• Published 17th May 2012
  • 1,802 Views, 30 Comments

Just an Old Ponytale... - EternalShadow54



Twilight's project she's working on for Zecora turns for the worst...

  • ...
2
 30
 1,802

Chapter 16

Just an Old Ponytale...
Chapter 16-

The hut came into view, the woods behind starting to fade into darkness as growls roared through the bowels of the void...

~Day six. Things only grow worse for us, the tensions so high that you can alomost feel it emit from the others. I guess I can't blame anypony, the loss of Derpy in our first escape attempt was almost too much to handle. I can still hear her screams as we shut the door... Anyway, I'm only able to write this thanks to an old encryption spell I learned long ago, though I'm not exactly sure why I even write in this anymore. It's not like anypony is going to read this other than me, but I guess it's the only way for me to vent without somepony getting hurt, including myself. Ever since the incident, which was my idea as well, Colgate hasn't exactly been herself lately.

Her constant murmurs and cold glares really make my heart sink, and Pinkie Pie has kind of just fallen into a state of depression. I assume she finally realized what's going on, and she has my condolences and sympathy. I think I can understand where she comes from on the matter. Stranger than that however, Apple Bloom seems the least affected by the whole matter, myself included for the loss had its impact upon me as well. We can't stay in here, the risk is too great! Eventually, we will run low on food and Celestia knows what would become of us then, but I won't let it come to that. I have devised an even greater plan to free ourselves from this horrible situation we have found ourselves in, or would they say the situation I placed us in... If anypony finds this journal, know that I am sorry in my failed attempt to free Equestria of this curse, and that I can't express how sorry I am for the world you must currently live in...~

Journal Entry #4

-Twilight Sparkle

Twilight closed the book, the words within now magically imprinted upon the paper as her body grew slightly weaker as a result. She lay in her hay made bed as she stared vacantly towards the cieling above her, the patter of rain becoming one accord. Wonder about her rainbow maned friend become small, the evidence before her pointing towards the worst. The lavender mare notice Colgate as she took a seat beside Twilight, staring at the cieling with the same void in her eyes. There was silence between the two, Pinkie asleep on her own bed in a corner and Apple Bloom sitting alone, kicking softly at some hay while the rain continued.The memory of earlier, their first escape attempt came back to mind as Twilight lie there, tightly shutting her eyes as the memory ran through her mind, fresh and clear.

"What are you waiting for? Keep throwing!" Twilight yelled.

"We can't!" her pink friend stated. "We're out of ammo!" Twilight looked among the ponies that had bravely fought aside her.

"Fall back to the barn!"

"We should have packed more stones to throw!" Derpy stated as they ran back.

"I thought we had enough!" Twilight retorted. They reached the door, but Derpy tripped over a small rock an lay on the ground, leg possibly broken from the strange angle she landed on it only ten hooves away. "Derpy!" Twilight yelled back.

"Go on!" the grey pegasis shooed. "They'll only get us both if you don't!" Twilight watched in agony as Derpy was almost ripped to pieces by the horrible creatures outside, more violent and ravenous than ever.

A tear fell from her lids, the grief still holding its sting upon her. What she heard from Colgate didn't make matters any better.

"You know it's ALL your fault right..." Twilight glanced at the former dentist as she took a breath before continuing. "The infection, the deaths, the pain and suffering, it's all your fault... and you have the gall to sit there and cry about it... Crying won't fix this, bring everypony back... If you want to see change, you have to take action, take things into your own hooves... but know the fight your fighting... You were careless, and that's... that's why we lost Derpy..." Colgate's words were cutting deep into her heart, slicing through her emotional barriers with ease. "Take responsibilities for your mistakes... and learn from them..."

Twilight stared at the unicorn before her with her mouth agape, tears swelling even more than before, but she withdrew her sorrow and tried to suck it up, so to say. It WAS all her fault, and sitting here and shedding tears over it wouldn't fix anything. She stood up, hoof firm in the ground as she quickly observed her surroundings, and called the group together. Pinkie Pie drudged over and Apple Bloom took her time, but with no unusual mood showing.

"Alright, I'd like to start off with an apology for getting you all in this mess in the first place.." She took a momentary pause, Colgate just turning her head to the side and her pink friend staring at the ground with a sad gloom. "But, I'm ready to fix what I've messed up! There's only one problem, and that's that I can't do it on my own. I need everyponies help..." Twilight took another breath, Apple Bloom appearing to hang on every word as the other two paid hardly any attention. "That's why I've prepared another escape plan to try an make it to Zecora's." Everyponies ears perked as she continued. "I'm ready to put my life on the line once more to try and correct my wrongs, and I'm not asking any of you to do what I'm not willing to do myself. If I can just reach her hut, maybe she has a note or book on how to make the antidote! Maybe-" Colgate cut here off, trying to be the voice of reason.

"And if she don't..." Twilight was slightly stunned by the sudden question.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have a better idea?" The dentist turned and glared towards the lavender mare.

"Surviving and living isn't good enough for you? Think what you're asking us to do, and look at the results of the last few times we did what you asked."

"If you hadn't have left the house when I said-"

"Is our situation here any better!? At least if I had have got bitten, I would have went down fighting... poor Derpy had no chance to go down a worriors way..." Twilight froze, unable to concieve words to counteract her argument.

"You and your pride will be your downfall one day Colgate." She answered finally. "If you want to stay, be my guest. As for you other two, make your decision by nights end, for tomorrow I leave for Zecora's hut in hopes to purge this land we once called home from these beast I created..."