• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,186 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's journey - Skarsnik



Follow the story of Spike and his assitant helping a lost lavender alicorn

  • ...
11
 53
 2,186

Prologue

“It’s time for you to fulfil your destiny!” Celestia finished the last verse of her song. A myriad of great purple lights started glowing and engulfing Twilight’s body. Celestia was smiling, witnessing her student achieve the transformation allowing her to achieve her full potential and be an inspiration to everypony. Equestria needed a new, young figure to inspire its citizens—to lead and protect them.

Suddenly, the purple light shone brilliantly, reaching a blindingly white colour with a small lavender aura. Celestia couldn’t keep her eyes from her student. “It’s beautiful... it’s pure magic,” her mind starting to drift, staring at the beauty of the magic in front of her She was abruptly stirred by Twilight’s scream.

“Princess! Help me!” The unicorn’s head jerked in a peculiar motion before her cries resumed. “Help me—I can’t, I can’t... noooo!”

The white light grew more intense, the magical radiance becoming unpleasant to look at.

“No, no it can’t be—not like this, it was not...” Celestia said in a voice of disbelief, trying to make sense as to what was happening right in front of her.

A gracious, dark blue alicorn appeared from a cut in the pocket dimension, her lustrous, starry mane floating in the surrounding void, a hint of panic on her face.

“Sister! We have to stop this; it’s dangerous!” Luna shouted to make her sister came back to reality.

“It… it can’t be! She was ready. She was...” Celestia, her head hang low, was still muttering to herself.

“Tia! Hurry, we must act before it’s too late!”

On these words, another surge of radiant light exploded, mixed with another shriek of pain from Twilight. The glare was becoming stronger with each pulse. The, suspended images showing episodes of Twilight’s life vanished with the light.

Finally, Celestia was brought out her thoughts from pain. ‘Pain... what?’ Celestia was old, and her mighty alicorn body and magical strength prevented her from being truly injured. She knew physical pain, but her will was strong enough to ignore most of it. Even when fighting Nightmare Moon, she was hurt more by the need to fight against her sister than from her injuries.

No, this pain was more brutal—not something you can feel from a great injury, something rawer something that can obliterate your mind.

“Did you feel that? We have to do something!” A hoof pressed at her horn, Luna shouted again at her sister to awaken her.

Celestia’s head rose and turned to face the other alicorn. “But what can we do?!”

“I don’t know, but it’s too dangerous; we have to stop this or Equestria will be at peril!” Luna stopped to think for a moment. “...Let’s try to contain her.”

The two sisters’ horns started shining brightly, their magic slowly forming a dome around Twilight’s body, Telling whether she was hurt was impossible,, as the magic radiating from her was utterly blinding.

“That won’t work, that will not work,” Celestia kept mumbling to herself with an undertone of despair in her voice.

Slowly, the two powerful alicorns’ faces exhibited a frown as the struggle to curb the stark magic worsened.

“And now what? We can’t contain her forever!” Celestia barked.

“What?!” Luna was taken aback more by the sternness in Celestia’s voice than her choice of words. “Do... don’t you have faith in your student? We can give her time.”

“Time to do what? She…... she’s lost control; she wasn’t ready, she was...” Celestia regressed to her previous murmuring, but now with a bit of fear in her voice.

“No! I don’t believe you, sister, you told me you had already stopped one of her surges, and you taught her how to bridle her magic, she even managed to control the element of magic! She is ready, we—”

Luna’s attempt at quelling her gleaming counterpart was cut off by another swell of magic. Both alicorns frowned as they searched for more strength to contain the ever-increasing force.

Eyes closed, the two alicorns remained silent for several moments, both focusing on the fierce magic in front of them and trying to ignore of the pain carried with it, lost in their own thought.

Luna was worried for the mare. ‘Poor Twilight, it’s probably your pain that your mind suffers from, trying to contain such might. It’s both beautiful and dangerous... there must be a way to save you. Her train of thought was suddenly derailed by Celestia.

“We have to. No—! Wwe must destroy her before it’s too late!”

Luna was startled; she couldn’t believe her own sister’s words. ‘Destroy..?’ Even when she was Nightmare Moon, Celestia had never intended to truly kill her, as she only wanted to stop her, despite knowing she hadn’t the power to do it. But Celestia wanted her sister back. Nightmare Moon, on her part, really wanted Celestia dead, Her intentions clear: she wanted domination, and was willing to destroy everything that crossed her path. Celestia had all the rights to destroy her, yet chose not to.

‘Now, Celestia‘s facing a frightened young mare. Even if Twilight isn’t her sister, she probably sees Twilight as her own child… yet she wants to kill her? ...True, Twilight’s state is actually a threat to the surrounding ponies, as raw magic without purpose is more harmful than any evil or chaos intentional spell. But she’s just an innocent child, not a lord of evil or some crazy alicorn’ Luna’s internal monologue was interrupted by her sister’s interjection.

“Luna, it’s the only way! Listen to me, we have to destroy this,” Celestia kept shouting, a resolute tone in her voice.

“Tia! What?! Do you realise what you are saying?” ‘this, she had really just called Twilight this?’ Luna was still having trouble understanding the behaviour of her sister.

“We have to protect Equestria!” Celestia’s face was still dead serious.

‘“Protect Equestria”... it’s true that eliminating Twilight from the equation would do that, as it’s true that killing is always the easiest solution... but they always chose not to. Keeping Equestria from peril is one thing, but annihilating every possible threat will instill fear in your subjects, instead of just feeling protected.’

Enduring pain as another wave of magic had to be contained, Luna’s thought process ceased yet again. ‘I don’t have time to argue or understand Tia’s strange behavior; I have to do something for the pony that risked her own life to free me.’

Luna took a deep breath and spoke, “Fine! ...Fine, sister, but I shall do it alone.”

“What?” It was Celestia’s turn to be taken aback by her sister’s words.

“I know you don’t really want to kill Tw—...somepony... and you know how magic works, as without the right mindset, it won’t be strong enough.”

“Are you saying I’m not strong enough to protect my people?!” Celestia’s nostrils flared, and a forceful gust of air was expelled as she stomped the ground with her hoof.

“No! No, it’s just...” ‘Is that fear in sister’s face? No, more importantly, what to say? She wants to protect her people… that can work.’ “Forget that! Can you protect me while I do... what has to be done? Since it’s almost night, my powers are stronger.” Luna knew Celestia couldn’t object to that fact.

“I guess you’re right, but we have to hurry.” Celestia again bore an appearance of resolution, but now Luna could see it was only a mask, hiding her true concern.

‘At least now I can try something... but what? There’s no way I can cancel the transformation or reach Twilight’s mind to ease her, as she will need time… Time is all she needs, but how? Complex spells wouldn’t work. Even the simplest thing like... like killing her... would take a lot of power. No! You can do it Luna, she saved you, think, think... there must be a way!’

It’s... so simple. Oh yes, it’s simple.

“Luna, are you alright?” Celestia was getting worried, seeing her sister basked in a dark blue aura. She had only encountered such a similar feat when combating foes such as Nightmare Moon or King Sombra—those that just threw everything they could without worrying for the consequences.

“Please, don’t worry about that, just protect me!” Celestia’s mind started focusing on the task to maintain the shield in front of her partially containing the magic from Twilight’s body. It was enough of a struggle with the help of Luna. Now that she was feeling pain coming from within her horn, she knew she couldn’t last much longer.

Celestia’s sight was blurred from the strain on her horn and the beads of sweat falling in her eyes, but she managed to catch sight of her sister putting all her magic toward the center of the dome. She saw Luna struggle to stay on her legs, her body shaking the more she poured magic into whichever spell she was casting.

Then everything was gone, the bright white magic, the dark blue aura from Luna, the pocket dimension finally giving up and fading away. They were back in the sky above Ponyville. Luna’s sparkling mane was now a dull, light blue mess; she was very exhausted.

“It’s...” Luna said, catching her breath, “done. Now, sister, I must rest.” Luna spoke, awaking Celestia.

Celestia was temporarily lost, her eyes wandering over the form of her tired sister and the town below them. What was done?’ Confusion was clearly expressed on her face.

Before taking flight to Canterlot, Luna gave a last look at her sister. Managing to put on a serious expression despite her exhaustion, she said, “I guess that leaves you to explain the situation to her friends.”

Celestia was unnerved. Since her return, Luna had always spoken to her with either a soft or stern voice, but this was the first time she heard so much... disdain toward her. Luna was already out of sight when her last words echoed in Celestia mind.

situation to her friends... her... friends.’ Celestia came with realisation as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“No, Luna has... no, we have killed Twilight Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

Thanks to SPrice for editing this chapter :)