• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 1,187 Views, 7 Comments

Journal of a Soldier - SulliedInk



A royal guard's journal is discovered by her daughter, Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
0
 7
 1,187

Descent

Rainbow set the journal aside, wiping off her tears with her hoof. A part of her wanted to know more, but the other told her it was enough. It was time to go. Her mother called, saying supper was finally ready. Dash knew she needed to rest for her wonderbolt show tomorrow. Afar, she heard her mother's hoofsteps coming up the stairs. Rainbow Dash quickly tossed the journal beneath her bed, and rushed past her mother downstairs.

The latter was curious as to how her daughter managed to stay silent for such a long period of time. She snuck into Rainbow's room. A calm, gentle breeze blew by. The white curtains swayed with the wind. Her covers were wrinkled, indicating she had sat there for quite some time. The mare approached her daughter's nightstand. By the lamp lay the old photo. The elderly mare brushed her hoof over the picture. From outside, a rose petal found it's way into Dash's room, and landed on the old photograph. Rainbow's mother whispered: "So you finally know..." A single tear landed on the picture.

***

It was night already. Rainbow Dash was done with her show. She had come home to rest, and enjoy some family time. Soon, she and the Wonderbolts would go on a worldwide tourney. Finally, after her mother comfortably tucked her in, she snuck out a flashlight, grabbed the journal, and continued reading.

***

Day 42

This very morning, my blood-stained hooves walked against the shivering cold tiles of the ceremonial room. I felt our highest ranking general's cold limbs around my neck, as he awarded me with a medal. I realize now just how horrible things were. Me, the very pony who once admired the knights, have come to fear and loathe the very beings I once idolized. I never knew such horrid acts were possible. I was awarded for killing others, for keeping their voices and concerns at bay. I was no hero, but rather an aging murderer. Physically, I might look stronger and better built than ever before. Alas, the innocence I had when I first came has since vanished in the passing breeze. They were right; we really can't go back the way we came. Now what Journal? Do we keep pushing ahead, knowing there may be no path for us to follow? And once we're at the peak, gazing upon the world below, where shall we go next. I sigh as I collapse on my bed. Downwards. That's where we will go; downwards. Into the abyss, a place where nobody comes out the same. I ask you Journal; is this the meaning of a soldier's life?

Day 45

Finally, I've returned today. We were ordered to hone our fighting skills, so the higher-ups threw us in the middle of the Everfree forest, and told us to survive. We did. I had to cook and eat snakes, rabbits, and various other small creatures. I can't believe it's only been 45 days since we left. Yet, in such a short time, I feel like I've aged beyond my years. I look back at who I was 45 days ago, and realize how different we are. I don't know where the others are right now, since we came here blindfolded. All I have is a small knife, and a few matches. I'm starting to run out of the latter however. I must find some flint, or anything that came help me light a fire. It's getting late, and I should rest. Better recover my energy quickly to stay vigilant. Good night, dear Journal.

Comments ( 1 )

Nice to see another chapter. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment