• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 411 Views, 31 Comments

Ponymunity - ShortHilt



Short Hilt the pegasus has always had a dream of creating her own town for ponies and other creatures to live in harmony. She will travel as far as she can to find the perfect spot. What awaits her beyond the horizon? Will she succeed?

  • ...
1
 31
 411

Chapter 4

Patina slept soundly for the first time in years. Her new home was such a relief from a dusty old cave. She felt like for the first time she was actually home again, and even with the morning sun shining brightly into her room, she still basked in a comforting slumber.

With the last bit of her dream fading, her consciousness returned. Her gorgeous blue eye opened half-way to make sure she was still in her new bed. With a squeaked yawn, she managed to pull herself out of bed. She stretched her wings and looked out the window, happy to see the construction ponies still about their business on the other end of town where the shops would go. Patina wandered to her washroom and levitated a brush to comb her messy hair. Laughing to herself, she brushed it while thinking of what to have for breakfast.

----

"Alright miss Short Hilt, everything should be good to go now!" Cloud Spur yelled enthusiastically from her post near a finished building. Her blue coat was dusty from all the dirt and saw dust.

The purple pegasus jumped up excitedly, "At last~!" Short Hilt flew over to the group of ponies that were exhausted but proud of their work, "As soon as our shops start to produce a profit I'll send extra funds your way, but here's a few to at least compensate for now," she reached into her pack and pulled out her bag of bits.

Cloud Spur took the bag and nodded, "Most appreciated! Perhaps later down the road I'll think of coming back here. It would be fun to live in a town I knew I helped build."

"Of course! I'd be happy to have you," She smiled brightly. As the construction ponies all flew back to Cloudsdale, Short Hilt began to notice how empty her town had become without all the guests, "Welcome to Ponymunity...population: two," she mumbled sadly and sighed, her head held low.

"Miss Short Hilt!" Came a shout from behind her. As she whipped her attention over to the earth stallion trotting up to her he continued, "I'm happy to let you know that the tracks leading towards Canterlot and Ponyville are complete, as well as to Appaloosa and Manehattan. You should be connected to every major city now. I believe the first train should arrive tomorrow!"

Her heart fluttered a little, "Oh wow, really?" She turned her whole body around to face him, "Thank you so much!"

The stallion nodded, "I think we'll all be headin' back to Appaloosa once we've had lunch. You're welcome to join us if ya like!" He turned to go back to the others.

Short Hilt thought for a moment. She wasn't particularly hungry due to the encasing lonely feeling creeping in on her. If it wasn't for Patina to pal around with, the first few days would have been brutal for sure. Short Hilt enjoyed her privacy, yes, but she always craved the companionship of others. Now that it was just going to be two of them, she was eager for the first train to arrive filled with new residents. She shook her head, deciding not to have lunch with them. She found her way over to the town hall. Ponymunity was still rather unfamiliar, even though she saw it built from the ground up. Glancing around her, she realized she had forgotten where Patina's new home was. Laughing to herself a little, she walked into the building. She smiled at how pretty it was, but it was still rather empty. No artwork decorating the halls, no plants to liven it up, and nopony at the front desk to greet her.

Patina noticed Short Hilt on her way to the hall. She tried waving at her, but she was preoccupied. She glanced around and walked up to her, "Is something wrong, Hilty?" Patina entered the doorway, "You seem upset, did something happen?"

"Oh, no, it's nothing..." She grew quiet for a few moments, seating herself on the cold marble floor.

"That silence says otherwise," Patina walked over and placed her hoof on her friend's shoulder, "What has you so down?"

She looked up at her, "It's...just so lonely right now...I was half way expecting new residents to be here already..."

Patina smiled, "Oh, Hilty. I know you're just eager to make new friends and have more ponies living here, but you already know that things don't always work like that."

"I was also expecting some of the ponies here already would move in...Cloud Spur said she might but I think that was juts a kind gesture," She shifted her wings, trying not to get too upset. She finally stood and began to walk out the door, head still low.

Patina followed, "Yes, I know. But this will give you time to get acquainted with where everything is, yes? I'll go with you if you like."

"Thanks, Patina. I'd like that," Short Hilt lifted her head up and smiled.

----

"Aaaaaalll aboard!"

A shout from the conductor caught the attention of a grey unicorn Stallion who was sitting on a bench reading his newspaper. He smiled, putting the crisp paper back into his pack. He levitated his bags and walked onto the train. Glancing back at Canterlot he smiled, "Good riddance ya old duffer."