• Published 17th May 2015
  • 4,147 Views, 129 Comments

My Glory - Eclipse Guardian



Within the mare known as Twilight Sparkle, there is a darkness that wishes to raise her up high as Empress of Equestria. But where did this darkness come from and why is it so set upon Twilight?

  • ...
18
 129
 4,147

A Dark Day in Canterlot

-Present Day-


Princess Celestia was acting strangely these days, that much Twilight Sparkle noticed since coming to Canterlot with her friends; Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie and of course Twilight's number one assistant Spike.

Twilight was rather excited even with the Princess's odd behavior. Her old fillyhood friend Cadence, today was her coronation. Cadence was once Twilight's foal-sitter during her days in Canterlot, before Twilight moved to Ponyville.

“Oh, this is such an exciting day!” Twilight exclaimed with a spring in her step.

“Yeah, yeah Twilight, we heard you say that for the past 5 hours!” Rainbow complained while flying over Twilight.

“Come on Dashie, Twilight's just happy to see an old friend of hers!” Pinkie Pie happily said.

'I think Cadence is a great friend, Mistress.' Said the voice within Twilight's mind.

'Of course! If somepony thought a mare who spreads love like Cadence does, was a prissy mare, I'd buck them myself!' Twilight internally laughed, not wanting her friends think went crazy again due to talking to herself in public.

The others were either too busy chatting about Canterlot's peoples and businesses or -in Fluttershy's case hiding behind Applejack-, to really pay attention to Twilight's excited rant.

They spent another half-hour wandering through the busy streets, until arriving at the castle. Twilight noticed she aimlessly trotted into the palace's domed courtyard. 'This place...is where I.'

'Something wrong?'

'Hmm? No, I'm fine. It's just that we haven't seen or heard anything from those Cultists for over 2 years. It's troubling that they've been so inactive lately.' Twilight opened her eyes and saw she was falling behind. “Hey wait up girls!”

'You believe they're waiting for something then?' The voice asked curiously.

'Yeah, I guess it's something like that.' The mage caught up to the other mares and trotted beside an awed Rarity. “Hey Rarity?” Twilight asked.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Rarity looked at Twilight. “What is it darling?”

“I was just wandering if you ever finished your dress for Cadence.”

Rarity put on a proud smile and stood up a little straighter, while keeping her pace with Twilight. “Indeed, I have. It'll look great on your old foal-sitter.”

“Is there any chance that anypony could see it?” Twilight asked hopefully.

Rarity chuckled merrily. “Oh, I can't do that darling. It's a surprise for Cadence.” She rolled her eyes at Twilight's big purple eyes and pouty look. “Sorry, that won't work on me Twilight. Sweetie has overused that look on me multiple times before, so it no longer affects me.”

Sighing, Twilight said. “Well it was worth a shot.” She suddenly laughed and Rarity followed suit.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

-An hour later-

Twilight was in her old room in the observation tower, brushing strands and knots out her mane. 'Ugh, this is what I get for sleeping upside down on the train. How did that happen anyway?'

'I believe it was a joke of your friend Rainbow Dash, Mistress.'

'...I bet it was, I'll ask her later. Um, while we're here alone for now. Can I ask something?'

'But of course Mistress, I am but your humble servant.'

'...Right. Well, why haven't you told me your name yet? It's really hard not knowing what your called, when I need you sometimes.'

'Soon, I promise...no I swear I will tell you when the proper time comes, Mistress.' The voice vowed.

Twilight sighed again, this was the very same excuse the voice used whenever Twilight asked for it's name. Only a few things were clear; the voice was devoted to Twilight, it had a mare's voice, and whenever they met in Twilight's dream-scape the voice would appear as a black silhouette with pupiless, glowing white eyes. 'Fine, shall we go see Celestia now?'

'If that is what you wish Twilight.' The voice said.

Placing the brush back into the drawer, Twilight magicked the door open and made her way to the throne room.

The white marble walls of the palace hallways were swarming with various nobles, maids and guards. Twilight wasn't one for crowds, so she teleported halfway there, scaring the guards guarding the throne room doors. “Halt-!” One was about to say, but upon seeing Twilight he merely groaned and let the tension lose from his muscles. “Miss Sparkle, would you please remember that Teleportation is not allowed inside the castle walls?'” He grunted.

Realizing her mistake, Twilight bowed her head slightly. “Sorry about that. Um, is my mo- *ahem* I mean is the Princess available?” She mentally scolded herself for almost calling Celestia her Mother, even though the princess was, legally.

“Not currently, her Highness is free for another hour, until she has to see to the upcoming coronation.” The right guard stoically responded.

Twilight nodded as they opened the doors for her. Trotting in, Twilight could see Celestia on her gold throne with her eyes closed. 'She seems rather serene when she's like that. Don't you agree?' The voice didn't answer. 'Hey you asleep in there?'

'What? Oh!? Sorry Mistress! I was lost in my thoughts.' The voice frantically said.

Twilight nodded sympathetically. She turned to the Princess and saw a scowl on her face. 'Why is she scowling?' But the look vanished as soon as it appeared. 'Oh I hope I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I should've told her I'd be coming to see her beforehoof.' Sweating, Twilight bowed. “U-um Princess Celestia?”

The Princess opened her eyes and gazed at Twilight. “Oh, what is it Twilight Sparkle?” She asked politely.

'...' The voice murmured something quietly.

“I wanted to see you. Is that alright Princess?” Twilight asked nervously.

Celestia didn't answer right away, she seemed to be gazing into nothing. After a moment she regained focus and addressed Twilight formally, which made Twilight blink in confusion. “We can chat for a while I suppose, Twilight Sparkle.”

Blinking again, Twilight shuffled on her hooves even more nervously. “O-okay.”

They simply chatted about Cadence's coronation, various lessons Twilight's learned over the past month, and even the castle security to Twilight's confusion once again. “A shield? Well I could produce one I guess.”

“For how long you suppose?” Celestia asked curiously.

Twilight looked at the floor in thought. 'That's odd why would she need to know about that? I already sent her my report on shields three months ago. Maybe she just forgot, Princess duties and all that.' She furrowed her brow and said. “For at least a day or two, I think. Why?”

Celestia smiled. “Just wondering my faithful student.”

'Mistress, something is amiss here.'

'I feel it too, but whatever it is can't be too serious. Unless it's the Cultists.' Twilight wasn't too sure she believed that thought, but shrugged it off. “I-I should head to see Cadence, Princess Celestia.”

“See that you do Twilight. Wouldn't want her to have cold feet now would we?" Twilight nodded and left the chamber.

After the door closed, Celestia smiled. 'Heheh too easy.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________

-Later-

'I don't like this Mistress.'

Twilight trotted into the ballroom where the rest of her friends were conversing. The meeting with Celestia was unusual and cold. Twilight did not like either of these things. 'I know, but I can't place what's wrong exactly. Maybe it's this coronation thing for Cadence?'

'Maybe.'

Twilight frowned as she reached her friends. “Hey girls.”

Pinkie Pie was the first to say anything. “Oh! There you are Twilight-” Pinkie noticed Twilight's frown. “Are you okay? You look like you swallowed a bad muffin.”

Applejack spoke up next. “Yeah, are ya' alright Twi?” When Twilight lowered her head, Applejack and the others dropped what they were doing and asked similar questions.

“Well...” She told them about the Princess's odd behavior and how their chat went. “...and when she asked about my shielding prowess, she had this look on her face that I've never seen before. Almost like she wanted something else other than wanting to spend time with me.” Twilight sniffled.

Rarity seemed thoughtful, Applejack and Pinkie Pie hugged Twilight, while Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash considered what they just heard. “So what do you think Flutters'? Anything come to mind?” Rainbow asked expectantly.

Fluttershy seemed scared to say anything. Eventually she answered. “W-well the guards weren't exactly um...f-friendly to me in the garden earlier. Besides e-even the animals were avoiding them, which is a bit odd to say the least. A-at least that's what I think.” She pawed the floor with a hoof as Rainbow scratched the back of her neck.

“What could be up anyway? About an hour ago, I was flying-you know practicing for the Wonderbolts and all that-anyway I saw a couple guards being really mean to a small filly who was lost.” Rainbow Dash growled at the thought.

“U-Um did you do anything about it?” Fluttershy asked.

“Totally! I flew in there, knocked their helmets together, grabbed the filly and flew her to her mom. Of course, I was waaay to fast for them slowpokes to see my face when nabbed the filly!” Rainbow laughed. “But really, I mean I can understand them for being a bit on edge due to the coronation and all, but being mean to a filly like that was going way to far.”

Fluttershy nodded, than she and Rainbow turned back to the others. “So you alright Twilight?”

“Yeah, although I wish I knew what was going on with the Princess...” Twilight suddenly remembered something important. “Oh, no! I forgot to go see Cadence!” She took off running. “I'll meet you girls later!” Twilight yelled dashing down the hall and around a corner.

“Come on everypony we have a coronation to plan!” Pinkie Pie cheered. 'Be careful Twilight.'
_______________________________________________________________________________________

-Somewhere beneath Canterlot-

“Where am I?” Somepony asked in the darkness. “Hello? Anypony there?”

The cavern she was in was dark, crystals were embedded in walls all over the whatever chamber she awoke in. Strange magic floated around her body, soothing the wounds she received from her attackers. Groaning she attempted to stand up, but her left hoof slip on a puddle of water and the mare landed roughly on her side. “Tch!” She bit her tongue to fight against the pain.

She wasn't supposed to be here, she was supposed to be having tea with her adopted daughter and faithful student, and planning for her niece's coronation ceremony. Having a great time, meeting her student's new friends from Ponyville. She was due to be there for the both of them; her daughter and niece, and her redeemed sister Luna. Princess Celestia stomped her hoof in anger and frustration. Someone attacked and filly-napped her after she raised the sun this morning, a group of own personal guard for Faust's sake! “They looked like my personal guard at first, until I shredded their illusion.” Celestia was angry with herself for letting her guard down, even after she sensed something was amiss with their natural magick. It was green instead her guard's usual blue colour.

Celestia crawled along the nearest wall, than accidentally slipped and plummeted into the dark abyss. She hit several jagged rocks and heard a loud cracking sound when she hit the ground. Her left left leg was broken. “Damn!” Celestia grunted in pain, while sitting up the best she could. She tried to summon up her magick but felt something interrupting the flow in her horn. “Oh great, a magick dampener ring.” So magick was not an option. Maybe a hoof? Celestia reached up with her unhurt foreleg and attempted to remove the ring, but the cursed thing wouldn't budge.

She tried her wings next, but they too were bound with something. Turning her head see what it was, Celestia shut her eyes tight when she noticed her wings were covered with a green goo of some sort. “That's just gross.”

...

...

...

The magick in the air suddenly changed as Celestia felt the flow change its course. She limped in the direction of the flow, Celestia didn't know, why but she felt drawn to whatever laid beyond the threshold. What she saw next made her inhale sharply. Embedded in the far wall was gigantic glowing blue crystal that took up the entire cavern wall, in which all the magick flowed into.

“What is this?” Celestia wondered, while limping ever closer to the crystal wall. The thing was huge, it took up the entire wall, which was about three stories high at least. Blue crystal veins pulsated along the other walls and floor, pure magick flowing through them ever-so-slowly. Runes were sketched into the next to where she stood and Celestia tried to make out what was written. “It's no good, it's too dark down here, and without my magick...” Celestia shook her head in sadness. “Oh Twilight, please be alright. You too Cadence.” Sniffling slightly, Celestia sat on her bruised haunches and gazed at the glowing crystal.

She did not see it at first due to the darkness, but when the glow lit up suddenly, Celestia could make out a figure within the giant crystal. “More surprises, is seems.” Celestia sighed. She narrowed her eyes to get a better look.

The figure was a Pony, a mare, by the looks of it. Celestia carefully crawled across the ground, minding her broken left leg, and looked closer. She could make out a very long, translucent blue horn -it seemed to be made of crystal also-, four very long slender legs, a pure white coat, she couldn't see the eyes since the eye lids were closed, two gigantic crystal-like feathered wings, followed by a crystal-like mane and tail. Celestia gasped in fright. 'I know this mare!! But, this is where she was all this time!?'

“I-It can't be. But there's no mistaking that glowing blue crystal cutie mark. She's...She's...She's...”

...

...

...

A beautiful, yet regal and soothing voice spoke within Celestia's mind. And it filled her with fear.

“Ah, hello there Celestia hehehe. It's been sometime hasn't it?”
___________________________________________________________________________________

-The Coronation-

Twilight glared at the white Alicorn from the corner of her vision. Cadence's coronation sent smoothly, everypony cheered her name, tossed her roses and other such flowers, Twilight's friends were somewhere in the crowd of ponies and Twilight sang a special song for Cadence; written by Twilight and Pinkie Pie. There was cake in the ballroom which Cadence was given a large potion of, she only ate about half of it before falling headfirst into it, much to Twilight's amusement.

But that was not what made Twilight glare like she did, earlier each of her friends were being led away one by one. By shady guards no less. Twilight and the voice in her mind agreed something bad was going down. So Twilight followed each and every one of them and attacked each of the guards with a stun spell, she was terrified at first at how easy she did so, especially with how her demeanor did not change when taking out the guards. A while back, Princess Luna taught Twilight how to use the Mage Sight spell, so Twilight used it on the shady guards and found that they weren't even ponies to begin with. They were some sort of pony-sized insects with a black carapace, thin but strong bug wings, pupiless blue eyes, a curved black horn atop their heads and holed legs.

Twilight had never seen these creatures before, but swore she read something about them in a book. So Twilight used Mage Sight to see what “Celestia” really was. It was another one of the odd insects, but much bigger, the chitin on it's back was green, two green dragonic eyes and holed legs, mane and tail.

The thought of somepony harming her mentor and taking her place, made Twilight's blood boil. But she wasn't stupid enough to attack the shape-shifting impostor with those fake guards in the room, Twilight was also aware of the exhaustion she was feeling keeping her shield up around Canterlot for so long. The spell took a lot of her, it's not the first shield she had ever cast of course, but the exhaustion Twilight felt only spurred her on to reveal the impostor.

The “Princess” said something but Twilight was too preoccupied with her thoughts to hear what was said.

'What do you wish to do Mistress?' The voice asked.

'Just wait for now. Until her guards are gone. I have Pinkie Pie and the others outside creating a ruckus.' Twilight said with unusual confidence. 'Once they're gone...I'll crush her.' Twilight's eyes glowed a deadly hue of purple.

'Mistress...' The voice sounded awed.

A loud boom could be heard from outside. 'That would be Pinkie's party cannon.' The boom was followed by a shrieking wail. 'Nice Rarity.' Twilight mentally grinned like a fiend. A stampede outside the open doors rushed by the panicked guards. 'I had Fluttershy tell the animals in Celestia's private garden to run through the palace, but without breaking anything. I also had Rainbow look around for the actual royal guard.' The ruckus had the intended effect. The guards in the room were ordered by the impostor to see what was happening.

“Twilight Sparkle you too.” Ordered “Celestia”.

“...Oh I don't think I will Princess.” Twilight shut and locked the doors with a powerful ward and dropped the shield around Canterlot. 'Phew, that took it's toll on my magick reserves.' Twilight turned to the fake Alicorn with a toothy grin.

“You dare deny your Princess? Remember who raised and taught you Twilight Sparkle.” The impostor sharply scolded Twilight.

“Oh yes, Princess Celestia did indeed raise me. But...it was not you.” Unbeknownst to Twilight her own magick was beginning to change from light purple to dark violet than to almost black once she lit her horn with magick.

“What? That's ridiculous! I am Celestia the Harbinger of the Sun! And your Princess!” The fake one yelled starting to panic.

Twilight laughed darkly. “I don't think so Bug Bitch. I can see right through that disguise of yours now.” Twilight's horn blasted the impostor and shredded her disguise. “Oh my, you're uglier up close.”

“So you saw through me, big deal.” The black insect-queen smiled showing her pointed canines. “I am Queen Chrysalis of the Changelings, little pony. And I have you out-matched.” She lifted a holed hoof and over two dozen other changelings revealed themselves. “I'm afraid you precious princess won't ever see the light again.” They closed in on Twilight.

Twilight raised a hoof pretending to muffle a yawn. “Is this it? It'll take more than this too beat me.” Twilight realized her behavior was not normal for her at all, did not care at the moment.

Chrysalis was gawking at the unicorn before her, not believing was Twilight was saying or doing in the face of death. 'Is she insane?! I could kill her at any given moment with the wave of my hoof!' The Queen lit her jagged horn and ordered her drones to attack.

Before they reached Twilight, the doors burst open and the real Princess Celestia charged in and stomped two drones beneath her hooves. “Twilight you alright!?” She quickly wrapped Twilight with a wing and hugged her tightly.

Twilight's eyes went wide with shock and she lost her deadly demeanor. She teared up and wrapped her hooves around Celestia's neck. 'Celestia's okay. My mom is okay...' She cried mentally.

Celestia carefully pried Twilight off of her and placed her crying student behind her. “I'll take it from here Twilight.” She unfurled her powerful wings and gazed at Chrysalis. “So you're the who one tried to take my kingdom from me and my Sister and even threatened my little ponies.” She fumed looking at Twilight for a second.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. “Well I'll finish what I started. Kill them!” The drones charged again.

Celestia captured three of them in her telekinesis than smashed them into the opposite wall. Six more dive-bombed her, to that she raised a shield, caused it to rotate rapidly counter-clockwise, and shredded the incoming changelings to pieces. The remaining drones hesitated, just a enough time for Celestia to incinerate them the well timed ball of plasma.

When only two were left, Chrysalis fired a beam straight at Celestia. The Princess countered with her own beam. The two were equally matched much to Celestia's shock. “You didn't think I just sat here all the time did you? I bathed in the love your ponies had for you, and it made me even more powerful!” The Queen mocked.

Celestia went to use more magick to overpower her, but Chrysalis acted first and pushed Celestia's beam back before the Princess could react. This resulted in Celestia taking a head shot of green magick to her forehead and blasted her over Twilight's prone form and into the hallway wall. Several of Celestia's real guard ran to Celestia, having been freed by Rainbow Dash from the dungeons.

“Princess!”

“Your Highness!”

“Princess Celestia!”

They all cried out while Twilight stayed seemingly cemented to the floor. She didn't even notice as Princess Luna barged in past the guards. “Sister wake up!”

Chrysalis laughed maniacally. “Their love was even stronger than I thought. It had made me even powerful than even Celestia!”

Twilight's mane and tail suddenly turned jet black.

Thump-thump

The pink and purple streaks in her mane and tail, turned another shade of purple and seemed to flow like water.

Thump-thump

Her pupils narrowed into slits like a dragon's.

Thump-thump

Her star-burst cutie mark's white stars turned completely black .

Thump-thump

Letting out a primal scream, Twilight's magick exploded around her and she launched herself at Chrysalis and through a stain-glass window to the streets below.

“Aghh!!” The Queen screamed as she felt Twilight rip her wings out of their sockets and crashed onto the cobblestone road.

“Bitch!! How dare you harm Celestia!!!” Twilight picked the changeling up in her magick and flung her sharply into a nearby pillar. “I'll rip you apart for this!!”

Chrysalis blasted Twilight as she stood up. “I don't know how you took that form, but a little Unicorn like you can't defeat me!” With her wings gone, Chrysalis had to fight on the ground.

Twilight instantly recovered and tossed several sharp stain-glass shards at her nemesis.

The Queen narrowly avoided being gouged by most of the shards but one sliced her right foreleg. “Damn!” she yelled dodging even more sharp glass.

Teleporting, Twilight appeared on the wall above Chrysalis and summoned lightning to cook the changeling. “Grah!” Three struck down and zapped Chrysalis into the ground. Twilight jumped down and blasted Chrysalis through the wall and into the domed courtyard.

“How is this possible?” She grunted, her legs refusing to move now.

Twilight placed her forehooves on the ruined wall and glared at the Queen. “This is where your scheme and life come to an end Chrysalis.” Her horn charged up with dark magick as she moved to where Chrysalis lay immobile.

“What are you-AGH!” The Queen screeched as Twilight began to stomp on her carapace, cracking it in several spots.

“Monsters like you don't deserve mercy.” Twilight said coldly as she continued to brutally crush Chrysalis into the ground. “Not even my mercy.”

...

...

...

“Ugh! S-stop p-p-please...” Chrysalis gasped in pain.

“Why?” Twilight stopped. “Why should I? You tried to kill me, usurp Celestia's throne, attempted to kill Celestia herself, hurt my friends, and brainwash Cadence.” She lifted a hoof and rubbed a bleeding spot in Chrysalis' chitin, causing the changeling to wince. “What's wrong? Does it hurt?” She pressed harder making Chrysalis yelp.

“Y-yes! Please n-no more! I beg you...”

“I think you need another dose of pain.” Twilight raised her hoof to strike again, but several voices stopped her.

Celestia, Luna, Cadence, over three dozen guards, Twilight's friends, and groups of bystanders watched with horrified looks as Twilight stood over Chrysalis's bloody and defeated form.

“Sugarcube...” Applejack took a hesitant step forward.

“Twilight, just step away from her, please.” Luna pleaded.

“My Faithful Student, don't do it I beg you. Don't stoop to her level, especially since she's begging for her life.” Celestia carefully stepped over to Twilight.

“But she-!” Twilight was interrupted by Celestia's wing slowly pushing her off of Chrysalis.

“I know Twilight, I know. Come on, she'll be dealt with and put into the dungeons for now. Alright?” Celestia gazed into Twilight draconic eyes. The sight scared her to no end, but she did not back away from her adopted daughter.

“I...I...A-alright.” Twilight finally gave up and let Celestia lead her back into the palace while Chrysalis was put on gurney and brought to the medical wing of the castle.

Twilight's friends hesitantly followed after Celetia and Twilight. Luna and Cadence made the crowd withdraw.

Chrysalis growled in defeat even as her pain doubled. “What have we gotten ourselves into?”