• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,841 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,841

Vehicles and Phones

Author's Note:

This is the longest chapter I've ever written. Period. Point. Blank. Neat for me, great for you, average amount for any writer. I know I'm one of those niƱas who writes very small chapters and you're thinking "How does it take a month to write 2k?" but I'm still in high school so school is a priority. And besides there being school, I just slack off in general. Like when I realize it's been a month since I published a chapter I just die because I haven't written much. So, to make writing and publishing easier, I decided to write anything that comes to mind when I get ideas right away before I start doubting them. And this is what happened as a result. LOTSA WORDS!

Sunset's POV

Why hadn't I seen that coming?

Why did I ignore the police sirens?

Why didn't I look out for it?

I pushed these questions to the back of my mind. They were useless thoughts that would only anger me if I linger on them long enough. Besides, the answers to them weren't any less upsetting. I frowned as my head pounded. Unlike Shimmer, I had no one to reduce, if not completely prevent, the pain of such a brutal landing. I raised a shaky hand to my forehead and felt something wet and warm trickle down the side of my face. Great. Blood. Just what I buckin' needed.

I looked over at Shimmer, who continued to lay on the ground, staring. She had been like that for a few minutes now and it was concerning. Her eyes kept staring into mine. I would have thought her to be dead had she not been breathing so hard. I swallowed, tasting the faintest hint of metal in my mouth. Wonderful. It found its way there, too.

"Ma'am, are you alright?"

I turned to see a police officer stooping over me. He had pale white skin and blue eyes. His dark blue hair was ruffled by the cap on his head. The man squinted at me before gasping quietly. "Hey, I know you! You're one of my little sister's friends!"

I frowned, not being able to recognize him. Whose big brother is this? Whatever. I don't really care. All I want to do is get up and hurry home. A wave of nausea hit me right then and there. On second thought, I wanna get patched up first. Home can wait. The officer waved over a few E.M.T.s who hastily brought over a gurney. They carefully lifted Shimmer onto it before wheeling her over to the back of the ambulance.

"Come on. Can you stand?" the cop asked. On his badge I read the name "Armor".

"Yeah, I'm sure I can." I struggled to stand up. My legs were battered and scraped from the road. Damned skirt. I should start wearing pants from now on. I limped over to where Shimmer was, trying my best to ignore every single screaming cry my body made in protest of my movement, and propped myself up on the thing. The E.M.T.s were checking her condition now. They examined her cuts and bruises and cleaned them with peroxide, placing big cloth patches over them afterward. They carried out a quick but thorough test to give their professional opinion of how well she was faring.

"Hmm, she seems fine. Just a bit out of it," one of them mumbled. "Her fall couldn't have given her any concussions...The dilation of her eyes is just fine...Her hearing is normal...Reflexes are a bit slow but that's a temporary side effect from shock. Heart rate is a little fast but that's expected. Thankfully, she'won't be needing to go to the hospital."

One of them gave a thumbs up to indicate she was just fine. I sighed with relief and felt the pressure on my lungs melt away. I didn't know I was holding my breath until I exhaled.

"Alright. Now this young lady on the other hand..."

I went through the same check-up as Shimmer, only it took longer, required a lot more bandages and medical supplies, and resulted in me having to redo tests since the data wasn't reliable. I was a little more unstable than I thought. My mind is unbelievably clear right now though. Everything, all the details, are as sharp as can be. Not sure if I should be concerned about that. After going through the examination, the E.M.T.s declared me O.K. I just needed lots of rest for at least three days due to the minor head injury.

From a distance, I could hear Officer Armor's radio.

"Unit B, reply. I repeat, Unit B, reply. Unit A has lost sight of your cars at 3:32:10. Last seen northbound on Pastern Road. Over."

Officer Armor pressed a button on the side of the device and spoke into it. "This is Officer Armor, #1029, of Unit B. We are at the Pastern-Hock intersection. Over."

"State your reason, Officer Armor. Over."

"A near hit-and-run, sir, by the suspect. It currently is being investigated," the man said.

"Hmm...Sending #1031 and #1022 of Unit A. Suspect was lost. Last seen eastbound on I-90 W at 3:57:41. Remaining officers of Unit A patrol the area and report to the Trottingham officers. Over."

A suspect. So whoever almost ran Shimmer down was already on the police's radar. I turned to one of the guys bandaging my bloody head wound and asked, "Who's the suspect? What's going on?"

One of them tilted their head before replying. "The Trottingham police force was chasing down a convicted felon from their city, which is a good hundred or so miles away from here. The guy's running from their crimes and from what I heard, it's serious business. The Trottingham police contacted Pointeville's department only an hour ago saying they needed help, seeing as the criminal was headed this way.

"Problem is, they couldn't track a pattern in the driving since it was so impulsive. This caused an issue since it meant we couldn't predict where they would be going and call the Hall ahead of time for certain streets to be closed so a blockade could be set up. Prepping for that stuff takes quite a bit of time since there are so many people in this city driving around and getting in the way. The Trottingham police should have given the cops more than an hour's heads up. The criminal could have been caught by now."

The man shook his head. "As far as we Medical Technicians know, no one has been hurt severely by the rogue car chase. Stuff like this only happens in movies." He looked around before lowering his voice. "Of course, you wont tell anyone about this? We don't want anyone panicking about it."

"I won't." I'm the worst person to tell these things to but whatever. I'm not interested in spreading the news anyway. They have their problems and I have mine. Let's keep it that way and move along on our separate paths.

Speaking of separate paths, mine leads elsewhere at the moment and I intend to follow it. I needed to get home. As soon as no one was looking, I slipped away. I crossed the street and shuffled into an alley. Glancing back, I could see no one noticed that I had gone. I sighed. Good. But what wasn't good was that I felt a throbbing pain in my head. That Technician wasn't lying about needing some rest. My head was pounding and my vision was doubling. Ugh...

I walked on, albeit, slow as hell, but I walked nonetheless. With my wobbling legs, I would say that it'd take a good 45 minutes. Why do I live so freaking far from the school? Hmm, I lived pretty far from Canterlot High, too, now that I think about it. Oh, for the love of Celestia, why are these schools so far away? Nevermind my crappy apartment. Both cities must have had the same city planner...I frowned. That doesn't matter right now. Come on, Sunset, focus on the real goal here.

Just...oh, my head...just get...

Home...


Shimmer's POV

Sunset had gone. I looked around. There wasn't a single hair of hers. Except if you count mine but that actually doesn't count. I had noticed her absence nearly twenty minutes ago, but was too tired to move, having woken up just moments before. I had thought that maybe she was just out of sight and still here. But now that I'm mobile, doubt has been left surrounding that little idea I had. I asked around, seeing if anyone saw her leave, and the answer was a big, fat no from all the cops. As troublesome as it was, I had to put that in the back of my mind; my parents must be worried about me. I can't stay out here too long. Next to a car, Twilight's brother was rubbing his head in a boyish manner, clearly embarrassed about something as he talked on his phone.

"I know. I'm sorry, Twilight. I had to work over time because...yes. Yeah, it's the Trottingham felon...No, no, but I really had to stay behind because..."

After hearing that, I tuned him out. Seeing him talk on his phone just reminded me that I had a way to contact other people. I reached into my pocket expecting my own cellular device to be in there, but found that it wasn't. I frowned and looked around for it, only to find it in the street, battered and cracked. Once again, Sunset did something to cause damage to my phone.

Frantically, I turned it on. Ok, it seems to be working...Quickly I dialed in a number. 555-13....The phone immediately recognized it as a number I've called before and filled in the rest along with the name of the person. My index finger hovered right over it, ready to press it. But I didn't. I almost pressed it, but I didn't. I bit my lip and shook my head slowly. On the cracked screen it read:

Sunset
555-1324

I sighed in aggravation. Why am I calling her? The people I should be contacting first should be my parents! I went to delete the numbers I typed but paused to rethink this move.

When Sunset had initially sat up after we crashed on the ground, she looked at me with her gorgeous eyes. I couldn't understand a thing she was saying as I stared into them. She looked pretty worried and even afraid. She was shaking me. Hard. That really hurt but it didn't bring me out of my trance. What did get me to snap out of it was when I could see the tears well up in her eyes. Suddenly, the world around me came back and I could hear everything she was saying.

"Shimmer! Don't you stare at me like that! Come on, snap out of it!" She shook me harder and I grabbed her hand. It really hurt so I needed her to quit that, but it also served as a sign that I was ok. I blinked and said her name. Sunset let me go and wiped her eyes, sighing with relief. She cleared her throat and looked away. "You didn't see that..."

I smirked. She had been worried about me. It was interesting that she would be concerned for my well-being all like that, seeing as how we hadn't spoken to one another in over almost a week. Which reminded me: she still hadn't explained why she was acting the way she was around Stella. I, personally, like Stella. There's nothing wrong with her. So what was Sunset's problem?

I stood up and pressed call. Either way, she's out here somewhere. And not in the best condition. What is she thinking, disappearing like that? Anything could happen to her. Annoyed, I held my phone to my ear. The phone buzzed once. Twice. Thrice. four times now. Fifth time. Si--I'm sorry but the person you're calling is not avail--

I hung up and gritted my teeth. This doesn't look good. But it's only one call she's missed. Maybe she was fumbling around with her phone and I hung up too quickly for her to catch me. Yes, that sounds about right. I redialed. Only to get the same robotic voice answer my call. I groaned. No, she couldn't just fumble a second time. I kept redialing. But the pre-recording sounded again. My patience was running out. I could feel my aggravation turning into anger. By the fourth one I was upset and uncertain about what was going on. Where the heck was she?! Instead of waiting for her to pick up, I decided to leave a message this time. But when the phone beeped for me to speak, my irritation with her took control.

"Sunset, this-this is Shimmer. Where'd you go? You just...you just left me!" I barked, feeling the rush of emotion going through me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see some of the officers were looking my way. It only made my mood tank even more. "You know I'm not doing too well with...with what's happened, and you, too! You're in an even worse condition! How could you vanish without saying a word! Sunset...you..."

I closed my eyes. The anger and worry was building inside me; I couldn't stop what had come out my mouth next.

"I'M WORRIED! I'M WORRIED ABOUT YOU! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE ALONE, YOU SICK DOG!" I ended the call and growled at my phone like it was the cause of all my troubles. The screen flickered before it blipped out into nothingness. I could feel the stares of the officers around me. I tried my best to ignore them. A hand touched my shoulder and I turned to see it was Twilight's brother.

"Uh, why don't I take you home? Your parents must be worried sick about you, and not to mention Twilight wants me to make sure you're alright. I told her what happened, if you don't mind."

"No...no, I don't mind. Just let her know I don't think my phone works anymore so calling is out of the question."

"Ok. You ready?"

I nodded weakly, suddenly feeling tired. I should go home and rest. Officer Armor opened the passenger seat door for me and I thanked him before sitting down. He walked around the car and started the engine. After telling him where I lived he rolled onto the street and headed down a familiar path to home. I sighed. I should have contacted my parents. But all my energy was spent on yelling on a voicemail. I told myself that my family was priority! Why didn't I listen to that thought in the first place?

I could hear my mom and dad already.

"Shimmer! Where were you? Why didn't you call??" Mr. Flare asked sternly, his arms crossed as he stood in the doorway to the house. As soon as he looked her up and down, however, his frown disappeared and was replaced with shock.

"Shimmer! Oh my gosh, my baby!" Autumn Breeze cried from behind her father. She zipped around him and ran to her daughter, eyes teary. "What happened to you?! Your clothes! Your arm! You've got cuts all over!"

Solar Flare came down the front steps and wrapped both his wife and daughter in his arms. "Come inside quickly and we'll have a good look at you."

The two adults pulled Shimmer inside and re-cleaned her cuts and bruises while yelling at her about calling, being safe, and responsibility.

Goodness. I probably deserved to be shouted at for not calling them first. Sunset isn't my legal guardian so ringing her up wasn't necessary. Besides, she's an alien from another world. I'm sure she could handle getting a few runs of road rash on her arms and legs. I just got so upset that she up and left without a word that I kind of lost it. And then there's the whole Stella thing and the not answering my calls.
See, you'd think that a girl who's wounded very badly would hold onto her cell like it was her only friend in the world. She'd have it on hand to call any and everybody about this mess so she can get sympathy and support, and not to mention help. If she was purposefully ignoring me, then I'm officially "P"-ed off.

As the car moved, I looked out the window, not knowing what to do. My phone went all wonky, my arm burns, and I'm mad at Sunset. Why is the universe always pushing me into impossible situations? Ever since Sunset has shown up, my life has been a whirlwind of I don't know what. I shook my head and continued to look out the window. The sky was darkening right about now. I frowned. Had I not fallen asleep shortly after getting my cuts bandaged I could have been on my way home and there almost two hours ago. The E.M.T.s were just too nice to wake me up, I guess. I was too weary from shock to keep an eye open. And within that time that I slept, Sunset slipped away. She could have left at any time...I slouched in my seat, feeling the same weariness from before take over my body once more. Something always had to happen to me.

Outside, the sky was giving way to oranges, pinks, and yellows, the blue of late evening becoming darker and darker as it surrounded the rest of the colors. My eyes narrowed at the sight. Watching the sun set had always been a calming activity. The beautiful hues painted across the canvas overhead with a few strokes of a brush was how my father explained it; the clouds were the brushes and the air was the canvas.

I was about to close my eyes when I saw something up ahead on the sidewalk. It was crumpled and unmoving and hard to see, but for the red and yellow hair. My eyes snapped open and I clicked my seat belt loose. "Stop the car! I'll get off here!"

"Wha--!" Officer Shining slowed his speed but didn't completely stop. "But didn't you say you lived--"

Before he could finish the sentence, I burst out of the car as it rolled forward and ran to the figure on the sidewalk.


Sunset's POV

I don't remember much. All I know was that I was walking and my head just throbbed. That was it. Everything after that was so foggy. I do recall Shimmer calling out to me a few times and grabbing me. And there is a vague recollection of her struggling to get me to walk, but beside that, nothing.

Right now, everything's black. That's all I can see, anyway. I think my eyes are closed, maybe that's why. From what I know, though, I'm laying in bed, the soft sheets cushioning my sore body. Sadly, the sheets can't do anything for my pounding head. A small groan escaped from my lips.

"...Sunset?"

I opened my eyes and found a girl standing over me. What the...I moved my arms and motioned to sit up, flinching from the stiffness in my body. Shimmer gently laid a hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down. "You really shouldn't."

I did as she bid, seeing it was more beneficial to me. My head started throbbing even more when I attempted to get up so staying in bed made more sense. I groaned again before asking a question. "Where am I?"

My voice sounded weaker than I wanted it to. Thankfully, there was no one else, except my double, to witness this at the moment. Shimmer sat down in a chair next to the bed and sighed. "We're in your apartment."

"My apartment..?"

"Yes."

"How..?"

"Well, I...I found you. I found you passed out on the sidewalk, Sunset. As soon as I saw you, I tried to wake you up but you were fading in and out of consciousness. So I pretty much dragged you here after trying to get you to tell me where you lived." Shimmer rubbed her shoulder and yawned. "You're pretty heavy. I think you might weigh more than me."

I just shrugged under the covers. "Huh."

It was silent for a few moments before Shimmer spoke up, her voice sharp and irritable. "That's all you have to say? 'Huh'? No thank you??"

"Thanks."

"Ugh! You're so ungrateful! And after I had to carry you here, and change your bandages, and deal with all the blood that was seeping through the old ones...You don't have any contagious diseases, do you? I really hope you don't because I don't want--"

"Oh, be quiet already. You owe me this, anyway. I saved your life."

"And I just saved your life! You were out cold--"

"I only fainted because I was moving too quickly for someone who just hit their head pretty hard on concrete. I wouldn't have died."

"Yes, you could have! Anything could have happened, like a random dude just...just walking up and deciding to...to..."

"Please. I would have kicked his ass in my sleep."

"What kind of?! Look, I know you're some kind of horse creature with magic, but falling unconscious means you aren't moving. The end. There's no kicking people's butts at that point. You're just out." Shimmer ran her fingers though her hair and looked at me with tired eyes. I looked back at her and realized just how awful she looked.

Her hair was in disarray, all the reds and yellows tangled together in knots all over her head like it hadn't be combed in years. There were small bags under her sore looking eyes and a crease in her brow that folded her smooth skin. Shimmer had removed her jacket and hung it on the chair she sat in, her light blue shirt not looking any better than her outer wear. There was dirt and dried blood caked under her nails, like she had just dealt with the used bandages. I cringed. Normally, I would smirk and say something really rude about her appearance but at the moment I felt badly for her. She has had a long day. And I do mean a long day.

Shimmer let out a desperate whimper. "You lost so much blood it's upsetting. I'm starting to think those medic men were doing a rush job on us. I mean, sure all we did was jump out of the way and not land on our feet, but even the smallest fall can leave a person dead." She turned away from me and scanned the room. Her voice was weak. How long has she stayed and taken care of me? By now it has to be nearing seven at night..? "Maybe I should have an ambulance come and get you. You're pretty pale. I just need to call."

"That won't be any good. All I can do is let my body regenerate itself," I said quietly.

My double raised an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation.

"Call the hospital all you want but they won't have my blood type. I have horse blood, type K. If they try to do a transfusion it would be disastrous."

Shimmer hummed in understanding. "Will you be alright?"

"I think so. I've gotten into some pretty rough one-on-too manys with humans and lost quite a bit. I lived though, your evidence being moi."

"...One-on-too manys?"

"Fighting."

"You lost blood from fighting? Like fist fighting?"

"It was more like switchblades and shanks."

Shimmer opened her mouth to reply but instead shook her head. She took my phone from out my jacket pocket and asked for my password.

"6969."

"..."

"I'm just messing with you. It's an easy 7590. Who're you calling?"

"My parents. My phone isn't working so I couldn't call them." Shimmer tapped the screen a couple of times before she put it to her ear, and with that, she wandered out of the room.

I sighed before propping myself up on my elbows. I definitely was in my apartment. All I had to do was glance at the Spring Fling and Fall Formal ribbons and crowns in the corner of my room to know where I was. Those things should have been thrown out a long time ago. The Golden Days were-- I mean, the bad, horrible me of the past was behind the new, totally reformed me. Which is a lie. I still am my regular old self, just not into playing dress-up. Man, I wonder why I thought those dances were so great. All I got was a cheap plastic thing placed on my head and a droopy sash to wear. I guess I was too used to the title of princess literally meaning 'you are an alicorn, therefore you have actual power over ponies'.

I wish there was someone who could've clarified the difference between human royalty and pony royalty. The ones of this world are either really hard to find or have no power whatsoever. It's cool that they don't have to pay a thing called 'taxes', but still. I had no idea I was just being an excited school filly about it all. And the worst part is that I actually was scheming to have this title that holds no worth in this world. Getting shot in the face by a rainbow really does wonders for the brain. It definitely cleared my head of that stupid fantasy. But it didn't give me the powers of friendship or anything. Honestly, any magic at this point would be great. I wish I had some right now to heal this stupid injury I have.

Slowly, I sat all the way up in bed kicking off the sheets and swinging my legs over the side of the bed. I stood up and glanced at the window. It was well past school hours, obviously. Street lamps were flickering on as I looked out the window. It's a damn shame that I missed the sun set. I always make it a point to watch it. It gives me pride. I shuffled out of the room and thudded across the hall to the bathroom. Painkillers is all I needed. I turned on the light and scrounged around for some until they showed up in a cabinet. I swallowed a pill dry and gagged. It was a small price to pay for relief.

As I was making my way out of the bathroom I caught a glance of myself in the mirror. And woo did I look terrible! Worse than Shimmer with my bandana-looking thing and this weird scratch that runs through my left brow, over my eye lid, and down near my cheek. Looks like I got myself a pirate scar from...something. I sniffed. My good looks are being taken away by a small jump on the road. Maybe I should talk to Rarity about some kind of skin product I could use to help hide the blemishes. Which reminds me that I hadn't chatted with her in a while. CHS is probably doing fine without me.

Down the hall I could hear Shimmer talking on the phone in the living room/kitchen. It sounded as if she were being yelled at. I saw her flinch and give meek answers to her mother. Autumn Breeze had been always been a 'No Nonsense' type of parent, always setting the rules. As a filly whenever I did something that warranted my mother's scolding, my father would wait in the background for her to finish, and when she was done, he'd slip me a candy as long as I promised not to 'be bad' again.

It worked, seeing as how I loved the little sweets my dad gave me, and I would always stay good...for a while, at least. The most I could go without doing something that made my parents frown was about four months, which is really good considering who I came to be in the end. You know, evil and all. My favorite candy that my father would give me were Orange Creams. It tastes just like sweet clementines with a yummy cream; just as the name suggests. I haven't been able to find any in a long time. That's too bad...Oh right, Shimmer. I was trying to eavesdrop. Got lost in thought there.

"Yes. I'm over...at, uh, a friend's," Shimmer murmured into the cellular device. "Their name? Oh, it's...it's..." Shimmer looked back to see me in the doorway of the living room/kitchen area. She was standing in the open kitchen at the moment. "Um, dad's met her."

"Tell me their name already, sweetie."

"Erm..."

"Don't you tell me you're over a boy's house!"

Shimmer almost dropped my phone and fumbled. "What? No no no no no! I'm not! Their name's...oh gosh."

I chuckled. As much as I wanted to see how this would go I should probably help out. "It's Sunrise Shine," I said loudly so her/my/our mother could hear me. I coughed and lowered my voice to distinguish myself from the human version. "My name's Sunrise Shine, ma'am."

Shimmer sighed with relief and pressed speaker so we could both hear her.

"Oh, Ms. Shine, is it? I just want to thank you so much for saving my little girl! I don't know what I'd do without her. I mean, she's my only child! Imagine what that could do to an old soul like mine."

"Just as dramatic as always..."

"What?"

"Oh, I just said you're very welcome, ma'am."

"One moment. My husband's taking the phone..." Shimmer bit her lip out of embarrassment as we waited for Solar Flare to come on. I poked her in the face and smirked. Man, not only does she look cute when she's mad, she looks so vulnerable when she blushes. It makes you want to scoop her up in your arms. Hey, whoa whoa. This is yourself you're talking about. Ha, but of course I'd say these things. She's me and I know I look good. Maybe not right at this second, me personally, but Shimmer looks nice even when she got wrecked by the street.

"Sunrise?" a deep voice said.

"O-oh! Uh, yes, sir!" I replied.

"Thank you. I just...thank you. I have a favor to ask as much as it pains me to since I know you both aren't ok. But could you please let Shimmer spend the night there? I can't make it to your place for some hours since there's some issue with the car. It's being repaired right now. Some person who thought they were 'Speedy Gonzalez' made a hit-and-run on my car. Um, Shimmer told me E.M.T.s checked you out, yes?"

"Yes."

"So there's nothing damaged?"

"Well, I just have to rest. That's it. The worst your daughter has is cuts and bruises."

"Ok...Please, if you would be so gracious, let my daughter stay? I wouldn't dare ask her to take the bus home, not after something so frightening."

"It's...no problem."

"Oh thank you! Have a good night, Sunrise."

I hung up and sighed. Well that was unexpected...Shimmer groaned and turned toward the bathroom. "Well, I'm going to take a bath. Get me in 30 minutes."

"30 minutes? Are you crazy?? Who do you think has to pay the water bill around here?!"

"It's a bath, not a shower. Anyway, you sound like my mom." And with that she walked into the bathroom and called out, "So, are there any clothes for me to wear? I don't want to have to change back into this. Oh, and where am I sleeping? Hey, where's the shampoo and body wash? I'm kind of hungry. Have any foo--"

She didn't get to finish as I slammed the bathroom door shut on my way back to my bedroom. This was going to be a long night.