• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,193 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's journey - Skarsnik



Follow the story of Spike and his assitant helping a lost lavender alicorn

  • ...
11
 53
 2,193

Chapter 13 - Dragon & Magic

The next day was a normal day, except Emerald choose of his own will to let Spike advance his research while he would be teaching the foals. Emerald was a bit nervous, it was the first time he was alone with the fillies, but when he get back for lunch he was smiling. Spike was waiting for him in the living room. Twilight was on the sofa reading an adventure book

“So how was this first time alone?” asked Spike, a small smile on his face.

“It was...stressful but rewarding, the first few minutes I thought I was going to give up because they were all asking for you, where you were, if you were sick, if you were leaving to fight monsters, thing like that.”

Spike chuckled “Haha, I can imagine.”

The stallion continued “But at the end of the morning, I don’t know, I was just happy to do this on my own.”

Spike moved from his seat to pat the stallion on the back “Good, maybe we can do something out of you Emerald.”

“I am happy for you, Emerald” added the alicorn.

He gave a curt nod “Thank you, Twilight.”

They moved to the table to have lunch. Emerald spend lunch telling his morning to the other, even if nothing really big happened he was proud of his achievement.

After Spike finished cleaning the dish, he gathered the two ponies of the house “I finished a part of my research and I need you, both of you.”

Emerald asked, “Ok, what do you want?”

Spike showed Emerald and Twilight a scroll with a schema draw on it “You saw that?”

Emerald put a hoof under his chin and thought for a minute, “Yes it’s amplification matrix, they are thing different from what I remember, no wait, this part, that look like a meddling matrix.”

“Ok, well there isn’t only that, most of them are failsafe, but I think you get the idea.” Spike nodded.

Emerald continued his reflexion “Hm, you want to cast something using two casters, one casting the spell, the other one fueling with power.” He concluded looking at Spike, then Twilight.

“Hey, you are not that bad. Ok, we will use that for some things, but first I want you to scan me for magic signatures, You will cast the spell and Twilight will provide the magic.” Spike gestured to Twilight that had a smile on her face.

“I am proud of you Spike, It look like a very good work,” she said.

Spike blinked multiple time “I...thank you Twilight, I mean a lot for me for you to say that to me.”

Emerald waited for Spike to wipe the corner of his eyes before speaking again “Is that really necessary? I mean I don’t need that much power to do a scan.”

Twilight released her embrace on Spike to let him continue, “Yes, but I am not a pony, and you will need all you focus.“

“What I have to do exactly, Professor Spike?” said Twilight with glee in her voice

“You just pour power in the matrix, but slowly, I don’t know how much power is needed and how much Emerald can handle. Don’t think of any spell in particular. You think you can do that?”

“I will try,” she affirmed.

Spike pointed at the stallion “Emerald you lead the whole thing, you stop if something goes wrong.”

Emerald traced the runes on the floor with some chalk forming a circle while Spike stood in the middle, Twilight was watching the whole scene thinking, when Emerald was almost done she started removing and redrawing some runes.

Spike was confused “What are you doing Twilight?”

“It’s better like this.”

Spike gave a look at the new pattern, it looked... different, but he could not point what, but she was right, in a way that looked better.

“Ok I don’t know what you did, but I trust you. Ready everypony?” both Emerald and Twilight nodded in approval.

Emerald horn was the first to glow and pour magic toward the circle on the center of the room, he was making the link with the construct, then he turned his focus to Spike.

“Wow you were not kidding when you said you have a great magic resistance”

“Yes, don’t strain yourself, guide Twilight to give you the power to overcome this.”

Twilight was wearing a serene face has she start linking herself, she pour her magic in the circle. Emerald face was in shock when he get in touch with Twilight magic it’s...so beautiful, so...right, so...strong. He could barely focus on the spell, overwhelmed by the feeling.

Spike, seeing the stallion having trouble focusing asked “Emerald? are you alright?”

“Wow, wow, Hu? Oh sorry, it’s...strong”

“Can you continue?”

Emerald shook his head to clear his mind. “Ok, let me try again...hum I need more”, now that started getting used to the strong presence of Twilight’s magic, he could focus on the task, I feel like I could do anything.

After few try and adjustment, Emerald could feel the magic inside Spike “Ok, what do you want me to search exactly?”

“Search for multiple signatures, ponies signatures.”

Emerald closed his eyes, projecting his mind vision into Spike “There is three signature, wait, there is a fourth, it’s...like Twilight.”

Spike smiled “Ignore this one, the other must be the Princesses, try to find a dominant one, my bet in on Celestia.”

“Ok, yes I see.” confirmed Emerald feeling the presence of a strong foreign magic.

Spike moved on the next step of his search “Hm, does there is some kind of interaction with the other?”

“Yes. It’s weird, it’s like it’s connected to the other.”

“Ok the tricky part, Can you identify the spell? or remove the connection? or reproduce the spell?”

Emerald paused for a moment, closing his eyes to focus on the structure of the spells present in Spike body “It’s...no.”

Spike just shrugged “Ok it was worth a try”

Emerald guided Twilight to slowly remove her presence from the link, and when it was done Emerald collapsed on the floor.

Twilight rushed to the stallion, helping him to get back on his hooves “Are you alright?”

“Yes, It was… just, not that used to deal that much power.” He cleaned his coat from the chalk that ended on him and turned his head toward Spike “I catch some glance of the spell Spike if that help, but I couldn’t do anything, what was that anyway?”

Spike started cleaning the floor with a rag “I wanted to see if we can alter the spell that allow me to send letters to the Princesses, apparently Princess Celestia know when I sends letters to the other.”

“Speaking of which.” Spike emitted a gulp of flame and two scroll appear in front of him. The first one was sealed by Cadance sigil and the other one by a silver crescent moon.

Spike put the scroll -with what was probably Princess Luna sigil- on the coffee table and rip off the seal of the other one “Let see Cadance first” Spike read the letter and spoke “Ok, apparently she had no real answer for us and asked Princess Luna for advice, but she doesn’t know what Luna has for us.”

Twilight took the scroll sealed with Luna sigil.

Dear Spike and Twilight Sparkle

First, we want to renew our apology for the situation you are in, we wish we could provide more assistance. Don’t fret, we are not planning a dread plan on Equestria by hiding your presence. We wish we could tell you more, but we think it’s for the best you just focus on recovering.

For your need of discretion, we also fear we don’t have a book or knowledge to offer, mastering traditional Illusion take time, but fear not, we think Twilight Sparkle you knew someone that once offer you apprenticeship, and well-versed in the art of deceiving other.

Once you figure who she is, we can give you her location, once you pronounce her name, her location will appear the back of this scroll.

Sincerely, Princess Luna that can not never thank you enough for saving us.

Twilight was in shock after reading the letter, Spike took the letter from her, read it and matched Twilight’s expression, “Wait, no, no, she…., she can’t be serious!”

Twilight whispered a name, “Chry...Chrysalis.”

Emerald became pale, his eyes wide open “You mean.. .mean, Chrysalis, the queen of the changeling?!”


Day 2x :

This day was crazy, especially for me, for once I will talk about me, well it’s weird considering it’s my journal. Twilight didn’t do anything particular.
The start of the day was just me doing my first lesson alone with the filly, I never seriously considering doing that, but seeing Spike working hard while dealing with Twilight at the same time, it’s the least I could do for them, and how hard it could be after trying to help a crazy alicorn controlling her magic? Well, that went well.
After lunch Spike proposed me to scan him, I don’t like scanning living thing. It’s not easy for me, I am nearly overwhelmed by the pony natural magic signature to distinct other one. Spike had already told me he was very resistant at magic, but I didn’t expect that to be this true, my own magic could barely get a grip on him, but the most craziest thing was Twilight magic, I don’t even know how to describe it’s beautiful, strong, pure, it make magic so...easy, so right, I never felt so at ease with using magic, it was hard to lose that. Using my own magic feel dull now.
After that, I don’t know who is crazier, Princess Luna or Twilight? The Princess proposed to learn from the Queen of the changeling and Twilight was ok with that. But I am not a hero, I talked to Spike about that, I will not go with them. I still felt bad for making this decision, I hope Twilight don’t think I abandoned her, it’s just... It’s dangerous, I don’t want to be a burden for them.
Spike gave me a gift, with the information I gathered about the spell that allow him to use his dragon fire. He managed to find a way for me to imprint my signature in him so he can send me letters, once again it was possible thank to Twilight’s magic.

Author's Note:

Next chapter take place in Canterlot :)

Note: Queen Chrysalis offer apprenticeship to Twilight in on of the comic.