• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,826 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,826

Isolation and Limitations

Author's Note:

You Can't Help Who You Love is ranked 9,815th on Fimfiction. It is the 25,163rd longest story and can be found in 579 bookshelves, being tracked by 287 users

Look at these fabulous statistics! It's the best thing ever! I've never had a story that's ranked below the 10,000th mark! It's always usually in the 20,000s somewhere. I love you peeps! Thanks for everything!

Sitting out in the cool air of spring, Sunset sighed. Birds chirped and flew around in circles above her head, flowers popped up around her feet, and the lovely blue sky promised good weather. The students of Canterlot High were all out having a breather from the stifling hot school. It was amazing how overwhelmingly heated that place was inside. At the moment, an AC company was installing an air conditioning unit throughout the whole school building.

They had come unexpectedly. Principal Celestia tried to tell them it wasn't a good time to start installation since the students would be in the way. But they had a butt load of customers who wanted AC as well. The Principal would have to schedule a different date and the next available date was nearly three months away. There was no way she and the students would survive being stuck in the school building with no air conditioning that long.

So...everybody had to be outside while they worked on improving the conditions inside the school. Most of the teenagers found this to be an exciting change to the dull repetition of the school day. The boys played around; hopping and skipping and jumping, something they couldn't do in the halls without getting a detention. Girls gossiped and chatted about the Spring Fling that would be held soon. And Sunset...well, she drifted off from them and amused herself.

It wasn't like anyone wanted to let her join their group or anything. And Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash were too busy helping Pinkie Pie make arrangements for the Spring Fling to notice she was alone. Sunset crossed her arms and looked up at the sky deep in thought. Despite the pleasant atmosphere the fiery-headed girl couldn't help but feel sad. She gazed up at the clouds and sighed.

Even though she had resolved to never let herself get dragged into this friendship business she felt she needed someone to talk to. Someone to listen to her and understand her. A person she could trust to hold her secrets and never keep a single drop of judgement against her. To be honest, her resolve didn't change anything really. All it did was isolate her even more from everyone else. At least when she had been around Twilight's friends she felt a slight bit of security.

On Friday, Sunset had given the five girls an angry message saying she didn't want them to try and talk to her. That she was through with friendship. And the response Sunset got from that was 'You need friends'. Earlier that morning they tried to talk to her despite her saying they shouldn't, and she spat out some words that the reformed Sunset Shimmer would never say.

After that, Sunset was left alone. They would cast sad looks and shake their heads, but no words were exchanged. Sunset gritted her teeth. It wasn't like they'd ever understand her reasons for not wanting to be their friend. No one could...

The only person who could understand her was herself.

Sunset frowned as an image of the other girl came into her mind. Ok...maybe not herself, but herself herself. This other girl, this Shimmer as those two teens at the shop referred to her as, seemed way more innocent than she. Sunset could tell she had no mean bone in her body whatsoever. She seemed pretty average...

From what those two workers at the Java Bean shop said, she took guitar lessons with Mr. Melody. And she had a guitar with her when Sunset bumped into the girl so no mystery there. Sunset could tell it was a more expensive kind of instrument with good quality sound from the case. It was a Frank Hubert and those guitars had cases specially designed to each individual instrument. Shimmer must be serious about playing. Sunset, on the other hand, stopped playing guitar two years ago when she and Flash broke up. Flash had taught her how to play when they were dating and it helped her get some dexterity in her fingers.

But after that breakup she just...didn't play anymore. Maybe Sunset was still a bit sour about it. Maybe. But that guy was a loser.

"All by yourself, I see..."

The fiery-headed girl turned her head to see a blue girl with white hair in front of her.

"And what do I have the pleasure of being spoken to, oh so shitty magician," Sunset said in a monotone.

"I am the Great and Powerful Trixie, you wretched beast!" the girl cried.

Sunset shrugged.

"What do you want. Are you here to tell me how much of a bad girl I've been."

Trixie sniffed and crossed her arms.

"I'm here to tell you that you better not ruin this next upcoming event."

"Oh, you mean the Spring Fling? Right, about that..." Sunset began.

"Don't tell me you've already screwed things up for us!!!" Trixie screamed, ready to pounce on her.

Sunset chuckled.

"Don't get your panties in a twist, Ditzy."

"It's Trixie! And don't speak about vulgar things, Shimmer!"

Sunset's cocky mood changed when she heard that name. Her sassy attitude became one of deep thought, much to her subconscious surprise. Her dead gaze eased and her shoulders relaxed some. She felt a bit conflicted. Whenever the teachers call her 'Ms. Shimmer' she knew they were talking about her...but then she always thought of the other her. It was a matter that brought Sunset into a state of quietness. Like the name was forbidden somehow.

Well, it is, but it had a sense of secrecy to it now. She was the only person to know about her and the situation in which the two of them existed in the same realm beside Princess Twilight. Sunset hadn't told anyone that she was of Twilight's kind and once was a former student of the homeland's ruler. Everyone thought she was just as human as themselves. Except for the demon part but other than that she seemed human...ish.

Taking Sunset's changed mood as a sign of weakness, Trixie began to show her superiority by addressing the rules of which the other girl should follow regarding the Spring Fling.

"Nobody here at CHS likes you. So the best way to make sure you don't get in the way, the Student Body has written a contract under which you have to agree to its rules."

Trixie handed Sunset a piece of paper. This is what it said:

THE STUDENT BODY hereby gives this contract to Sunset Shimmer as a reminder of what is to be expected at the Spring Fling Celebration. This is a guideline for the appropriate behavior that should be shown if said person is to attend.

Attire- No outerwear. Jeans, boots, and jackets of any material are not considered proper clothing for such an occasion. Old tennis shoes are not permitted. Tank tops are not permitted. Nice dress shirt or blouse with a knee-length skirt and/or a dress that goes below the knees is acceptable. Must wear dress shoes and approved clothing listed.

Dancing- Do not shout, yell, cry, scream, shriek, etc. Any action that could bring attention to said person is unwise, therefore not allowed. When dancing, please refrain from any action involving sudden and/or wild movements. Keep hands and feet to yourself. When walking around, dancing, or otherwise, stay at least ten feet away from the stage. Live performances are to happen and as a courtesy to the performers, please keep a respective distance.

Food- Do not throw any food or drink at anything or anyone. Such actions will be punishable by immediate removal from the Spring Fling Celebration. When finished eating, throw away all utensils and uneaten food in a trash can. Please do not hover around the food and drink table. If not getting anything to eat, it is unnecessary to stay in the vicinity of the table.

General behavior- Do not curse at anyone. If nothing good is to be said do not say anything. Do not destroy any property or decorations. Be as pleasant as said person is required to be.

Rule that needs to be followed- Do not get involved in the Spring Fling campaign for this year's Spring Fling Princess. The person running will be disqualified if such news of said person being involved in the campaign is reported. Violation of this rule will result in possible suspension.

Thank you for reading the rules set by the Student body. Sign below for verification that you have understood and accepted these rules.

X_____________________________________________

Approved by Principal Celestia of Canterlot High School

Sunset stared at the paper. She felt her face burn with anger and her hands tremble as it gripped the guideline. This was so demeaning. To have to be told the rules and have limitations against her was infuriating. And what made this worse was that Principal Celestia approved of this! Sunset could see why she did. The limitations weren't outrageous and the rules applied to most everyone. But the fact that her peers made this and got it approved...

It was one thing if the principal herself made it. Sunset could live with that. The principal made the rules and issued out warnings and stuff all the time.

But her classmates were doing it.

Sunset gritted her teeth. She was on the verge of tears. Trixie was smirking before her. By signing this contract Sunset therefore surrendered her own right to free will. In a rage, Sunset ripped the paper up and tossed the shreds at the other girl. Trixie just laughed and fluffed her hair.

"That was very unwise, Sunset. If you show up to the Spring Fling without this signed you'll be in so much trouble."

"Who said I was going to the damned thing?!?!" Sunset shouted.

Trixie turned her back to her and shrugged.

"Well, your loss. I thought these dances were all you had since you were so desperate to claim a measly crown every year before..."

"Fuck you, Trixie!"

"Oh, don't be mad at me! You're the one who made yourself look that way to other people, Shimmer!" Trixie laughed as she walked away.

Sunset stomped her foot on the ground and yelled," MY NAME'S NOT SHIMMER!!!!"