventually the paintings were replaced by shelves ingrained into the walls on either side, although their contents hardly made her feel any more at ease.

Placed on them were glass jars of various sizes, most of them filled with some sort of yellowish liquid, and each one sporting a label. And inside of them Horizon could see, even though she tried very hard not to, things that had once been living, now no more than decorations to regale the odd visitor with. It took all of her willpower not stare at them. Just looking at them made Horizon feel nauseous.

Eventually Horizon found herself entering a large round study, lined with shelves that were filled to the brim with books. The faint scent of leather hung in the air, adding to her unease. Glancing around the study, she soon caught sight of a solitary figure sitting on a high backed chair, appearing to be engrossed in a book. But when she tried to get a closer look at him, her eyes seemed to glaze over him, unable to focus on him enough to say what he really was. When her eyes actually focused on him she could see what color coat his fur was as well what race of pony he happened to be, but whenever she looked away the image slipped out of her head, and she was unable to remember so much as a single detail about him. Deciding to chalk it up to a mere trick of her own eyes, Horizon timidly approached, coming to a stop a short distance away from him, and waited.

For a long while she stood there, unwilling to move so much as an inch without permission as the thing that she assumed was a pony continued to read, as though her presence was not worth the effort of noticing.

Finally he spoke, breaking the heavy and tense silence. "Report," he said.

Feeling her spine quiver at the sound of his voice, Horizon cleared her throat before she answered. "I have finished my mission in Hollow Shades sir, just as you requested of me."

". . . And?"

"A-and I have something to report, regarding our. . . asset."

She heard the book close with a hard thump, making her heart leap into her throat at the sound, and she felt a hard and unwavering gaze rest upon her.

"My asset, you mean."

Shivering violently, Horizon quickly nodded as she struggled to correct her error. "Y-yes sir. M-my apologies, I meant nothing by it."

"Good. Now please, continue. Tell me what has transpired in Hollow Shades. I wish to know the condition of my bug bear."

Knowing that there was no other way to say it, and that it would simply be better to get it over with as soon as possible, Horizon proceeded to say, "A-actually sir, there is a slight. . . issue regarding the bug bear. You see, as it so happens, the bug bear is. . . dead. You see, when I-"

"You let them kill it," he said cutting Horizon off mid sentence, his voice adopting an almost unearthly quality. As he spoke Horizon could not help but feel as though something was looming over her just behind her back, poised and ready to strike, but still she could not see what it even was. "You were to keep the Royal Guard from killing my asset."

Fighting through her terror Horizon hurried to say, "It wasn't the Royal Guard that did it I swear! It was something else, a-another creature! I saw it!"

". . . Go on."

Relieved at the prospect of saving herself from punishment, Horizon quickly obeyed. "Your spies were misinformed sir. The Royal Guard was not being sent to take out the bug bear, but something else entirely. Some sort of monster, unlike anything we've ever seen before, and most certainly not in the record books. Nopony knows what it is, or where it came, but it was strong enough to fight off one of the Princesses and an entire division of Royal Guard before it escaped. From what I've seen sir, it's possible that it could still be alive."

A pause followed, during which Horizon felt a nervous sweat run down her brow as she waited for his eventual response. She knew that he was pleased with her report when the suffocating presence that permeated the room like a vengeful miasma seemed to disperse.

"I do believe that we can salvage this."

Author's Note:

. . . Well shit, now I have to write a sequel to this.

Anyways folks, I am very proud of this story that I have created, and am deeply honored that you all took the time to read it in its entirety. You all have no idea how much it meant to me that you deemed it worthy of keeping an eye, and I can only hope that I can do this well with future stories, whether it be a sequel to Hollow Shades or another story altogether.
Again, thank you all. You are awesome, each and every single one of you (and that's not just for reading my story).
Until next time.
Dilos1, signing out.

Comments ( 94 )

Wo0T!? The end now???

What abaut the Gorgon interlude? Can we hope for a sequel? :fluttercry:

Still don't know anything about the game this is a crossover with, but DAMN is this story cool.

A double chapter finale, christmas came early

7798684 There isn't much to the game. There is no store, or campaign. It's just straight up 4 humans, fighting 1 monster that can evolve and has 3 forms, each bigger and stronger than the last.

damn this was amazing!

Hmm, so bugbear was placed on purpose in the forest? And now someone else is after Angela... This will be veeery interesting to see what happen's...

Wonderful story. Have a moustache :3 :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Sequel! Please.

7798668
7798795 Hey you two, didn't you read the author's note? Dilos1 already said that they "have to do a sequel now". No need to ask for anything. (by the way, I'm looking forward to it too)

7798815 ok, didn't read that. Thanks :twilightsmile:

This was really good thank you.

Shall a hunter be appearing? Perhaps An assault? Markov would be funny. I'd just love to see this continued.

7798839 that would be good. also i have the same profile picture as you on discord

SEQUEL!!!!

also, i wonder if Angela would be ok with going to a village near the sea?
she gets fish, the villagers get fish and protection, everyone is happy?

7798815 I saw it just after posting the comment, geez; some people...

Well if his minion is this incompetent then he can't be that tough.

Well shit. Just remember to make a blog post when the sequel is up and we will stay cool.

7798658 Thank you very much!

7798690 Ho Ho Ho!

7798712 Glad you thought so!

7798718 But that's five mustaches! You gave me four too many!

7798728 As much as I am tempted to take you up on your offer, I am afraid that at this current point in time, I am not going to participating in any crossovers. You are welcome to use any of my characters as you see fit, but as far as there being an official crossover that is canon to Hollow Shades, chances are slim. I am very flattered by your request however.

7798824 Well. . . we already have a Gorgon that was introduced in the intermission chapter. . . hmm. . .

7798836 You are very welcome my friend, although I should be the one thanking you for reading it.

7798862 Well, seeing as she is now going to be hanging out in the Everfree Forest, which is a pretty long distance away from any coastline (at least according to maps of Equestria I saw), the odds of that happening are pretty slim. Still, given the wraiths attributes it's definitely an idea to consider.

7798899 One would think that. . .

7798907 Sure thing!

Well, I'm anticipating the sequel now.

Well... that was a thoroughly enjoyable little romp, now wasn't it?
I am pleasantly surprised and glad to say that this was both interesting and well done overall. Spelling and a few grammar errors aside, the story was engaging, the characters fairly believable, and the ending was substantial.... something that many stories (especially fanfictions) lack.
Thank you for making this. Thank you for lasting impacts from actions. Thank you for choices and consequences and the interactions of those who are impacted by them. Thank you for allowing this story to deepen characters and build up an outside plot that can so easily lead to a continuation.
And thank you for closing this one up when it felt complete. If you decide to make a sequel, I shall happily follow along on that ride as well.

Now I just wait for him to get eaten by a gothic. I just can't wait for the rist of the crew to get there.

Incoming horrorterrors! Brace yourselves!

Twas very good. Looking forward to the sequel. I recommend posting a chapter when it's up with the title/link in the AN so we can see it, otherwise it's very easy to not notice that a sequel is up.:twilightsmile:

Have a moustache.:moustache:

7798974
I just had to... Or maybe I just overdid it...

7799107 Oh God! If the rest of them are in the sequel, Equestria is in so much trouble.

I know the game was limited to 3 evolution's per match, but you should make it so she can continue to evolve with an increased amount of food per evolution (like the game). But obviously she will be limited to the amount of times she can due to the amount of food on the planet. I just think itd be cool to see what kinda of other powers you would give her should she continue to evolve. The previous chapter i was expecting her to evolve again to somewhat heal her self considering she at a farms live stock but the direction you took it wasn't bad.

*staring monotonously at you, while patently waiting for the sequel* :pinkiecrazy:

I don't usually read displaced fics, as they get really same-y after a while, but this is relatively unique. Fantastic job, sir/madam! Looking forward to the sequel.:pinkiehappy:

Dilos, amazing as always, and a strong finish. :twilightsmile:
Did I like it? No. :ajbemused:



I LOVED it. :pinkiehappy:

7801509
Indeed.

7799037 Thank you. I am very glad that I was able to pull it off, at least in your view. The fear of every author is to give an unsatisfying ending, so hearing that is a relief.

7799055 Thanks!:twilightsmile:

7799894 I will be sure to do that when the sequel is up. And thank you for the mustache. Here's one for you for being awesome.:moustache:

7800065 Trust me, I made it a point to not rely too much on the game mechanics from the start so the story would not be cluttered with things like "Angela two hundred thirty damage to rival monster" or something like that. Really breaks the immersion if you know what I mean.

7800073
dailyhaha.com/_pics/staring-contest.jpg

7801132 Thank you! I look forward to writing it!

7801546
7801509
Why thank you both very much for thinking so!

Happy endings make my day.:twilightsmile: But cliff hangers? THEY MAKE ME ANGRY!:flutterrage: Looking forward to the sequel tho.:pinkiehappy:

That was an enjoyable story that wrapped up very nicely. At least until that epilogue. I eagerly look forward to reading the sequel when you make it.

7801546
7798974

You guys have no idea how long I've been waiting to use that gif...

You, my good Dilos, are more wicked than the Grinch who stole Christmas! You give us these two beautiful chapters, to finish one of my most favourite pony stories ever (seriously, check my page if you do not believe it, your "Hollow Shades" is tied with "Fallout: Equestria" by Kkat) and one of the few Displaced stories who acutaly came to an sastisfiying conclusion AND then you have the nerve to serve us this massive fluffing cliffhanger?

*hands you a fancy invitation in gold script to the Villians Not-So-Anonymous*

You earned that. That and every ounce of Like, ever :moustache:, every :heart: this beaut´full piece of horsewords have gotten until now and will without a doubt get in the future.

You, Dilos, are awesome. Have a wonderfull Christmas and an even better New Year.

Thank you and until next time.

*throws her painfully composed cue cards behind her, bows to you and leaves her little soapbox on stage*

7802746 Just read on.

Please.

7802615 Thank you. I definitely look forward to writing it.

7802634 Well in that case I am deeply honored that you saved it for this story.:twilightsmile:

7802746 *shrugs* Oh well, can't please everybody I guess. Still I am at lease honored that you took the time to give it a go, even if it didn't end up being your cup of tea. I wish you a good day, and a Merry Christmas.

7802851 *Receives fancy invitation* Thank you very much. I am glad that you stuck with it and gave it a chance. Here's to hoping that I can do just as well in the eventual sequel. If it's not too much trouble, were there any parts of either chapter that you enjoyed in particular?

7802960 Thank you for vouching for my story, but I don't mind if someone doesn't want to read it. The story that appeals to everyone has yet to exist I am afraid.

7802634
A while, I'd imagine.

7803096
The pleasure was all mine. I am purr~dy sure that you will do well when the time comes, seeing as you have grown throughout this here story.

What did I enjoy in particular in EACH chapter? Uff, that is a request now.^^° Okay, lemme try to my best abilities; I liked very much the way you portrayed the inner workings of Angelas mind, you fabricated a very believable and relatable backstory as for why she is the way she is, broken to a degree, warped and plaqued by her fears and guilt. The way these negative emotions more or less condensed into part of her story lasting problem with keeping her sanity, the other part being the Wraith herself.

Speaking of the xeno, I liked very much how subtley unsubtle that murderous bitch could be at times, that you gave her actual intelligence instead of "only" very advanced instincts, which Wraith showed only sparingly instead of going full "Suprise motherfucker, I am actual smart enough to talk, hold resentment etc". All that gave a looming sence of dread to us readers (me at least), gnawing nails nervously, not knowing when Angie would loose controll to her new mind-buddy.

The way you wove the backstory with the ponies from Hollow Shades, Bon Bon and even the griffin Gerald, that was all very good storytelling. It gave substance to the without being to distracting, got the flow allong and made things interessting.

Luna was believable and enjoyable too, being able to relate to Angie thanks to her own past misadventures as Queen Meanie/Black Snooty/Hookey Smockes etc. I am very glad you found a way to avoid "angsty emo Luna" or "archaic kill all monsters on sight Luna". I had to groan at times with her antics but all in all you found a good mix.

The monster hunter ponies with their flying tesla cannon, they where propably the most aggravating thing here. They went all "Agh, monster, kill it with everything!" and were unable to see past their own snouts. Not that is was an overly bad thing because it gave me something to actualy wish some asskicking to, just what I believe is called "stupid, overzealous henchman syndrome" and that may or may not deter some readers at some point.

The end was something I particularly enjoyed. The way Celestia trusted Luna to know what she was doing, without turning into a helicopter sister TOO much, how the Wraith aknowledged that she needed Angela to life in order to survive herself and retreated into the deptsh of the mindscape (smells like "I´ll be back bitches. With a vengance!" to me) and the little bit with Angie coming to terms with, well, everything. That Luna let her simply go to find her own way, instead of forcing "what is best" onto her, yeah, big plus too.

Oh and also, BIG bonus points for the "Rose Flare facing the Hollow Shades monster" moment. The incomming momma bear feels were real in that moment and also, I had to snicker when I imagined Rose telling that particular story to her child later on.

I hope that somewhat satiated your curiosity.:twilightsmile:

7803189 From Thunder, part 1

Luna continued to look on however, at the one whom she had come save from her nightmares, who had been so afraid of herself that she would rather spend her life in isolation than to risk harming others, now broken and battered almost beyond recognition. As she inspected he body, Luna happened to notice something sticking out on the side of her neck due to the skin being burned off. Using her magic, Luna carefully removed the foreign objects, revealing them to be a pair of gems with little hooks attached to their facets. Luna recognized them for what they were instantly, and she scowled before crushing them into dust with a flick of her magic.

7803244
Thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate that you did not just sing praises the whole time but also gave an honest critique of some of the parts, such as some of Luna's antics and the overall mindset of the Royal Guard. Luna I suppose could be justified since she's more used to the more archaic way of doing things, while the Royal Guard have never been shown to be particularly competent in the show so far.
*cough*Rarity Investigates*cough*

7803330 Well I am at least glad that you read through to the end to give your opinion on it, as opposed to simply down voting it simply for its premise. And thank you for also giving a valid reason for it too. Not a lot of other people on this site do that.

7798871 Ikr? Not much more to read after a chapter this short :twilightsmile:

7806999 Some read slowly. Or do something rashly in wave of emotions...

Fuck...Now I gotta wait for a sequel. Good job on this btw I wonder what happens next and if Angela will get the third evolution from eating more stuff.

More book? Sign me up.

7816511 I did consider doing that in the beginning, but decided it was unnecessary since would not be human for the rest of the story.
I personally picture her as a redhead with blue eyes.

OK, I have no history at all with the game or its head cannon, however it never affected my understanding of the story. I think the Author did a fantastic job and I absolutely loved the story. I hope the Author adds more stories based on Angela. Angela is now "best pony" in my opinion.

The Monk

7834729 Thank you very much, and I do have more planned for Angela's future in Equestria. Here's to hoping that I do as well with that as I did with this one, if not better.

Login or register to comment