• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 412 Views, 31 Comments

Ponymunity - ShortHilt



Short Hilt the pegasus has always had a dream of creating her own town for ponies and other creatures to live in harmony. She will travel as far as she can to find the perfect spot. What awaits her beyond the horizon? Will she succeed?

  • ...
1
 31
 412

Chapter 1

Short Hilt inhaled deeply, enjoying the flight. She kept her eyes scanned on the horizon for any potential building spots. Jagged mountain overlooking a fiery valley? Adventurous, but no. Nope, still jagged. Still barren. She began to grow weary and rested on a cloud. It was still mid-morning, which still gave her plenty of time. She took an apple out of her bag and began to eat it. Smiling, she kept looking around. Each mile spread before her was unpleasant. Her smile faded as she looked down at the half-eaten apple. Did she really know what she was getting herself into? Did she really want to do this?

She shook her head, answering to an unknown entity, "No. I want this." She bit the last bit of her apple and flew off, leaving the core to fall to the lava bed below.

Finally beginning to see green again, her excitement swelled. She eagerly darted her gaze back and forth, waiting for the perfect spot with the right amount of water and resources.

The flight continued on. Still nothing. She was getting that sinking feeling back again, "Please...please just something..." She closed her eyes, as if making a wish. Upon opening them, she saw a valley that instantly called to her, "Wait...Oh my gosh!" Short Hilt sat upon a cloud overlooking the area, "It's...it's perfect..." The valley was incredibly large and a lake was just to the edge. A river flowed right beside it, and there were plenty of trees for construction. A very tall mountain with a crashing waterfall was also a wonderful addition.

Short Hilt flew off the cloud and landed near the edge of the forest. With a large grin, she couldn't contain herself, "Oh, the shops will be on that side, homes will be over there...I can see it now!"

"Ahem."

She spun around, not sure if she was hearing things, "Uh...hello?" Seeing nothing, she kept glancing around.

"What are you doing here?"

"Okay that was definitely something!" She spun around, putting up her guard. She noticed a figure in the shadow of the trees. Her brows furrowed, ready for a ferocious beast to appear. She did let her imagination slip at times.

A tall pony emerged. Her coat was a brilliant cerulean blue. She was an alicorn, as well. Her long ice blue mane hung low and messy, and her eyes were ocean blue with a tinge of fear and false intimidation. She spoke again, but her tone changed to conern, "What are you doing here, young pegasus? Are you lost?"

Short Hilt's eyes widened, "Oh! A local!" She flapped her wings and landed in front of her. She was puny in comparison, "This is perfect!"

The pony before her scowled, annoyed with her new guest, "My patience is thin for outsiders. What are you doing in my home, girl?"

She was taken aback, and finally calmed herself, "Oh, um...I'm sorry. It's just, I was looking around for a place to build a new town and this place is absolutely perfect. I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was somepony living here." She glanced around, "Wait...I don't even see any houses or anything...If this is your home it must be pretty lonely by yourself." She gave her a sympathetic look.

The alicorn sighed, "...My kind is used to it. Equestria claims to be tolerant of all creatures...but it seems as though naturally born alicorns are the exception. So, to avoid unnecessary attention we tend to live alone. Isolated. I have contemplated leaving in hopes of change, but I fear I will only be disappointed."

The purple pegasus thought for a moment. Her eyes beamed with a sudden epiphany, "I just got a great idea!" She flapped about excitedly, "This town of mine...it could be a refuge for all sorts of ponies and non-ponies! A place free of discrimination!"

The alicorn's expression turned to confusion, "Do you really think that will work...? There are some ponies that can be pretty hard set in their beliefs that some don't deserve to exist..."

Short Hilt smiled, "Of course it'll work!" She paused, "So, what's your name? Mine's Short Hilt!"

"Patina." She answered simply.

"Nice to meetcha!" Her smile kept on going, "Now I just need to think of a name!"

Patina tilted her head, trying to actually keep up with the sudden intrusion. But deep down she actually craved companionship. She was eager to learn more about this pony's ambitions.

"Oh, I know! Ponymunity! 'Pony' plus 'Community!'" She beamed.

"I like it," Patina smiled warmly.

"So, I hope you don't mind me asking what your talent is. You've got quite the impressive cutie mark!" Short Hilt noted the mark on Patina's flank, which was a grey figure of an alicorn, "Is it turning ponies to stone? OOH! Or making pony golems??"

Patina lifted her wing and smiled nervously, "Oh, no-no, it's sculpture. That's a long story, though. And, what of you? Yours is rather nice."

"Oh, y'know, saving ponies in distress, fighting monsters, protecting ponies, mostly," She smiled, still in the air.

Patina laughed, "Sounds heroic!" She felt light as a feather. She had the potential to make a new friend, "I must admit, I am very happy you made your way here, Short Hilt. You seem very ambitious and hopefully ponies from across Equestria can benefit from what you're--"

"Alright, time to get to work!" She interrupted and took her new friend by the hoof.

Author's Note:

Oh gosh, I'm kinda dreading the backlash of the alicorn I've introduced. If you didn't read from the previous chapter, this is in an alternate universe where even original species and natural born alicorns exist. I do have reasons for this, I promise. I'm not trying to make super powerful alicorn princess armies. ^^; At least give it a chance, just like you gave MLP a chance in the first place.

Also, thank you for reading! If you would like to see the comic version, I have part of it up on deviantArt. ^^

And now, back to doing dishes. *le sigh*