• Published 25th May 2015
  • 3,083 Views, 46 Comments

The Next Generation of Harmony - SammyRosePony



The ponies you know and love now have KIDS. Read on to experience their adventures

  • ...
8
 46
 3,083

10: Schoolyard Games

“Come on guys! We’re going to be late,” Rainboom called out.

“Calm down there little guy,” Rainbow said to her son. “We’re not going to be late.

“In fact,” Twilight added. “We’re just about early if anything.”

Today was a very special day for all the young ponies of Ponyville. Today was the Schoolyard Games. All the children compete against each other in different events. These games don’t just include one age group of ponies. It includes all ages who attend school at the Ponyville Schoolhouse. Behind Rainboom, Starlight and Sweet Apple followed. Their mothers and older siblings were close behind them.

“If we aren’t late, how come Aunt Apple Bloom and Jazzy Jubilee left earlier,” Sweet Apple asked.

“Because they are helping set up. Your Aunt Cheerilee can’t do that all on her own even if she tried. Plus, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo always help out at school events. It just seems to be in their nature,” Applejack replied.

“Makes sense,” Twilight added. “They were students of Cheerilee’s, and they were one of the first classes to compete in the Schoolyard Games.”

Not long after, the ponies arrived at the school. Ponies were running around all excited. Food stands were set up the sent a delicious aroma around the site. The young ponies were getting ready with their classes.

“Why don’t you three go ahead and play over by the playground equipment,” a voice called. The ponies looked behind them to see Apple Bloom who was followed by Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

“I can’t believe our playground equipment has been around since you guys were our age,” Sweet Apple said.

“Well the equipment wasn’t always like that. We had older ones before this one, but somepony decided she needed to fight an evil magic-sucking monster from Tartarus,” Apple Bloom said her eyes pointing at Twilight.

“What,” Twilight said. “He blew up my library I had to do something.”

“Don’t worry Twilight. I’m just kidding.”

“Well the new equipment wouldn’t be here without Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo,” another voiced said.

The ponies turned around to see Diamond Tiara and her husband, Pipsqueak, coming over. Over the years, Diamond Tiara has become an amazing leader to all the ponies. She was able to gain the trust of all the ponies she went to school with. She soon became Mayor of Ponyville.

“Mayor Tiara,” The three children called out.

“You three should really get with your class. The games will be starting soon. And please, call me Diamond Tiara. No need to be formal, we’re all friends here.”

The three ran off to find there class.

“Honestly,” Sweetie Belle said. “You two are the reason the school has the new equipment. The money came from your father, and Pip was Student Pony President.”

“We couldn’t have done all that without your help,” Pipsqueak replied.

“Well you did help us in a way,” Scootaloo added.

“And what’s that,” asked Diamond Tiara.

“You helped us earn out cutie marks,” Scootaloo said.

“Enough chit chat about our past now. So Tiara, I hear Diamond Heart and Chip are competing this year. Which classes are they in again,” asked Applejack.

“Oh yes, they are competing. Diamond Heart is in Class 3 with your children, and Chip is in Class 2 with the Crusaders’ kids.”

“Let’s cut to the chase here” Rainbow said. “Class 3 is gonna win.”

“Not a chance,” Scootaloo replied. “Class 2 is going to win.” Apple Bloom nodded in agreement. “Uh Sweetie Belle? Representing Class 2 of here.”

“Yeah, I will be rooting for Harmony and Class 2, but my son is also in Class 1 so…”

“Right, can’t be bias towards one child.”

“Sounds like there’s going to be some competition this year,” Twilight added. “Let’s go take our seats. The games are about to start”

The ponies started walking towards the seats when Midnight said something to her mom.

“Do you think Star will be okay today? You know with how she’s been acting lately.”

“She’ll be fine,” Twilight replied.

————————————————————————————————————————————

“Welcome fillies and gentlecolts,” Cheerilee called out. “Welcome to the annual Schoolyard Games!”

Everypony cheered.

“This year we have all three classes competing. They will be competing in 12 different events with certain ones being made specifically for earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns!”

Starlight’s heart started beating at the sound of that. She was hoping she’d wouldn’t be chosen to compete in the events for unicorns given she’s not good with magic. Beads of sweat fell from her face.

“You okay Star,” Sweet Apple asked. “It’s not that hot, we haven’t even started the games, and you’re already sweating.”

“Y-Yeah I’m fine.”

“We’d like to thank Pinkie Pie for volunteering to be our official commentator since I’m just in charge of watching over the games” Cheerilee said.

“Good morning everypony,” Pinkie Pie called out from a hot air balloon. “I will be giving you all live coverage of this year’s Schoolyard Games. I’d like to give a shout out to my two daughters who competed in these games when they were little fillies.”

Cheesecake and Chocolate Strawberry cheered.

“Our first event is a simple 3 lap race. All competitors in all classes will be running. The rules are simple, all fillies and colts will run as fast as they can. They have to run around the track three times. There will be individual prizes for the first, second, and third place runners. After the race, all the times of each racer will be averaged to find the class time. The class with the fastest time wins. Remember, unicorns are not allowed to use magic, and pegasi may not use their wings. Everypony to the start line!”

All the fillies and colts lined up at the line.

“This is going to be a piece of cake,” Rainboom said.

“Ha,” Sound Wave said who was next to Rainboom. “You may be fast, but can you make Class 3 win? Coming from Class 2, I know that pretty much everypony is a fast runner in my class.”

“You’re on.”

“Little ponies, on your marks!”

All the ponies readied themselves to run.

“Get set, GO!”

The ponies ran off at the speed of light. Starlight looked around. There were many ponies in front of her, but there were also ponies behind her. Her pace was pretty good in the first lap, but she started to fall behind once the second lap came around. Ponies were able to out run her. Her heart started pounding once more. She was now on her third lap. She looked around and realized she was last. She saw the finished line and tried to pick up the pace.

“And Starlight Aurora from Class 3 finishes off the race.”

Starlight was totally out of breath. She tried to regain her stamina before walking forward.

“Hey,” Sweet Apple said also out of breath. “You did great.”

“Thanks,” Starlight said trying to look happy.

“And the scores are in,” Pinkie Pie called out. “In first place we have Sound Wave from Class 2. In second place we have Rainboom from Class 3. And in third place we have Chip from Class 2.”

Everypony cheered.

“Now for class scores. In first place is Class 2. In second place is Class 1. In third place we have Class 3. On our score board, we have Class 2 with two points, Class 1 with one point, and Class 3 with zero points. We’ll see everypony at the next event.”

“Ugh nice going Starlight,” Diamond Heart said. “You made us loose the whole first event.”

“It’s not her fault,” Sweet Apple said. “There are about twenty of us in Class 3. She’s just a single pony. Her time couldn’t have made a that big of a difference in the overall average time. It’s not like you were up with the fast ponies!”

“Ugh whatever. Let’s just get to the next event.”

————————————————————————————————————————————

“Welcome back everypony,” Pinkie called out. “the next event is specifically for our earth pony competitors. Thank you Sweet Apple Acres for sponsoring this event. They have built apple bucking simulators. The ponies who buck the most trees in the time given will win their prizes. Like the last event, the scores will be averaged to find the overall class score.”

“Come on Sweet Apple! You can do it! You are raised on an apple farm,” Rainboom called out.

“Ha,” Diamond Heart said. “Who says she’s any good at apple bucking.”

“Like you can do better,” Sweet Apple said.

“Well I know Starlight wouldn’t be able to do it. She’s weak. I mean look at her,” Diamond Heart said pointing Starlight. “Can you even believe she’s the daughter of a princess and a royal guard. I mean, what an embarrassment for a unicorn, or a pony for that matter. She wouldn’t even be able to pass for an earth pony.”

Diamond Heart walked away to take her spot in the competition.

“Are you okay,” Sweet Apple asked.

“Y-Yeah I’m fine. Just go take your spot for the competition. Good luck.”

“Thanks,” Sweet Apple said running towards her spot.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

“And first place goes to Sweet Apple from Class 3, second goes to Jazzy Jubilee from Class 2, and third goes to Chip from Class 2! Apple Family representing for first and second place. Class 1 receives zero points, Class 2 receives two, and Class 3 receives one. This puts Class 2 in first with a total of four points, and Class 3 and 1 are tied for second with one point. Great job everypony!”

“You did great Sweet Apple. Congratulations,” Starlight said.

“Thanks Star.”

“Attention Everypony,” yelled Pinkie. “Event 3 will be starting very soon. Stay tuned for the grand finale where one unicorn from each class will be chosen to compete in the Magical Showdown!”

Starlight gulped with fright. She did not want to be chosen. She has no magical abilities. She couldn’t be chosen for that event.

Several events passed. Starlight’s mind was still on the last event, and she couldn’t focus on any of the events.

“Time for event number seven,” called Pinkie. “This one’s for the pegasi. Just like the first event, it’s a simple three lap race. Except, the ponies are flying in the air. That’s why it’s for pegasi. Pegasi, take your places!”

“Good luck Rainboom,” Starlight called out.

“Don’t worry,” he replied. “I got this in the bag.”

Rainboom flew up towards the race.

“At least your not a pegasus,” Diamond Heart told Starlight. “I wouldn’t want to be the cause of another loss. Even one that’s just a simple race.”

“Don’t listen to her,” Sweet Apple said taking Starlight away from her.

“Why does she have to be so mean,” Starlight asked.

“Who knows. It’s a shame really. Both her parents and her brother are so nice. Must be one of those things that skip generations given that Spoiled Rich is a witch herself.”

——————————————————————————————————————————

The games continued on with Rainboom winning first place for Class 3, and Sound Wave winning second for Class 2. As the games continued, the last event and everything Diamond Heart has told Starlight took over her mind. Her focus on competing was gone.

“Ladies and gentlecolts, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, event 12, the Magical Showdown!”

Everypony cheered in response.

“This event is one of the most looked forward to every year. In fact, we have an old competitor of this event in the crowd. Midnight Sparkle won this event and brought her class to victory. Those alicorn genes probably really helped her out there.”

Starlight sat with her hooves over her face. She didn’t want to be chosen.

“Right now, Class 2 is in first with eight points. Class 3 is in second with five points, and Class 1 is close behind with four. Now time to select one unicorn from each class. From Class 1-”

Starlight couldn’t hear who was chosen from Class 1 because she was freaking out over the event.

“From Class 2, Harmony!”

Harmony trotted over to her spot. Everypony in her class cheered. Of course they were all happy, they were ahead.

“From Class 3, Starlight Aurora!”

Starlight’s heart sank. Why did she have to be chosen. Starlight knew she had no choice but to walk out there. Ponies would start to wonder if she didn’t step out there.

“For those who don’t know,” Pinkie started. “Starlight is the younger sister of Midnight Sparkle. Midnight beat everypony out on this event and won the whole event for her class when she was a filly. Will she be able to continue her sister’s legacy?”

“Well, we’re definitely gonna lose,” Diamond Heart said.

Starlight was even more frightened than ever.

“Each pony will be given five spells to perform. There a little advanced but nothing a pony that age can’t do. Alright unicorns! Take your places! GO!”

The pony from Class 1 and Harmony got started right away. Starlight looked at her five spells. She tried to calm herself down to see if she could cast it if she was relaxed.

“Look at that, Harmony from Class 2 has already performed her first spell!”

“Let’s go Harmony,” Sweetie Belle called out form the audience.

Starlight’s anxiety became higher.

“Okay, I can do this,” she told herself looking at the spell.

In the audience, Twilight and Midnight were watching Starlight. “Come on, you can do this,” Twilight whispered.

Starlight’s horn lit with little blue sparks. Though Starlight was focused, nothing was happening. She tried again. Nothing but sparks. She felt the pressure rush over her. Starlight felt like she was in a spinning room.

“What an embarrassment,” Diamond Heart called out.

“Look at that! Harmony has already performed her third spell and is on her fourth already!”

“I can’t do this,” Starlight said tears now coming out of her eyes. “I never can do it.” Her legs became weak. Starlight looked up to see everypony looking right at her. Soon, everything went dark.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Starlight, Star, Starlight Aurora,” a voice called out.

Starlight opened her eyes. She looked up to see Miss Cheerilee, Midnight, and her mother. She looked around. She was inside the schoolhouse, a pillow under her head, and a blanket over her.

“Are you okay,” Cheerilee asked.

“W-What happened?”

“You passed out,” Midnight replied.

“Oh,” Starlight said.

“I got some water,” Sweetie Belle said using her magic to give the cup to Twilight.

“Thank you,” Twilight said giving it to Starlight. “Now tell me, what was going on out there?”

Starlight remembered what she was doing while sipping the water. She realized what was happening just before she passed out. “I’m a disappointment aren’t I?”

Everypony was shocked at what Starlight said.

“Can I talk to Starlight alone please,” Twilight asked. Soon the schoolhouse was empty, and Twilight and Starlight were by themselves. “Please tell me what has been going on.”

“I’m just a disappointment. An embarrassment.”

“No your not. You’re so much more.”

“Stop lying to me mom!”

Twilight was shocked by Starlight’s reaction.

“You were one of the most powerful unicorns to come out of Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, a school I could never get into. Dad is one of the top guards in the Crystal Empire. He’s part of the Crystal Empire guard for that matter. They’re better than the Canterlot guard, and the Crystal Empire’s not even the capitol city. Then there’s Midnight. She’s the heir to your throne. She is also an alicorn and very powerful. Everypony thinks she’s going to be an amazing princess like you. She even won the Magical Showdown when she was my age and made her whole class win. Then there’s Flashlight. He’s training to be a royal guard for the Crystal Empire, and they already say he’s really good. Then look at me. I’m just a regular old unicorn who can’t even get her magic to work. I’m nothing but a burden, a disappointment, and an embarrassment to this family.”

“Is that what has been bothering you,” Twilight asked.

Starlight nodded. Twilight then pulled her in for a hug.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight said.

“For what?”

“For not realizing this.”

“It’s okay. It’s not like I wanted anypony to know.”

“But you should tell me how you feel. I could help you.”

“You don’t know what it’s like though. To feel not special, and not live up to who your supposed to be.”

“There is nothing in this world that tells you what you’re supposed to be. I don’t even think a cutie mark could tell you that. It’s up to you to decide what you want to do. And I totally know what you’re going through. I wasn’t always the powerful being I am now. I wasn’t even interested in magic until I saw Celestia raise the sun for the Summer Sun Celebration back when I was your age. Even then, I wasn’t even good at magic. I could barely turn a page of book with magic. My parents enrolled me into the school because I was was smart and had read many books on magic. You’re smart too you know. I barely even passed my entrance exam. Thankfully, Rainbow Dash’s sonic rainboom helped me out there.”

“And Uncle Spike was born.”

“That’s right.”

“If your magic were to, you know, not work at the time, Uncle Spike wouldn’t have been born.”

“And he wouldn’t have met Rarity, and Jade wouldn’t have been born.”

“See, even though you started out bad, you affected others’ lives later on. I would never be able to do that,” Starlight said.

“Not the way I see it,” Twilight replied. “I believe you have some raw magical ability in you. It just hasn’t come out yet, and I’m almost positive you’re going to affect the lives of others when you’re older too.”

“You really think so?”

“Yep. Now let’s get out there for the final prizes.”

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

“Congratulations Class 2. You are the Schoolyard Games winners!”

Class 2 celebrated with delight. Even the parents of the children were excited.

“See, I told you Class 2 would win,” Scootaloo told Rainbow Dash.

“Well yeah, they were good.”

Diamond Tiara walked over to where Twilight and Starlight were standing.

“Hey Twilight.”

“Hey Diamond Tiara, what’s up?”

‘Listen, I’m sorry for any trouble my daughter has caused with Starlight. She’s kind of in a mood right now which is why she’s not over here apologizing for herself. I just don’t know what to do with her right now.”

“It’s fine,” Twilight replied. “I understand. I’m sure it’s just a phase.”

“I hope so.”

“Hey,” Pinkie called out now out of the balloon. “Who wants to celebrate at Sugar Cube Corner. All on me.”

“Yeah,” everypony cheered ending another year of the Schoolyard Games.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading :derpytongue2: :heart: By the way, I have an Equestria Amino account. If you want to follow me my name is SammyRosePony.