• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 2,193 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's journey - Skarsnik



Follow the story of Spike and his assitant helping a lost lavender alicorn

  • ...
11
 53
 2,193

Chapter 11 - Teddy Bear

Spike wake up, hopped his bed and stretch himself. He was feeling great this morning, thank to Emerald taking care of Twilight he went to sleep early. He passed Twilight’s door trying to make little nose, there was no reason to wake her. When he reached the kitchen, he was in the mood to make pancakes. Since Twilight was back he was happy to prepare real breakfast again, it was worth the fact he had to wake up earlier. He finished his first batch of pancake for him and grabbed some gems to put on it then he start thinking.

So Emerald took Twilight to talk and maybe meet other ponies at a bar, no it was the contrary. Twilight wanted to go with Emerald, at a... bar, wait, no something isn’t right Emerald probably wanted to go to a bar to meet some mares, nothing wrong with that he is young, and he went with Twilight. No he didn’t want Twilight to come at the first place, nothing to worry. Ok Emerald is right, I act like her father or her brother. Let’s wake him up.

Spike went to knock on Emerald door but he realised the door was not closed, Ok that unusual, he pushed a bit the door and said:

“Emerald, wake up.”

“...” Emerald replied

Spike pushed the door open, “What did you say?” But Spike remained frozen from what he saw in Emerald’s bed. The violet blanket was spread across two ponies, a lavender one holding in her front legs the neck of an awaken green stallion, the rest of their bodies hidden. “You are bucki-”, but Spike was cut by a hush from the stallion.

“Sssh, don’t wake her!”

“What?” the drake replied in a whispering voice.

Spike could see the panic in Emerald eyes despite the dimmed light “It...It’s not what you think. Help me get out of here.”

Spike thought for a minute before replying but the pleading eyes of Emerald convinced him to give a chance to the stallion “Hu, ok. What do you want me to do?”

“She is too strong, I am stuck.” Spike lets out a small snort “and don’t laugh it-”, but Emerald froze when the alicorn’s hooves moved and start pressing him more toward her chest.

“Ok, I see” Spike helped Emerald by pulling off slowly the front legs of Twilight. With his renewed temporary freedom, Emerald wiggled out slowly from her grip and his bed. They moved to the living room in silence. “Ok, what happened?” asked Spike while offering a glass of orange juice to the stallion.

Nursing the welcomed beverage Emerald tell his previous evening to the drake.

After hearing most of it, Spike just smiled and said, “So, you did nothing?”

Emerald’s ears perk up “Hell no, I am not like that” then they felt in the back of his head “But I am sorry, I should not have take her and let her drink alcohol.”

“Na it’s fine, you did nothing wrong, It’s this stupid waitress fault.”

There was a small silence between the two before Emerald asked “Did she had a coltfriend? she called me Shiny.”

Spike simply laughed.

“What?”

“Shiny. It’s her brother, remember, Shining Armor.”

Emerald head dropped on the table “Oh, wow” then he muttered, “I feel stupid.”

Spike smirked “Used to refer him as Prince Armor? But to answer your question, I don’t think she had any coltfriend.”

The right ear of Emerald flickered “Really?”

Spike moved to fetch some pancakes for stallion “Yes, why?”

Emerald raised his head from the table, his gaze following Spike “I don’t know. She was an interesting party, close to the Princesses. Her brother is also somepony important. She must had a lot of ponies trying to court her.”

Spike shrugged “I think she had already her mind full with the idea of friendship to think about more.”

“Ok. Thank,” he said when Spike brought him some pancakes. “I never saw you make something like that.”

Spike chuckled “Like an old marefriend will say, I am a drake of many secrets.”

Emerald eyes opened wide “What, you never talked about your relationship before.”

Spike “Err. Look take care of Twilight while I am gone. I have to go.”

“Hey! Come on, you know about most of my romantic life, you can’t just go like that!”

The drake rushed through the door of the house “See you at lunch, Lord Teddy Bear!”

Emerald winced when the door closed, blaming on the effect of a small hangover. He levitated a jar of jam to put on his pancakes I wonder what kind of mares like Spike, there was probably lot of crystal mares going after their heroes.

This thought was still in his mind when he was lazing browsing the various books scattered across the living room, mainly fictitious work, that constituted a great deal of the alicorn pass time.
He gets interrupted while reading the first chapter of an old Daring Do book by the sound of the door of his bedroom opening and a purple head emerging through it.

“Good morning, Twilight” Emerald greeted.

“Hu, Hi” replied the confused alicorn peeking at the door. Her mane was a mess, she dragged the blanket with her. She looked around in every direction “Why I am...” she trailed looking at Emerald.

Emerald put the book he was holding at rest “Sorry, yesterday I was too tired to carry you in your bedroom, so I put you in mine and I slept on the couch.”

There was a small bush on the alicorn face when she say “Oh, you carried me? I am sorry. It’s a bit fuzzy.”

The stallion chuckled “Alcohol can do that, especially in the morning” He looked at the clock on the wall, lunch was still in two hours or so “Do you want breakfast? Spike made some pancakes.”

Twilight ears perk up at the word pancakes “Oh, thank you.” She took a place at the kitchen table.

Both mare and stallion remain silent while Emerald was reheating some leftover pancakes. He gave the two remaining pancakes to the alicorn before starting to use the leftover batter to make fresh one.

Emerald cleaned up the frying pan and the various plates used. After that, he took a sit at the opposite of the alicorn. He could saw her with a downcast expression, reinforced by the cold pancake resting her plate, her gaze fixed on nothing.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

Twilight eyes opened “Hu? Did I zone out?” she sighed, and slowly her muzzle was pointing more and more toward her lap. Moisture formed out at the corner of her eyes, followed by tears rolling down her cheeks.

When the first tear reached one of her hoof she tried to wipe her eyes, but it was not stopping. She looked at a worried Emerald “I am not alright.” fighting against her tears she kept talking “I had this dream...It feels so real.”

Emerald watched with worry as the alicorn fall back at crying openly after she stopped talking. He was again lost of what to do. Should he provide her comfort like Spike does with a hug? If she was her friend or a pony close to him maybe he could do it, but he barely knew her.

The alicorn sniffed and wiped her tears “I miss him… I miss them.”

Remembering how she called him, Emerald inquired “Your family?”

She nodded timidly. Emerald levitated a handkerchief for her to wipe her face. “I miss my little sister.” Emerald paused to look at the surprise on Twilight’s face. “I know it’s nothing like your… situation.”

Twilight wiped her muzzle clean “You really have a sister?”

“Yes, I never mentioned her to you? Anyways the first time I traveled with Spike, I realized that I missed my sister. I was so used to have her around me, pestering me or do what fillies love to do. That when this was not here, it feels really weird.”

Twilight did not answer immediately, but after some pondering she asked, “Can you talk about her?”

Emerald smiled at the idea of talking about his little sister “Her name is Pearl Scroll. She is only ten.”

“Pearl?” inquired Twilight.

“Yes, my mother has a weird idea for names. Since we inherit our last name from our father, she named us based on our coat color.” The stallion pointed at himself “I am Emerald because I am green, and she is Pearl because she is white pearl.”

“You sound like you don’t like your name.”

“Not really, It’s more… my mother. But I don’t want to bother you with her. So, yes, Pearl. She is an earth pony, she really like to draw.”

After some time of Emerald speaking about her sister, the mood of the alicorn was slowly becoming better as she was laughing at some anecdotes the stallion was sharing about her sister, often involving him.

There was a lull in the conversation and Twilight excused herself to go the bathroom, leaving Emerald again alone. He cleaned the kitchenware she had used and get back at reading the Daring Do book. When she get back, it was his turn to go to the bathroom to shower and other cleaning activity.

He descended the stair and saw the alicorn, not reading a book as she usually does when she was not outside. She had one wing spread wide and she was looking carefully at it.

“You know it’s funny,” she said abruptly when he reached the bottom of the stairs keeping her gaze on the wing.

“My sister?” tried to guess Emerald.

“No. Wings” she pointed at her the wings then her horn “magic” and finally she brought her hoof toward herself “me.”

“I am not sure to understand.”

She looked at the stallion with a small smile “I always thought magic was the most important thing for me, but-” She pointed again at the wing “-Flying is really nice, even if I mostly just crash a lot.” She giggled.

Emerald chuckled, but Twilight continued “Yes I know. Still it feels nice.” she paused “Then magic is quite frustrating, for all I remember levitating stuff was never a trouble after I get my cutie mark. But... you will found that stupid. I don’t think I would have been interested in going out with a friend just to enjoy each other company.”

“Yes, Spike told me you were not the most social pony.”

The smile on the alicorn’s face faltered “Yes… but I mean. It’s what socials ponies do? Doing things with their friends?”

Emerald eyes opened wide “You think I am your friend?”

Twilight’s ears felt in a neutral position “I don’t know, maybe? I mean you are the only pony I can talk and you are always helping me.”

Author's Note:

I am sorry for this short chapter and weird ending. But I had lots of struggles to write this chapter.
Next chapter will probably came at the end of the week.

It's sad because here a nice piece of art I commissioned for the start of the chapter