• Published 3rd Sep 2015
  • 195 Views, 2 Comments

Little Bother - GreySlate



A Story of Two Colts Journey Through Life Together

  • ...
 2
 195

February 22, 2000

He was such a cute little foal. His tiny hooves, tiny tail, tiny head, and huge eyes. He was so funny looking. As I held him in my hooves, he slowly moved, blinking like the slowest tortoise and mouthing like he was savoring the sweetest candy he’d ever tasted, slowly rolling his little tongue around his mouth unstopping with no clear direction. His hooves moved just as randomly, swinging left and right, each shifting independently like he was trying to regain feeling after lying on them. I smiled as he got fascinated by his own hoof, as if it was recently given to him as a gift. He stuck his little hoof in his mouth, gently licking it as he looked up at me. He looked surprised, as if without his tiny stump to distract him, he finally noticed the world around him. I had to laugh. He was half my size and I could barely hold him.

He was only five days old, while I was three years old. The hospital chair that I sat in was soft and poofy. It was nice to finally see him. I had been waiting for him to come for what felt a year. I didn’t even know he was a colt until a few months ago. I’d felt him in mommy’s tummy as often as I could. He was so active. He loved music, especially mommy’s Appleloosa music. He loved the guitar sounds the most. He’d dance inside mommy and make her have to go potty. It was funny to see her make funny faces when he danced. I always hoped that he made mommy be silly like that to make me happy. It was our first connection. Now, I could finally hold him and see how silly he is. Mommy is still stuck in the hospital. Daddy says that she is very tired from delivering the baby. But I think mommy’s just being lazy because she had to carry him for so long. I mean, all she had to do to deliver the baby was lay there. The doctor did all the work.

But, I’ll let mommy be tired. I know that she is a nice mommy, and she deserves a break from being a good mommy. I’ll take the baby home and take care of him until mommy is ready. I don’t mind. I can feed him some muffins and juice. I’m good at making that, but I can find some of mommy’s cookbooks and learn more, like mommy. Then, I’ll play with him. I have lots of toys. We can play with stuffed animals, or build forts, or even play with my little ball. After that, I can put him to bed. He can have mine and I’ll sleep next to the bed on the floor. I’ll protect him and make him happy. He will be safe from the bad of the world. I am so lucky to have him.