• Published 25th May 2015
  • 3,083 Views, 46 Comments

The Next Generation of Harmony - SammyRosePony



The ponies you know and love now have KIDS. Read on to experience their adventures

  • ...
8
 46
 3,083

4: Gardening Season

It was late in the evening, but not too late to the point where ponies were already going to bed. Though, one pony was off to bed preparing herself for the next day.

“Lightning Rose, why are you going to bed at this time,” Fluttershy had asked her daughter, “You usually are up for at least another hour or two.”

“I know it’s early, but tomorrow is the start of my Gardening Season,” said Lightning.

“Gardening Season?”

“Yeah. A whole ton of ponies asked me to do their gardens. Not to mention I got to work on my own garden.”

“Explain how much a “whole ton” is exactly,” Fluttershy wondering what her daughter got herself into.

“Oh, about a couple dozen,” said Lightning.

“What!? This is going to take you at least a minimum of a month right?”

“Nope. I’m doing it all in a week.”

“A week? But sweetie, that’s a lot to do. Can’t one of the other garden ponies such as Daisy or Roseluck do some of it?”

“I guess they could, but all these ponies asked for me specifically.”

“Well if they asked for you specifically I guess you got to do it,” said Fluttershy.

“Thanks for understanding mom,” said Lightning, “Now I got to go to bed now if I want to get an early start.”

“Why don’t you get one or two of your friends to help. You could get a couple dozen gardens done in a week faster,” suggested Fluttershy.

“No! I mean, I’m pretty sure I got this.”

“Okay. Goodnight sweetie.”

“Goodnight mom,” said Lightning.

“Wait Lightning. Just remember, don’t overwork yourself,” Fluttershy said remembering and incident that had happened with one of her friends.

“Okay mom.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The very next day Lightning got up bright and early. She got her supplies and headed out the door. She walked half way across town to her first stop. She knocked on the door. A greenish colored pony who had a greenish colored mane and golden yellow eyes opened the door.

“Hello there Miss Lyra Heartstrings. I’m here to tend to your garden,” Lightning said as she greeted Lyra.

“Why hello Miss Lightning Rose,” said Lyra, “I’m so glad you could come at this time of day. I’m having a get together with some of my friends, and I want the garden to look nice.”

“Cool. When are you having your get together so I have an idea of how long it should take me,” said Lightning.

“In a few hours,” said Lyra.

“In a few hours? Then why’d you want me to come so early,” asked Lightning.

“I’m gonna take it you haven’t seen my garden,” said Lyra. Lightning shook her head. Lyra directed Lightning to the backyard. Lightning’s jaw dropped at the sight of the poor yard. Most of grass was dying, weeds were popping up everywhere, flowers were all droopy, vegetables and fruits did not look appetizing, and the trees looked like they could fall at any moment. “This is why I wanted you to come early,” said Lyra. Sweat started coming down Lightnings face.

“Hehe, looks like I better get started,” said Lightning.

“Take all the time you need.” Lightning was left frozen. She had not seen a garden that bad before. She knew that this wouldn’t end well for her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few hours past and Lightning was finally done. Everything looked like it was all brand new. “Wow,” said Lyra, “You really have a talent for gardening.”

“Well it is my talent,” Lightning said pointing at her cutie mark.

“I just can’t believe you did it. You’re a miracle worker,” said Lyra.

“By the way,” Lightning started, “What time is it?”

“It’s about 1:00,” said Lyra.

“WHAT!! I was supposed to be at Cranky and Matilda’s house like three hours ago!” Lightning quickly grabbed all her stuff and quickly burst out of Lyra’s yard and flew as quick as she could to Cranky and Matilda’s house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t believe it,” said Cranky, “She said she could do it for cheap, and she’s not even here three hours past the time that she was supposed to be here! It’s the wedding invitations all over again.”

"Calm down Cranky. It’s not like it’s the end of the world. Lightning’s a nice young mare. I’m sure she has a reason for being late,” said Matilda. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door. “See Cranky, what did I tell you?”

“So so so so SOOOOOO sorry I’m late. I’m doing a whole bunch of ponies’ gardens and my first one took way longer than I thought,” explained Lightning.

“It’s totally fine,” said Matilda, “Take all the time you need.”

“What? I can’t take time. I have to work extra hard now if I want to do all the other ponies that are scheduled for today.”

I’m sure you can get your friends to help. They’re always there to lend a ho-”

“No I’m fine. I can do this on my own.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m super sure.” Lightning then started working on the garden.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestia’s sun has set, and Luna’s moon had risen. Fluttershy was now awaiting the return home of her daughter.

“It’s getting pretty late,” said Bulk Biceps, Fluttershy’s husband and Lighting’s father, “Where’s Lightning.

“She’s out doing ponies’ gardens.”

“How long has she been out?”

“Probably since the sun came up this morning.”

“Does she at least have somepony helping her?”

“I don’t think so. I mentioned it last night. She kinda yelled no and then claimed she could do it all on her own.” The front door then opened and Lightning came in. “Oh hello Lightning. How was your day.”

“Great. Just great,” said Lightning. Lightning had bags under eyes, and she could hardly keep her balance.

“Lightning dear, are you alright,” asked Fluttershy.

“You don’t look so good,” said Bulk Biceps.

“I’m fine. I’m totally fine,” Lightning said trying to smile through her tiredness.

“How many gardens did you get done today,” asked Fluttershy.

“two,” mumbled Lightning.

“What was that,” asked Bulk Biceps.

“TWO,” yelled Lightning in the same way as her father. “Oops. Sorry I yelled. It’s just not fair. How am I supposed to get a couple dozen ponies’ gardens done by the end of the week when I only got two done on the first day.”

“You can always ask help from your friends,” said Fluttershy.

“Mom, I already said no.”

“I know what you said, but these are your best friends we’re talking about. They’d help anypony.”

“Mom. I already said no. I can do this.” Lightning then let out a large yawn. “I’m getting tired.”

“You’re just now getting tired,” asked Bulk Biceps. Fluttershy then glared at Bulk telling him to not speak.

“I’m off to bed,” said Lightning.

“Wait aren’t you going to have dinner,” asked Fluttershy.

“If I want to get an early start tomorrow, I have to go to bed now,” said Lightning.

“Well, I uh, okay. Good night.”

“Good night.”

Fluttershy then looked down at the food on the table.

“Don’t worry Shy. I’m sure she’ll realize it soon,” said Bulk Biceps.

“Are you sure,” Fluttershy asked.

“To be honest, I have no idea.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Lightning continued to work on ponies’ gardens. She had finished about 3 ponies gardens in just about six hours. The forth pony she was helping out was Twilight.

“Wow,” said Twilight, “Garden looks nice. I haven’t haven’t seen it this good since I asked you to fix it for me when you were twelve.”

“Well it says it right there in my cutie mark,” said Lightning.

“It sure does,” Twilight replied. She looked at Lightning concerned. Lightning looked like she was about to fall asleep and then having to wake herself up. “You alright sweetie?”

“Huh? Oh yeah. I’m fine,” said Lightning.

“Oh hi Lightning,” said Twilight’s daughter Midnight, “How are you doing-.” She was cut off by how tired she looked. “Are you alright Lightning?”

“Like I told your mother, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure. How long have you been working,” asked Midnight.

“I’m sure of it. I’ve only been working all day today and all day yesterday.”

“You sure you don’t need help?”

“Nope. I’m fine. Everything is fine. I can do this on my own.”

“If you say so.”

“Oh look at the time! I’ve gotta go. Still a lot more ponies to do this whole week.”

“Oh-well bye then,” said Midnight.

“Stay safe,” said Twilight. Lightning waved and then flew away. “I want you to follow her,” Twilight told Midnight.

“Follow her? You mean like stalk her,” asked Midnight.

“No not like that. Though I’ve seen you do that to other ponies including myself, and your pretty good at it.” Midnight giggled at what her mother just said. “I mean follow her as to make sure she’s okay.”

“Okay mom,” Midnight said. She then flew off to find Lightning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lightning continued on with her day fixing up other gardens. Like Twilight told Midnight, Midnight followed her. She always knew Lightning wasn’t the best when offered help, but she knew that Lightning couldn’t do this all on her own. Suddenly, Misty came to talk to Lightning.

“Hey Lightning,” said Misty.

“Huh!? Oh. Hello Misty. What brings you here,” asked Lightning.

“I have a couple rain clouds to get rid of. I was wondering if you could help me get rid of them. I know you’re busy, but I really need to get this done quickly.”

Lightning looked at the position of the sun to see what time it was. “I guess I could help you for a few minutes.”

“Great!” Misty then flew up towards the clouds and Lightning followed behind her.

“So what should I do,” asked Lightning.

“Just kick the clouds. But not too hard. You could send a cloud flying across Ponyville, and crash into somepony flying. I don’t want ponies getting mad at me. Again.”

“Okay,” Lightning replied. Lightning and Misty were busting clouds for about ten minutes before Lightning realized what time it was. “Oh my Celestia! I’ve been busting clouds for ten minutes. I need to get back to gardening.” She then kicked the last cloud as hard as she could.

“WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU ABOUT KICKING THE CLOUDS TO HARD,” Misty yelled as she chased the cloud.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I know I saw her go this way,” said Midnight, “Maybe she over-OOF!” Midnight was knocked out of the sky by a cloud. “I think I know which way to go now.”

“Oh my goodness! Are you okay Midnight,” said Misty coming down to help her up.

“Yeah I’m fine. Let me guess, Lightning Rose?”

“Yeah. How’d you know that?”

“Lucky guess. I’m gonna go talk to her.”

“I’m pretty sure you’re not going to get anything out of her,” said Misty. “She won’t accept anypony’s help. Out of you, me, her, Jade, Apple Slice, and Cheesecake, who’s the oldest?”

“Lightning.”

“And you know why she won’t accept anypony’s help?”

I know, I know. Since she’s the oldest of all our moms’ kids, she feels she should be the one who can do everything herself. This is a huge issue for her.”

“I know. Now do you think you’ll be able to help her?”

“My mind is telling me no, but something else is telling me, there’s a way.”

“Good luck.”

“Thanks. I’ll need it.” Midnight then flew off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Where did she go,” Midnight asked herself when she saw that Lightning was no longer there. As she looked into the distance, she saw all different kinds of animals coming towards Ponyville.

“Stampede,” yelled a random pony. A ton of animals started running into Ponyville. Behind all the animals, Sweet Apple and Jazzy were seen running after them.

“Come back here,” yelled Jazzy.

“You guys are gonna get us grounded,” yelled Sweet Apple.

“Jazzy Jubilee! Sweet Apple! What’s going on,” asked Midnight.

“First of all,” said Jazzy, “Her fault.”

“Hey,” said Sweet Apple.

“Well it was.”

“Explain what happen,” said Midnight.

“Well, Winona Jr. started acting up. We decided to go get Fluttershy,” said Sweet Apple.

“Okay...”

“Fluttershy’s house is all the way across town, and I didn’t feel like walking that far. I saw Lightning working on somepony’s garden, and asked her instead. I thought since she’s Fluttershy’s daughter that she would be just as good as Fluttershy. Long story short, she sent all the animals at the farm on a rampage.”

“Like I said,” said Jazzy, “Her fault.”

“Okay, I’ll go talk to her,” said Midnight, “Don’t cause anymore trouble.”

“You got it,” they both said.

As Midnight flew away, the two fillies turned around. When they turned around, they didn’t expect to see who was standing behind them.

“H-Hey Aunt Apple Bloom,” said Sweet Apple.

“Hi mom. How is it going,” said Jazzy.

"Jazzy Jubilee and Sweet Apple! I had to leave the farm and crying twins to get you two. What do you have to say for yourself."

The two apple fillies laughed in fear.

“You two. Home. Now.”

“Yes ma’am.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After helping with the animals, Midnight continued on her search for Lightning.

“Okay seriously, where is that mare.” Midnight then finally spotted Lightning. “Hi Lightning. Still doing those gardens I see.”

“Well what else what I be doing this week,” Lightning asked. Lightning couldn’t even stand still. Her body was swaying back and forth like she was on a boat. At certain moments she would quickly open her wings to catch her balance so she doesn’t fall.

“Lightning, you don’t look so good.”

“I assure you I’m perfectly fine.”

“You can’t keep going like this. You need some help. You know, I could-”

“No Midnight! I don’t need your help! I don’t need anypony’s help! I can do this on my own! Now if you excuse me, I need to finish up this garden. After this I get to head home, and then I get to continue tomorrow morning.”

“Are you sure it has to be tomorrow morning? Can’t it be tomorrow afternoon. At least give yourself a break.”

“I’m sorry Midnight, I just need to get everypony’s garden done by the end of the week. I got to go know. Bye.”

“Bye.” Walking back home to the castle, Midnight thought to herself, “Tomorrow is only Tuesday. There’s no way she’s going to make it to Saturday.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Midnight decided to stop by Lightning’s house. “Hello Aunt Fluttershy. How’ve you been?”

“Why I’ve been just fine dear. And you,” said Fluttershy.

“I’ve been good. Is Lightning still here,” Midnight asked.

“I’m afraid not. She left probably about half an hour ago.”

“Of course she did,” Midnight said to herself.

“What was that?”

“Oh nothing. Who’s garden is she working on now?”

“Actually no one’s. Cheesecake came by and asked if she could help her with a foal’s birthday party. She’s most likely at Sugar Cube Corner.”

“Alright. Thank you Aunt Fluttershy.”

“Anytime sweetie.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Welcome to the birthday bash of Shooting Star,” Cheesecake cheered proudly. “With me today is my assistant, Lightning Rose.” Lightning smiled at the crowd of little foals and waved. She did have the look of wanting to be somewhere else at the moment. “Okay everypony! Who wants to play Pin the Tail On the Pony!” “We do,” yelled all the children. “Alright, I’ll leave you with Miss Lightning.”

“Excuse me,” said Lightning, “You expect me to run the game for them.”

“It’s just for a little bit. Just until I get the snacks, foods, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, and punch out. Trust me. It’ll be okay.”

“Alright fine.”

As Cheesecake walked over to the kitchen area, Midnight walked in. “Hey Nighty! What brings you hear,” asked Cheesecake.

“Fluttershy told me Lightning was here,” said Midnight.

“Yep. She’s over there with those little kids helping with Pin the Tail On the Pony,” Cheesecake said pointing at her. Lightning was helping the children play the game, but she didn’t look to happy.

“You know what she rather be doing right,” Midnight asked.

“Of course I do,” said Cheesecake, “She told me that she’s heading to Sweet Apple Acres after this.” All of a sudden, they heard complaining.

“That’s not fair! I should have won,” said one of the little foals.

“Look. This little filly right here got the closest to the pony. Therefore, she’s the winner,” Lightning said.

“But I need to win at everything!”

“You can’t have everything you want kid. Trust me. I rather be some where else at the moment.”

“IT”S NOT FAIR!”

“Well guess what? Life’s not fair. Now would you just please SHUT UP!” The room was filled with silence after that.

“Doesn’t Lightning get angry when she hasn’t had enough sleep,” Cheesecake asked.

“Yep,” said Midnight, “Remember that camping trip we took four years ago.”

“Yeah. Not one of my favorite memories.”

Lightning started walking towards the door. “H-Hey where you going,” asked Cheesecake.

“I’m done here. I’m going back to my gardening. If anypony needs me, I’ll be at Sweet Apple Acres.” Lightning then walked out slamming the door.

“You’re gonna follow her aren’t you,” asked Cheesecake.

“I have to. Plus there’s somepony there who I think could put some sense into her.”

“Good luck.”

“Thanks. I’ll need it.” Midnight then walked out the door and headed to Sweet Apple Acres.

———————————————————————————————

Midnight then arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. She spotted Lightning and started to walk up to her. That’s when Apple Slice saw her. “Hey Midni-“ He was cut of because Midnight had flew up to him and covered his mouth.

“Shhh,” said Midnight.

“Now what in tarnation was that for,” said Apple Slice. Midnight then whispered something in his ear. “Okay I think I could do that.”

“Do you understand,” asked Midnight.

“Eeyup.”

“Okay. Now don’t do it until I give you the signal.”

“Alright.”

Midnight trotted over to Lightning. “Hey Lightning.”

“Midnight. When are you going to see that I can do this on my own,” said Lightning.

“When I believe it. Right now, I don’t think you can do it.”

“Midnight! What a thing to say to a friend.”

‘I’m not trying to be mean. I’m trying to help you. I want to help you.”

“Midnight. Like I said before, I can handle this.”

“But look at you. It’s only Tuesday. How are you gonna last ’til the end of the week?”

“Some how I will. I don’t need help from ponies like you. No offense.”

That’s when Midnight looked back at Apple Slice. She winked at him. He then ran into the barn. “What makes you think that ponies like me can’t help.”

“Nothing. It’s just…”

“Does it have to do with the fact that I’m a princess?”

“No, no, no. It’s hard-It’s hard to explain. Let’s just say that there’s nothing to explain.”

“Oh sugar cube,” said a voice, “I don’t think that’s a valid reason for not gettin any help.” Midnight and Lightning both looked in the direction of the voice. They both saw an orange mare with blonde mane and three apples for a cutie mark.

“A-Applejack,” Lightning said kind of confused.

“Hey there.”

“What are you doing here?”

“These two said I should come.”

“Why?”

“Sugar cube, I went through somethin like what you are goin through. I didn’t want help from anypony. I even thought I was able to harvest all the apples during Apple Buck Season all by myself. I was wrong. It wasn’t until Midnight’s mom, Twilight, showed me that there will be times where a pony can’t do everythin on her own. With the help of my friends, includin your mom, I was able to finish harvestin in time. Now what’s the reason you don’t want anypony’s help?”

“I-I don’t really want to talk about it,” said Lightning.

“Well why not?”

“I-I just don’t feel comfortable about it.”

“Does your mom know what it’s about?”

“I don't actually know if she does.”

“Mind if I ask her?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. Now I understand you don’t really want help, but this is a time where you really need it. Now go ask for help,” Applejack said pointing at Midnight.

Lightning took a deep breathe and asked her. “Midnight Sparkle, would you like to help me with gardening? For the rest of the week?”

“I would loved to,” replied Midnight. The two ponies walked towards the garden to start there job.

“Hey Midnight,” said Lightning.

“Yeah?”

“Thank you. I wouldn’t have survived the rest of the week if you hadn’t done what you did.”

“No problem. Besides, that’s what best friends are for.”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading:pinkiehappy:
Sorry this is like two or three months (I lost count) since the last update. I just started high school like 4 or 5 weeks ago. I'm also a dancer and that started the same week as school, so I've been real busy. hope to get the next chapter out to you guys soon.
Bye:derpytongue2: