• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 14,191 Views, 1,970 Comments

A Beautiful New Age - JDPrime22



As it is said, true peace can only be granted through countless innocent lives. In hindsight, the ponies were never that different from humans. Ultron’s plan is not over, and soon his strings will be severed for the last time.

  • ...
22
 1,970
 14,191

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 69-World on Fire


“Before you say anything, I want to personally apologize for our actions.”

It was the first thing Director Fury had said in over a half an hour. Since the Avengers made it back through the Bifrost, further reconstruction continued throughout Ponyville. The crowds dispersed, leaving just Nick Fury, Odin, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight and her five friends, Spike, and Friday.

The metal suit trailed behind Twilight specifically.

The remainder of any S.H.I.E.L.D. present in the town had been ordered back to the Helicarrier currently hovering above Ponyville. As for any remaining Asgardians, Odin and his personal guard of three soldiers were all that remained in the world of Equus. They, as well as Director Fury and Colonel Rhodes, followed Celestia and Luna into the refurbished and redefined sanctum of Princess Twilight.

Her castle. To be precise, her throne room. Well, their throne room, what with the six other thrones lined in a circle in the center of the room.

As the doors shut behind them, Nick Fury continued on with his apology, the eyes of the princesses staring at the back of his head. “Ultron, Tartarus, all of the destruction laid across the nations. It was entirely our fault,” he said, laying his palm on the throne ahead of him. He spun around, eyeing the Alicorns. “And we can only hope this doesn’t break the new bond between Earth, Equus, and Asgard.”

The six mares each shared in a chorus of awaiting stares with each other, Spike joining them. They all turned back, watching as the two sisters stood at the throne room’s entrance and exit, their eyes shifting from both Fury and Odin. They almost appeared judging at first, and then Celestia sighed, Luna turning to her.

Celestia said, “Again, we can only hope, Nicholas Fury. Yes, recent events have been quite difficult, and yes, we do forgive you, but…”

She turned to her sister for support. Luna bit her lip. “But…with certainty and a little bit of doubt…that apology might take some time to accept. Perhaps longer. You see, Equestria was not the only nation to have suffered these past few weeks. At least every known nation on the globe has been struck by a terrible force either led by Ultron’s demon army or the robotic menaces.”

“While Equestria stands with this new bond,” Celestia took over, stepping forth with her sister, “it may take longer for the other nations of Equus to forgive what was wrought, and hopefully accept what is coming. For as you said, Director…Equus is now part of a bigger universe.”

Fury only nodded to that revelation, glad to see them accept it. Odin pressed the butt of his spear into the solid crystal beneath him, turning to face the two sisters. He asked, “I would hope that my son and his allies have apologized, as well?”

Luna answered with a nod, saying, “Yes, Your Majesty. Thor and the Avengers have mentioned—numerous times to be exact—how sorry they were for bringing Ultron into our world…and bringing their war with them.”

All was good then. Odin sighed happily at that, smiling to Fury. Nick didn’t smile back, as if the words of the princesses still haunted him. It was true, even if Equestria was willing to forgive, the rest of the world wasn’t. Understandable, but hopefully not lasting forever. A bond was only as strong as the ones holding it.

Colonel Rhodes stepped into the room and stood directly next to Fury, his mask sliding upwards. The Mark 45 Iron Man armor still remained behind Twilight, observing the room quietly. It carried on, an unsettling silence filling Twilight’s throne room.

Celestia cleared her throat. “Well, perhaps we shall see to this castle’s finishing touches. Princess Twilight,” the young Alicorn visibly flinched at her name, spinning towards Celestia, “would you and your friends proudly do the honors?”

She seemed distant on the subject, but quickly realized what her past mentor referred to. Her eyes widened. “O-oh! Yes, o-of course, Princess Celestia,” Twilight confirmed with a nod, turning to face her friends. “Girls, in your seats.”

In unison, all of Twilight’s friends acted upon her command. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash hovered over to their respective thrones and sat. Pinkie Pie hopped over to her own seat and plopped herself down. Applejack and Rarity both slowly approached their thrones and settled themselves down. Twilight was last, trotting near the empty table in the center of the room and finally taking a seat in the throne embedded with a star.

As her rear made contact, said star began to shine. Everypony else’s cutie marks began to glow as did the symbol at the top of their thrones. Spike quickly rushed over and dove into his chair just in case he was needed. He wasn’t, but he wanted to feel important either way.

Suddenly, an array of lights assaulted the dimly-lit throne room, causing Fury and Rhodes to flinch. The Asgardian soldiers held their ground, their gazes transfixed with the swirls of rainbows rising together above the table. Odin watched carefully.

Then the colors fell, the light infusing with the table and creating a plethora of raw magic and energy spewing throughout the room. Everyone felt it rush through their bones and across their skin. Even then, it wasn’t over. The magic slowly began to dim, creating a holographic map with what once was empty on the table.

Each mare hopped off of their individual thrones and approached the group, smiling as they did so. Spike joined them, standing next to Twilight.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both shared in a warm smile, the sisters mirroring each other. Rhodes was speechless, turning his gaze from the mares and back to the map. Friday just stood there. And Odin…

His only eye widened to an impressive size, his jaw slightly ajar. Each Asgardian soldier behind him seemed to follow their king’s actions, their spears and shields drooping. He quickly straightened himself, as did his soldiers when he noticed the stares shifting his way. As for Fury…all he did was nod.

“Impressive,” he stated simply, pulling out his phone and checking the time. He put his phone away, saying, “Well, if the ‘finishing touches’ are over…then I believe it is our time to go.” He and Colonel Rhodes faced Odin, awaiting his approval.

The king shook his head quickly, stuttering at first. “A-ah, yes. It seems we have overstayed our welcome. Your Majesties,” he turned to face the two Alicorns, bowing his head to them, “I wish you and your people the best of luck.”

“And we as well, Your Highness,” Celestia bowed, Luna doing the same. Odin made his exit, pushing open the doors without the aid of his soldiers, all three of them trailing their king.

Celestia and Luna watched him disappear behind the doors, each sister turning to see Nick Fury approach them. He held out his hand. “We’ll keep in touch,” was all he said. Still, the sisters smiled, Celestia being the first to shake his hand, Luna being the second. Colonel Rhodes came up behind Fury, turning to the princesses and saluting.

It was all he did. His mask shut over his face, white eyes glowing bright.

Fury studied him, his eyes falling to the lavender Alicorn and her six friends. He smiled slyly, nodding to them. “Princess,” he said. “With your permission, I would like to exit your castle.”


The first thing they all saw stepping out into Celestia’s sunlight was the retreating King of Asgard vanishing behind the hills. He and his personal guard escaped into the valleys outside of Ponyville, presumably to use the Bifrost without interfering with the reconstruction efforts.

Whatever the case, he was gone. Everypony focused their attention instead onto Nick Fury and James Rhodes. Fury brought his hand up to his ear, announcing loudly, “Hill, we’re comin’ up. Keep the doors unlocked, would you?”

He seemed to receive a response, his head nodding then quickly rising upwards. Everypony followed his direction, squinting to see through the blinding rays. Still flying high above, still as massive as ever, the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier remained. To their surprise—though they had all seen it before—the portal emerged to the Helicarrier’s far right, tearing apart the sky and leaving a familiar world fresh on the inside.

Fury couldn’t stare for long when Colonel Rhodes wrapped his arms around him.

“Hold on tight,” James stated, staring up. “It’d be a shame if you fell.”

“Do you want a bullet in your eye?”

“I wonder if you were asked that question at one point.”

Before Fury could retaliate, Rhodes kicked off the ground and propelled upwards at impressive speeds. Straight up. Right for the Helicarrier. When the two had vanished in the clouds and sunlight, disappearing once they had reached the Helicarrier, the ship took a sharp turn, still hovering as it did so. It faced the massive portal tearing through the sky, pushing forward and entering its new light.

Then it closed.

And was gone.

The sounds of construction, of every normal and abnormal sound in Ponyville returned. It was good to have normal and abnormal scenery. The princesses could appreciate that, especially with Canterlot nearing its completion. Still, even with their capital city—and their home—almost repaired, that still left much to do. So much more to accomplish.

Starting with…

Celestia turned to Twilight Sparkle and her friends. Luna did the same, each mare showcasing a said, yet strong smile. Twilight was the first to notice, remaining silent.

Princess Celestia breathed in, and then exhaled softly. “You have all done so well. I cannot express my gratitude towards you or any of your friends, Princess Twilight. I guess all we can say is…thank you.” Pinkie and Rarity shared a quick glance, each mare smiling.

Luna stepped up. “We have made grave mistakes…some that nearly cost us everything,” she sighed, closing her eyes. “But know that…we are sorry. No longer will we keep secrets from our little ponies.” Her eyes opened, revealing the brilliant cyan irises of the Princess of the Night. She turned to her older sibling, nodding to her and spreading her wings.

“Never more,” Celestia agreed, her own wings extending. Together, the two kicked off the earth and rose higher, flew stronger than ever before, and looked back down.

Celestia smiled to the young Alicorn, a warm, motherly smile. “You have grown so strong, Twilight, because of your friendship with all of these ponies. Keep making new friends…above…” Celestia paused, instead choosing to gaze up into the clouds, “…and beyond.”

She looked back down to Twilight Sparkle and her six friends, smiling. “As the Princess of Friendship,” she winked, “I know you’ll have no trouble in that regard.”

Then they flew away together, their destination set for Canterlot.

“You’ll keep looking, right?”

They paused, each sister turning back.

And they could see Twilight staring at them, eyes waiting, wanting. She continued, her expression nearly breaking. “For Starlight…you’ll keep looking…” the rest of her friends joined her side, each mare staring up at the sisters, “…with us?”

Celestia and Luna both smiled. Warm. Motherly. Reassuringly.

“Always,” Princess Celestia answered.

Twilight didn’t know how long she stared at them. She couldn’t remember, neither could any of her friends. The comforting silence filled the void as the two princesses made their exit, even Pinkie Pie remaining questionably quiet. Even when she couldn’t even see them any longer, Twilight still stood there.

Almost as if she had forgotten something. Something very important.

Then she looked to Friday and remembered.

“Come on, everypony,” the Princess of Friendship announced to her friends, each mare and dragon facing her. They could all see the shimmer in her eyes, the powerful smile on her lips. “We’ve got work to do.”

With Friday following her, Twilight spun around and entered her home. Pinkie Pie hopped right behind her, both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash trailing the pink party pony. Applejack and Spike followed behind, Rarity quickly entering the castle and closing the doors behind her.

Except she didn’t. At least not at first.

Rarity stopped just outside the doors. Whatever force held her there, it prompted her eyes high above, staring into the bright clouds and clear skies.

She did, and she couldn’t stop smiling. Smiling to see that there was no wormhole, no giant, flying serpents, and certainly no golden titan. Smiling to know that they were all safe. That their world didn’t burn today.

Not today.

Not ever.

Author's Note:

Final chapter coming tomorrow. :raritywink:

PreviousChapters Next