• Published 25th Jun 2015
  • 217 Views, 0 Comments

Turbulence - Featherpen Lullaby



Life in the theatre was great, sadly it didn't last and now I'm stuck here.

  • ...
 0
 217

Chapter 5

May 15th

Today was a bad day, Dawn Chaser got mad at me because I won’t call her ‘mum’. Then I got mad because she isn’t my mum so I shouldn’t call her that, so I told her that she wasn’t my mother and she said something about saving me. Then I calmly informed her that she had RUINED MY LIFE! She got upset and was all like “Moon Chaser! Go to your room this instant!”

Did I mention that she renamed me? Well she did, she called me Moon Chaser ‘cause I’m kind of silvery-gray like the moon and Chaser is the family name. My real name is Stage Wings but nopony calls me that, it’s always just Wings. It might seem like a silly name seeing as it’s part of the body but Mum was on sedatives and painkillers so she was a little woozy. She was so surprised by my pegasusness that she just named me Wings, the Stage bit was added later so it made more sense, when the midwife asked what she wanted to call me.
Which brings me back to the the fascinating tale of how I came to be. So after she was disowned Mum went straight back to the theatre to tell her mentor, the now retired lightboard operator, Flick Switch. Flick Switch’s reaction was completely different, she was so excited for Mum, she and her husband Theatre Ticket were horrified at Mum’s parents. They told her not to listen to them, that she was a wonderful mare and she would be a great mother and if her parents couldn’t see that then they were fools. Theatre Ticket and Flick Switch adopted her and she became Spotlight Switch, she dropped her old family name, which she never told me. I’m starting to realize just how much Mum kept from me, she had a lot of secrets.
Granny helped Mum with everything, from picking out the curtains for the nursery to dealing with morning sickness. She was a miracle worker and it didn't take long for her to work out not only adoption papers but getting a raise for Mum so she could get her own apartment for the two of us to live in when I eventually turned up.

I remember Mum describing one shopping trip in particular, she and Flick were looking for furniture for the nursery. By that time Mum was visibly pregnant and, being a bold young mare, she wasn't afraid to show it. A couple of mare's who hadn't liked Mum before she was forcefully ejected from society noticed them and came over to talk. According to Mum they called her a bunch of horrible things, things that made her question her decision to keep me. Then Flick came to Mum's rescue, Mum could never quite describe why but she said that when Granny stood beside her she didn't feel afraid anymore. The Mum stood up and told those mares that she didn't care about what they said, she was fine and she wouldn't give me up for anything. She always finished the story by telling me how glad she was that she hadn't.

Several months later Mum went to the hospital and returned with a fluffy little bundle of joy (That was me by the way).

Author's Note:

Yay! Longer chapter!