• Published 17th May 2012
  • 1,802 Views, 30 Comments

Just an Old Ponytale... - EternalShadow54



Twilight's project she's working on for Zecora turns for the worst...

  • ...
2
 30
 1,802

Chapter 17

Just an Old Ponytale...
Chapter 17-

Death drew its cold grasp around the barn, the air stale with the hint of decay as the banging at the door became louder, the two ponies left within tense with every incidental or accidental bump that passed through their ears. Dawn, or what they belived was dawn, had finally broke, the small filly and lavender mare setting out through the back of the barn, cautious to avoid any unwanted attention from any creatures that may have strayed from the the mob that lurked nearby, thier senses ever vigilant in their perception of the area. The only reason that the two made it out of the run down building from behind might be for the fact that there were still remains of their blonde maned friend around front, tempting the ravenous monsters that now lust for the taste of pony flesh. It pained to think about it, but she knew that if Derpy had not perished the way she did, they might not have ever been able to safely escape that wretched place they were holding in, the constant on edge tension of random bumps at the front by their feasting being the only downside she could formulate, other than the fact that she had just lost yet another one of her friends to her own creations. Twilight had grown numb to the feeling, the relentless reminder of how she was responsible for all this becoming almost complete second nature.

The two carefully tred their way towards the woodland edge, Apple Bloom reassuring that she knew the way to Zecora's from here because she had used this route many a times before. As far as Twilight could tell, she didn't really have much choice than to believe anything this young filly told her for the time being, her total trust placed upon this child and her knowledge of the land. This didn't seem like too much of a problem with the mare, her reasoning logical with placing all her trust into the only pony that WOULD know the landscape. When they reached the forrest and were completely hidden within some bushes, because one can never be too careful in times like these, Twilight then turned to the red maned filly and prosed her with a simple question, one that was sure to be asked.

"So Apple Bloom, which way do we go from here?" The filly observed her surrounding, as though to place their pin-point location. After a good while, where in which Twilight started to question her decision to place her faith within the small pony, Apple Bloom finally pointed to a direction.

"We head this way." Apple Bloom stepped with confidence, the feeling somewhat lifting Twilight's spirits while the two started off in the direction she had pointed out. Twilight looked up into the sky, the dark, bellowing clouds of grey still pouring their clear, natural liquid with certain ease. Not a single inch was uncovered, the notion of wheather it really was dawn left entirely up to the pony and their perception and ability to keep track of time. Darkness was something that both Apple Bloom and the purple unicorn had grown accustomed to, the light, or what little light they had, growing ever dimmer with each step deeper into the seemingly empty forrest before them. It wasn't very long before there was nothing but total black, the sense of sight leaving the two as Twilight felt they were only just blindly leading themselves to their doom. When Twilight turned to her side to speak with the filly, she somehow could just tell that she wasn't there, that the filly, or herself, had unknowingly strayed away from the other.

Apple Bloom turned to tell her follower that it wouldn't be long now, to not worry about the darkness because of how close they actually was, but she, as like Twilight, noticed that the other had fallen away without her knowing. Suddenly, she heard a low grumble in the distance, the faintness becoming less with every second. Her blood froze as the growls grew louder from all directions. "Is... anypony there?" Apple Bloom asked. The growls became more menicing as the stench of death filled the air. "Twilight... where are you?" There ws no response. Apple Bloom turned to head back to Sweet Apple Acres. As she turned, she heard a voice in the distance call out to her...

"RUN!" the voice screamed, "RUN!!!" Twilight came crashing through the bushes with a terrified look. "Didn't you hear me Apple Bloom? Run!"

The filly nearly jumped from her coat as the lavender mare crashed through the bushes, screaming orders for her to take off. She did as told, and started to gallop, the only problem for Twilight being that she was galloping back towards the barn! The unicorn lifted a hoof as she was about to yell out for her, but she was too late. A loud, heart wrentching scream could be barely audible in the origin of her sprint. The feelings Twilight had grown used to became renewed, her hoof trembling, and her lip quivering.

The growls around started to become harder to believe that they weren't there, Twilight holding herself still and determined to not move as she tried to process all her feelings at once, but she still could hear, could think, and eventually she persuaded herself to move, to keep her faith in the filly and keep in the direction the filly originally intended. She started off slow, her guilt laying heavily upon her shoulder, and seemingly slowing her down, but after the growls became too close for comfort, she took off in a mad dash for Zecora's.

It wasn't long before the trees parted ways, the light now slightly beaming through to give some visual. The hut came into view, the woods behind starting to fade into darkness as growls roared through the bowels of the void. As she darted past a few more stumps, she finally reached the front door. Knocking was not an option, Twilight taking her back hooves and bucking the door open with all her might, but as she peered into the black void of the darkness, her heart sank to the deepest of pits. A faint glow from a candle lit the room, and the interior was completely empty. Twilight quickly turned back around and barred herself from within, the roars outside unsettleing every nerve within her body. She walked over to the candle, and undernieth was a note. What she read almost made Twilight have her heart explode with surprize as she dropped the letter to the ground that read as followed:

~Twilight, if you are reading this, then well done. My plan has been put to action to rid this place of you accursed ponies that plauge this land with all your "Happiness and Friendship". As you can tell, I've packed up and left. Permanently. And will not be returning to help you, for you see, this was MY plan all along. The having you make the potion, well, let's just say that was a bonus. I am the only one who knows a cure, and if need be, I will use it, but not on the likes of you and all your stupid little friends! I know you must probably feel horrible, the feeling of guilt now overwhelming, but hey, nopony's perfect, right? Also, before I forget, I bet you've been wondering about your good, loyal friend rainbow Dash right? Well see, after the storm had started, I decided to "ask for her help" woth a project I was working on. She, like you, was eager to do anything I would tell her, so when I asked for some deathly poisonous to the touch herbs, without her knowing they were deadly, for the project, she gladly "tried" to bring them to me.

-Sincerely, Zecora~

P.S.- Just for you, seeing as I didn't even try to rhyme, I'll end with this note. Looks like your out of time...