• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,123 Views, 450 Comments

OC SlamJam - Round Two - OC Slamjam



A compilation of all entries received from Round Two of the OC Slamjam, where authors invented OCs and were paired up into brackets to write a story about their opponent's OC and their own!

  • ...
1
 450
 1,123

Additional Discussion

Author's Note:

This chapter made so that votes and discussion on the last entry for this round won't mix with any additional discussion on the contest.

Comments ( 93 )

6086142
This makes two straight rounds in which Falcata's advanced by default.

If her Round of 16 opponent doesn't write her as a secret assassin, I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed in each and every one of you.

6086151
Fool, now you know her secret! Your life is in danger!

*Giant explosion in the distance*

Come with me if you want to live!

To continue my proud tradition of shamelessly self-promoting, and at the risk of it getting completely lost in the sea of vote comments, let me again point out my author roundup post. :ajsmug:

6086513

This is going to be a running joke, isn't it?

Dunkstein and Slamough is best Space Jam remix

6086151
If we both make it that far, you have my word.

I wonder how many points I'd lose by killing my OC in the final round?

6086537 Not necessarily. Some Mortal Kombat music would be a good alternative.

And you lie! Nothing beats Gerudo Jam!

6086789

Maybe that might make a good final round theme.

1v1 me

6086814 1vs1. No items. Obs' beard only.

Alright. I only have this weekend of internet (for realz this time), but I'm way too tired to deal with Minie Ball right now. She's Future-Aurora's problem. Freak. I just caught a spoiler that Minie's story is really good and Rachis's entry involves a poem. Thanks, WandererD. When I sleep through the new episode tomorrow I'll be blaming you.

Go read Lilligold's story if you haven't yet. It's mind-blowing, and I'm not even exaggerating. Go join the SlamJam Group if you haven't yet. Go to sleep if you haven't yet. (or if you live on the other side of the world)

slam ahead, therefore try jam

Comment posted by Mizuko deleted Jul 8th, 2015
Wanderer D
Moderator

6088184 You know, I stand by my choice of your story, but it does feel a bit like stretching it to justify it like you're doing here. I didn't really think it was as important as it was for 6087044, but honestly, there's no indication of her studying there at all. Personally, I don't think she needed a reason to be in Trottingham more than a reason to be around the cemetery at night.

6087405 I got a distinct North and South vibe from it. I really liked Minie's for the reasons I stated there, but yeah. Past D is also dealing with voting for her now.

6087665 The poem is amazing, no doubt. My issue was like I said in the group post: the characters don't interact, they're both only exposed through their more obvious traits from the character sheets and there's no story really involving both of them, which I don't think really meshes well with the spirit of the contest. If it weren't for that... in any case, when Rachis' author eventually comes out, if they post this chapter as a story, I'm faving it. The only thing I would disagree with you is that comment from Rachis not being relevant to the conversation... they were talking about food though. I think the issue there is more like the author was trying to throw in a reference to Rachis' traveling and considering himself an expert traveler, and ending up with an awkward sentence.

Now, I should really finish reading Trinket vs Mild...

Comment posted by Mizuko deleted Jul 8th, 2015

6088873 True. I write all my comments before I read anyone else's, though, so if I seem certain it's because as far as I know at the time, it is. I've only read up until Rachis and Mango's so far, so there are sure to be many more I'm not so certain of. So far every pair has had a clear winner, at least for me. I do my best to treat both entries fairly, though.

Overall, I guess I just see things a little differently in these stories than most of these readers. I don't know why. I also get really enthusiastic when I like something. I'm really sorry if I made anyone feel bad! I don't mean to! I haven't read a story in Round 2 so far that I didn't like! I just liked some more than others.

And thank you for standing with me for Wispy Willow. I just don't understand people sometimes.

6090637

Aww. She and the uncomfortable extra difficulty that she introduces to every round will be missed.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6090637 well that sucks

6090382

identity of the narrator

I actually meant that to be a joke.

Also, I appear to have hidden my little easter egg a little too well.

Oh, I was Minie Ball, by and by. Sorry for dropping out.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6093238 dude if I ever write a time travel story I want to use Minie in it

6093238

You made one hell of a hateable character, and you used her well. Shame you had to drop out.

6093238
Great character and great stories. Sad to see you drop out, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

6093238 I would love to hear the story of how you decided on her. And great job on your Round 2.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6095857 Pretty much for the same reason 6097148 listed.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6097274 I actually disagree with most of your reasoning and evaluations in several of those votes. I'm not going to tell you to change them, of course, but you seem to be focusing on the wrong thing and making wild allegations of other things for many of them.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6098278

everyone

hey I didn't say it was a slog. I loved the poem. I voted against it because it had zero to do with contest parameters and half the votes it has going for it are simply because it's a poem rather than what the entry should be judged on, but yes, it is a lovely poem.

So don't say everyone called it a slog.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6098470 you know you could get all of your essays reviews in one big blog later.

6098638
But then who else would write comments as long as the entries?

Wanderer D
Moderator

6098746 but he makes my admittedly very short votes so... inferior. :pinkiesad2:

6098770 It's not the size of your vote that matters; it's how you use it. :ajsmug:

Wanderer D
Moderator

6098808 i shouldn't be laughing

6097990 :twilightblush: Sorry, Baruka Barak Pansy. Can I call you Pansy? I feel like we've reached that point.
6098746 Me. :twilightsmile:

6098682

I'd like to hear your thoughts once you're able.

6098770
Is it not right to feel inferior in the presence of such a bearded man? Praise be to Burraku_Pansa the Great and Mighty, Reviewer of Horsewords and Wearer of Santa Hats in Summer!

6099973

If I wrote it, it would probably contain some racist shit about activists and telescopes.

6098638
What would be the point of that? My followers who are involved with the contest are probably already aware they're there in the comments, and these are more for the benefit of the authors than anything, I guess.

6099756
And gorilla costumes. Probably the more impressive of the two.

Also, why am I not getting notified about any replies to me? Just because they're not on the same chapter?

6100437
Yes, O Great Gorilla-Suited One. You are ever correct and insightful in concluding that comments need to be in the same chapter for notifications to work.

6097410

I actually disagree with most of your reasoning and evaluations in several of those votes. I'm not going to tell you to change them, of course, but you seem to be focusing on the wrong thing and making wild allegations of other things for many of them.

Alright.

First, we both know that not everybody's gonna see things the same way . . . so I might find something appealing for whatever reason, and you might hate it, or vice-versa. That's okay. I'm not saying this because I think you don't know it; I'm just establishing that this isn't gonna work out like my English senior seminar where a professor simply wrote "Wrong!" on the thesis and gave me a C- with no further comment. Mind you, that was on an opinion piece; I apparently liked the wrong poem.

I've been turning your comment over in my head for the better part of a day, and overall it hasn't really been a good day at work, so if I come off as a bit abrasive here, I apologize--that's not my intention.

What I did--what my process was--is I read every pair of entries (skipped default winners), writing down how the story made me feel as I went--what I noticed, and what I didn't. What I liked and what I didn't. Little pluses and minuses sometimes for what I felt worked, and what I felt didn't. Then, later, when I was back home and had reliable internets, I began to comment on the stories.

I'm not a nuanced reviewer--I really don't have any experience in that field, and perhaps I'm a poor contest judge as well. This is the first contest I've participated in where I've voted on entries, so it's entirely possible I'm missing the forest for the trees, so to speak. I had thought in the first round that it might be more useful to provide actual feedback, rather than just cast a vote. I assumed that the authors would take my opinion advisedly--if I said that something sucked, but everyone else said it was great, I'd imagine they'd ignore my opinion . . . and deservedly so. It might be that their story was too sophisticated for me to understand, or that I missed something obvious.

Believe me, that's not what kept your comment bouncing through my head all day long. Opinions vary, and I think if you look back at the last round, I voted for a few stories which didn't turn out to be winners. I don't feel that my opinion was wrong, but obviously it was in the minority. That's okay; again, I get that not everybody likes the same thing.

No, what bothers me is your statement that I made "wild allegations of other things." Because what that implies to me is that you believe I picked a winner in my mind for whatever nefarious reason, and then just made up a bunch of crap about the story I didn't like. Like you're saying that I was contacted by the authors of some of the stories, and that they bribed me to vote for them. Trust me, that did not happen, and I can assure you that the only story which I went into with a bias was my own. And let me add this--if I felt that my opponent's story was significantly better than my own, I would vote for my opponent.

But you don't know that . . . of course you don't know that. So let me make you this offer: PM me which stories you think I made "wild allegations" on. I'll re-examine them, and tell you what my reasoning behind my choices was. And I give you my word, if upon re-examination, I find that I missed something I should have seen, made a mistake about who wrote what story, or made a genuine "wild allegation," I will reflect that in my comments on the chapter, and may choose to change my vote. If we both come to an agreement that I voted to the best of my ability and knowledge, but could do better in the next round, I will put a genuine effort into improving my voting and reviewing skills.

If I do not do this, you have my permission to punch me, should we meet at Bronycon this year--because if I do not, I deserve it.

--admiral biscuit

Same offer applies to you, 6097426. PM me with the ones where you think I screwed up.

6100672

>nefarious

Oh no no no no. I only meant that your comments focus on things like "I liked the setting" or "the conflict seemed contrived" and other qualities that aren't the same as how D and I are making our decisions. Sometimes those factors seem rather irrelevant.

6100810

I only meant that your comments focus on things like "I liked the setting" or "the conflict seemed contrived" and other qualities that aren't the same as how D and I are making our decisions.

That's fair, and I'm totally okay with that--each of us is bringing our own skillset and our own particular baggage to the contest and to the voting. I'm totally okay with that. But I just want to say--and this is my baggage--I suffered through the comments on the EFNW contest, and you were agreeing to a post which claimed I was looking at the "wrong things," and making "wild allegations." That strikes me as a pretty personal attack, and it's something I want to get to the bottom of . . . 'cause if I am totally misunderstanding this contest, the rules, and whatever else, then I might as well either learn now and correct my mistakes, or realize that I'm out of my league, and retire gracefully.

6100980

Almost universally, the comments here are are trying to balance "best written" vs "most in keeping with the spirit of the contest"; look at Mango vs Rachis for the greatest example. So when you say things like "this is cliche," it seems like your basis is "wrong."

but maybe D should speak for himself.

Wanderer D
Moderator

6100672 I definitely will, but rest assured I never thought something like that of you. Today has just been REALLY long so I'll get back to you tomorrow.

6103971
Aw, bollocks, I was just about to do that. Oh well. Next round.

6104696
What might be a good idea is to reserve an early comment in the discussion chapter for it ASAP, and maybe update it at the end of each day or two. I feel like John's comment could wind up getting lost if we have much more discussion this round, but having it be the first thing people come to in the discussion or on the story page itself would be nice.

6104744
Yep, that was the plan. Although, with how few stories there will be in the coming rounds, might not be quite as bad.

6105428 Downvoted for puns.

6106664

I don't know about the others, but I didn't penalize him for using a poem - I personally found it a joy to read and commend him for pulling that off. The problem I had with the story is that there was no interaction between the OCs. The two of them could have visited Zecora months apart and never been in the same room and it wouldn't have really changed anything about the story. That's the problem I had with it - the author created an interesting setting, and wrote two good stories in it, one for each character, rather than writing one good story about both of them. If he had included any significant interaction between the characters, I would have given him the win, no question. This wasn't a problem of him breaking the rules, it was the problem of him neglecting the nature of the competition. It would be like an American Idol contestant doing an instrumental solo - it doesn't matter how good a job you do, you won't win because that's not what the contest is about.

6106993

But the story was still about the characters. Zecora didn't distract from them, neither did the setting. I understand your reasoning, of course, but to me I don't think that automatically means the story was out of line with the contest.

Login or register to comment