• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 1,271 Views, 24 Comments

I Don't Speak Pet - markhaox14



Mind reading? Cool! Communicating with animals? Super cool! Trying to mind read and communicate with Gummy? Well... Twilight tries it. But will she enjoy what he's trying to communicate?

  • ...
4
 24
 1,271

Gloomy.

I scribbled down into my journal. Until today, I had never believed that Gummy had a hidden intellectual side to him! But now... oh my gosh, think of all the possibilities! Clop clop clop clop clop. I was beginning to tap my hooves a bit in excitement. Keep it together, Twily. Keep it together. You're now in the presence of a very intelligent alligator! Wow, never thought I'd hear myself think that in my life.

I cleared my throat. "Ahem. Alright then, Gummy. I'm going to ask a few questions and requests. I'd like it if you could answer them to the best of your ability."

"If it shall be your wish, I shall answer as best I can."

"Great! First thing... may you state your full name, please?" It might be ridiculous, but... maybe Gummy had a surname that nopony ever learned. I'd like to identify him as such.

"My full name, Princess, is Gloomy 'Gummy' Scales." I slowed my writing down. Gloomy?

"Er... who, uh... named you?"

"Why, Miss Pie, of course. Miss Maud Pie. Miss Pinkamena Diane Pie gave me the name 'Gummy' upon finding my name too... depressing... to pronounce." Boy, I'll say it is.

"So, then... Maud... named you Gloomy...?"

"Yes."

"Er... why? No offense to her but... you live with the pony that might be the antonym of gloomy." There were others I knew that could also qualify for that spot.

"Aw, thanks, Twilight! Although I think Cheese Sandwich is also a good contender ooh and Party Favor too!" Actually, those two could give Pinkie a run for her bits.

"So why is that the case, Gum- er... what would you rather go by?"

"Princess, you may identify me as Gummy. I have accepted it." He then turned to me, his eyes no longer diverted and both focusing intently on me. I've... never seen Gummy appear so intense before. Or to be as serious as he was now. "Princess Twilight... look at me. Ask yourself... what do you see?"

Huh... it was... confusing, to say the least. I thought I could answer the question earlier, but... now... it was honestly much more perplexing to even think about. What did I see in front of me...? I saw the alligator I always thought I knew... small, cute... a little on the disgusting side I'll admit but... he was Pinkie's closest friend. But... it's so hard to see that now. The way he spoke... the way he thought... it just... made him into somepony else...

I cleared my throat, and slowly answered, "I see... I see the alligator that has always lived with Pinkie, Gummy."

He seemed to chuckle a bit. Immediately when I heard it, I knew it wasn't out of agreement with my answer. It seemed... ironic. Contradictory. "...I am a dwarf of a reptile, Princess. My short stature is not due to my age... in fact, I am a mature alligator, your highness. I have no teeth. I have no way to protect myself from other alligators or cragadiles, Celestia forbid those wretched things. I am deemed insignificant by most if not all of the ponies in this town. No one can understand me save for Spike, Miss Pinkamena, and Miss Maud. Everyday I question myself... what is my purpose in life? What can I do to make myself useful to Ponyville... to Equestria?"

"...Gummy...?" Pinkie asked, undeniably shocked.

He continued without pause. "So I ask you again, Princess... what do you see when you look at me? Because every time I look in a mirror... I see a useless reptile. A scaled dwarf. One that does not and cannot provide any purpose whatsoever to his community."

...I can't believe it. It was so clear... yet I couldn't see it. Gummy... h-how could he think like this? He lived with Pinkie Pie, for Celestia's sake! And... to think he was a fully mature gator!? I always thought he was a baby gator and that his teeth hadn't grown out yet! To think he was so unhappy with his self... I... I have to know... "...Gummy... this is very important... please answer this to me... to Pinkie Pie... as honestly as possible. What... what do you want to do now...?"

He didn't move... didn't blink. He had noticed Pinkie Pie starting to sniffle a bit... it was... it was always so strange... so unlike her... to see her sad. "...I've wanted to help my town since the moment I arrived, your highness. I just... I've never known how."

"B-but... you help me plan my parties, Gummy... you've already helped this town out more than you think I know you have!"

Gummy sighed. "...Princess Twilight... I have a request that I wish for you to grant me, if it is not any trouble."

"...what is it?"

He gazed up at me, his eyes almost begging for something. "...leave this helmet on me. Maybe... maybe this is my chance at helping Ponyville. Being granted the right to speak... the right to think... to voice... it's a godsend. One I wish to use to the best of my abilities. Please, Princess... I beg you... don't take this away from me."

...if I did... he'd be even more unhappy. How could I take something away... something so unique... so powerful... after just granting it? I picked Gummy up in my hooves. Every time I would touch him before, I was honestly disgusted. But now... now I feel closer to him than I ever did before. I embraced him, before setting him back down. I turned to Pinkie Pie. "Pinkie, I'm leaving the helmet on!"

She smiled widely, trotting to Gummy and wrapping him in a bear hug. "Yay! Gummy, you get to keep the helmet on! You get to finally go for your dreams! Just know that I always love you!"

Gummy chuckled a bit. "I love you more."

"No, I love you more!"

"I love you more."

Pinkie seemed to raise Gummy to her face, before she shouted at the top of her lungs, "I love you more!" I rubbed my ears a bit. I forgot how loud Pinkie can get sometimes. Gummy shot his tongue out at Pinkie's cheek, lapping upwards a bit, before nuzzling her. "May we go home, Miss Pinkamena?"

"Yes we may, Gummy! See you, Twilight!" Pinkie trotted out with Gummy on her back. I smiled a bit... but... something in the back of my head bugged me... something about the helmet... what... what did Gummy plan to do to help Ponyville...?