• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,841 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,841

Starting Point

Author's Note:

I've been ignoring you guys for too long! Sorry, school started last Monday so I was really busy. Enjoy this chapter please! I know I owe you a much longer one but I'll give it to you in the next one I hope.

Shimmer's Point of View

"Shimmer."

Sunset forcefully took her helmet off and looked at me. Her hair fanned out around her face like bright rays of sunlight. I closed my eyes and sighed. Of course I would meet her here. This was where we first met. I opened my eyes to find Sunset off her bike and walking toward me. Her face was stern and revealed no emotion. "Shimmer, we need to talk."

She stopped abruptly in front of me. I defiantly stepped back. "What if I don't want to talk to you."

Sunset hesitated. Her shoulders went rigid. I could tell she hadn't been expecting my answer. She must've run this scenario over and over in her head and had it in her mind that it might actually go her way. Which only made me feel more reluctant to talk to her.

"Regardless of what you want, I need to talk to you," Sunset said," It's important."

I frowned. "Yeah, sure. Whatever it is, I don't care to discuss."

I turned away from her. I'm just going to have to take the long way home then if it means avoiding her. But my plan was interrupted when I felt her fingers tightly wrap themselves around my wrist and stop me from moving forward.

"Don't go anywhere."

"Let go of me."

"Hear me out, Shimmer."

"No. Just let go."

"I need to talk to you!"

"Well I don't want to!"

Her grasp tightened around my wrist. I bit my lip. If she were to hold it any tighter I'm sure I would either lose circulation and go numb, or have a blood vessel cut by the nail that was threatening to embed itself into my skin. Gritting my teeth I turned my head to her slightly. "You're hurting me."

Her hand released my wrist. I backed away rubbing it. Sunset sighed, running her fingers through her hair. She looked away at the factory in annoyance. "Sorry..." she grumbled.

"That's a first..." I muttered to myself.

She shot me a look before beginning to speak. "Look, I just want to address an issue. Just one thing. If you let me do this I'll do you a favor, ok? I just need to talk to you."

I raised an eyebrow. What an odd thing for her to do. She'd actually do me a favor? Unlikely... How reliable is she to keep her word? Why should I let her speak just for that one thing? There were plenty of reasons why I wouldn't trust Sunset. But looking at her expression, I could see that she might not be joking at all. Her eyes looked at me with a sincerity I hadn't seen from her before. Her mouth was a thin line that wasn't seeming to twitch into a smile and the silence that followed after her words held a feeling of calmness. It was like she was in a state of quiet defeat, having lost her usual sassy mood. Thinking about it more, I could I could actually get her to leave me alone if I asked her to now.

Cautiously, I ventured on to see how true her words were. "Will you really do me a favor if I listen to what you had to say?"

Sunset nodded. "I will."

"Well then go and tell me what you will."


Sunset's Point of View

Shimmer stands before me with her hands on her hips, her expression unbelieving. I swallowed. Who knew I could be so frustrating?! I frowned to myself. Looks like I'm getting a taste of my own medicine and boy, does it taste like shit. I better get talking before she lose interest.

"So you know that today was my first day at Pointeville High..."

"Yes. I know," the other girl replied curtly.

"Well, there was no surprise that people were shocked to see that there were two of us. And surprisingly, people accepted me with open arms--"

"What a shocker."

"--and for once I felt that I could belong."

Shimmer smirked. I could see that she was amused by what I said. "You really think you'll belong here? Before you know it you'll jack up people's lives like you did mine."

I opened my mouth to counter her remark and found that there were no words to say. I looked down at the ground in thought. She wasn't lying about that. I had done it back at Canterlot high, what makes me think that I won't do the same here? All I want is to get away from all the hard looks that people gave me everywhere I went. I just want to feel appreciated. And I got that today.

Ok, maybe that was more of a fascination that people had about me, but still. At least I felt like I could fit in in time. But the only person who wouldn't see to it, who didn't believe that I could change...was myself. My eyes wandered back up to Shimmer, who was looking triumphant. Myself...I didn't believe that I had changed...She didn't believe it and she only knew me for a short time! Showing Shimmer that Sugar Belle and Double Diamond were not her true friends was something I thought was a good thing. But I had gone about it in a way that made me hurt her. It no longer mattered that her previous friends weren't good to hang around.

I hurt myself.

I gritted my teeth. In the end, all the pain I caused comes crashing down on me. I had given up on friendship before and now seemed like a good time to pick it back up. It will take quite a bit of time but I'm sure I could do it. I need to change my ways once and for all and befriend Shimmer. If I make her happy there will be no cutting stares, no side-eyed glances, no scowls, no nothing. I will finally be able to be at peace and make a difference. Princess Twilight was right, as much as I hate to admit it. Friendship must be Magic. It worked for others but she had given it up before she really gave it a chance. It's time she give it another try. And hopefully that magic will patch up the sore spot she made in her and herself's relationship.

"Shimmer, I want us to be friends."