• Published 17th May 2012
  • 1,802 Views, 30 Comments

Just an Old Ponytale... - EternalShadow54



Twilight's project she's working on for Zecora turns for the worst...

  • ...
2
 30
 1,802

Chapter 8

Just an Old Ponytale...
Chapter 8-

'There was a large amount of commotion as she stood up on the soap box with her three good legs. "Alright everypony, listen up." The room fell silent. "What do you all think that we shou-" she was interupted by Derpy, who flew to her side and whispered something in her ear. Twilight bit her lip...'

It all seemed to be a blur to her. "Twilight!" was all she could hear through the thundering rain as she laied there, broken. The voice was a familiar one as it became more destinguishable while it drew closer. It was difficult for her to see through the mud and muck that blocked her vision. She blinked, hoping to clear her vision to see who had come to help her. Her body was in pain, great pain for she could barely breath from the devistating impact that she had endured. With vision fading, the last thing she remembered before she passed out was the hazy white blurb of a pony calling her name as the sky rolled thunder for the first time since the storm. Everything went black.

Twilight opened her eyes only to behold more darkness. Fear came across as she stood up and glanced about her, looking in every direction. Nothing. There was nothing. Complete and utter emptiness. "Wh... where am I? she said as though expecting an answer. "A... am I... dead?" A grim tone came from behind.

"Nooo..." the voice hoarsely answered with a lengthy draw. "Death... is far too good for you... my dear..." Twilight whisped around to see the shadowed figure of a shady cloaked pony carrying a sinister scythe at his backside. The dark figure had an evil aura about him as the sight made Twilight freeze in absolute terror.

"Tell me... do you know... who I am..." the vauge form asked with a low chuckle. Twilight remained un-nerved and held her tounge. She simply shook her head. "Well my dear... I go by many names... I am known by the harvester of souls... the master of the dead... king of the-" Twilight interrupted.

"King of the graves." she grimly stated with a hint of horror in her voice. The shadowed pony snikered.

"My dear... you may call me... Death..." Twilight's heart skipped a beat. Twilight knew who this pony was from the beginning. Death drew his scythe from his back, putting it upon his shoulder. "That was quite a risky move... jumping from that cliff..." He pulled his curved blade and started swinging it about him like a batton. "Tell me Twilight... do you believe... that you deserve to live..."

Twilight couldn't tell if he was serious or if the question was a rhetorical one. She thought it best not to take any chances. "Y... yes, why?" Death set his scythe to the side.

"Yes? You know Twilight... my hands have been quite full lately..." he said with grimace. "Do you know... how bad it looks on my part... when the "dead" are living... and walking about... taking my job..." Twilight gulped. "Not very good my dear..." Death waved his hoof over at Twilight. "Come... let me show you something..." It took every ounce of courage that twilight could muster, but she did as she was told and beckoned to Death's side. He took his scythe in his hoof and slashed to his side, only just missing Twilight's body and sending her into a panic. "Calm down my dear... if I was going to take you... I would have done so earlier..." A rift formed in the area that his blade had slashed. Twilight looked at him with frightened eyes. "Go on... take a look inside..." She peered into the rift.

She gasped. "But... that's-" Death cut her off.

"Yes... it is your friend... Fluttershy..." Twiilght continued to peer into the rift and beheld her fragile friends life right before her own eyes. She watched the delicate mare grow as a filly, watched her discover her purpose in life, watched her take care of her animals and love her friends with her every being. Twilight almost couldn't bear the sight. Death spoke up.

"Fluttershy was a kind and gentle pony... loved anything that ever drew a breath... never hurt a living thing... truely the essence of the perfect pony... did she deserve death..." A sharp, cold pain fell upon the unicorn's heart.

"N...no..." she said with heavy gloom, hanging her head down. Death waved his scythe once more.

"Look back... into the rift... my dear..." Twilight didn't want to, her heart wrenching at the thought of what she could see next, but she did with curiosity getting the best of her. It was the memories of Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell. "It always pains me... to see youth... cut down in its prime... so full of life... so innocent... did they deserve death..." Twilight gritted her teeth and tightly closed her eyes. Her body tensed. Death once more drew his scythe and waved it around the rift. Twilight turned her head for she could bear the pain no more. Death didn't mind.

"Honesty... is alway the best policy... if you ask me..." The unicorns muscles solidified. Death was mocking her as only one pony could have came to mind. That was the last straw. Twilight broke down, in front of Death himself, and bawled, bawled like a filly when it was first born. Death took no pitty on her as he edged closer to the broken unicorn. "Twilight... don't fret... your time has not come... yet... you still have work to do..." Twilight dried her tears away.

"Wh... what do you mean?" she asked with a sniffle. Death only laughed as the shadows enveloped him and he disappeared right before her, vanished into thin air. Twilight was left clueless. She had been just within Death's clutches, yet he didn't take her. She kind of wished he had, now that she thought about it. She was left all alone with nothing but her thoughts to keep her down. "I'm a horrible pony..." she told herself. "I... I don't deserve to live..." She laid her head into her hooves and drifted to sleep with tears in her eyes.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Twilight could only open her eyes just enough to see the two ponies beside her. She couldn't move and her whole body felt like lead. She tried to speak, but no words came out. She listened to the rythmic beating of a heart monitor and absorbed the two ponies conversation.

Rarity looked to the nusre. "How is she? Is she going to be alright?" The nurse glanced back at her.

"It's a good thing you got here here when you did. She is truely lucky to be alive and much more to be untouched by those monsters." Nurse Redheart put a hoof on Rarity's shoulder. "If you had not found her when you did, she might not would've made it." Rarity turned her head and looked at the bruised and battered unicorn.

"So, you're saying that she will be alright, right?" The nurse looked back at Twilight.

"Like I said, she's lucky to be alive. She does, however, have a broken hoof and a fractured rib, it will be hard for he to walk when she does wake up. We are lucky ourselves to even have power, thank Celestia for those generators." She looked back into Rarity's eyes. "I'm sorry. Go. Get some rest. I'm sure you must be exhausted from carrying her here." Rarity looked once more to her shattered friend. She went over to Twilight and held her hoof.

"Twilight, I don't know if you can hear me but, I want to say that... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't believe you when you tried to warn me and..." Rarity choked up. "Well, when you tried to warn us. I hope you can forgive me." Twilight wanted to cry, but the tears pained her throbbing head as it ached. 'I should be the one asking for forgivness...' Twilight thought as Rarity released her grasp on Twilight's hoof and headed for the door.

Twilight couldn't stand it. Her friend knew exactly what had happened and she still asked HER for forgivness. There were no words to describe the voidness Twilight felt, how horrible that she thought she was. She blamed herself and herself only. To have one of her closest friends to still know and still ask nearly made her heart shatter. The nurse noticed Twilight came over to her side.

"There, there Twilight. You're going to be fine." Twilight didn't realize that the tears had slipped through her lids. She didn't care anymore. It was the only thing that she could do to help cope with her body's pain for now. "Hey, cheer up. You'll be out of that bed in no time. Why, I'll even bet you'll be walking by tomorrow morning." Twilight managed a sigh before she closed her eyes and fell back to sleep, waiting on the next day to slowly come by...