• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 14,174 Views, 1,970 Comments

A Beautiful New Age - JDPrime22



As it is said, true peace can only be granted through countless innocent lives. In hindsight, the ponies were never that different from humans. Ultron’s plan is not over, and soon his strings will be severed for the last time.

  • ...
22
 1,970
 14,174

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32-Irritability

Pinkie Pie sat up and spit out the rocks and dirt from her mouth. She stopped; she took a bite out of one of the rocks, observing its texture and taste. Her eyes shot open in realization.

Juggling herself back up to all four hooves, Pinkie observed her surroundings, sniffing the gray dirt as a dog would, her pink tail mirroring a canine’s motions. Her muzzle bumped nearby rocks, her eyes scanning the dirt until she popped her head back up, a smile emerging out of the dark, lonesome land she was in.

“I’m home!” Pinkie cheered, hopping in mid-air and smacking her back hooves together.

After landing, Pinkie brought her attention over to the large structure in the center of the field, the home she proudly grew up in, where her family remained. Pinkie’s smile increased tenfold, and she was moments away from taking that first step towards her home and say hi to her mom and dad…but stopped.

She composed herself for a short time, taking in her surroundings one final time. The skies were dark, heavy clouds building with the storm soon to follow. However, there didn’t seem to be any indication of a storm building. No wind. No rainfall. No smell. It was as if the world around her didn’t even feel real. Pinkie scooped her hoof down, plucking some dirt from the earth and letting it fall from her hoof.

It all seemed so real.

Then how did she even get home?

Perhaps fond rekindling of memories would have to wait. No time to spend with mom and dad or sisters Limestone and Marble, just to figure out how she arrived during her current situation with her best friends. For some unforeseen reason, Pinkie couldn’t seem to remember anything after hitting the cave wall from the same gust of wind’s attack.

Rubbing the back of her head and wincing in pain, Pinkie began in a hop all the way to the house she grew up in. She ignored all the blatant misgivings of the land she once lived in, how the world didn’t react to her, how nothing seemed to make sense. Yet, Pinkie Pie joyously skipped through it all, just as she would on any other given day.

Pinkie soon enough arrived to the front door and was just about to raise her hoof to open it. If it hadn’t already creaked open on its own, that is.

Bringing her hoof back, Pinkie smiled, blissfully making her way inside.

“Mom! Dad! Limestone! Marble!” Pinkie happily called out, her eyes taking in the surroundings. Pictures hung from the walls, representing the family, rocks, and even more rocks. It filled Pinkie with even more joy, spinning her head over to the family room. “Guess who’s home early this ye—!”

And just as quickly as she had called to her family, Pinkie’s smile drifted away.

She remained frozen, teetering on the edge of reality, on what was real and what was not. She gave no second thought to it earlier, but now Pinkie’s mind was returning to her previous—and admittedly—very small assumptions from early. There couldn’t possibly be any way she could be home. She was still in the cave with her friends, talking with that red-eyed woman, hitting the cave wall, and falling asleep as the woman came to her in her final moments of consciousness.

The world she was in couldn’t be real. How else could it be that Pinkie Pie was staring at a filly of her exact color of coat and mane? How else could she see two of her sisters joining her, the size of them giving light to the possibility that…?

They were just fillies.

And she as well.

But it didn’t make any logical sense, even Pinkie Pie knew that. Staring at the backside of her younger self for so long nearly blocked out her own mother coming into view, clearing her throat loud enough to capture the full-grown mare’s attention.

Cloudy Quartz observed her children with mild interest, weary gaze shifting from each filly to the next. Pinkamena Diane Pie was present, along with her sisters Maud and Limestone all lined up accordingly, exact, not a smile to be seen. With their undrawn attention riveted solely to her, Cloudy began, adjusting her glasses and shifting her hoof to the small blackboard she brought them.

Standing afar, Pinkie gulped after spotting the blackboard and what was written on it.

She knew now what she was experiencing was real. She remembered everything from that blackboard, devoid of any color. Just writing. It was the day she could never forget, but tried so hard to keep it away from her memories, blocking it with smiles, parties, and cupcakes.

“Today, children,” her mother began, turning her head to the blackboard, “before you walk out into your new lives of rock farming, there are some fundamentals we must exert, for there is no other way around it. To begin with rock farming, we must toss away childish attributes, allowing us to fully focus on our work.”

“Yes, mother,” all three fillies replied. Pinkie Pie began to shiver from behind, shifting her eyes from herself back to her mom.

Written in white chalk, Cloudy Quartz pointed her hoof to the fundamentals on the blackboard, slowly going down the line and reading them off.

“There is to be no fun. Fun leads to lackadaisical activities, which is something we cannot allow and something we simply cannot tolerate here on our farm. There is to be no playing. Playing is not work. It is as simple as that, my children. And finally, say it with me now…”

“There is to be no smiling,” the three fillies muttered alongside their loving mother. From behind, Pinkie mouthed the words, cautiously gasping onto breath after uttering the sentence.

Cloudy Quartz nodded, turning away from the blackboard and holding her stone-hard gaze to her children. “Smiling is a gateway to playing and fun. It is a waste of your facial muscles, giving you less strength to push and move rocks accordingly. There is only work to be done, my children, and I do not want to see another one of you smile again. Is that understood?”

“Yes, mother.”

From their monotone response, Cloudy Quartz nodded.

From hearing herself speak in such a way, Pinkie Pie whimpered.

From down the hall, a scream tore apart the silence.

AHHHHH!!!”

The mother and her children shot their heads in the direction of the scream, Pinkie Pie following their actions. Cloudy Quartz held her hardened expression as strong as she ever could, gulping silently and letting a shiver race across her coat. Another scream.

“Look to me, children,” the loving mother ordered, watching as three of her daughters turned their attention onto her. Trying her best to ignore the screams, Cloudy Quartz said, “Now, say it with me. There is only work to be done.”

“There is only work to be done.”

“Good. Again.”

“There is only work to be done.”

AHHHHHHH!!!”

“Again,” Cloudy Quartz said, much louder than before. Her lower lip quivered, eyes burning.

Their voices slowly drowned away, giving Pinkie Pie the leverage she needed to turn to the screams and focus her full attention onto them. The lights from the candles strewn across the walls began to flicker upon Pinkie’s arrival, the pictures and the paintings becoming blurred. But Pinkie paid no mind, her attention held down the hall. Where the screams were building.

No! Please!”

The voice. It was so familiar. It was something Pinkie Pie could never forget. Just as the day she returned to.

Marble.

Her younger sister was heard screaming all the way down the hall, locked in the bedroom, not a candle to give light to the dark. Pinkie Pie’s ears fell, her eyes shedding the slightest of tears. She remembered this day, the day that forged into her mind and soul on why they can never express their smiles on the farm. The screams gave way to such a thought.

Starting at a slow trot, Pinkie began to quicken her pace over to the room at the far end of the hall after hearing her sister’s screams increase. There was no holding back. Pinkie galloped to the door, only to find the hall stretching further and further away, like some bad dream. Like a nightmare.

Summoning whatever willpower she had, Pinkie placed her hooves against the door, trying desperately to push it open. She tried the handle. It wouldn’t twist or turn. The door was frozen, unmovable, and impassable. Like some bad dream. Like a nightmare.

Pinkie slowly slid down the door, her forehead pressed against its wooden face. Resting on her haunches, Pinkie could only listen to the events transpire from beyond the door. The crack of hoof against bone, of ear-splitting cries, and trampling hooves desperately trying to escape. Pinkie Pie shivered at the memory, recalling only listening and repeating the words her mother told her so long ago.

“Daddy, please! I’m sorry! I’ll never smile again! I—AAAHHHH!!!”

Pinkie Pie slammed her hooves against the door, crying her eyes out for her little sister.

“There is only work to be done…” she whimpered pitifully.

Each candle gracing the hallway finally died. One by one, leading to the pink mare slumped over and muttering the same words over and over and over again. Never stopping, pausing to hold back a choking cry whenever there was a scream from the other side, and then continuing again.

Never stopping.

Pausing only to cry for her little sister…the day the smiles died.

“There is only work to be done.”

Author's Note:

Her past.

PreviousChapters Next