• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 14,176 Views, 1,970 Comments

A Beautiful New Age - JDPrime22



As it is said, true peace can only be granted through countless innocent lives. In hindsight, the ponies were never that different from humans. Ultron’s plan is not over, and soon his strings will be severed for the last time.

  • ...
22
 1,970
 14,176

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24-For Their Own Good


It was meant to be a surprise.

The best night ever was meant to go as planned. Starting off would be the citizens of Canterlot finally meeting Equestria’s first extraterrestrial visitors. First impressions would have gone off without a hitch. Then, once the Grand Galloping Gala had reached its conclusion for the night, Twilight and her closest companions would lead those visitors straight into the Canterlot Archives, straight to the Star Swirl the Bearded wing, where their surprise was waiting for them.

It was just meant to be a surprise.

Now, both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were faced with the demolished Gala, a multitude of civilian casualties, and a stripped library with great loss of their research. The morning had not gone as well as they had hoped. Especially since…

It was gone.

The spell was gone.

One of Star Swirl’s ancient texts, lost in its own transcription, along with plenty of other notes and scrolls had vanished. All that was left was a torn library with a gaping hole in the center of the room. The hole in the ground held stairs leading straight into the darkness below. Not even the Princesses could stop the Avengers or Twilight and her friends from entering.

And how could they?

The evidence was plainly clear that the library was ransacked—presumably by Ultron and Starlight Glimmer—and they had discovered something the two Alicorns had hoped to have been long since forgotten. A memory far too deep and dark that they dared not to remember the ancient times. Lost beneath the archives held Equestria’s history…

Princess Celestia’s horn lit up a brilliant golden light.

Slowly, she and her younger sister led the group straight into the darkness, her horn dying once the magical torches brightened upon their arrival. Following Luna was Princess Twilight and her closest friends. Applejack and Rainbow helped to guide a weary Rarity down the steps and onto the cold stone beneath their hooves. Pinkie and Fluttershy trailed right behind Twilight and Spike. All remaining guests and plus ones were sent back to their respected homes, not a word to be said for the evening.

And behind them were Earth’s Mightiest Heroes appearing anything but mighty.

Rarity’s suits were completely trashed and torn. Adorning these battle scars were Tony Stark, his armor performing numerous flybys around Canterlot while in sentry mode. Thor and Clint Barton also wore tattered suits, the God of Thunder gripping onto his hammer with his braid somehow forgotten, leaving his golden hair to flow as it normally has.

Steve Rogers was bleeding all over. He had enough bandages. Despite the suit he wore, ripped and burnt, he held onto his shield tightly, refusing to let go for even a second. Standing far behind the group were Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner. The pale doctor held a towel around his chest and body, quivering with every footstep he took. Natasha was with him the entire way, her dress destroyed but not seeming to care.

None of them cared about how they looked. All they cared about was the spell, the state of the civilian casualties, and just what the two Royal Sisters brought them to.

The spell was gone. There were enough casualties to fill a small cemetery.

“Princess…” the unmistakable voice of Twilight Sparkle began, “what is all of this?”

The two looked at each other, sighed as equals, then turned to face the carvings, the paintings, and the ancient writing forever scrawled on the earth wall in front of them. The illuminating glow of the torch lights flickered across the stone’s surface, but it was all legible, all visible. Every painstaking image. Every brushstroke. Clear as day.

“She asked you a question.”

It was as if the power of thunder had traversed under the earth, embracing Thor’s vocal strength and enhancing it so all could hear the weight in his tone. And all did. Everypony, everyone turned his way, all wondering, some frightened, some startled. Celestia and Luna were part of the latter.

With his hammer, Thor pointed towards the wall, towards the blood-colored paintings.

“What is all of this?” he asked, tone as harsh as before.

There was no hiding it any longer. Deep down, despite the strongest of efforts, both sisters knew the day would come when the history would be told, not the one they imagined. It was right there, staring them all straight in the face, the sisters in the hearts. And young Princess Twilight never looked more confused, more worried as her eyes glazed across the rough edges of the cavern paintings.

There was simply no hiding it.

With a sigh, Celestia finally answered.

“Equestria’s history,” she exclaimed loud enough for all to hear. “It seems…Ultron and Starlight Glimmer dug a little bit deeper than we imagined them to. They have discovered what was behind the walls of deceit for all of these years. What was hidden away…so long ago. It appears that there is no use hiding it any longer.”

Twilight and all of her friends joined together, eyes wide and jaws dropped. The weariness vanished from Rarity’s gaze the moment Celestia returned to take command of the conversation, of the explanation, of the story. Spike clung on to Twilight’s foreleg, gazing worriedly at the first painting.

It depicted ponies of every race stepping off hundreds of ships, observing the mountains and sunlight with painted eyes of wonder, with smiles of blood red. Celestia held out her hoof to said painting. Tony Stark crossed his arms, barely lifting his chin. Banner stopped quivering.

Barely gracing the image, Celestia began, “Thousands of years ago, what we now call today as the Pre-Classical Era, hundreds of thousands of ponies from across the globe immigrated to the new land with dreams of riches and escape plaguing their thoughts. Escaped from the hardships of their home countries, they were not the only ones.”

She moved at a slow sidestep, Luna joining her, the watchful crowd leaning towards the next painting. Twilight and her friends followed the two sisters, the young Alicorn remaining silent for the entire duration.

Luna continued on the story. Her shadow-colored hoof slid across the carvings and strokes of the next painting. The large image showcased several noble-like kings and queens sitting together along a conjoined table, all seeming to be discussing. The blood red paint was evident in every stroke up, in every stroke down. Thousands of years and it still told the tale in bloody detail.

The Princess of the Night said, “The rule of the Royal Sisters, of Discord, of the three pony tribes came later…for the first central government of the Pre-Classical Era was ruled by those wishing to accommodate the land and make peace with all species that wanted to settle. Very noble. Very kind. An ideal we all embrace to this very day. Unfortunately, those ideals were for naught, for the events that followed haunt these lands even as we speak.”

And us.

And us, Celestia replied telepathically.

The group moved onwards to the next painting.

Everypony gasped. Fluttershy’s hooves shot up to her mouth, tears boiling in her shielded gaze. Steve Rogers’ frown deepened far more than any other in the room. His right fist clenched, his other gripping onto the shield. Just as he feared. Thor shared his feelings, his jaw falling, knuckles clenched so tight many could see white in the darkness.

Twilight shook her head, refusing to believe.

“No…” she whispered. “No, you… Princess,” she shifted her head over to Celestia, the Alicorn’s eyes set on the image. With a simple step forward, Twilight’s eyes pleaded, yet her voice strained with: “This can’t be true, it… It doesn’t fit in. Celestia…Luna?”

The two sisters, both refusing to answer currently, eyed the painting with sullenness in their eyes, with clouds over their hearts. Morose was their temperament, lost in the silence and whimpers of the poor ponies behind them. Yet the building fury in a soldier’s heart would not be contained, nor from a god.

Celestia laid her hoof over the bloody remains of a dead pony, his head gone and lying in a pool of red. The red was everywhere, not just for the paint, but for the detail. Every detail. Every cut, every wound, every flame, every toppled city and family.

It was everywhere.

Dragons divided the skies, griffons and ponies slit each other’s throats, zebras and minotaurs trampled one another, stabbed one another, decapitated the armies all painted differently. The dragons of black, the ponies of red, griffons of green, zebras of white and black, and minotaurs of blue and brown. All the colors swirled, ending only in a red pool amongst the masses.

“As the grand old tale goes…diplomacy failed,” Celestia muttered. She sighed heavily, eyes closing as her hoof slid down the painting. “We were just young princesses. Our father, our mother, they hid us away as the skies burned with ash and fire. Beyond the castle walls we hid from the world, Luna and I, as years washed away. Sometimes we wait all night by the fire’s dance, wait for father and mother to return. They rarely did. And as the dawn fell on the sixth year…so did they.”

Clint leaned back against the wall, his gaze falling.

Luna closed her eyelids tight.

Feeling the hardened and weakened stares from behind, a few sniffles from the mares, and of course Twilight’s shallow breathing, Celestia continued. She knew fully well that Luna wouldn’t be able to finish the story from where they reached. Not before, not now, not yet.

Clearing her throat of any unwanted strains, Celestia said, “And so came a time where different species, the same Equestria’s first ponies welcomed with open hooves, fought against one another. These…wretched battles were fought for the new land, for farming, for colonization, for years to come. Millions of lives…lost for profit.”

“Oh, my…” Rarity murmured, hoof rising to cover her mouth.

Celestia breathed in. “In the end, the combined forces of the three tribes; Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth ponies, were all able to thwart the enemy armies and push them out of the land from whence they came. With aid from the great Star Swirl the Bearded, this effort was accomplished, and the grand wizard went into hiding, traumatized.”

“The first government had collapsed, and the tribes began their trade,” Luna carried on, finally composing herself after a much-required silence. “The Pre-Classical Era ended with the rise of the Equestrian flag, the birth of a nation with two leaders to rule it all in peace and harmony. For many years to come…”

Luna’s hoof draped across the tribes’ symbols, followed by the Equestrian flag, forever painted blood red into the stone wall. The images continued, showcasing the further history of Equestria. Discord’s reign, the enslavement of an entire nation, to King Sombra and his vile rule in the Crystal Empire. Tirek and his brother seeking to dominate the land, ending only at the fall of Nightmare Moon several yards down the dark hallway.

“And everypony was happy.”

Twilight turned back to the image that made her stomach churn.

Her mind was reeling, innards wheezy after having experienced just what was hidden away for so long in full, bloody detail. The open mouths, eyes widened, blood flowing from every opening and not a sound to be heard. It was as if the paintings cried out to them, lost in the gurgle of crimson liquid. From the settlements to the rise of the Equestrian flag, Twilight and the others watched on in silence, in study of the history of Equestria.

And like a student she once was, Twilight only had one question.

“Why?”

The two sisters finally turned around, their faces almost as crestfallen as the mares in front of them. Almost. They lowered their necks to the violet Alicorn, noting how questioning gaze, lingering fire hidden in the irises.

She asked again. “Why weren’t we ever told of this? Why hasn’t anypony ever been told about this?”

They actually had an answer for that.

“The dark ages were not a proud moment in Equestria’s early history,” Luna replied, stepping forward past her sister. “Once we came to power, we sought to keep it hidden from the ponies of Equestria. We…hoped that the joining of friendship from different tribes would enforce the idea of harmony between those so unwilling to work together. There is no harmony in war, young Sparkle, and we never wanted our little ponies to know that’s the only way Equestria could ever have been founded…”

“Over the bodies of millions of lives,” Celestia whispered, still keeping her gaze lowered. That fear didn’t last, as the elder sister raised her head, eyes as hard as near stone. The rejecting glances she received was enough, the confronting stares just added the finishing touches.

She said, “Tormented for years, my sister and I were…of these events. Not one day goes by wishing we could have done something more…something different. Tampering with time, even now with all that we have achieved…we fear for the worst. The past is the past. We rebuild from there, hide the evil, and show Equestria what love we are truly capable of.”

Celestia almost chuckled, though it was dry and breathless. “You thought of us as ponies you could trust. Can you still see that now…of all times? Can we…to you?”

No response. Just silent stares.

So, she finished. “You must believe that what we have done was for the best of intentions. We despise the act of lie, but what more can we do? What more can you do? I pray you all understand.”

If one could call it an answer.

Twilight and her friends tried to.

The Avengers refused to.

From Clint Barton to Bruce Banner, and Natasha Romanoff to Tony Stark, the four held their stares elsewhere, anywhere except where the two sisters stood. The silence was somewhat new to them, especially Barton and Romanoff, but for Banner and Stark…it was all so familiar. So deploring. They both felt the silence before, Banner from when he was being made into a human hunt—all the years he spent in solitude—and Stark from Coulson’s supposed death.

It was unnerving to keep Stark silent for so long.

So he wasn’t.

“We have nothing to hide.”

As for Thor and Rogers…

They couldn’t stop staring at them, at the sisters, at the rulers of Equestria.

The sisters found their heated stares from afar, meeting them all the way and taking it all. With Twilight still trying to convert all of the information into a logical reason, the other mares found the new conflict building around them. Rainbow Dash eyed Captain America cautiously, finding his hardened stare as sharp as the strongest blade. The others watched Thor…

They watched him spin around and leave without another word.

The two princesses watched as the Asgardian exited with a frown on his face, with his palm gripping the hammer so hard that it trembled. A few footsteps echoed across the ground’s walls, capturing the attention of everypony and everyone around him. Even Twilight stopped and spun her neck around.

Steve Rogers just stared at them, mouth a single line, shield gripped in his left forearm.

For seconds on end the three held that stare, the sisters regrettably, and Rogers frustratingly. In those darkened irises held a tale of war, loss, so much from a soldier’s perspective on the front lines. So much that the sisters had yet to experience it for themselves. The evils of mankind, the gifts they create, the worst they accomplish, all seen in just a span of seven seconds.

And then he told them something.

Told them something a soldier with his experience could ever know.

“If you’re not willing to embrace your past…then you’re doomed to repeat it.”

He turned and left, the remaining Avengers following suit. Tony stared at the floor the entire way out, up the stairs, and back into the library.

Several seconds ticked away. It was Rainbow Dash who led the escape, but not before sending a questioning glare to the two princesses before leaving with a mental scoff. Soon enough, the only ones left in the darkened hallways were just Twilight, Spike, Celestia, and Luna. Even then, Twilight couldn’t force herself to look at them.

Not now.

Now…she needed to think.

And she and Spike left together.

And the two siblings remained in the halls of history, their past lingering over them like a constant demon, like the one that never left.

PreviousChapters Next