• Published 17th May 2015
  • 4,147 Views, 129 Comments

My Glory - Eclipse Guardian



Within the mare known as Twilight Sparkle, there is a darkness that wishes to raise her up high as Empress of Equestria. But where did this darkness come from and why is it so set upon Twilight?

  • ...
18
 129
 4,147

The Guardian of Tartarus and the Cult

-6 Years Ago-

The Gates of Tartarus lay dormant, locked by the powerful Magics of an unknown, forgotten ruler of long times past. Just outside the mighty gates, a great three-headed dog known as Cerberus, guards the unholy gate from outside forces and to keep the beings locked within Tartarus itself from escaping.

Cerberus had long forgotten how long he had protected these gates, ever since his master perished over a millennium ago. Still his devotion to his fallen master remains intact, even over the decay of time.

The Guardian of the Gate had only ever opened the gates for the present rulers of the land, the Immortal Alicorn Sisters: Princess Celestia of the Sun and Princess Luna of the Moon. For Cerberus' master was also an Alicorn, so he had also sworn to serve only Alicorns who rule Equestria or Tartarus.

The Princesses have brought many to Tartarus' gates, such as; the Magic Thief Centaur by the name of Tirek, and the infamous Demon Pegasus Morak.

Cerberus had not seen either Princess ever since the Nightmare Rebellion. He heard about the lunar princess's downfall from a passing militia of mercenaries that just so happened to come to close to the gates, so Cerberus was forced to scare them off. The cowards didn't even put a good fight for the bored guardian.

...

...

...

Time passed and still nothing worth of Cerberus' attention came to pass. Until a shady group of cloaked ponies and other beings strode up to Cerberus with an unknown purpose. Cerberus glared at them and stood to his full height while growling. As if he'd let these halfwits come anywhere near his master's home.

The tallest of the beings came forward and the withdrew their hood to reveal their formerly concealed face. Cerberus recognized the creature before him as a Kirin, by their reptilian scales, forelegs, neck, head, followed by a furred equine lower half.

“We do not mean you or your late master any disrespect Great Guardian.” Cerberus' middle head merely raised an eyebrow. “We are Cult of the Dark Arts.”

Cerberus took a closer look at their robes and cloaks and noticed a very familiar symbol; Two great black dragon wings encircling a purple draconic eye, with a tall black horn pointing up on top of the eye. All three head's eyes widened in disbelief. It was his master Penumbra's symbol.

“Yes, we are a group devoted to our Goddess Penumbra, also the ruler of Tartarus.” The Kirin smiled ecstatically.

For the first time in years, Cerberus spoke. “If thee are so inclined to whole-fully serve my master's interest. Thee may, but thou must understand. My master has left this world over a millennium ago. Brought down by her own flesh and blood.” Cerberus responded with a sorrow filled expression.

“I am very aware of the sad details symbolizing our Goddess's defeat. But what you don't seem to be aware of is the prophecy of her return.” The Kirin nodded to the robed stallion and mare on either side of him.

They both gently laid an old scroll before Cerberus's feet. “At your leisure Great Guardian.” Both of cultists said before bowing and backing away from Cerberus.

Cerberus remarked the scroll before carefully unfurling it. Within the scroll was a short prophetic sentence; “On the fourth year of Magic's ascension, a forgotten ruler of Shadow and Darkness will awaken and bring about the demonic realm's glory once more.”

“I see. But why are thou here telling me this?” Cerberus asked.

The Kirin smiled again. “We would like access to our Goddess's abode to bring about this prophecy and get ready for her Liege's future return, Great Guardian. And I'm sure you miss your Master as much as we do”

Cerberus contemplated this. He dearly missed his master Penumbra and these cultists seemed devoted to her completely. But he needed more proof than just robes, promises and prophecies. “Give me proof of your devotion to Penumbra, The Alicorn of Tartarus.”

“A flesh sacrifice than?” The Kirin asked. Cerberus nodded. “Than as leader of The Cult of the Dark Arts, I'll shall show my devotion to The Goddess on our behalf.” He than reached into his cloak and pulled out a long jagged knife. Raising his left arm he sliced right through it with the knife. The blade cut cleanly and straight through the flesh, as blood gushed out and tendons limply hung from where his left fore arm once was. The two robed ponies from before, rushed to his aid and swiftly closed and bandaged the useless limb. The Kirin didn't even flinch or scream in pain.

“Is this enough for our Goddess, Guardian?”

“Very well then.” Cerberus turned around then began to slowly opened the gates to Tartarus. “It's been years since anyone has stepped into my master's home. Don't. Break. Anything.”

After Cerberus gave him one last glare the cult leader bowed in repose. “But of course.”

Soon after they left and Cerberus locked the gates once more, returning with new found hope for his Master.